PDA

View Full Version : Cooking protein powder

OverDose
05-25-09, 6:40 pm
I've been hearing that exposing protein powder to heat can affect the nutritional value of the protein, which worried me a bit seeing as how i mix whey protein with egg whites and oats and make protein pancakes every morning. What do you guys think, can cooking whey protein powder actually affect the nutritional value of it?

livetobuild5
05-25-09, 10:26 pm
Sorry im not helping your question,,, but protein pancakes??? care to share that recipe?

mritter3
05-25-09, 10:28 pm
I've been hearing that exposing protein powder to heat can affect the nutritional value of the protein, which worried me a bit seeing as how i mix whey protein with egg whites and oats and make protein pancakes every morning. What do you guys think, can cooking whey protein powder actually affect the nutritional value of it?

i have heard that somewhere before....but it wont stop me from making protein pancakes.

deadlifts
05-25-09, 10:57 pm
i have heard that somewhere before....but it wont stop me from making protein pancakes.

Well protein denatures with heat (the reason that people eat raw eggs). I saw an add for some company that makes a protien powder your can cook with but it looked expensive and may not even work

TheDarkHalf
05-25-09, 11:02 pm
I don't think it matters.......you'd have to cook the whey at extreme temperatures to denature it in such a whey (haha) that you'd take away from the caloric and nutritional value of the protein.

As for pancakes, just add a scoop to your pancake batter.

For oats, cook up your oatmeal and then add a scoop of whey.

OverDose
05-25-09, 11:13 pm
well i make my protein pancakes using 7-8 egg whites, 1 scoop of whey, and about 1/2 cup oats, and mixing it all up and then using canola cooking spray and cooking it! I normally top it off with peanut butter too, it melts on top and it's kind of like a substitute for butter...yummm

weedlewott
05-26-09, 1:20 am
Found this for you... It's just a thread on a healthy cooking site, but this is what one of the local "experts" say...

heating proteins denatures them and changes their chemical composition yes. but its most likely that your protein powder was already heated during the drying process. so no damage done

Hope it helps.

TheDarkHalf
05-26-09, 9:33 am
Found this for you... It's just a thread on a healthy cooking site, but this is what one of the local "experts" say...

heating proteins denatures them and changes their chemical composition yes. but its most likely that your protein powder was already heated during the drying process. so no damage done

Hope it helps.

Link?

weedlewott
05-26-09, 10:05 am
ha. knew I forgot something. Give me a few.

GJN5002
05-26-09, 10:41 am

Hope it helps.

Exactly.Most rotein powders are heated during the process of actually making it. Plus, your stomach will denature the protein anyway, so if cooking doesnt do it, your stomach will. Dont worry about it.

livetobuild5
05-26-09, 12:11 pm
well i make my protein pancakes using 7-8 egg whites, 1 scoop of whey, and about 1/2 cup oats, and mixing it all up and then using canola cooking spray and cooking it! I normally top it off with peanut butter too, it melts on top and it's kind of like a substitute for butter...yummm

Chocolate whey correct??

OverDose
05-26-09, 2:19 pm
Chocolate whey correct??

any flavor, i usually use chocolate or strawberry