PDA

View Full Version : I'm losing strength every week....

brandonb
05-25-09, 1:44 pm
Guys, I've been doing Ox's Keto diet for the last eight weeks. I've been very pleased with the results. I started the diet weighing 200 pounds and I'm now tipping the scales at 177. I follow his diet exactly. I changed my workouts in that I now do less weight for 12-15 reps. My only concern is that I'm losing strength every week. When I look in the mirror i can tell a noticable difference from where i started. I've lost a lot of body fat and I feel like I've really maintained 90% of the muscle i had. My question is...should I be losing strength this rapidly. For example, I used to flat bench 225 for reps of eight and squat for 245 for reps of eight. I now have trouble benching 185 for four sets of 12-14 and squating 205 for sets of 12-15.

If you guys say this is normal...fine. I'll keep it up and get as shredded as possible before starting a bulk again. If it is normal how quickly could I anticipate regaining my strength?

shizz702
05-25-09, 1:53 pm
I don't have any experience with keto, so I can't speak from that, but from what I gather it is typical to lose strength on low/no carb diets. Maybe someone with some experience on this can chime in.

bigbull52
05-25-09, 2:06 pm
Completely normal.... Feel your weakest, look your strongest.... It's the evil of dieting, unless your like branch warren who somehow manages to get shredded on 500g of carbs a day or on enough juice to win the kentucky derby your gonna lose your strength....

Elite
05-25-09, 2:14 pm
Ox also stated how he never changed his training, even pre contest. Stayed in the same rep ranges, going for the same weights. Sure you wont be hitting PR's, but you should be holding your numbers and reps

Pizzalamp
05-25-09, 2:14 pm
sorry to hear this
when i did keto last year i was able to keep my strength up...and even increased my strength
i read that u say you began using less weights w/ high reps..did u do this on purpose?
i say always try to lift the same as when u were bulking so u dont lose the muscle u worked for

maybe post up your diet? are u using cheat meals? make sure youre eating enough calories.

IronWilson
05-25-09, 2:18 pm
This is normal for keto. By week 8, you definitely start to feel weak. Also, I'm sure you know this, but are you following Ox's diet exactly like he does it? Because if you are, it is too many calories probably. I just wanted to make sure.

Just hang in there and you'll love the results.

brandonb
05-25-09, 2:33 pm
This is normal for keto. By week 8, you definitely start to feel weak. Also, I'm sure you know this, but are you following Ox's diet exactly like he does it? Because if you are, it is too many calories probably. I just wanted to make sure.

Just hang in there and you'll love the results.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I follow his diet but I eat less portions since I'm much lighter than he is.

BeastCook
05-25-09, 2:37 pm
Its just in your mind.

brandonb
05-25-09, 2:38 pm
sorry to hear this
when i did keto last year i was able to keep my strength up...and even increased my strength
i read that u say you began using less weights w/ high reps..did u do this on purpose?
i say always try to lift the same as when u were bulking so u dont lose the muscle u worked for

maybe post up your diet? are u using cheat meals? make sure youre eating enough calories.

Yes, I changed things up on purpose because i got to the point where i just couldn't do the routine I was doing pre-diet. Also, I've only been doing this religiously for year. So, I'm just trying things...you know trial and error. I noticed that some of the routines posted here, specifically for size and shape, include higher rep ranges. Quite honestly, just from looking in the mirror, I feel that the rep range is serving me well. I can really tell a big difference with shoulders and arms....I'm talking shape.

I may have made a mistake, but I just wanted to try something a little different.

Thanks for all the responses...

Elite
05-25-09, 3:05 pm
Quite honestly, just from looking in the mirror, I feel that the rep range is serving me well.

Thats all you need then bro.
Remember your goal, to cut bodyfat. Cutting can batter you psychologically. You see the BF% is getting less and less, but that thirst for higher numbers in the gym and added muscle is a bitch that never leaves you. But you have to concentrate solely on your main priority as you've set it, to cut to your goal. Play it by what the mirror tells you and listen to your body. Then rebound into the mass/numbers game with a vengeance.

Its usually recommended to stick with the same training principles (within reason), that you followed on your bulk.

OverDose
05-25-09, 3:06 pm
It's normal to lose strength with a Keto diet, after all your muscle glycogen levels are always depleted and that really kicks your ass in the gym, maybe try carb loading for a few days and see how that works for you.

K Stro24
05-25-09, 3:12 pm
Guys, I've been doing Ox's Keto diet for the last eight weeks. I've been very pleased with the results. I started the diet weighing 200 pounds and I'm now tipping the scales at 177. I follow his diet exactly. I changed my workouts in that I now do less weight for 12-15 reps. My only concern is that I'm losing strength every week. When I look in the mirror i can tell a noticable difference from where i started. I've lost a lot of body fat and I feel like I've really maintained 90% of the muscle i had. My question is...should I be losing strength this rapidly. For example, I used to flat bench 225 for reps of eight and squat for 245 for reps of eight. I now have trouble benching 185 for four sets of 12-14 and squating 205 for sets of 12-15.

If you guys say this is normal...fine. I'll keep it up and get as shredded as possible before starting a bulk again. If it is normal how quickly could I anticipate regaining my strength?

Sorry if im just repeating what everyone else said, but taking some amino's like Nitro G or Nitro, will help you preserve your muscle as you are cutting, that is what i have read and believe anyways. As far as your strength goes, it will come back rather quickly due to your muscle memory, it isnt that you are getting "weaker" so to speak, but you just dont have your usual energy levels because you are in a caloric deficit. it is all usually normal on a cut

IronWilson
05-25-09, 3:48 pm
Sorry if im just repeating what everyone else said, but taking some amino's like Nitro G or Nitro, will help you preserve your muscle as you are cutting, that is what i have read and believe anyways. As far as your strength goes, it will come back rather quickly due to your muscle memory, it isnt that you are getting "weaker" so to speak, but you just dont have your usual energy levels because you are in a caloric deficit. it is all usually normal on a cut

Normally, aminos are a great thing on a cut. But in the absence of glycogen, the use of aminos can lead to a state of gluconeogenesis in which your body will use protein (muscle) for energy instead of fat. This equals muscle loss and can potentially throw you out of ketosis. So use of aminos are pretty much out on keto. I know Ox uses them, but he's almost 300 pounds of muscle, and well........ we're not.

mritter3
05-25-09, 4:45 pm
It's normal to lose strength with a Keto diet, after all your muscle glycogen levels are always depleted and that really kicks your ass in the gym, maybe try carb loading for a few days and see how that works for you.

good advice here, do you have any cheat meals or a day to load up on carbs, cuz if you dont you should.

Naturally Huge
05-25-09, 5:20 pm
Welcome to the world of dieting. It happens. The only way to prevent it is to roid up.