PDA

View Full Version : Uneven chest

umop 3pisdn
06-22-09, 11:12 pm
I am right handed, but whenever I do chest I can always feel a lot more pump in my left pec, especially towards the inner and upper part of it. I'm confident on my form because I put a lot of time into getting it right and symmetrical.

I can even feel the difference the next day regarding soreness (don't know if this is relevant or not) and you can definitely tell my left pec is a lot more developed then my right. I have tried everything I can think of.. I've made sure I was on an even surface, I always do my warm up set slower so I can make sure I feel the same strain on both sides, my range of motion is the exact same for each side when doing an exercise, I always make sure I squeeze both pecs when doing an exercise as well. I also change between DB and BBs.

I'm thinking maybe my left chest is genetically inferior to my right because I just don't feel the same pump through my right pec like I do my left.. and it definitely shows. The same thing goes for my right bicep compared to my left, although in this case my right bicep is bigger but I put this down to having a section of my left bicep removed when I was younger.

So does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? If so, what did you change in your workouts to even your pecs out?

whosnexttt
06-23-09, 12:23 am
I am right handed, but whenever I do chest I can always feel a lot more pump in my left pec, especially towards the inner and upper part of it. I'm confident on my form because I put a lot of time into getting it right and symmetrical.

I can even feel the difference the next day regarding soreness (don't know if this is relevant or not) and you can definitely tell my left pec is a lot more developed then my right. I have tried everything I can think of.. I've made sure I was on an even surface, I always do my warm up set slower so I can make sure I feel the same strain on both sides, my range of motion is the exact same for each side when doing an exercise, I always make sure I squeeze both pecs when doing an exercise as well. I also change between DB and BBs.

I'm thinking maybe my left chest is genetically inferior to my right because I just don't feel the same pump through my right pec like I do my left.. and it definitely shows. The same thing goes for my right bicep compared to my left, although in this case my right bicep is bigger but I put this down to having a section of my left bicep removed when I was younger.

So does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? If so, what did you change in your workouts to even your pecs out?

well that usually is the outcome when training with bad form, but as you said you train with good form, but maybe when you first started benching you were using horrible form and that could of caused your problem

but to fix the issue, best advice I can say is do dumbbell bench pressing and focus when your exploding up with the movement

bulldog76
06-23-09, 12:28 am
hey bro !! you aint the only one .. I am dealing with the same prb, being an right handed my left bicep, pec and lats are more defined and bulked then right. talked with ppl and what I hear is " right sided is used for all normal work, while left is only used for strength so it gonna take more beating and get a better pump " or " a diff of 10% is normal " or " keep on hitting weights and u get the symmetric down the line " or " do couple of reps extra on the lagging side " .. this has left me in pretty confused state myself .. dunno what exactly needs to be done to get he symmetric out ..

bro's of forum any pointers would be deeply appreciated

Thanks much !

animal_train_01
12-11-09, 1:34 am
I have the same problem with the chest. I am right handed and the left side of my pecs are much more developed than the right (especially the inside of the pec). This has been going on for a while but i'm not worrying about it too much at the moment, just focusing on putting on size and not so much perfect symmetry. I've been told to do dumbell presses up both sides and i have been pressingfor a month or so now. I 100% agree whosnexttt, this could have arisen from heavy/bad bench pressing because when i work chest, (BP especially) i notice that my right side is significantly weaker. Any help would be great brothers; is there a simply solution to this problem such as 'one handed cable crossovers' to work the inside of the chest?

BryanSmash!
12-11-09, 3:24 am

hey bro !! you aint the only one .. I am dealing with the same prb, being an right handed my left bicep, pec and lats are more defined and bulked then right. talked with ppl and what I hear is " right sided is used for all normal work, while left is only used for strength so it gonna take more beating and get a better pump " or " a diff of 10% is normal " or " keep on hitting weights and u get the symmetric down the line " or " do couple of reps extra on the lagging side " .. this has left me in pretty confused state myself .. dunno what exactly needs to be done to get he symmetric out ..

bro's of forum any pointers would be deeply appreciated

Thanks much !

I have the same problem with the chest. I am right handed and the left side of my pecs are much more developed than the right (especially the inside of the pec). This has been going on for a while but i'm not worrying about it too much at the moment, just focusing on putting on size and not so much perfect symmetry. I've been told to do dumbell presses up both sides and i have been pressingfor a month or so now. I 100% agree whosnexttt, this could have arisen from heavy/bad bench pressing because when i work chest, (BP especially) i notice that my right side is significantly weaker. Any help would be great brothers; is there a simply solution to this problem such as 'one handed cable crossovers' to work the inside of the chest?
Initiating a better mind muscle connection with DBs should solve your problem.

well that usually is the outcome when training with bad form, but as you said you train with good form, but maybe when you first started benching you were using horrible form and that could of caused your problem

^x2 Have an experienced lifter observe your form and give you an unbiased opinion, then you will know for sure if your current form is correct.

Razor
12-11-09, 10:29 am
2 things. Start using more dumbells when possible and concentrate on isolating them as a whole or individually if doing more individual lifts. i used to have this problem with my shoulders so been down that road.

ironshaolin
12-11-09, 11:34 am
Cut out ALL barbell work for your chest AND shoulders. Anything where your chest might be activated, use dumbells or cables. I might suggest incorporating some Uni-lateral chest training as well, doing one arm dumbell bench presses and one arm standing cable presses, always starting the set with the weak side first.

WilsDaddy
12-11-09, 11:56 am
Try using some 60's or 70's something light and do some one arm DB press's for a little pre-pump, then i'd agree with the guy above, hit some cables, holds resistance on the pec itself through the whole motion.

Muscleguy93
12-11-09, 4:35 pm
Dumbell flys... Incline and flat. Squeeze at the top and strech at the bottom. Also try and get a good mind to muscle connection(people dont realize, but it is the key to growth)

willah
12-11-09, 11:43 pm
I was dealing with this issue as little as 6 months ago - big lack of symmetry in my chest.

I started doing lots of incline work; some workouts I wouldn't do anything flat. DB Flye's and DB presses are also going to do the trick.

Things are a lot more symmetrical these days, and my chest is larger overall.

Usually for chest I will select 4 exercises to hit, typically 2 will be inclined.

Sample:
Incline BB Press
Incline DB Press
Flat DB Flye
Pec Deck