PDA

View Full Version : Question on Workout and where to place cardio

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 12:55 pm
Here is my routine with cardio. How does the routine look? My goal is to keep up my strength while using cardio to cut off some fat. I do Cardio 4 times a week, but the person who helped me with the routine made it very important that I ran outside for 40-45 minutes on cardio days. I did it for week 1, but my knees were killing me. I'm also worried that running for 40 minutes nonstop on an empty stomach is hindering my progress.

Should I keep running on the street or switch iit to HIT or some other variation of cardio? Help please!

Monday
Two Minute Rest between each set and 3 mins between movements

Incline Dumbbell Press 4 x 8
Dumbbell Flys (flat or incline) 4 x 8
Dips 4 x 10
Calves ?
Leg Raises 4 x 20

Tuesday - 40 minute cardio
Lat Pulldowns 4 x 12
Wide Grip Rear Pulldowns 4 x 12

Superset - 1 minute rest do it 5 xs
Cable Rows(Think of the trainer) x 8
Single Arm Dumbbell Rows x 8

Wednesday - 45 minutes cardio

Thursday - 40 Minute Cardio

Superset Rest 2 mins, do it 4 times
Standing Lateral Raises x 8
Lateral Raises x 8
Dumbbell Upright Rows x 8

Seated Bent Over Lateral Raises 4 x 10
Shrugs 4 x 15

Friday
Bicep Barbell Curls - 4x10
Preacher dumb bell Curl - 4x8
Standing Dumbbell Curl - 4x10
Tricep Cable Pushdowns - 4 x 12
Dips - 4x10
Standing Barbell Extensions - 4x12
skull crushers 4x8
Abs crunches - 20x4

Saturday - 40 Min running cardio
Calf Raises - 20x4
Squats 4x8
Deadlift 5x5
Leg Press 4x12
Leg Raises 4x20

fenix237
06-10-09, 1:03 pm
bad idea

if you are trying to keep muscle while burning bodyfat, running for 45 minutes on an empty stomach is counter productive. you will be burning muscle! you are much better off to do fasted cardio at 120-130 BPM

also do 30 minutes post weight workout to burn more cals/fat. many take aminos (like Nitro)after the weights, but before the tread to prevent catabolism

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 1:13 pm
I was thinking the same, but was becoming unsure. I take aminos during my workout and during my cardio usually.

So 40 mins in the AM at 130-140bpm and follow it up with another 40mins after my workout? Or decrease it some?

fenix237
06-10-09, 1:23 pm
130-140 is still to high from what i understand- if your intensity is too high your body will break down muscle as that is a quicker fuel source then fat.

40 mins is fine PWO, taking some aminos is a good idea.

post your diet and some of the bros here will get you dialed in- try tapering off the carbs towards the end of the day, maybe have chicken/fish/steak salads and whey shakes for the last 3 meals

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 1:54 pm
My diet. Thinking of lowering the carbs more on non workout days and only having carbs pre/post workout.

2200 Calories a day
314g of Protein
125g of Carbs
50g of Fat

Meal 1 8am
ANPB 2 tbsp
2 Scoops Whey
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
Calories 464 57g Protein 34g Carbs 20g Fat

Meal #2 11am
8oz Chicken Breast
Calories 377 71g Protein 0 Carbs 8g Fat

Meal #3 2pm
2 Scoop Whey
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
Calories 358 49g Protein 29g C 5g Fat

5pm workout

Meal#4 6pm Post Workout
Torrent
302 Calories 20g Protein 52g Carbs 1.5g Fat

Meal #5
5 Oz Chicken Breast
Calories 231 43.4g protein 0g carbs 5g fat

Meal #6
ANPB 2 tbsp
3 Scoop Whey
Calories 522 74g Protein 9g Carbs 19g Fat

Totals

314g Protein, 125g Carbs 57g Fat
Calories 2254

Aggression
06-10-09, 2:00 pm
My diet. Thinking of lowering the carbs more on non workout days and only having carbs pre/post workout.

2200 Calories a day
314g of Protein
125g of Carbs
50g of Fat

Meal 1 8am
ANPB 2 tbsp
2 Scoops Whey
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
Calories 464 57g Protein 34g Carbs 20g Fat

Meal #2 11am
8oz Chicken Breast
Calories 377 71g Protein 0 Carbs 8g Fat

Meal #3 2pm
2 Scoop Whey
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
Calories 358 49g Protein 29g C 5g Fat

5pm workout

Meal#4 6pm Post Workout
Torrent
302 Calories 20g Protein 52g Carbs 1.5g Fat

Meal #5
5 Oz Chicken Breast
Calories 231 43.4g protein 0g carbs 5g fat

Meal #6
ANPB 2 tbsp
3 Scoop Whey
Calories 522 74g Protein 9g Carbs 19g Fat

Totals

314g Protein, 125g Carbs 57g Fat
Calories 2254

I'd suggest getting some more whole food in your diet. 4 out of 6 meals are whey shakes. Also, you need to eat a bit more. A chicken breast alone isn't really sufficient. Try adding some greens to those meals or some fats, at least. I would use a shake post workout and again before bed. Eat whole foods during the other 4 meals. It will give your body a better/harder/drier look. For cardio, do it post workout. Follow the training/cardio with your pwo shake.

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 2:23 pm
I'm trying to eat more whole food. Its a work in progress. I don't get hungry and usually have to force feed myself. The shakes make it so I get enough protein when I can't stomach food.

fenix237
06-10-09, 2:30 pm
you ahve to train yourself to eat even when you're not hungry, but i know where you are coming from. once you get used to eating your meals at the right times, you will find out that it's easier and, if your traing hard enough, you will be hungry. i find it harder to eat when i'm not hungery than to stop eating bad foods

prepare your meals ahead of time and eat them- just do it!

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 2:32 pm
I do prep them ahead of time. I just can't stand eating any more chicken =P. It seems like I can always eat bad stuff, but am never hungry for good stuff. I'm slowly adding more and more food as I go.

fenix237
06-10-09, 2:40 pm
sounds like you need to visit the recipe section here or TreeTrunkLegs' thread- there are lots of ways to prepare healthy meals that taste fantastic! if you are eating the same thing day in and day out it will get old. once you get into a rythym of eating the right shit at the right times, you will literally feel much better and your progress will take off- once a week, give yourself a cheat meal and eat anything you want

nobody said this game is easy

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 2:45 pm
I know it's definitely not easy =). I've been forcing down food all morning. I'm just saying I tried the hardcore route and force feeding myself, but it didnt work. So now i'm trying to introduce more whole food slowly. Otherwise I miss whole meals cause I feel full.

Anyways! So anything wrong with the routine or does it look okay? I think its the only thing that hasnt been touched on. More advice on cardio and diet is welcome as well!

If it helps i'm at 18% bodyfat looking to get to 10% (195-200lbs atm).

fenix237
06-10-09, 3:10 pm
stay the course brother! if you are trying to cut your bodyfat in half- you should not be "pounding" food down all day- it's a fine balance when dieting to lose fat while preserving muscle- i'm going to let somebody else chime in and give you feedback on your workout routine- there's nothing wrong with it per se, but it may not be ideal while dropping weight

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 3:11 pm
I agree, but me pounding food is still barely 2,200 calories =P. I'm struggling to get that in. I fail at the eating aspect....Definitely the thing i'm trying my hardest to work on.

Aggression
06-10-09, 3:19 pm
I agree, but me pounding food is still barely 2,200 calories =P. I'm struggling to get that in. I fail at the eating aspect....Definitely the thing i'm trying my hardest to work on.

The eating aspect is the most important part, brother. It all comes down to how bad you want it. Everyone here is in the same situation. Chicken day in, day out, having a hard time gagging down their foods. Shit, I used to have 7 meals per day, 3-4 of them were shakes. I thought I was doing good. It wasn't until I met with my training partner, and he slapped me around a bit. Now I'm eating 5,500+ calories per day, and only ONE of them is a shake (Torrent). I'll tell you this, my body has taken a totally different form. When its 11pm and I'm staring at 9oz chicken, 6oz sweet potato and a cup of greens, I'm on the verge of puking. But I down the food and go to bed, only to wake up at 6am and repeat. At the time, you think it sucks and you can't do it. But when you finish your meal, you realize it wasn't that bad, and that you are better off.

SelfInflicted
06-10-09, 3:28 pm
I can't say nothing to that. I need to stop being so forgiving on myself in this department and just hit it hard.