PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty and The Hell That Follows

solomon_caine
05-26-09, 10:23 pm
Good day, bros. It's 10:00 a.m. here in the Philippines and I worked out last night, incorporating a somewhat "Heavy-Duty" approach to my workout. Heavy Duty is done by,...let's say the exercise is a Barbell Curl. You slam on the weight you can carry that's heavy enough for you to struggle on. Then, count for 10 seconds when you go on the positive and another 10 seconds when going down. You can use three exercises for this workout. Since I just snagged an improvised barbell, which somehow consisted of two cement molds shaped like powdered milk canisters that weigh around 35 to 40 pounds, I did the Heavy Duty routine and it went something like this:

Shoulders
Heavy Duty Seated Military Press
3 sets, 3 reps

Barbell Shrugs(didn't do it here. no reason to do so)
3 of 15

Biceps
Heavy Duty Barbell Curls

3 sets, 4 reps

Triceps
Heavy Duty Overhead Barbell Extensions

3 sets, 3 reps

Abs
Kneeups

3 of 1 to when I give up.

I'm at work and right now, I'm as sore as a kid with fever...but I like it.

solomon_caine
05-28-09, 1:35 am
It's a trip...a trip that I take at night, before I hit the sack and prepare myself for another stressful day ahead.

I have nothing on me; I just go out there like I should. I look at that 'improvised' barbell and it tells me, "You've got no choice. You have no other alternative. I am all that's left here. Use me or leave me alone." Knowing the weight it holds, I think carefully then after a few minutes, I'm doing curls. Rep after rep, I don't stop until I think I've done enough. Then, there's Heavy Duty, wherein the motion going up and down had to take about 10 to 15 seconds on the positive and the negative motion. It only takes three reps, three excruciatingly exhausting reps, and then, you stack it up by doing a normal set to failure.

I felt myself give way, submissive to the sadistic torture at the behest of this hellish regimen. I had no other option...I had no other way...because I had nothing. But I turned it into something I can use and sadistic as it may seem, I like it. The music was loud and it gave fuel to the fire that continually burns inside.

There are times when I never made it past three reps. Sometimes, I'd reach two reps and get exhausted. I was annoyed, pissed and irate. Then again, I wasn't one who'd quit. What the front can't take, the back can actually muster. There I was again, but this time was different. I felt like I was changing into something............inhuman. As I put it down, I felt the itch to resume...but no more....

Brethren, it's a trip we all take. Most of us have gotten there, while some lag behind. This is where I come from. I've lagged behind all my life but never in this game. There are valuable people whom I listen to for advice and then, there are people who can't have the slightest respect in them to just shut the hell up and leave us alone. Tonight,...it'll just be me against that thing on the floor. The morning after, I will be sore.......

....and I like it.

solomon_caine
08-11-09, 8:54 pm
19:06 Aug. 11, 2009

I've been a bit delayed by the over-seemingly tasking pressure caused by my studies, but the focus I have wasn't that strayed. After having done H.I.T. for numerous weeks, it was about damn time I switched to a new method; one that's sure to expend me drastically and change me into something...at least for a little.

Browsing through some photos, documents and facts about "The Shadow", 6-Time Olympian Dorian Yates, it played in my head if I should try his system of workout because I was at my plateau with Mike Mentzer's program. True enough, the "Blood 'n' Guts" brought something out of me that gave me an edge in my workout, coupled by a little cardio or sometimes, none at all. The system went like this: In a barbell curl, for example, you curl real fast with a weight you can carry and then, slowly(in a range of 4 to 6 seconds), you go on the negative phase. This worked for a time until I realized that it won't get me the strength I needed. Realizing this inevitability, I tried worming my way around and to tell you the truth, both equally proved to be real killer.

As stated in Yates’ theory, the dragging part of the curl, for example, is on the negative. I thought, “If them negatives won’t give me strength, maybe slow positives would do the trick.” Like a light bulb in my head, the thought lit up and had me experimenting the next day wondering what’ll happen. It so happened that I was going to do my arms…

Here’s what I’ve found out so far:

1. The positive drag takes about the same time on the ordinary negative drag, but the difference is you gain strength and endurance when you go positive on the curl.

2. The whole thing works ONLY for the upper body so it’s not recommended for work on the lower part.

3. The after-training soreness was quite satisfying.

From there, I’ve made it a point to train with the original theory before training the reverse. Also, I tried to apply H.I.T. techniques to it by dragging the positive for more than 5 seconds.

Only thing left now is for me to decide what to train for later tonight.

D-Bomb
11-10-09, 2:43 pm
Whats up bro, shot for the brother add...interesting workouts.

J-Dawg
07-11-10, 1:19 pm
Subbed for your updates brother. I like the improvised weights. Reminds me of my first few years of training when me and my friend would train outside with weights that we made from cement. Keep training hard with the blood and guts style. There's nothing quite like focused negatives to hone in on muscle development.

solomon_caine
06-28-11, 7:31 pm
Subbed for your updates brother. I like the improvised weights. Reminds me of my first few years of training when me and my friend would train outside with weights that we made from cement. Keep training hard with the blood and guts style. There's nothing quite like focused negatives to hone in on muscle development.

thanks, bro. tho they told me that BnG is on a cycled basis wherein i have to let myself grow for the time and then proceed with it few weeks or days after. i'd revert back to the normal cycle where it's 3-5 of 15 reps or 12. i'd have to allow myself some room to grow, right?