PDA

View Full Version : Low Weight vs. High Reps

Austin4205
06-20-09, 1:18 am
ok so is this or would this even work better, with my meal plan set and what not if i do like an hour of cardio in the morning, then come back at night to do weights and use the whole low weight high reps will it prove effective to lose weight, if so how do you tell if you are doing enough reps to be "High reps" thanks guys

Merat
06-20-09, 1:25 am
well high reps for me anyway constitutes from 15-12 reps, try medium weight as it will be better for results, and super set/drop set exercises to increase metabolic output for fat loss

-Merat

LegendKillerJosh
06-20-09, 1:54 am
For fat loss I would guess it doesn't matter whether you train high or low reps. It's about cardio and diet.

dominatetheiron
06-20-09, 5:23 am
For fat loss I would guess it doesn't matter whether you train high or low reps. It's about cardio and diet.

I agree with this fat loss really is about calories and cardio. Up your cardio, get your calories in line and eat as clean as possible and you will see fat loss.

MVP
06-20-09, 5:26 am
ok so is this or would this even work better, with my meal plan set and what not if i do like an hour of cardio in the morning, then come back at night to do weights and use the whole low weight high reps will it prove effective to lose weight, if so how do you tell if you are doing enough reps to be "High reps" thanks guys

Weight loss = calorie deficit + cardio, as mentioned by another member.

theharjmann
06-20-09, 5:33 am
when you are on a lower calorie diet, you will not be able to lift the kinda heavy weight you can when you are all carbed up to the max.

therefore change up your training to suit your needs.....and if that means high reps, low weight then do it.

good luck

Oceanic6
09-18-09, 10:06 am
Hey guys,

Not sure if this was asked before or not. I tried searching, but I guess it is to broad a term to get something specific.

Anyway, here is my question.

I have been training with MAX-OT for years and have gotten great results. It is the only program that I have ever tried that gets me consistent results. For those of you who haven't heard of this, one of the basic principles is to train in the 4-6 rep range (cant get 4 its too heavy, get more then 6 it is to light) and to not train over an hour a day because natural bodybuilders will easily over train if in the gym longer then this.

Now finally for my question. I wanted to get your opinions on this. I know most of my gym are on drugs, but I am not. I see them doing crazy reps and being there for hours. Is there any place for this in a natural bodybuilders program? Can doing 15-20 reps of light weight really build muscle? I know it will shuttle blood into the muscle, but will it make it grow? For example, right now I can curl 65 pound dumbbells with good form for 3 sets of 5-6... if I dropped to 40 I could probably do 3 sets of 15...but I can not see any benefit to that. Or am I wrong, I see so many guys doing this and they all have different opinions on what works and what doesn't. I myself love to push myself with heavier weight in the 4-6 rep range, but if adding some rep exercises has any benefits I would add them as well.

Also, has anyone ever heard of flushing the muscle? If so what does that mean? A few guys told me repping out flushes the muscle, but what benefit does that have and what does it mean?

As of now im sticking to my tried and true routine. But if anyone has better insight on this i would love to hear about it and make a change or add if necessary.

thanks a lot guys

theharjmann
09-18-09, 10:50 am
you kind of answered your own question there.

you dont want to overtrain. im natual and, personally, i like to do a mix. heavy ass weight to destroy fibres and some lighter stuff to flush nutrients into the cells and to finish it off.

i never need to do more than 3 exercises though. any more and i cant physically handle it and end up overtraining.

some overtraining is good though. training is all about pushing your body to limits. i overtrain. maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks. my body needs a shock. but too much overtraining and i dont grow.

so play around with reps man. ive got a friend who is natural, but from training 3 days a week with no less than 15 reps puts on a huge amount of muscle...and the bastard manages to keep a 6 pak.

it depends from person to person. find what works 4 u.

J A Y
09-18-09, 10:59 am
it depends from person to person. find what works 4 u.

very simply put.. i would say this... if you are getting consistent gains from your current programme then why stop?

if you are interested in trying to add some more higer rep sets play around with it for a few weeks and see if they work.. if so keep them.. if not.. back to the tried and tested routine for consistent gains..

and as for flushing the muscle all i can really think of is what you have explained.... in performing high rep sets, which forces lots of blood and fresh nutrients into the muscle to encourage growth

but as already said find what works best for YOU..

Oceanic6
09-18-09, 1:04 pm
thanks for your input guys. Maybe when im finished my workout i will do one more set of light weight with high reps, then take my nitro packet. See how that feels for a while.

thanks for everything

PORTERHOUSE
09-18-09, 4:05 pm
thanks for your input guys. Maybe when im finished my workout i will do one more set of light weight with high reps, then take my nitro packet. See how that feels for a while.

thanks for everything

Thats exactly what I do, I love the feeling of completely burning out with one set of low weight/high rep after lifting heavy.

Legacy
09-18-09, 7:31 pm
Hey guys,

Not sure if this was asked before or not. I tried searching, but I guess it is to broad a term to get something specific.

Anyway, here is my question.

I have been training with MAX-OT for years and have gotten great results. It is the only program that I have ever tried that gets me consistent results. For those of you who haven't heard of this, one of the basic principles is to train in the 4-6 rep range (cant get 4 its too heavy, get more then 6 it is to light) and to not train over an hour a day because natural bodybuilders will easily over train if in the gym longer then this.

Now finally for my question. I wanted to get your opinions on this. I know most of my gym are on drugs, but I am not. I see them doing crazy reps and being there for hours. Is there any place for this in a natural bodybuilders program? Can doing 15-20 reps of light weight really build muscle? I know it will shuttle blood into the muscle, but will it make it grow? For example, right now I can curl 65 pound dumbbells with good form for 3 sets of 5-6... if I dropped to 40 I could probably do 3 sets of 15...but I can not see any benefit to that. Or am I wrong, I see so many guys doing this and they all have different opinions on what works and what doesn't. I myself love to push myself with heavier weight in the 4-6 rep range, but if adding some rep exercises has any benefits I would add them as well.

Also, has anyone ever heard of flushing the muscle? If so what does that mean? A few guys told me repping out flushes the muscle, but what benefit does that have and what does it mean?

As of now im sticking to my tried and true routine. But if anyone has better insight on this i would love to hear about it and make a change or add if necessary.

thanks a lot guys

Hey man you said you were doing the MAX-0T training. I was looking into that and was wondering what gains you got from it? Was it mostly strength or mass gains? I wanna get your view on the training principle. I saw it on Skip LaCours website. Please let me know how you liked it or disliked it.

shizz702
09-18-09, 7:43 pm
I a big fan of training for strength with lower reps, but also like to hit back off sets with higher reps.

So to get the best of both worlds I like to ramp up to a top heavy set, and strip off 50 lbs or so and rep it out.

Oceanic6
09-19-09, 6:47 pm
Hey man you said you were doing the MAX-0T training. I was looking into that and was wondering what gains you got from it? Was it mostly strength or mass gains? I wanna get your view on the training principle. I saw it on Skip LaCours website. Please let me know how you liked it or disliked it.

You can go on the Ast website and download the workout for free. It's a bit of a read but well worth it.

I have gained mass and strength from it. I have been using MAX-OT principles for about 8 years now, so you can see how much I like it. Being Drug Free I also look at Skip and Jeff Willet as being in incredible shape for never using drugs and they both swear by MAX-OT as well.

Also there is MAX-OT cardio that kicks your ass. Just thinking about that gets me nauseous..lol.. but can't argue with the results.

The Basic Principles of MAX-OT are staying in the 4-6 rep range as I said before. Doing all compound movements, no machines or concentration exercises (but they do list some that do work and should be done; cable pull downs, press downs, rows, etc). Only train for no longer then an hour. Get in, hit it hard and leave. Leaving the growing to eating and resting.

The warming up I learned from it made my lifts go up right away. I'm sure its nothing new, but when I first read MAX-OT i didnt really warm up correctly.

It says to do a weight you can perform 12 reps with.. nothing to crazy just get the blood flowing.

then do 6 reps a little heavier, then 3 heavier, and then the last one needs to be close to your starting weight... which would be for 1 rep. Then you are ready to start your working sets.

you do this to get your body ready for the heavy weight. you only have to do it for the first exercise of that body part.

hope that helps. I am half asleep right now, so I hope I made sense..

dyskee
09-21-09, 5:49 am
to grow muscle u need to get stronger i guess we all agree on that. The thing most people don't realize that is that getting stronger in the 4-6 rep range will get u big so will getting STRONGER in the 10-15 rep range get you.