PDA

View Full Version : The Bulking Checklist

LegendKillerJosh
06-17-09, 11:38 pm
The reason I'm posting this in the life section is because it contains thoughts on diet, training and supps.

Ever hit what people like to call a "plateau" and want to know how to get out? If you answer yes to all of these questions and are in a plateau then go see a doctor...

1. Does your training increase in intensity every time you lift? Not adding more sets or exercises, but getting out more reps with a specific weight or doing more weight than you ever have before.

2. Are you performing your reps correctly, recruiting maximum muscle fibers and not using momentum or improper form to complete reps, and lowering the weights under control?

3. Are you eating enough calories to get you up to the weight you want to be? A common mistake people make is calculating their protein and caloric needs for their current weight. If you want to be 10 pounds heavier, you have to eat like you are 10 pounds heavier.

4. Is your supp routine consistent. Are you getting enough protein, bcaa's, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals to keep your body anabolic, immune to sickness and functioning healthy?

5. Are you sleeping a solid 8-9 hours per night? Never understimate how important sleep is.

6. Are you resting long enough between workouts? Don't give your back or legs just enough rest for them to recuperate. Give them enough rest to recuperate AND grow beyond what they were before. Don't overtrain a specific muscle group or your central nervous system. Remember that training depletes more than just your muscles, but your testosterone levels and creatine stores as well.

7. Are you getting restful sleep, avoiding things like caffiene, alcohol or other stimulants or anything that disrupts sleep. Even if you can fall asleep after drinking a Coke, your sleep is not as recuperative as it should be.

I am not an IFBB pro or a professional powerlifter. I don't have a degree in exercise physiology or nutrition (yet). But sometimes I find myself hitting a "plateau" and when I take the time to analyze what I'm doing I can find the problem whether it be in my training, diet, supplements or otherwise. Just thought I would share this with all of my fellow ANIMALS.

On Letting Go
06-18-09, 7:27 am
Good post bro. Always good to be reminded of this type of info.

xMATT182x
06-18-09, 9:02 am
This is good info man, it does make you take a step back and realize how your training and eating. I immediately began running through everything and made some realizations. Good post bro.

rmeguy
06-18-09, 9:12 am
Damn good post brother. I had to look at it twice but i realized a few things i need to check on. Especially the caloric intake for wanting to be a cerain weight. I.E. i weigh 253 and i want to weigh around 263. Awesome stuff brother.

-Ben

padda
06-18-09, 9:15 am
thanx buddy ..waiting for more .............

LegendKillerJosh
06-18-09, 12:56 pm
thanx buddy ..waiting for more .............

Feel free EVERYBODY to post your own thoughts. I'm not expert by any means, these are just some common mistakes I and many others make at one point. Usually if you feel in a "funk" you can figure out your problem. I want others to give me their advice as well.

Muscleguy93
06-18-09, 1:01 pm
wow i am actually on a Platu...(this new bench routine is going pretty soild so far... soon it should break it). looks like i gotta get more sleep! great post, thanks.

willah
06-19-09, 12:15 am
I'm gonna copy this out somewhere visible to me everyday - good tips.

Beach91
06-23-09, 11:03 pm
Cool posts on the basics of bulking, i would suggest though stating that caloric increase should be done incrementally in stages above your maintenance amount, and that your weight should be monitored weekly, to see that it is increasing by a pound or two, any more than that and youve increased calories too quickly for your body and metabolism to react, causing greater fat storage, over increased muscle growth.

Just what Ive found out from personal experience, If u want to be ten pounds bigger, you do have to eat like it, but not all at once, work up to it smartly.

my 2 pennies

LegendKillerJosh
06-10-10, 5:30 pm
We often overcomplicate things and then wonder what is going wrong. If you are not seeing the results you want, it's time to go back to the drawing board and see what's going on. It becomes time to decide what changes you need to make to your routine or if you need to completely abandon that routine and go a different direction.

C.Coronato
06-11-10, 7:15 am
Basics brother. Thats all that its about.

Aggression
06-11-10, 8:48 am
Right on man. I like where your head is at. At a sticking point? Eat more, train harder, and get more rest. That's all it takes.