PDA

View Full Version : Flat bench, from friend to enemy

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 5:10 pm
Hello, fbp is rlly starting to piss me off. I just can't push any more weight! I can't reach my goal of 205x8. I got 200x8 ages ago. Well this guy at the gym suggested I start with inclines "mix it up" is wut he said... Did that and was fantastic, got a great pump and my incline jumped 145-175 (guess doing it 2nd made me tired). But then I when I moved to flat icouldnt even move 205... Should I keep doing inclines and get my poundage to 190-200 ish and go back to flat and hopefully it will increase? Could it be my doing my rouinte ( flatbench,Inc bench and flies) for too long and was getting stale?

Much thanks

t_mh
06-01-09, 5:16 pm
Just a warning: When it comes to asking why you're getting weaker, a lot of guys are gonna want to see your diet. It can be a huge part. It might be worth throwing that in...

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 5:26 pm
I'm not rlly gettig weaker just staying the same.

Diet:

Snacks: yougurt(180 cals) fruit, milk

Breakfest: bowl of milk(yes bowl, not glass)
Fruit and somtimes eggs (400-600 cals)

Lunch: two or three sandwichs(turkey tuna or beef) + lots of junk(no lunch at school so I'm trying to get high cal foods. Cookies,brownies...ect. Usally adds up to 1000 cal lunch.

Dinner: rice chicken potatos pasta...ect adds up to 600 cals.

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 5:29 pm
Diets hard when ur parents buy the food. Being 15 is tough

GJN5002
06-01-09, 6:06 pm

Much repsect for you dedication at age 15, but your diet is horrible. Get more protein in there somehow. Get your mom to buy extra milk and drink more milk if that sall you can do.

Next, change up your training, youve hit a plateau and need achange of pace.

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 6:16 pm
Much repsect for you dedication at age 15, but your diet is horrible. Get more protein in there somehow. Get your mom to buy extra milk and drink more milk if that sall you can do.

Next, change up your training, youve hit a plateau and need achange of pace.

you mean change up the training how so? should i continue this incline first then flat routine which i just started? also im drinking milk right now haha.

musclealchemist
06-01-09, 6:50 pm
You need to try and eat 6 times a day and need to get in wayy more carbs and calories. If you want to grow, you gotta get in at least 3000 calories a day. I know your parents are getting your food but make them buy you some more or something. To change your work out, try out different styles of flat bench, say start doing flat bench with dumbells instead. I actually never use the bar because it hurts my shoulders. Also are you working out every muscle group? Because if you arent, this will slow your gains; if you want true growth you need to work out everything muscle group. Squating and Deadlifting will help you grow also.

shizz702
06-01-09, 8:04 pm
What's your current routine and how long have you been doing it?

For your diet, the simplest thing you can do to add in some extra much needed cals and protein is add in at least two protein shakes inbetween meals.

Go over to a local vitamin/supplement shop or have your folks order it for you online.

This would be your best bet right here: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Gains-Chocolate-Universal-Nutrition/dp/B000RZCET8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1243900215&sr=8-1

Two servings of that a day in milk would do wonders for you.

You can get 2 shaker bottles like these: http://www.amazon.com/Bodytech-Shaker-Bottle-piece/dp/B00012NDVU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1243900269&sr=1-4

Put the scoops of real gains in them in advance, and have them when need be at school or what not.

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 8:45 pm
Ight I'll get my diet in check

So should I take the guys advice? Quit flat bench and move to incline only and start making gains on that then a few weeks later switch back? I love this new routine where I'm doing inclines first(to "mix" it up) instead of my usaul flat first, but my tris alwas give out b4 I can do flat with my usual weight after the incs? Should I rest longer between the two exercises?

Btw I'm not a curl/bench guy Lol I love deads(can do more then x2 bw for reps) rows,squats, mil press...ect

shizz702
06-01-09, 8:48 pm
Post up your current routine and we'll go from there.

We need to see your routine so we can see if it is optimal or not.

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 9:16 pm
Mon

Flat bench x3 6-8
Inc bp x3 6-8
Flies 3x8
Pull over 3x8

Tues

Deads 5x4
Row 5x5
Chins 8x3
T rows 12x2
One arm row 8x3

Weds

Off

Thrus

Mil press 8x4
Lat raise 10x3
Cg bench 5x5
Skull crush 8x3
Curls 8x3

Fri
Squats 5x5
Lunges 16x3
Leg curls(quad) 10x3
Leg curls (hams) 10x3
Calf raise 10x3

shizz702
06-01-09, 9:27 pm
Routine doesn't look too bad.

Since gaining strength in the bench is your main goal right now, be sure to hit it first so you are fresh and can put the bulk of your energy towards it.

Try going for lower reps on it instead. It gets tough to add weight on the bar when doing 6+ reps, but you can gain strength quite rapidly by doing pure strength training with low reps of 3 or less.

Try doing 3 sets of 3, and add 5 lbs to the bar each workout.

Also, hit incline press with dumbbells, since that will be a nice swich, and it will also help work your stablizer muscles more.

K Stro24
06-01-09, 9:37 pm
As its been said, you can switch it up to dumbells, sometimes your bench may not be improving because your leaving the work for your accessory muscles, could give dumbells a go and see what happens. But, and what i see that you can change up is, switch out your pullovers, and try some weighted chest dips, it will put the pounds on you and make you grow which will lead to strength and viola, your bench increases as well. Hope this helps bro, its just my .02 cents

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 9:41 pm
willing doing a 3x3 still get me good growth(mass)? or maybe i can do low reps on the flat and higher on the inc for hypertrophy?

thanks x10000 guys.

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 9:45 pm
As its been said, you can switch it up to dumbells, sometimes your bench may not be improving because your leaving the work for your accessory muscles, could give dumbells a go and see what happens. But, and what i see that you can change up is, switch out your pullovers, and try some weighted chest dips, it will put the pounds on you and make you grow which will lead to strength and viola, your bench increases as well. Hope this helps bro, its just my .02 cents

i've actually never done them before(dips) imma check them out. thx

G Diesel
06-01-09, 9:56 pm
I don't think you should be eating 6 meals a day like a bodybuilder at 15. I say enjoy your life, train hard and eat like a horse--tell Mom you love her food and are hungry all the time. If you want anything bad enough, you'll be consistent. But don't burn yourself out so young. As for the bench, we can fix that.

Peace, G

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 10:15 pm
I don't think you should be eating 6 meals a day like a bodybuilder at 15. I say enjoy your life, train hard and eat like a horse--tell Mom you love her food and are hungry all the time. If you want anything bad enough, you'll be consistent. But don't burn yourself out so young. As for the bench, we can fix that.

Peace, G

Great advice, thanks.

K Stro24
06-01-09, 10:19 pm

Peace, G

I'd agree with G, at 15, you're gonna grow no matter what you throw down your throat, eat lots, anything and everything in sight, and just stick to the basic compound movements which you are and you will see improvement.

As far as chest dips, give em a try, they will really beef you up, nice compound movement that works your triceps, shoulders, and chest. At first, they may be tough and you may struggle, it takes some skill to master em, and you'll be good to go

Powerboy93
06-01-09, 10:29 pm
Ight thx, guys.

G Diesel
06-02-09, 12:39 pm
As for the bench try this program using a spotter (adjust the weights slightly if need be)...

Week 1:
Flat Barbell BP: 4 sets, 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 195 x 6, 215 x 4
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets x 12, 8, 6 reps
Flat DB Flyes: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8 reps

Week 2:
Flat Barbell BP: 4 sets, 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 205 x 4, 225 x 4
Incline DB Press: 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
Incline DB Flyes: 3 sets x 12 reps each

Week 3:
Incline Barbell Press: 4 sets, 135 x 10, 155 x 6, 165 x 6, 185 x 4
Flat DB Press: 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
Incline DB Flyes: 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps

Week 4:
Flat Barbell BP: 4 sets, 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 205 x 8, 225 to failure
Incline DB Press: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8 reps
Incline DB Flyes: 3 sets x 12 reps

By week 4, 205 should feel much lighter to you. Getting used to handling the heavier weights will make 205 seem far less daunting over time. A program like this should build a bigger and stronger chest. See if that helps bro.

Peace, G

Aggression
06-02-09, 12:43 pm
G knows what it takes to build a big bench. I've seen the dude in action. Listen to his advice and your bench press problems with be a thing of the past ...

fenix237
06-02-09, 1:07 pm
As for the bench try this program using a spotter (adjust the weights slightly if need be)...

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

By week 4, 205 should feel much lighter to you. Getting used to handling the heavier weights will make 205 seem far less daunting over time. A program like this should build a bigger and stronger chest. See if that helps bro.

Peace, G

hey bro,

does this program work for most trainees or is it more novice oriented. after a summer trim down, i want to get back to building up my bench and would maybe like to give this try...

thnx G!

TheDarkHalf
06-02-09, 1:12 pm
Hello, fbp is rlly starting to piss me off. I just can't push any more weight! I can't reach my goal of 205x8. I got 200x8 ages ago. Well this guy at the gym suggested I start with inclines "mix it up" is wut he said... Did that and was fantastic, got a great pump and my incline jumped 145-175 (guess doing it 2nd made me tired). But then I when I moved to flat icouldnt even move 205... Should I keep doing inclines and get my poundage to 190-200 ish and go back to flat and hopefully it will increase? Could it be my doing my rouinte ( flatbench,Inc bench and flies) for too long and was getting stale?

Much thanks

What the hell is everyone talking about here???? Not one person has mentioned technique! Have you looked at your technique? Maybe you just don't know how to fucking bench. Technique is everything. This video should help you analyze your current technique and help identify what you are doing wrong (if anything).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

G Diesel
06-02-09, 1:18 pm
What the hell is everyone talking about here???? Not one person has mentioned technique! Have you looked at your technique? Maybe you just don't know how to fucking bench. Technique is everything. This video should help you analyze your current technique and help identify what you are doing wrong (if anything).

There is also a difference between a powerlfiting bench and a bbing bench. One suited simply to move weight versus one best suited to enhance chest development. Since we were talking about 8 reps, I assumed we were talking about a back flat, hands shoulder width or wider bodybuilding bench.

I'm of the opinion that many of us were not so blessed as to know how to bench or to use precision accurate powerlifting form like Dave Tate at the tender age of 15.

Peace, G

G Diesel
06-02-09, 1:20 pm
hey bro,

does this program work for most trainees or is it more novice oriented. after a summer trim down, i want to get back to building up my bench and would maybe like to give this try...

thnx G!

Sure it is simple enough, just adjust the weights as necessary to suit your personal strength level and weight goals. Powerboy93 was working toward a goal of 205 x 8.

Peace, G

fenix237
06-02-09, 1:36 pm
Sure it is simple enough, just adjust the weights as necessary to suit your personal strength level and weight goals. Powerboy93 was working toward a goal of 205 x 8.

Peace, G

not to hi-jack the OP's thread but i'm stagnating in the 420-430 range and i'm having a hard time making progress- i was benching 2x /week but now my shoulder is protesting a bit. i want to drop to once/wk to reduce the frequency and give more time to recover.

is this an optimal program for me? should i be working towards doing a set of 6 with 405 or a 1RM of 455- i have yet to use chains/bands- any tips?

thnx again G!

'C' Huck
06-02-09, 1:54 pm

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Peace, G

I agree with G here, I know my bench was lacking and so I did 3 weeks of Flat DB presses, Flat Fly's, Incl. DB Presses and Incl. Flys. I also hit the Close Grip press pretty hard and Dips. Getting that extra stretch using DB's on the flat and incl. felt like it gave me a little more power building those muscles and the supporting muscles.

If you can get your meals in check the I would say hit the DB's for a few weeks and then go back and I'm pretty sure you will break your barrier.

TheDarkHalf
06-02-09, 2:08 pm
There is also a difference between a powerlfiting bench and a bbing bench. One suited simply to move weight versus one best suited to enhance chest development. Since we were talking about 8 reps, I assumed we were talking about a back flat, hands shoulder width or wider bodybuilding bench.

I'm of the opinion that many of us were not so blessed as to know how to bench or to use precision accurate powerlifting form like Dave Tate at the tender age of 15.

Peace, G

Very true G! However the OP was complaining about not being able to push anymore weight. I've always felt if you want to stack on the plates your form definitely needs to be in-check above all else....hence my concern.

I too agree that we all could have benefited from Dave Tate at an earlier age, so hopefully this vid will aid the young buck in getting his form down early. I was just shocked that no one else had mentioned technique, especially because of his age. Good stuff G!

Powerboy93
06-02-09, 3:13 pm
Looks good G, i'll try it out

BeastCook
06-02-09, 5:26 pm
well your only 15, your still very young so youl start getting stronger as you keep training over time, i was like you, over a 5 month span i was doin the same weights, but all of a sudden i got stronger over night without any supps, it really comes down to diet, and rest, my tip is if you wanna get stronger try a powerlifter routine, but other than that if your doing a bodybuilders training split the power gains will come over a long time

t_mh
06-02-09, 5:37 pm

Nice link. Thanks. I wish I had a guy like that to coach me. Hell, I wish I had a consistent spotter...

shizz702
06-02-09, 7:43 pm
G knows his shit, follow his routine and don't change or add anything.

And don't forget to eat! As said you don't need to eat 6+ meals at your age but just make sure you aren't slacking in the eating department.

Muscleguy93
06-08-09, 5:17 pm
Hey guys I followed Gs routine just did week 1 today me and the op are very similar I've also been stuck on 205x6 .

Everthing went well except my flat bp:
135x10(very eayse)
185x7(missed)
195x5(missed)
Couldn't even move 215x1...werid cuz I have been doing low reps awhileback and I did 220x3. I still got a great pump though, it was sick. It seems like my chest is growing even though I'm making no progress on flat bp? Also should I do this week over?

Thx fellas

strivin for more
06-08-09, 9:04 pm

im at 15 too bro, and i know theres stuff at my school to eat, and i buy my own protein powder for the days where i cant get the food in (and yea i got my shakes in during class too) so if there's a will, there's a way.