PDA

View Full Version : Triceps kickbacks

sideburnz
06-22-09, 8:36 pm
Jus a ques abt triceps kickbacks..usually i carry a medium weight n do it with proper form but i dun tink its heavy enuff... if i go ani heavier, i would hav 2 really jerk n kickback... do u tink that wld cause betta gains??

MVP
06-22-09, 9:41 pm
Jus a ques abt triceps kickbacks..usually i carry a medium weight n do it with proper form but i dun tink its heavy enuff... if i go ani heavier, i would hav 2 really jerk n kickback... do u tink that wld cause betta gains??

Arms- Generally speaking, don't require you to go totally heavy. When I do arms, I do a minimum of 10 reps, they're worked in pretty much every compound movement, so there's no need to really go heavy with them- Just try to increase weight as much as possible and the goal is to isolate them so I would recommend just doing 3 X 10, gaining weight and adding weight as often as you can.

LegendKillerJosh
06-23-09, 1:05 am
Stick with good form. At the top of the rep (when your arm is fully extended) flex your tricep hard and lower the weight slowly and under control continuing to flex your tricep the whole time.

whosnexttt
06-23-09, 4:08 am

if your trying to get your triceps bigger i wouldnt even worry about kickbacks, shoot i wouldnt even do em at all, stick to lying and seated skullcrushers, close grip presses, dips

MightyMouse666
06-23-09, 7:18 am
if your trying to get your triceps bigger i wouldnt even worry about kickbacks, shoot i wouldnt even do em at all, stick to lying and seated skullcrushers, close grip presses, dips

My thoughts exactly.

sideburnz
06-23-09, 8:34 am
yes..i know what you guys mean by not even doing them.. but i have always done the dips & the skullcrushers.. so just needed a change that's all.. Does this mean triceps kickbacks doesn't even work?

LegendKillerJosh
06-23-09, 11:44 am
yes..i know what you guys mean by not even doing them.. but i have always done the dips & the skullcrushers.. so just needed a change that's all.. Does this mean triceps kickbacks doesn't even work?

They might work, but you will have to use pretty light dumbells to use good form, and they won't pack on size like compound moves like dips or close grip bench.

sideburnz
06-23-09, 12:15 pm
So are u trying to say that triceps kickbacks are more for a shaping workout rather than size workout?

npeezy
06-23-09, 12:17 pm
sideburnz - yes. the kickback is def not a size movement...is an isolation/shaping movement for sure..stick with close grip bench, skulls, dips and heavy cable pushdowns for mass.

a better movement is a hammer grip rope pushdown....same rom but different angle w/ constant tension..

ghost
06-23-09, 12:18 pm
want big triceps.... dips, skulls, cgbp, db kickbacks. whoever says that these dont do the trick isnt doing them correctly.

MVP
06-23-09, 7:38 pm
So are u trying to say that triceps kickbacks are more for a shaping workout rather than size workout?

I personally don't like them- As your wrist position changes so does the head of the triceps that you stimulate. Kickbacks and triceps extensions would work the long head, triceps extensions work the long head of the triceps more than any other compound or isolation movement, that is a proven fact. Which is why I recommend them quite often. Skull crushers, benches and dips will hit the medial and short head pretty good.

whosnexttt
06-23-09, 7:47 pm

close grip bench, dips, skullcrushers work, kickbacks do not work, I mean feel free to use it as your last exercise for triceps but there really is no point to do em

sideburnz
06-23-09, 8:20 pm
That is v.depressing to hear.. i really thought kickbacks were a great excercise for definition. Anyway anyone ever tried pullover presses? I saw it done in a video by Rich Gaspari. Its like a combo of an barbell tricep extension and a close grip bench press. It gives a good stretch on e Tris. Check out this Rich Gaspari Arms video, forward till the biceps are done. http://gasparinutrition.chapmanmediagroup.com/off-season/arms.html

shizz702
06-23-09, 8:34 pm

x2

MVP
06-23-09, 8:57 pm
That is v.depressing to hear.. i really thought kickbacks were a great excercise for definition. Anyway anyone ever tried pullover presses? I saw it done in a video by Rich Gaspari. Its like a combo of an barbell tricep extension and a close grip bench press. It gives a good stretch on e Tris. Check out this Rich Gaspari Arms video, forward till the biceps are done. http://gasparinutrition.chapmanmediagroup.com/off-season/arms.html

Just stick with your benches, dips, skull crushers and triceps extensions and you'll be fine.

shizz702
06-23-09, 9:04 pm

Logic tells me your triceps are going to get bigger pressing, dipping, and skull crushing big weights than they would dong kickbacks with a little dumbbell.

Stick the basic mass builders and worry about the details later.

Pizzalamp
06-23-09, 9:15 pm
i love doing kickbacks w/ dumbells-ive seen good results from em

ive got big arms and they seem to be helping

MVP
06-23-09, 9:28 pm
Logic tells me your triceps are going to get bigger pressing, dipping, and skull crushing big weights than they would dong kickbacks with a little dumbbell.

Stick the basic mass builders and worry about the details later.

Yeah- Kickbacks I hate. I don't see how anyone can benefit from them since there is so little weight involves. If the long head of the triceps is the goal, overhead extensions is much much better.

whosnexttt
06-23-09, 9:49 pm

a great exercise for definition? you get the muscle big and then you "cut" and youl see detail, lol a detail exercise? I wish there were these actually "detail exercises" I would do em for sure :)

MVP
06-23-09, 10:26 pm
a great exercise for definition? you get the muscle big and then you "cut" and youl see detail, lol a detail exercise? I wish there were these actually "detail exercises" I would do em for sure :)

Yep. Definition = low bodyfat, no exercise does that.

sideburnz
06-24-09, 12:26 am
Aite people.. thanks for the advices.. just wanna know, has anyone seen the pullover press vid? If you did, do let me know what you think of it. Thanks.