PDA

View Full Version : Mass and Building Routine

Ashr1
06-10-09, 3:47 pm
Hi Guys,
I've asked this question previously, but with no real response, :( I'm really hoping sum1 can really help me this time...

I'm following this routine for serious mass and power gains and everything in the routine is spot on. All makes sense, however there is no 'direct' shoulder routine...

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=48&section=training%0A

I understand that the chest routines will work the front delts as a secondry muscle, and to some degree also work the the rear delts... but how about side lats and rear lats?

I modified the routine a little and added D/B shoulder presses, side lats and rear lats along with the Deadlift day... but you guys can imagine, after a 5 set deadlift session and a 5 set shrug session, doing 15 sets of shoulder exercises is an effin piss take...

Any advice will be much appreciated....

PLEASE NOTE: ALL MY ROUTINES LAST FOR 8 WEEKS... I def have to go to a more 'chilled' routine after 8 weeks to save my joints.... i know you guys know what i mean!! :)

C.Coronato
06-10-09, 3:54 pm
Hey man your best bet would be to tweak it and make it work for you. There may be many reasons why that one article didnt include shoulders directly, could be a possibly injury, or they are way over developed and they were working on bringing up the rest of the body.

BeastCook
06-10-09, 3:57 pm
Hi Guys,
I've asked this question previously, but with no real response, :( I'm really hoping sum1 can really help me this time...

I'm following this routine for serious mass and power gains and everything in the routine is spot on. All makes sense, however there is no 'direct' shoulder routine...

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=48&section=training%0A

I understand that the chest routines will work the front delts as a secondry muscle, and to some degree also work the the rear delts... but how about side lats and rear lats?

I modified the routine a little and added D/B shoulder presses, side lats and rear lats along with the Deadlift day... but you guys can imagine, after a 5 set deadlift session and a 5 set shrug session, doing 15 sets of shoulder exercises is an effin piss take...

Any advice will be much appreciated....

PLEASE NOTE: ALL MY ROUTINES LAST FOR 8 WEEKS... I def have to go to a more 'chilled' routine after 8 weeks to save my joints.... i know you guys know what i mean!! :)

try something like this

day 1 chest, delts, triceps

incline bench press
bench press
military press
reverse pec deck
lying skullcrushers
dips

day 2 rest

day 3 legs
squats
stiff leg deadlift
leg press
leg curl

day 4 rest

day 5 back, biceps, traps

pulldowns
barbell row
wide grip chins
dumbbell row
barbell shrug
preacher curl
dumbbell hammer curl

day 6, 7 rest

that should put on some decent size/power

Ashr1
06-10-09, 4:04 pm
try something like this

day 1 chest, delts, triceps

incline bench press
bench press
military press
reverse pec deck
lying skullcrushers
dips

day 2 rest

day 3 legs
squats
stiff leg deadlift
leg press
leg curl

day 4 rest

day 5 back, biceps, traps

pulldowns
barbell row
wide grip chins
dumbbell row
barbell shrug
preacher curl
dumbbell hammer curl

day 6, 7 rest

that should put on some decent size/power

Cheers buddy!

Do you recomend 5 sets as per the link? (4 heavy sets, 1 light?) or...

BeastCook
06-10-09, 6:19 pm
Cheers buddy!

Do you recomend 5 sets as per the link? (4 heavy sets, 1 light?) or...

for each exercise do about 2 light warm up sets of like 10-15 not to failure, but just to feel the weight, and then do 3 working sets of about 6-10, theres really no reason to go back down and have a light set, and use full range of motion, remember if you wanna see results, dont cheat!

Ashr1
06-10-09, 6:27 pm
for each exercise do about 2 light warm up sets of like 10-15 not to failure, but just to feel the weight, and then do 3 working sets of about 6-10, theres really no reason to go back down and have a light set, and use full range of motion, remember if you wanna see results, dont cheat!

Hi mate,

For as long as Ive been training, Ive been doing something called the 5x5 warmup routine...
Im sure u know wot it is, but if u dnt...
5 sets for warm up, weight goes up from the bar only to about 60% of your working weight.
This is only done at the beginning of the training day...
so on legs day, warmup will be with squats, then another 5 sets of squats using working weight.

On chest day, warmup will be 5 x 5 routine on bench press, then the actual 5 sets of the bench with working weight... and so on...

With thsi routine, I know Im properly warmed up, and the blood is where it should be... :)

The theory behind the final light set was "to pump protein rich blood into the working muscles"...
wot do u think of this idea?

(hope im not doing your head in!) lol!

BeastCook
06-10-09, 9:12 pm
Hi mate,

For as long as Ive been training, Ive been doing something called the 5x5 warmup routine...
Im sure u know wot it is, but if u dnt...
5 sets for warm up, weight goes up from the bar only to about 60% of your working weight.
This is only done at the beginning of the training day...
so on legs day, warmup will be with squats, then another 5 sets of squats using working weight.

On chest day, warmup will be 5 x 5 routine on bench press, then the actual 5 sets of the bench with working weight... and so on...

With thsi routine, I know Im properly warmed up, and the blood is where it should be... :)

The theory behind the final light set was "to pump protein rich blood into the working muscles"...
wot do u think of this idea?

(hope im not doing your head in!) lol!

thats fine, but you gota find what works for you, like for example its takes some people to use 8-12 reps to gain size, its really just comes down to genetics, for squats i would do 10-15 on that, ive found my best side gains from using high reps with certain lifts

GLHF
06-10-09, 9:39 pm
ive found that i gotta mix thing up a lot and all the time. while im gaining strength I change every single lift I do every 2 weeks, and i max out or im close to the 1 rep all the time. When going for size its kinda different. Ive never went for size before so Im gonna see how that goes.