PDA

View Full Version : 5'9, 205 lbs., 12%BF

braves561
06-19-09, 2:48 am
I have been lifting for 3 years now. Those are my current stats. I am doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program right now from his book. I'm looking to get stronger and put on a little bit more mass. I've been having a little bit of trouble getting my back to get wider as well and I'm hoping a diet adjustment could help slap on the width.

Now, I want to stay pretty lean or get a little bit leaner while still putting on a good amount of mass.

What type of diet and macros would you guys recommend starting at? I've been trying to follow a lower carb type diet at 2200 cals a day (was cutting) but my intensity is going down because of the lack of calories.

Can anyone help? lol

MVP
06-19-09, 3:10 am
I have been lifting for 3 years now. Those are my current stats. I am doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program right now from his book. I'm looking to get stronger and put on a little bit more mass. I've been having a little bit of trouble getting my back to get wider as well and I'm hoping a diet adjustment could help slap on the width.

Now, I want to stay pretty lean or get a little bit leaner while still putting on a good amount of mass.

What type of diet and macros would you guys recommend starting at? I've been trying to follow a lower carb type diet at 2200 cals a day (was cutting) but my intensity is going down because of the lack of calories.

Can anyone help? lol

I'll help you out, but only because you're a Braves fan ;-).

50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat is how I do it. It's recommended to get in 2.7 carbs per lb of bodyweight and 1.5-1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight.

The three times when the body is in the most need of protein is

* Upon wakening
* Post-workout
* Before bed

The next think you'll need to know is how complex carbohydrate sources should fall into your diet... glycogen (chains of glucose) that comes primarily from carbohydrates and fatty acids are responsible for the production of ATP in the mitochondria. ATP is the body's primary source of energy for exercising muscles.. so without it you're pretty screwed and not going to get anywhere near an optimal workout. Which is why both carbs and fats are needed to gain muscle.

Secondly, protein repairs muscle tissue. Muscle tissue is damaged when you workout, when it repairs to the extent of being trained again (I say this because in order for it to fully repair it takes a few weeks).. it is stronger and usually bigger. Capable of moving more weight and with a smaller increase in size which is called hypertrophy. If you fail to give your body enough protein, it steals it from your muscles resulting in catabolism (muscle breakdown)... the average athletic weightlifter needs about 1.5-1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight (kilograms= lbs / 2.2).. as mentioned earlier.

Protein --- chicken, fish, beef, steak, shrimp, eggs, whey protein powder
Complex carbohydrates --- brown rice, pasta, veggies, corn
Fats --- fish oils, almond butter, peanut butter, almonds, peanuts

Next, I've discussed why fats are appropriate for gains, they are (with glycogen) responsible for the production of ATP. Fatty acids needs to be consumed, because it is something the body cannot make on it's own from other nutrients. If you get in too much protein, it's used for energy or deposited in the form of fat... most likely fat, because protein is not a primary source of energy....and the body usually gets enough energy from carbohydrates and/or fats..

Your muscles are 70% water, so that is vital. The average adult should consume around 2 quarts of water per day, I recommend close to a gallon personally. Now invest in a multi-vitamin and get to training.

Your compounds, should be compound, which require multiple joints to preform.

More questions, just ask.

T o m m Y
06-19-09, 8:50 am
Dude your not gonna put on any mass eating 2200 cals a day....

BryanSmash!
06-19-09, 9:21 am
(Calories Injested>Calories Expended)+Hard Work= Putting on mass.
Just my simplified application to your question.
Also follow the info from MVP.

braves561
06-20-09, 1:47 am

50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat is how I do it. It's recommended to get in 2.7 carbs per lb of bodyweight and 1.5-1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight.

* Upon wakening
* Post-workout
* Before bed

The next think you'll need to know is how complex carbohydrate sources should fall into your diet... glycogen (chains of glucose) that comes primarily from carbohydrates and fatty acids are responsible for the production of ATP in the mitochondria. ATP is the body's primary source of energy for exercising muscles.. so without it you're pretty screwed and not going to get anywhere near an optimal workout. Which is why both carbs and fats are needed to gain muscle.

Secondly, protein repairs muscle tissue. Muscle tissue is damaged when you workout, when it repairs to the extent of being trained again (I say this because in order for it to fully repair it takes a few weeks).. it is stronger and usually bigger. Capable of moving more weight and with a smaller increase in size which is called hypertrophy. If you fail to give your body enough protein, it steals it from your muscles resulting in catabolism (muscle breakdown)... the average athletic weightlifter needs about 1.5-1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight (kilograms= lbs / 2.2).. as mentioned earlier.

Next, I've discussed why fats are appropriate for gains, they are (with glycogen) responsible for the production of ATP. Fatty acids needs to be consumed, because it is something the body cannot make on it's own from other nutrients. If you get in too much protein, it's used for energy or deposited in the form of fat... most likely fat, because protein is not a primary source of energy....and the body usually gets enough energy from carbohydrates and/or fats..

Your muscles are 70% water, so that is vital. The average adult should consume around 2 quarts of water per day, I recommend close to a gallon personally. Now invest in a multi-vitamin and get to training.

Holy crap....amazing post! Thanks a lot man! Go Braves!

Dude your not gonna put on any mass eating 2200 cals a day....

I was cutting. . . I state that in the first post.

(Calories Injested>Calories Expended)+Hard Work= Putting on mass.
Just my simplified application to your question.
Also follow the info from MVP.

LOL true. Thanks

MojoMike36
06-20-09, 1:53 am
He's 21. Give the guy 2700 atleast with no cardio. That'd be leaner growth.
I doubt back width will be solved with a diet bro.

Whats your typical back workout look like? Any exercises you know that you are avoiding?

LegendKillerJosh
06-20-09, 1:58 am

* Upon wakening
* Post-workout
* Before bed

1.5g of protein per kg of weight? Most people go 1.5g per POUND of bodyweight. 1 pound = 2.2 kilograms. Also, 1 more important thing missing here -

You have to do your calculation according to TARGET bodyweight, not current bodyweight or you will stay your current bodyweight.

MVP
06-20-09, 5:20 am
1.5g of protein per kg of weight? Most people go 1.5g per POUND of bodyweight. 1 pound = 2.2 kilograms. Also, 1 more important thing missing here -

You have to do your calculation according to TARGET bodyweight, not current bodyweight or you will stay your current bodyweight.

None of which has ever been proven, my personal training manual recommends 1.2-1.8g per kg of bodyweight. Most people (bodybuilders included) tend to say 1g per lb is not enough for a mouse to survive on, but in general, anything that isn't used to repair muscle tissue, hair growth, nail growth, etc. is stored as fat. It's like filling up a car, one person puts 20 gallons of gas in it, the other 10 gallons of gas, both will make it there just one saved time and money. I guess just get in however much works for you though, if you can get in 1.5 per lb of bodyweight and your bodyfat doesn't increase good. I personally don't consume but about 120-130g per day, I know that's low but I'm still slowly making gains.

theharjmann
06-20-09, 5:36 am

Can anyone help? lol

from your stats....5ft 9, 210lbs 12%bf you seem to have got pretty far as it is.

use your experience and formulate your own diet plan i say.....you seem to know enough

then maybe post here to tweak it

peace

LegendKillerJosh
06-22-09, 11:32 pm
None of which has ever been proven, my personal training manual recommends 1.2-1.8g per kg of bodyweight. Most people (bodybuilders included) tend to say 1g per lb is not enough for a mouse to survive on, but in general, anything that isn't used to repair muscle tissue, hair growth, nail growth, etc. is stored as fat. It's like filling up a car, one person puts 20 gallons of gas in it, the other 10 gallons of gas, both will make it there just one saved time and money. I guess just get in however much works for you though, if you can get in 1.5 per lb of bodyweight and your bodyfat doesn't increase good. I personally don't consume but about 120-130g per day, I know that's low but I'm still slowly making gains.

I didn't say shit about being proven. I said most people consume that much. If you think it's too much than don't eat it. If you are not growing like you want to than increase it. Not every theory out there whether it is proven or not works for everyone. The answer is totally obvious - go with trial and error.

MVP
06-23-09, 1:48 am
I didn't say shit about being proven. I said most people consume that much. If you think it's too much than don't eat it. If you are not growing like you want to than increase it. Not every theory out there whether it is proven or not works for everyone. The answer is totally obvious - go with trial and error.

What on earth are you so damn angry about? Chill..

Who said I ate that much? Who said I said no one ate that much? I said it's recommended that, most bodybuilders I know only consume half their bodyweight of protein during a bulk, people over-exaggerate protein intake too much, of course 300g of protein will work for someone 150lbs, but so will someone 125 lbs, on the contrary it's more in the portion of the meals, do you think consuming 300g of protein in one meal is the same as throughout six meals? Your body can only process about 40-50g per meal at the most, so if 300g of protein for someone 150lbs was the goal he'd have to eat 50g of protein which is 200 calories just in protein (50% carbohydrates and 20% fats afterwards) leading to close to 1,000 calories per meal in six meals ultimately adding up to about 6,000 calories per day eventually leading to obesity. Which is exactly what I said. Don't put words in my mouth.

Shamus11B
06-23-09, 2:51 am
12) Debating vs. Arguing
As many of you know from your time here, the Forvm is unlike any other. It's a supportive community of like-minded lifters who are serious about achieving their goals. But a community is not strong when dissenting opinions are stifled. We are individuals and we all bring a unique perspective to the table. We all want lively discussions as well as a passionate exchange of ideas. That said, we believe there's a right way and a wrong way to express opinions. You can present your ideas in a forceful, well-thought, and persuasive way, and back them up without insulting others. When done respectfully and rationally--like adults--it's "debating". This is what we encourage and like to see here. Arguing is when you start slinging insults and resort to name calling. When discussion devolves into schoolyard bickering. This is something that's best left for children. This is the F O R V M, not the playground. We want intelligent, rational debates. We don't want petty arguments or posts where members are in it just for the sake of winning. It ain't a pissing contest. Win, lose, who the fuck cares? It's all about furthering our knowledge and understanding, and not about ego. Realizing the difference between "debating" and "arguing" is what will set us apart from the rest and make the Forvm stronger. See also Rules #2 and #4.

Lets keep the tone civil guys, everyones here to learn and share their personal knowledge. Everyone doesnt respond the same way to food intake. Take everything at face value.

MVP
06-23-09, 3:25 am
12) Debating vs. Arguing
As many of you know from your time here, the Forvm is unlike any other. It's a supportive community of like-minded lifters who are serious about achieving their goals. But a community is not strong when dissenting opinions are stifled. We are individuals and we all bring a unique perspective to the table. We all want lively discussions as well as a passionate exchange of ideas. That said, we believe there's a right way and a wrong way to express opinions. You can present your ideas in a forceful, well-thought, and persuasive way, and back them up without insulting others. When done respectfully and rationally--like adults--it's "debating". This is what we encourage and like to see here. Arguing is when you start slinging insults and resort to name calling. When discussion devolves into schoolyard bickering. This is something that's best left for children. This is the F O R V M, not the playground. We want intelligent, rational debates. We don't want petty arguments or posts where members are in it just for the sake of winning. It ain't a pissing contest. Win, lose, who the fuck cares? It's all about furthering our knowledge and understanding, and not about ego. Realizing the difference between "debating" and "arguing" is what will set us apart from the rest and make the Forvm stronger. See also Rules #2 and #4.

Lets keep the tone civil guys, everyones here to learn and share their personal knowledge. Everyone doesnt respond the same way to food intake. Take everything at face value.

If I come off as breaking any rules in my post, I apologize- I just never said people don't consume that much, I just said according to studies, that's all that is needed, more protein is fine, but it would lead to obesity for a 150lb person consuming 6,000 calories per day, it'd be expensive too.

Shamus11B
06-23-09, 3:31 am
Wasn't directed at anyone inparticular.

weedlewott
06-23-09, 3:40 am
It's not that you guys were arguing. Nobody was really breaking any rules. Shamus was heading it off though. People are gonna disagree. that's a hard fact of life. big thing is how you control yourselves when you disagree. you might disagree, but cussing one another takes it to a new level. Petty bickering. Dissenting posts and profane remarks towards one another isn't the way to go. This is for everyone.

McFly
06-23-09, 7:51 am
back on topic and to keep it simple. if you are happy with how lean you are right now, just bump up your calories 500 or so and see what that does for you over a few weeks. Just eat your clean bodybuidling type food, you should stay fairly lean if you eat that way and if you're not growing eat more of those clean bb type foods.

if you wanted to GROW, please visit the Philly ABC thread and see how we ate after the ABC that is how you put on good off season MASS!!!!

weedlewott
06-23-09, 7:53 am
back on topic and to keep it simple. if you are happy with how lean you are right now, just bump up your calories 500 or so and see what that does for you over a few weeks. Just eat your clean bodybuidling type food, you should stay fairly lean if you eat that way and if you're not growing eat more of those clean bb type foods.

if you wanted to GROW, please visit the Philly ABC thread and see how we ate after the ABC that is how you put on good off season MASS!!!!

If you listen to anyone here, listen to this guy. He's a friggin beast and he's strong as hell.

LegendKillerJosh
06-23-09, 11:47 am

Thats what I was saying. Asking people online for diet advice is no good. You have to go with trial and error increasing/decreasing calories til you look like you want to. We don't know this kid who created the thread, so it's impossible to tell him exactly how much to eat.

TheDarkHalf
06-23-09, 12:44 pm

I agree. I also think that determining your current BMR would be beneficial as well as your current cal intake. This will show you if you are eating at maintenance, above maintenance, or under maintenace cals. I wouldn't move your cals more than 250-500 for a few weeks.

You can also try doing a 40/20/40 since you like a lower carb approach. Would allow you to still get in plenty of cals while eating healty amounts of lean proteins, low GI carbs, and healthy fats. You might also want to try limiting your carb intake to the first meal of the day and to the first and/or second meal following your workout.

It's all about making small adjustments and seeing how your body reacts.