PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Release knee surgery

ionacht
06-19-09, 1:57 pm
I'm curious how many people here have had Lateral Release surgery to correct patella tracking issues and what your results were. I'm not asking for any kind of medical advice, just personal experience and how your lifting was/wasn't affected post-op.

Backstory:
I blew my knee out training for my first PL comp about a year ago. (Oddly enough it was moving my crap to a new house and not in the gym at all.) MRI showed partial tears in the MCL, ACL, tendon, basicly everything was hit as my patella dislocated lateraly. No surgery, did "traditional" rehab under supervision of my doc, and by March of this year felt that eveything had tightend up enough to start planning my return to heavy PL training.

Jump to present time: I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago playing ball with my boy. MRI showed no tearing this time (guess everything was still pretty loose) but my doc wants to do Lateral Release surgrey to correct my apparently lateraly tracking patella.

So anyone had this kind of procedure? Did you notice it help/hinder your lifting post-op? Did you find that certain excercises worked better for re-hab?

GJN5002
06-19-09, 3:45 pm
I'd like to know too. Doc said if my knees keep bothering me it will be my only option. My knee dislocated about a year ago doing leg ext. I tore up my MCL and broke a piece of something loose that calcified and started cutting the inside of my knee up.

GJN5002
07-01-09, 1:18 pm
I talked to a guy I box with yesterday. He has similar knee problems and the doctor recommended the lat release surgery. He knows the trainer for the pittbsurgh pirates and he told him not to do it if you are atheltic. It doesnt work 3/4 of the time according to him. Another guy had it done 6 months ago and his knee still looks like a cantoloupe. hope this helps, i know it scared me away from it.