PDA

View Full Version : triceps two days in a row?

cesmeister
06-15-09, 12:36 pm
So my tricep workout last night sucked because i ended up having 2 other people train with me instead of one. It was after a great back workout and consisted of rope (warmup), vbar, CG bench and one arm DB extensions (overhead). with my shoulder workout today i just wanna hit them with dips and some skulls. Dont give me the whole rest lecture (with all due respect of course, brothers) but would that be that bad of an idea?

-thanks

GJN5002
06-15-09, 12:52 pm
i fyou dont want a lecture about rest and recovery why ask if its a bad idea?

cesmeister
06-15-09, 1:08 pm
im saying if i were to hit them at different angles with different movements just to get a pump going would it be ok

pmug0000
06-15-09, 2:16 pm
there's no need to work your tri's two days in a row even if you feel like you didn't get the best workout yesterday. Just hit them harder next week. Plus your tri's will be involved as a secondary muscle in some shoulder exercises anyway

shizz702
06-15-09, 2:41 pm
Never work a muscle group two days in a row. Get it done right the first time and use this as a lesson to never let this happen again. Treat each workout as if it were your last regardless of circumstance.

MVP
06-15-09, 3:13 pm
So my tricep workout last night sucked because i ended up having 2 other people train with me instead of one. It was after a great back workout and consisted of rope (warmup), vbar, CG bench and one arm DB extensions (overhead). with my shoulder workout today i just wanna hit them with dips and some skulls. Dont give me the whole rest lecture (with all due respect of course, brothers) but would that be that bad of an idea?

-thanks

You should ideally wait 48 hours in between training a muscle group directly.

Muscle tissue is never fully repaired when you train it, so if someone tells you "wait until it's fully repaired" they're recommending you to take weeks off training.

If you plan on training with frequency you'll need to adjust the volume and intensity as necessary.

live2lift
06-15-09, 3:53 pm
im saying if i were to hit them at different angles with different movements just to get a pump going would it be ok

No disrespect but I think your problem here is that you think that if you hit them from different angles then you are okay...IMO working triceps is working triceps regardless of what "angle" you work them from which is going to cut into your recovery time. This is just my 2 cents though...take it or leave it. I personally wouldn't do it but thats me.

MVP
06-15-09, 4:22 pm
No disrespect but I think your problem here is that you think that if you hit them from different angles then you are okay...IMO working triceps is working triceps regardless of what "angle" you work them from which is going to cut into your recovery time. This is just my 2 cents though...take it or leave it. I personally wouldn't do it but thats me.

There are three heads of the triceps, long head, short head and medial head.

Therefore hitting them at different angles is necessary.

Dedicated
06-15-09, 4:42 pm
There are three heads of the triceps, long head, short head and medial head.

Therefore hitting them at different angles is necessary.

He never said it wasn't necessary to attack the tris at all angles. It's just impossible to completely isolate your tricep work to one of the three heads. Therefore, he doesn't need to come back the next day and try to hit them at a different angle.

You don't need to hit them again bro. Get em' next week.

MVP
06-15-09, 5:10 pm
He never said it wasn't necessary to attack the tris at all angles. It's just impossible to completely isolate your tricep work to one of the three heads. Therefore, he doesn't need to come back the next day and try to hit them at a different angle.

The way I read it he said "hitting the triceps is hitting the triceps regardless of the angle".

Yes, it's impossible to completely isolate the triceps, but some angles hit some areas better than others. For example overhead triceps extensions tend to hit the long head better than any of the other angles.

Dedicated
06-15-09, 5:22 pm
The way I read it he said "hitting the triceps is hitting the triceps regardless of the angle".

Yes, it's impossible to completely isolate the triceps, but some angles hit some areas better than others. For example overhead triceps extensions tend to hit the long head better than any of the other angles.

Yes, I know this.

Keeping in context with this thread, you shouldn't do triceps exercises one day to isolate one head, then try to isolate a different one on the next day because, as a whole, no matter what movement you're doing all three heads are being worked.

MVP
06-15-09, 5:33 pm
Yes, I know this.

Keeping in context with this thread, you shouldn't do triceps exercises one day to isolate one head, then try to isolate a different one on the next day because, as a whole, no matter what movement you're doing all three heads are being worked.

I never said you should isolate one head one day then the other head the next day?

I only said hitting it at different angles is necessary to work the three heads.

Dedicated
06-15-09, 5:48 pm
I never said you should isolate one head one day then the other head the next day?

I only said hitting it at different angles is necessary to work the three heads.
Sorry bro, not meaning to be a dick or anything, but the whole thread is in context of doing tri's two days in a row. No one ever disagreed with you about working different exercises to hit the three heads.

MVP
06-15-09, 5:55 pm
Sorry bro, not meaning to be a dick or anything, but the whole thread is in context of doing tri's two days in a row. No one ever disagreed with you about working different exercises to hit the three heads.

The message I quoted said "don't worry about hitting triceps at different angles, if you're working the triceps you're working the triceps".

All I said was it is necessary to hit them at different angles. I never stated anything about frequency of direct triceps stimulus.

Hitting the triceps directly back to back days is unnecessary.

But if you're doing shoulders on Thursday and arms on Friday, it's fine.

LegendKillerJosh
06-16-09, 12:22 pm
Patience, young grasshopper. Do you need your triceps to be bigger by the end of the week? Just rest. Hitting them from "different angles" won't matter. Don't overtrain.

live2lift
06-16-09, 1:58 pm

This is exactly what I was trying to say...you cannot isolate a certain head of the triceps...working the tris is working the tris. MVP if you want to continue to think that you can isolate a certain area over another then go ahead...I never said not to hit them from different angles...you probably also think that you can isolate upper chest by doing inclines. You cant, working chest is working chest regardless of the lift.

MVP
06-16-09, 2:39 pm
This is exactly what I was trying to say...you cannot isolate a certain head of the triceps...working the tris is working the tris. MVP if you want to continue to think that you can isolate a certain area over another then go ahead...I never said not to hit them from different angles...you probably also think that you can isolate upper chest by doing inclines. You cant, working chest is working chest regardless of the lift.

Huh?

Yes, it's been scientifically proven that triceps extensions hit the long head of the triceps more than any other movement... while the medial and short head will get worked too, more emphasis is placed on the long head.

As far as benches go, yes you can target the upper portion of your chest. I know this for one because when doing inclines I feel a completely different contraction, if you do not you need to experiment with form.

Chest is a huge muscle group, you should hit it at alternating angles once you get a good base going. There is also more than one chest fiber, so if you don't think you can target different fibers you're out of your mind.

MonsterGenes
06-16-09, 2:40 pm
Huh?

Yes, it's been scientifically proven that triceps extensions hit the long head of the triceps more than any other movement... while the medial and short head will get worked too, more emphasis is placed on the long head.

As far as benches go, yes you can target the upper portion of your chest. I know this for one because when doing inclines I feel a completely different contraction, if you do not you need to experiment with form.

Chest is a huge muscle group, you should hit it at alternating angles once you get a good base going. There is also more than one chest fiber, so if you don't think you can target different fibers you're out of your mind.

CORRECT!

wedge
06-16-09, 2:55 pm
Never work a muscle group two days in a row. Get it done right the first time and use this as a lesson to never let this happen again. Treat each workout as if it were your last regardless of circumstance.

Getting back to the original post. Follow this advice.

live2lift
06-16-09, 4:22 pm
Huh?

MVP you are missing my point. I agree with you in saying that you should work muscles from different angles to get a complete workout and to target different muscle fibers. What I am simply trying to say is that you cannot completely isolate one part of a muscle over another...when you do inclines you are still hitting the mid and lower chest, or in the case of this post...when you work triceps you are working triceps regardless of the head of the muscle that is being stressed the most. The original post was implying that if he worked different heads of the tricep could he do tris two days in a row with which I responded that he shouldn't. Nobody here is trying to argue with you bro...just trying to make the original poster see that he should let his tris recover and hit em harder the following workout.

Peace

MVP
06-16-09, 4:40 pm
MVP you are missing my point. I agree with you in saying that you should work muscles from different angles to get a complete workout and to target different muscle fibers. What I am simply trying to say is that you cannot completely isolate one part of a muscle over another...when you do inclines you are still hitting the mid and lower chest, or in the case of this post...when you work triceps you are working triceps regardless of the head of the muscle that is being stressed the most. The original post was implying that if he worked different heads of the tricep could he do tris two days in a row with which I responded that he shouldn't. Nobody here is trying to argue with you bro...just trying to make the original poster see that he should let his tris recover and hit em harder the following workout.

Peace

You're right... you cannot completely isolate it, but when you do the incline press you'll put more focus on the upper fibers than you should during a decline or flat bench press.

To the OP - no, don't hit your triceps one day after another, hit them all in the same workout or you could hit them 3-4 days later depended upon preference.

But working with a close grip bench, dips and triceps extensions... you'd really witness growth.

Focus on developing your compounds at the moment though.

live2lift
06-16-09, 5:33 pm
You're right... you cannot completely isolate it, but when you do the incline press you'll put more focus on the upper fibers than you should during a decline or flat bench press.

To the OP - no, don't hit your triceps one day after another, hit them all in the same workout or you could hit them 3-4 days later depended upon preference.

But working with a close grip bench, dips and triceps extensions... you'd really witness growth.

Focus on developing your compounds at the moment though.

Agreed...those are all great mass builders.

Dedicated
06-16-09, 6:32 pm

Peace

Haha, +1. This is the point I was trying to convey.