PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about doing a 20 rep squat program

OverDose
06-23-09, 9:43 am
I've done 20 rep sets of squats before, so i know how brutal it is and what to expect...but i'm thinking about the routine where you do it 3 times a week with pullovers right after and 5 or 6 other basic exercises after as well....i'm currently on a 5 day split and i've been reading alot of good things about routines like this so i'm thinking about giving this a try, has anyone tried it and how have your results been with it? Thanks in advance. Overdose

Ir0nClad
06-23-09, 1:54 pm
I would recommend drinking about a gallon of milk a day to get the most out of the program, causing you to gain about 10 -15lbs in those six weeks. Also doing the program 3 times a week of six weeks at first is alot harder than 2x week for 8 weeks, so make sure that your body is ready to that workload.

J A Y
06-23-09, 2:19 pm
I've done 20 rep sets of squats before, so i know how brutal it is and what to expect...but i'm thinking about the routine where you do it 3 times a week with pullovers right after and 5 or 6 other basic exercises after as well....i'm currently on a 5 day split and i've been reading alot of good things about routines like this so i'm thinking about giving this a try, has anyone tried it and how have your results been with it? Thanks in advance. Overdose

currently doing it, check out my journey... did it for a change and to see if all the hype was worth the programme, strength gains from it are fantastic and im not very far in either, about a quarter of the way through

OverDose
06-23-09, 4:13 pm
Nice, yea i'm pretty confident my body will be able to recover from it sufficiently, and with the weight gained, is it mostly good weight or what, and do you think i could do some cardio on the off days (I currently do cardio 3x a week and still make strength gains)

whosnexttt
06-23-09, 4:14 pm
20 rep squat program is some intense shit

J A Y
06-23-09, 4:26 pm
Nice, yea i'm pretty confident my body will be able to recover from it sufficiently, and with the weight gained, is it mostly good weight or what, and do you think i could do some cardio on the off days (I currently do cardio 3x a week and still make strength gains)

i havent gained any noticeable weight as of yet! time will tell tho....

and yes u definately can get away with cardio, if anything low intensity cardio and stretching are the best, is what ive been doing past few off days to get me prepared for the following workout!

swolePH
06-23-09, 5:22 pm
i was thinking about trying this too... dont really think 3x a week is good for me, I'm sore enough already squatting once a week and i have to walk a lot for my job... SUCKS 2 and 3 days later lol. I wouldn't be against 2x a week but does anyone think I could make this work with once a week?

J A Y
06-23-09, 5:41 pm
i was thinking about trying this too... dont really think 3x a week is good for me, I'm sore enough already squatting once a week and i have to walk a lot for my job... SUCKS 2 and 3 days later lol. I wouldn't be against 2x a week but does anyone think I could make this work with once a week?

definately!

how many times a week do you train now?

you could go 3 x a week

PUSH
PULL
LEGS-- do the 20 rep squats here

the programme is designed to be a whole body workout basically 3 days a week, you could split it into 3 days and use all the same principles, i.e the 20 rep squats!

dominate77
06-23-09, 5:54 pm

if you do decide to do it 3 times a week, you're body will definitely adapt and you wont be as sore as you think.

OverDose
06-23-09, 7:49 pm
My only concern is the lack of isolation of the biceps and triceps, but I assume the the rows and presses will keep them growing with the rest of my body, I've thought about adding some curls and maybe some skullcrushers to the routine, but I don't want to modify it too much.

Littlefry
06-23-09, 8:38 pm
My only concern is the lack of isolation of the biceps and triceps, but I assume the the rows and presses will keep them growing with the rest of my body, I've thought about adding some curls and maybe some skullcrushers to the routine, but I don't want to modify it too much.

The rowing and pressing will defintely keep your arms growing along with the rest of your body. When I ran 5x5 last winter I only did arms once a week and it was 2 sets of 8 reps only and my arms still grew throughout the program from being hit indirectly 3x a week.

t_mh
06-23-09, 8:57 pm

I'm in the same boat. I've been doing 20 rep once a week. It's going alright but I haven't gotten to far into it yet.