PDA

View Full Version : 2 years off...time to get back

Clydesdale
06-01-09, 9:19 pm
Alright heres the deal. I spent 2 years off this forum and most anything else. I had a few injuries torn up cartilage, skrewed up my spine ( 3 inches out of alignment to right when viewed from back) and a few other miss steps. Basically I needed time off to heal. I think it was time well spent. I have nearly full recovery from everything and am ready to get back in.

the down side is I have lost much of my former physique. Previously i was walking year round at 185lb, 7% body fat, benching 365, squatting 410, good all around size and power for my liking.
now I really hate to look in the mirror or down at my body at all, my abs are gone, tone or defenition of any sort is completely lacking. I am 165lb at about 20% body fat, I know my strength has dropped significantly and I get winded way too fast.

from you the animal nation. what say you the best course for my return to the life?
I am thinking in my head, cardio everyday, and start with light workouts to get comfortable again, but one side of me is telling me to go balls out but take the risk of not being able to handle it well.

IronWilson
06-02-09, 12:37 am
I would say just to train as you normally did, except be cautious around your injuries. Be especially careful with your back. You may not want to deadlifts, at least yet.

Oh, and props for taking the time off. Sometimes it takes more balls to sit it out and wait than just doing something you want.

Clydesdale
06-02-09, 5:55 pm
thanks for the reply, apperently this isn't a very liked topic, no one else wants to reply. I started yesterday and damn it felt good to be moving again. the funny thing is I had a great pump in just 40 mins of working out, almost like my body is just calling out for more. I can't wait to see what happens when I hit it today.

ronnie
06-02-09, 7:02 pm
get your body familiar with all your lifts again, lift a weight that works the muscle but not to the point of being tired. perhaps work on some flexability for each body part at then end of each workout. once you feel like you have all the motions down and are comfortable with them all id say just step up your intensity and work load in baby steps each week. listen to your body.

those stats you wrote about your past physique (past NOT meaning it is something you wont be able achieve again) is awesome! the strength you had at that weight is amazing!

Clydesdale
06-03-09, 4:55 am
ronnie, thanks for the compliment on my former self, I know it will take some hard work to get there but its very acheivable. I have learned to heed my bodies warnings better as well.

ronnie
06-03-09, 11:14 am
out of curiosity, how did you shift your spine so much?

Clydesdale
06-05-09, 4:08 am
hehehe, well I work on a lot of Hawaiian restoration projects, mainly re-building rock walls, I think i just happened over time when i am carrying heavy stones on my shoulders, or moving logs and carrying stuff like that and being in a weird leaning position. the doc actually said he was suprised I could move, I told him I used to pain. He said that if it got worse I had a chance it could have damaged my spinal cord

Big Rich
06-13-09, 4:19 pm
Getting back in the game is only half of the hurdle - The other half is staying in.
Your muscles have memory and they will respond quickly if you get back into a routine.
Good Luck & stay strong mentally & physically.