PDA

View Full Version : Higa's Strong Men

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Shukin
09-30-10, 7:49 pm
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2012998246/3.html
This Photo and the one with the Atlas stone should be Animal Posters for sure!
Will the paper sell them is the question.....
Really beautiful color in these photos.
Respect,
Shukin

Mr. Dead
10-01-10, 10:56 am
Higa... Are you going to the Iron Man, tomorrow...??? I'll definitely be going...

ClachCuidFir500
10-01-10, 2:46 pm
Thank you i will try that. I hadn't been thinking of it that way. i appreciate the advice.

T. Kemble
10-01-10, 3:15 pm
Higa,
Awesome pictures in the newspaper bro...

your training facility is making me drool. If im ever out west I'm going to have to make a trip.

tk

HIGA MONSTER
10-03-10, 6:30 pm
Very cool pictures.
Thanks alot bruddah!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2012998246/3.html
This Photo and the one with the Atlas stone should be Animal Posters for sure!
Will the paper sell them is the question.....
Really beautiful color in these photos.
Respect,
Shukin
You can purchase the pictures from the Seattle Times bro. There is an option to buy when you look at the Gallery.
Let me see if the photgrapher can email me a copy of them though...will advise.

Higa... Are you going to the Iron Man, tomorrow...??? I'll definitely be going...
No, I just flew back from Las Vegas this afternoon bro. How was it?

Higa,
Awesome pictures in the newspaper bro...

your training facility is making me drool. If im ever out west I'm going to have to make a trip.

tk
Anytime bro! You are more than welcome!

HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
10-03-10, 11:06 pm
No, I just flew back from Las Vegas this afternoon bro. How was it?
HIGA MONSTER

I could have taken my shirt off, and nabbed 3rd, in the Open Heavyweights..(And that's what dd2inxs said...) I'm seriously hungry, after seeing that...

Thrawn
10-07-10, 5:03 am
He Grant!
Spent some time on that farm with all the big stones i was talking about some time ago.
Good news: those big stones are pretty affordable, so me owning one is not a problem. A 200lbs stone will cost me roughly 100 dollars.
One thing that was kinda disappointing is that i will have to start with a way lighter stone then you suggested. I had already some good struggles with 175lbs stones... ofcourse i was wearing normal clothes and it was just testing, but i dont think i could handle a bigger stone much better after a warmup and wearing old clothes.
It is okay tho. FUN is fun, no matter what weight i lift.
But i would like to know if this is normal? Is lifting stones something you have to get used too? Its not as simple as a barbell ofcourse, you need to find the balance and points you can grip. But maybe i am missing something else?
And i will remember to have my hands not on the bottom side of the rock when i put them back on the ground =) I nicely crushed my indexfinger on the right hand, lol. SO stupid, but a lesson well learned =))

HIGA MONSTER
10-07-10, 10:16 am
He Grant!
Spent some time on that farm with all the big stones i was talking about some time ago.
Good news: those big stones are pretty affordable, so me owning one is not a problem. A 200lbs stone will cost me roughly 100 dollars.
One thing that was kinda disappointing is that i will have to start with a way lighter stone then you suggested. I had already some good struggles with 175lbs stones... ofcourse i was wearing normal clothes and it was just testing, but i dont think i could handle a bigger stone much better after a warmup and wearing old clothes.
It is okay tho. FUN is fun, no matter what weight i lift.
But i would like to know if this is normal? Is lifting stones something you have to get used too? Its not as simple as a barbell ofcourse, you need to find the balance and points you can grip. But maybe i am missing something else?
And i will remember to have my hands not on the bottom side of the rock when i put them back on the ground =) I nicely crushed my indexfinger on the right hand, lol. SO stupid, but a lesson well learned =))

Thats what makes lifting field stones fun!
Glad you were able to find out which weight works best for you.

Why don't you stick with the 175 then and work up to picking that up for 5 reps before you move on to a heavier stone.
If you don't pick up stones regularly, it can be tough.

You need to set some muscle mats under you so that you can just drop the stone too bro!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
10-07-10, 10:17 am
Inspirational video. Makes you appeciate life and what you are blessed to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRInb...layer_embedded

Enjoy your day,
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
10-07-10, 10:35 am
Thats what makes lifting field stones fun!
Glad you were able to find out which weight works best for you.

Why don't you stick with the 175 then and work up to picking that up for 5 reps before you move on to a heavier stone.
If you don't pick up stones regularly, it can be tough.

You need to set some muscle mats under you so that you can just drop the stone too bro!

HIGA MONSTER

Yeah, even tho i found it very hard, it was fun to wrestle with the darn things. I am man enough to admit tho that i expected to pick up bigger stones for sure. Good reality and ego check to be humbled by something as simple as a boulder.
I will, i have decided exactly that. Next time i am there i will look for a stone in the range of 180lbs which i can get a good hold on. Then practice, practice, practice.
Actually, this was the first time i recall picking up such a stone =)

Muscle mat... how simple. That will keep my hands and fingers from getting busted up for sure. The finger is doing okay, just a bit sore and blue. But yeah, that sounds much better.
Lift, drop, lift, drop.

wedge
10-12-10, 9:54 am
Hey big man.

I have a strongman comp this Saturday and I wanted to pick your brain on nutrition and the mental aspect leading up to it. I am as trained as can be and am taking this week off to rest.
I am wondering if there are any mental aspects/tricks leading up to the contest you might suggest (visualization, etc.).
Also, what would you recommend for nutrition? What should I eat the day/night before? Morning of? What do you suggest to bring with me, supplement or whole food wise, to snack on during the contest?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

mcbeast
10-12-10, 2:18 pm
Inspirational video. Makes you appeciate life and what you are blessed to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRInb...layer_embedded

Enjoy your day,
HIGA MONSTER

Broken link big guy.

Thrawn
10-13-10, 6:22 am
Small question for the experienced strongman in here.
I have noticed that i have a harder time doing overhead presses with my log then i do have with regular standing military press.
Personally, i thought both would be rather comparable. I have heard a few others that appear to have similar feelings like mine: overhead logpress is a tad harder then mil press.

Is this true in your experience also? I dont experience a very BIG difference between the two, but large enough to have noticed it last couple of weeks.

For me it is of some importance to know. I run a 5 3 1 program right now and one of the movements is logpress. But on some days when i am not at my girls house (my strongman log is there) i substitute logpress with standing mil press. As 5 3 1 is percentage based program, i can run into trouble if i set PR's with mil press that i would normally translate straight into logpress numbers.

HIGA MONSTER
10-13-10, 12:07 pm
Hey big man.

I have a strongman comp this Saturday and I wanted to pick your brain on nutrition and the mental aspect leading up to it. I am as trained as can be and am taking this week off to rest.
I am wondering if there are any mental aspects/tricks leading up to the contest you might suggest (visualization, etc.).
Also, what would you recommend for nutrition? What should I eat the day/night before? Morning of? What do you suggest to bring with me, supplement or whole food wise, to snack on during the contest?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I like to eat a clean carbohydrate dinner the night before, with some lean protein and veggies.
If you eat fried foods, or ice cream the night before you will not sleep good the night prior to your contest. Top that off with the excitement of competing and you will be trashed.
Imagine doing a medley after eating a whole bunch of bacon and Biscuits and Gravy that morning...that would suck and you would feel like shit running around.

Bring any snacks or drinks that you usually use. I like to take my pre-workout drink 30 mins before game time. If the promoter is good, they will have drinks and fruits for you, but make sure you have your BCAA or other things.

Visualization is always key. Always see yourself doing each event and performing balls to the wall. Once you think negative thoughts or doubts, you will not do well in the event.

Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
10-13-10, 12:19 pm
Small question for the experienced strongman in here.
I have noticed that i have a harder time doing overhead presses with my log then i do have with regular standing military press.
Personally, i thought both would be rather comparable. I have heard a few others that appear to have similar feelings like mine: overhead logpress is a tad harder then mil press.

Is this true in your experience also? I dont experience a very BIG difference between the two, but large enough to have noticed it last couple of weeks.

For me it is of some importance to know. I run a 5 3 1 program right now and one of the movements is logpress. But on some days when i am not at my girls house (my strongman log is there) i substitute logpress with standing mil press. As 5 3 1 is percentage based program, i can run into trouble if i set PR's with mil press that i would normally translate straight into logpress numbers.

Log press is always harder because the diameter of the log pushes the weight away forward from your center of gravity.
I believe you have an 8" or 10" log, right? If so, its actually easier to press a log with that diameter than a 13" or 14" log. Does this make sense to you?

I got short arms too, so pressing a 13" log requires alot of timing. I mean that I have to get my head under the log as quickly as I can so that I can lock it out.

Stan Efferding is a HUGE bench presser, but when he first touched the log at our ABC last Saturday it was strange for him to press it because the balance is unique and the timing of pressing it is different from a bar.
After doing the 290 lb log for one rep, he easily pressed it again on the 2nd set after getting familiar.

I have never done the 5/3/1 program so its hard for me to chime in on that.
If you don't have the Log with you, are you doing DB Presses with the palms in like a log press grip?

Don't be surprised if you military press alot in the gym and don't do that same amount on the Log.
Just keep working on the Log and it will come.

HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
10-13-10, 12:57 pm
Log press is always harder because the diameter of the log pushes the weight away forward from your center of gravity.
I believe you have an 8" or 10" log, right? If so, its actually easier to press a log with that diameter than a 13" or 14" log. Does this make sense to you?

I got short arms too, so pressing a 13" log requires alot of timing. I mean that I have to get my head under the log as quickly as I can so that I can lock it out.

Stan Efferding is a HUGE bench presser, but when he first touched the log at our ABC last Saturday it was strange for him to press it because the balance is unique and the timing of pressing it is different from a bar.
After doing the 290 lb log for one rep, he easily pressed it again on the 2nd set after getting familiar.

I have never done the 5/3/1 program so its hard for me to chime in on that.
If you don't have the Log with you, are you doing DB Presses with the palms in like a log press grip?

Don't be surprised if you military press alot in the gym and don't do that same amount on the Log.
Just keep working on the Log and it will come.

HIGA MONSTER

Yes, i totally understand. Then my feelings / suspicions were right all along. Completely logical in hindsight... the center of gravity.
Also the timing. Good insight to have. I will spent some extra time on that, visualizing it and then doing it with lower weight at first. I have noticed sometimes that the amount of effort in pressing out can differ between reps and that is most likely timing in hindsight.
No problem about the 5 3 1, i have the answers to my questions now. But an EXCELLENT idea to do DB presses PALMS INWARDS in the gym where we dont have a log. That would be much closer to the 'real' logpress and have a better carry-over for sure.

Much appreciated, higamonster! A nice relief to have my suspicions confirmed.

HIGA MONSTER
10-13-10, 1:59 pm
Yes, i totally understand. Then my feelings / suspicions were right all along. Completely logical in hindsight... the center of gravity.
Also the timing. Good insight to have. I will spent some extra time on that, visualizing it and then doing it with lower weight at first. I have noticed sometimes that the amount of effort in pressing out can differ between reps and that is most likely timing in hindsight.
No problem about the 5 3 1, i have the answers to my questions now. But an EXCELLENT idea to do DB presses PALMS INWARDS in the gym where we dont have a log. That would be much closer to the 'real' logpress and have a better carry-over for sure.

Much appreciated, higamonster! A nice relief to have my suspicions confirmed.

DB Incline Presses with the palms in also help with Log Press.
You can also do Hammer Curl/Standing DB press combos as well. As if you were simulating a Log Press.

Hope this helps,
HIGA

Thrawn
10-13-10, 5:10 pm
DB Incline Presses with the palms in also help with Log Press.
You can also do Hammer Curl/Standing DB press combos as well. As if you were simulating a Log Press.

Hope this helps,
HIGA

Great tips. VERY helpful.
Such an encyclopedia of knowledge and tips... you are worth your weight in AnimalPak, brother! (Gold would not do proper justice in this case =)

wedge
10-13-10, 6:51 pm
I like to eat a clean carbohydrate dinner the night before, with some lean protein and veggies.
If you eat fried foods, or ice cream the night before you will not sleep good the night prior to your contest. Top that off with the excitement of competing and you will be trashed.
Imagine doing a medley after eating a whole bunch of bacon and Biscuits and Gravy that morning...that would suck and you would feel like shit running around.

Bring any snacks or drinks that you usually use. I like to take my pre-workout drink 30 mins before game time. If the promoter is good, they will have drinks and fruits for you, but make sure you have your BCAA or other things.

Visualization is always key. Always see yourself doing each event and performing balls to the wall. Once you think negative thoughts or doubts, you will not do well in the event.

Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER

Thank you for the tips. I will follow your advice for dinner the night before. I'm thinking chicken breast, sweet potato and some broccoli.
Appreciate everything bro.

To go along with your conversation with Thrawn, do you find it easier to clean a log than a straight barbell? I've clean a 200 lb log several times. However, I was struggling a bit with 185 barbell cleans the other week in the gym.

HIGA MONSTER
10-13-10, 10:03 pm
Thank you for the tips. I will follow your advice for dinner the night before. I'm thinking chicken breast, sweet potato and some broccoli.
Appreciate everything bro.

To go along with your conversation with Thrawn, do you find it easier to clean a log than a straight barbell? I've clean a 200 lb log several times. However, I was struggling a bit with 185 barbell cleans the other week in the gym.

Yea, its easier to clean a log. You just roll it up your stomach. The thicker the log, the easier it is to clean, but harder to press.
The skinnier the log, its harder to clean but is easier to press.

Send me a video of you doing those lifts if you can bro.

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
10-19-10, 1:51 pm
Yea, its easier to clean a log. You just roll it up your stomach. The thicker the log, the easier it is to clean, but harder to press.
The skinnier the log, its harder to clean but is easier to press.

Send me a video of you doing those lifts if you can bro.

HIGA MONSTER

I have video of the 240 atlas stone from my comp this weekend. Just have to figure out where to post it.
Thanks for the advice leading in. Wit the help of you and Boar I did a lot better than last year and way better than I did during my last practice run through.

HIGA MONSTER
10-19-10, 10:48 pm
I have video of the 240 atlas stone from my comp this weekend. Just have to figure out where to post it.
Thanks for the advice leading in. Wit the help of you and Boar I did a lot better than last year and way better than I did during my last practice run through.

Right on man! Can't wait to see the video! Congrats on your performance!

HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
10-20-10, 4:24 am

How about right here =)))? I would love to see you OWN that stone!!

wedge
10-20-10, 7:51 pm
How about right here =)))? I would love to see you OWN that stone!!

I have it on my iPhone and on my FB account. Not sure how to get it onto a site I can post a link to on the forum.

Higa, here's my contest stuff. When you get a sec, let me know what you think please.

Opening medley: 550 tire flip and 500 lb sled drag: Got the tire over 5 times in 30 seconds. The sled dragged me down, as it was on a gym floor and everyone was complaining it was sticking. Plus my shoes wouldn't grip.

Yoke Press 200 lbs: Wasn't able to complete a rep, but I got it up higher than I have in practice. Need to work on my pressing

Yoke Walk 500 lbs: Made it down to the other end of the gym. This is a drastic improvement, as two weeks ago, during our last practice, I was only able to get it 1/4 of the way down, with only 450 on my back.

Rolling Thunder Deadlift Hold (static hold) 100 lbs: 29 seconds. Pain in the ass.

Atlas Stones: got the 240 ball over 44 and 48". Best improvement here. Last year I could barely budge the 200 lb stone and in the last practice, I could not get the 420 over. Guess I was saving it all for the competition.

HIGA MONSTER
10-21-10, 12:02 am
I have it on my iPhone and on my FB account. Not sure how to get it onto a site I can post a link to on the forum.

Higa, here's my contest stuff. When you get a sec, let me know what you think please.

Opening medley: 550 tire flip and 500 lb sled drag: Got the tire over 5 times in 30 seconds. The sled dragged me down, as it was on a gym floor and everyone was complaining it was sticking. Plus my shoes wouldn't grip.

Yoke Press 200 lbs: Wasn't able to complete a rep, but I got it up higher than I have in practice. Need to work on my pressing

Yoke Walk 500 lbs: Made it down to the other end of the gym. This is a drastic improvement, as two weeks ago, during our last practice, I was only able to get it 1/4 of the way down, with only 450 on my back.

Rolling Thunder Deadlift Hold (static hold) 100 lbs: 29 seconds. Pain in the ass.

Atlas Stones: got the 240 ball over 44 and 48". Best improvement here. Last year I could barely budge the 200 lb stone and in the last practice, I could not get the 420 over. Guess I was saving it all for the competition.

Good job bro!
I am surprised that they let you guys do a Sled Drag in the gymnasium...that can really damage a gym floor.

Hopefully you can post the video. Again, congrats!

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
10-21-10, 1:39 pm
Good job bro!
I am surprised that they let you guys do a Sled Drag in the gymnasium...that can really damage a gym floor.

Hopefully you can post the video. Again, congrats!

HIGA MONSTER

We had a rug cut out and placed around it. Doesn't damage the floor, but makes it a bit more pain in the ass.

HIGA MONSTER
10-22-10, 12:25 am
We had a rug cut out and placed around it. Doesn't damage the floor, but makes it a bit more pain in the ass.

Ahhhh, got ya.
Thats like pushing the 2x4 wood piece with carpet on it back & forth on the gym floor. SUCKS!

HIGA

Thrawn
10-27-10, 6:26 am
Hey Grant. Question =) Another one. Really starting to like this strongman work, hehe.

I am looking to do my first medley sunday. I have made my own equipment and have my harness. Is there a 'preferred' order in which to do a medley or something?
I can do carpulls, farmers walk and logpress. That is what i have available right now. I dont have a lot of plates yet, so i cant make things superheavy, but that is also not top priority right now, i think. First get the hang of things.

My idea was:
- car pull, 100 yards (car will be 3500lbs)
- farmers walk, 100 yards (one turn, so 50 back and forth). gonna be around 90lbs per handle
- logpress, 135lbs (cleaning it up, then back to floor. full reset, as many times as a i can)
Repeat medley at least three times.

Is this a good order to put them in? If not, why and what should i alter?

HIGA MONSTER
10-28-10, 12:34 am
Hey Grant. Question =) Another one. Really starting to like this strongman work, hehe.

I am looking to do my first medley sunday. I have made my own equipment and have my harness. Is there a 'preferred' order in which to do a medley or something?
I can do carpulls, farmers walk and logpress. That is what i have available right now. I dont have a lot of plates yet, so i cant make things superheavy, but that is also not top priority right now, i think. First get the hang of things.

My idea was:
- car pull, 100 yards (car will be 3500lbs)
- farmers walk, 100 yards (one turn, so 50 back and forth). gonna be around 90lbs per handle
- logpress, 135lbs (cleaning it up, then back to floor. full reset, as many times as a i can)
Repeat medley at least three times.

Is this a good order to put them in? If not, why and what should i alter?

Dude, that is a sick medley!

Sounds good though cause it will be challenging to hold the Farmers after the Car Pull. I assume this if you are using a rope though...sounds like you may not, so even better.

Cardio kid!
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
10-28-10, 3:46 pm
Dude, that is a sick medley!

Sounds good though cause it will be challenging to hold the Farmers after the Car Pull. I assume this if you are using a rope though...sounds like you may not, so even better.

Cardio kid!
HIGA MONSTER

Okay, so the medley is approved =) I will video my first ever medley and post it up!
I wont be holding a rope during the pull, i havent got one yet. It will be just me and the harness.
I hope to have one soon tho, cause i am also pulling a 9000lbs tractor sometimes. That one is HARD and i could use the rope to stabilize myself.

Thrawn
10-31-10, 12:36 pm
And BOY was that medley hard to do.
It was a LOT of fun, but it was way harder then i expected it to be. I had not a lot of problems with the weight, even tho the logpress was a bit heavy for me. My biggest problem: s t a m i n a. Getting so out of breath that i just couldnt perform anymore. Even had the taste of blood in my mouth afterwards =) Full recap and vid monday or tuesday; left my usb-cable at home.

Thrawn
11-02-10, 8:04 am
As promised, me getting a can of whoop-ass with my first strongman medley =)

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/?action=view&current=MyfirstmedleySUCKED.mp4

Carpull, 100 yards, 3000+lbs
Farmers walk; 60 yards, around 90lbs per handle
Logpress; 135lbs.

You can see me being unstable already during the first logpress. The weight was not a big problem, but i was just breathing and panting so hard i was losing control of everything =) During the second i was badly going black behind the eyes and thought it better to quit. No need in getting injured while trying something out.
Road was slippery and it was still raining a little bit. But that didnt hinder me at all.

The second run i did better, but i also did the medley in reverse order. Wasnt fully recovered yet, but did 4 good logpresses instead of the lame 2 in the first medley.

Next week i am gonna try it again. I will probably try to pull the car less fast, i tried running with it this time.

HIGA MONSTER
11-02-10, 10:02 am
As promised, me getting a can of whoop-ass with my first strongman medley =)

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/?action=view&current=MyfirstmedleySUCKED.mp4

Carpull, 100 yards, 3000+lbs
Farmers walk; 60 yards, around 90lbs per handle
Logpress; 135lbs.

You can see me being unstable already during the first logpress. The weight was not a big problem, but i was just breathing and panting so hard i was losing control of everything =) During the second i was badly going black behind the eyes and thought it better to quit. No need in getting injured while trying something out.
Road was slippery and it was still raining a little bit. But that didnt hinder me at all.

The second run i did better, but i also did the medley in reverse order. Wasnt fully recovered yet, but did 4 good logpresses instead of the lame 2 in the first medley.

Next week i am gonna try it again. I will probably try to pull the car less fast, i tried running with it this time.

BRUTAL!

You are crazy man! I think its a good way to get your cardio going for sure but don't use it as a way to build strength in your Farmers or Log press ok?

Log press: you need to practice to not "hammer curl" your log. If you get heavier log press attempts, thats a pulled bicep waiting to happen. Try to row the log up to your stomach above your navel instead.
You also need to thrust your elbows more forward before starting the press. Like how an Oly Lifter racks a bar before the jerk.
And practice getting your head under & through the log more. I don't want you to enter a contest and not get a rep counted because you didn't get your head underneath.

Good stuff man!
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
11-02-10, 12:44 pm
BRUTAL!

You are crazy man! I think its a good way to get your cardio going for sure but don't use it as a way to build strength in your Farmers or Log press ok?

Log press: you need to practice to not "hammer curl" your log. If you get heavier log press attempts, thats a pulled bicep waiting to happen. Try to row the log up to your stomach above your navel instead.
You also need to thrust your elbows more forward before starting the press. Like how an Oly Lifter racks a bar before the jerk.
And practice getting your head under & through the log more. I don't want you to enter a contest and not get a rep counted because you didn't get your head underneath.

Good stuff man!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks and understood!

Great pointers! I must say 'in my defence' that normally i press way better, like you describe. Maybe not perfect yet, but much better then what you see on the vid. But i was so beat and out of breath that i was just not able to control anything anymore.
But i will take that 'rolling it up' to heart. I need to work on that for sure. So far i have been cleaning it up and i can tell that i am reaching my limits there. I just made a 155lbs PR yesterday with my log. SO happy about that. I have never been able to do proper overhead pressing in my gym, we have very LOW ceilings. so its a weak spot for sure.

HIGA MONSTER
11-03-10, 1:27 am
My fellow Animals,

I will be doing an Exercise seminar at the SW Community Center in West Seattle on Saturday Nov 6th.

http://www.cityofseattle.net/Parks/centers/swcc.htm

It will run from 11am-1pm.
We expect about 60 teenagers to attend from the West Seattle area. This community center is directly across from Chief Sealth International High School.

The goal is to take these kids and run them through a series of workout drills in the gymnasium so that we can make them aware of how important it is to be active, even without a gym membership.

"Childhood Overweight & Obesity" is classified under the Center for Disease Control as an official "disease" and we need to focus on helping our children get more active in their lifestyle and not stay in the house playing video games for 4-6 hours a day.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/childhood/index.html

I plan to show them different exercises and agility drills that they can do on their home, without the aid of a gym membership. Its totally understandable that many families cannot afford to pay a gym membership or even buy equipment for a home gym.
However, we can be creative and put together a series of workouts that will help the kids in our community to not be stagnant. Who knows...this may open doors toward a Athletic Scholarship for college? Or just keep our kids from taking the wrong path in life.

Animal Pak has donated some t-shirts and protein samples towards this seminar. Thank you Rage for sending me a great donation box that I can give out to these kids
Costco has also donated water and sports drinks for the workout. The University of Washington is also sending some of their Athletic Trainers to do Body Comps on the kids.

After the workout, I will give a brief talk to the kids and the do a Log Press exhibition in the gymnasium.

We are also trying to finalize me pulling a School Bus in the parking lot. I hope this will come through because the kids would love that, but unfortunately the school district has a liability issue with that idea. I even offered to sign a liability waiver for them but no word yet. :(

Thanks for your interest and support! Much aloha!
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
11-03-10, 4:38 am
Commendable, Higamonster! That is showing love for the sport and active lifestyle.

I sure hope they get that liability with the schoolbus fixed... would be a bummer not to do that feat in front of those kids. I hope you have a GREAT time there, big man!

mcbeast
11-03-10, 12:14 pm
Thanks for doing all these cool things once I leave! Like stated above, very commendable and something I would have loved to been a part of.

HIGA MONSTER
11-03-10, 12:32 pm
Commendable, Higamonster! That is showing love for the sport and active lifestyle.

I sure hope they get that liability with the schoolbus fixed... would be a bummer not to do that feat in front of those kids. I hope you have a GREAT time there, big man!

Thank you. It should be fun!
HIGA

HIGA MONSTER
11-03-10, 12:32 pm
Thanks for doing all these cool things once I leave! Like stated above, very commendable and something I would have loved to been a part of.

I love you too...
HIGA

mcbeast
11-03-10, 12:35 pm
I love you too...
HIGA

Thast sweet. Im still mad tho! When things settle down a bit in life I plan to be apart of these types of functions. Looking very forward to it. In the meantime I will be working to be the best I can be, the more I know the more I can share.

C.Coronato
11-03-10, 3:41 pm
As im sure you heard, but im not sure if you follow professional surfing or not. Professional Surfer Andy Irons passed away. He was born and raised in Oahu. Sad day for the Powerlifting and Surfing world yesterday.

HIGA MONSTER
11-03-10, 6:03 pm
As im sure you heard, but im not sure if you follow professional surfing or not. Professional Surfer Andy Irons passed away. He was born and raised in Oahu. Sad day for the Powerlifting and Surfing world yesterday.

Yea brah, my wife told me that last night. What a frickin bummer. That dude was badass in Surfing.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-07-10, 12:47 am
I had a great time today taking some kids through a workout at the SW Community Center. A few of the parents were on hand too.
Most of the kids were Polynesian and they were really surprised at how hard it can be to run around doing exercise drills. Alot of them were breathing pretty hard!

Afterwards, I did a Log Press demo showing them how difficult it may seem to press a log as compared to a barbbell. Some of the kids even tried to pickup the log and were suprised at how heavy it was!

Corporate sent me alot of t-shirts that I gave to all the kids and they loved it! I also had enough to give to the Community Director, the DJ and a few student helpers.
I also gave away sample envelopes of "Real Gains" to these kids and explained how important it is to get a product like that into their system when completing a workout, in order to start the repair process of their bodies.

Thank you Rage for sending me a great box of goodies!

Here are some pictures that someone was able to take for me. This was also posted in the "Gallery" section of the FORVM.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharer

Here is a video too of the Polynesian kids from the "SW Youth & Family Services" that did a dance performance in the middle of our program. They did a Samoan Slap Dance and 2 different Hakas.
This is also posted in "The Vids" section of the FORVM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdigwaZipzQ

Thank you Animal Pak for supporting me with this community event! The kids love it! The Seattle-Times also sent a reporter and a photographer for this workout. When I see the article in the newspaper, I will be sure to post it up.

Enjoy, and remember to keep our youth active in their everyday lives!
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
11-07-10, 5:50 am
Awesome, Grant. That sounds like time WELL spent. Its all about sharing knowledge and enjoying sports.
The link for the pictures doesnt work tho. And somehow i couldnt find the gallery part of the forum?

I really enjoyed watching the performances! Guarding, keeping and celebrating our cultural heritage is an honorable thing to do.

All in all, AWESOME work, Grant. You are an inspiring brother.

HIGA MONSTER
11-07-10, 10:36 am
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013366603_strongman07m.html

This came out in the Sunday paper today...

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-07-10, 10:42 am
Awesome, Grant. That sounds like time WELL spent. Its all about sharing knowledge and enjoying sports.
The link for the pictures doesnt work tho. And somehow i couldnt find the gallery part of the forum?

I really enjoyed watching the performances! Guarding, keeping and celebrating our cultural heritage is an honorable thing to do.
All in all, AWESOME work, Grant. You are an inspiring brother.

That's weird. It worked for me when I clicked on it.
Here is the link again, and I just saw the slideshow before I posted this:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharer

Thanks,
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
11-10-10, 5:09 am
That's weird. It worked for me when I clicked on it.
Here is the link again, and I just saw the slideshow before I posted this:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharer

Thanks,
HIGA MONSTER

Dont know whats going wrong here. This link appears to work, but i get an empty page to look at.

Thrawn
11-10-10, 5:18 am
Grant, gotta bug you with another small question =)
Its about the logpress.
Your tips on form have let to good progress. I am getting more confident with bigger weight and i certainly getting better at timing the press.
Now, even tho i am a firm believer in staying safe and using gear like belts and wristwraps on the big sets, i do try to do as much work without them. In the end, that will get you strongest.
With this i mind, i have noticed that i appear not to get a lot out of my gear on logpress. I even feel like i am pressing better / easier without it. I have not been able to prove this in weights.
But when i go for heavy singles, lets say 10lbs below my PR, i honestly cant say that the 'geared' reps are easier. Sometimes its the other way around.

Is that just me not having learned yet how to use the gear in this exercise? I know it took me some time to actually use the belt in squats, strangely enough.
Or is the logpress an exercise where gear is not going to help you much anyway? I could certainly understand that. Overhead pressing, you are standing fully extended, so you cant apply a lot of pressure on the belt.

Very interested on your experience / view on this matter.

HIGA MONSTER
11-10-10, 10:12 am
Grant, gotta bug you with another small question =)
Its about the logpress.
Your tips on form have let to good progress. I am getting more confident with bigger weight and i certainly getting better at timing the press.
Now, even tho i am a firm believer in staying safe and using gear like belts and wristwraps on the big sets, i do try to do as much work without them. In the end, that will get you strongest.
With this i mind, i have noticed that i appear not to get a lot out of my gear on logpress. I even feel like i am pressing better / easier without it. I have not been able to prove this in weights.
But when i go for heavy singles, lets say 10lbs below my PR, i honestly cant say that the 'geared' reps are easier. Sometimes its the other way around.

Is that just me not having learned yet how to use the gear in this exercise? I know it took me some time to actually use the belt in squats, strangely enough.
Or is the logpress an exercise where gear is not going to help you much anyway? I could certainly understand that. Overhead pressing, you are standing fully extended, so you cant apply a lot of pressure on the belt.

Very interested on your experience / view on this matter.

When I first started Strongman, I used a belt on my overhead presses such as a Log or Axle.

I don't use a belt now and probably haven't for the past 5 years?
I noticed that the belt would get in the way of my cleaning a Log and it would mess my set-up. So I ditched the belt and can roll it easily off my stomach now. The buckle can be a pain when you try to clean the Log, unless you turn it around.

Same thing with an Axle. If I continental clean it, I place it on my upper abdomen.

I don't think having a belt on in overhead pressing matters much, just your Core and the way your feet is stable & spaced apart.
Most Olympic LIfters that are at the Elite level don't use a heavy belt like us but they are throwing up stupid amount of weight. They are using their levers as best they can and standing up with a shoulder width stance.

I will only use wrist wraps on a really heavy press. Especially on the Axle cause that can torque your wrists pretty good if you are not careful.

Now this is a 300 lb strongman talking with a gut for a shelf...everybody is different. I got training partners that need a belt for support because they got washboard abs.
Zack doesn't use a belt at all for ANY strongman or weight training and the kid has crazy retard strength. On the flip side, Zydrunas Savickas uses a belt + Rehband belt for his max presses. Z is a big guy too.

Try lifting it without a belt for a while and see how it goes. Keep me posted.
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
11-10-10, 10:29 am
Sounds logical to me, i wondered about the weightlifters too. Throwing up 450lbs+ and its rare to see a belt being used. For me, at least so far, the belt hasnt been in the way or something. I just dont seem to have much help from it and frankly, i suspect it distracts me somehow.
I am not 300lbs, closer to 220-230lbs. But i sure dont have a washboard. I do have a bit of a gut.

I will do that, stop using the belt with logpresses for a while. Nothing i said or stated was out of the ordinary or i am sure you would have commented on it. Appearantly my core stability / strength must be good enough for now, otherwise i should have had problems reaching max weight ungeared. And i dont.

Good to see you keep the perspective on all sides, giving examples of yay and nay for the belt.

FeatheZ
11-10-10, 10:40 am
Good stuff Higa really good to have you here brother

HIGA MONSTER
11-10-10, 11:00 am
Sounds logical to me, i wondered about the weightlifters too. Throwing up 450lbs+ and its rare to see a belt being used. For me, at least so far, the belt hasnt been in the way or something. I just dont seem to have much help from it and frankly, i suspect it distracts me somehow.
I am not 300lbs, closer to 220-230lbs. But i sure dont have a washboard. I do have a bit of a gut.

I will do that, stop using the belt with logpresses for a while. Nothing i said or stated was out of the ordinary or i am sure you would have commented on it. Appearantly my core stability / strength must be good enough for now, otherwise i should have had problems reaching max weight ungeared. And i dont.

Good to see you keep the perspective on all sides, giving examples of yay and nay for the belt.

If its a distraction, ditch the gear.
You need to focus on the lift and not how the belt is irritating to you...LOL

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-10-10, 11:00 am
Good stuff Higa really good to have you here brother

Thanks man.
HIGA

Thrawn
11-10-10, 11:14 am
If its a distraction, ditch the gear.
You need to focus on the lift and not how the belt is irritating to you...LOL

HIGA MONSTER

LOL!
Its nothing as serious as that, haha. Best i can describe: 'its bugging me cause i wear it and it dont see it helping me, like in my squats.'
But you are right, if its distracting me from the lift, for whatever reason, lets ditch it for a while. See how it goes. Enough said about it now =)

I am just trying to be careful, it might just as well have been me being too inexperienced yet. Not knowing how to make the belt work for me.
I got only one good body. I feel blessed that i have been able to keep it from serious harm in my 40 years. I intend to keep it that way, even tho injuries do happen.
I'd like to check things that might compromise safety first with more experienced lifters.

wedge
11-12-10, 2:42 pm
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013366603_strongman07m.html

This came out in the Sunday paper today...

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Nice to see some strongman activities getting some press.
Tip of the shaker cup to you for spreading the good word bro.

HIGA MONSTER
11-12-10, 5:10 pm
Nice to see some strongman activities getting some press.
Tip of the shaker cup to you for spreading the good word bro.

Thanks bro!
It was all for the kids.

I was really surprised because I only went through HALF of the exercises I had planned and the kids were huffing and puffing!
Makes you wonder how much we need to establish how important it is to exercise and play for our Youth.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-12-10, 5:37 pm
My training partner Zack Nims is almost done with Day 1 of the contest.

700 lb YOKE WALK/250 lb SANDBAG CARRY MEDLEY (60 feet each way):
Zack got 3rd place.

GIANT DUMBBELL PRESS (150 lbs in 60 secs):
Zack wins with 10 reps! 2nd place was 4 other competitors with 8 reps.

CAR DEADLIFT is next...

Keep you posted!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-12-10, 6:37 pm
Day 1 has come to an end for the men.

Toyota Corolla car deadlift for reps: Jeff Peterson wins with 24 reps. Robert Chanson, Derek Stone, Aaron West, Donnie Rhodes, and Will Dinwiddie complete 21 reps. Zack Nims gets 18 reps for 3rd place.

I was worried about this event for Zack because Jeff Peterson has always been a great Deadlifter. Hopefully, Zack can regroup and make up points tomorrow.

The ladies are next! They start at 4pm Pacific time.
My training partner Kristyn Whisman is competing in the Middleweights. Now, I'm rooting for her. She is competing against "Fury" of the former "American Gladiators" TV show.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
11-12-10, 6:41 pm
Best of Luck to Zack and Kristyn!

HIGA MONSTER
11-12-10, 9:38 pm
Best of Luck to Zack and Kristyn!

Zack is in 2nd overall after Day 1.

231 lb class:
Jeff Peterson (Minnesotta)
Zack Nims (Washington)
Will Dinwiddie (Oregon)

How about that? There are 2 guys from the Pacific Northwest that are in the top 3 of the National Championship. Fuckin badass. Dinwiddie is a BEAST too, and he doesn't compete to much. I'm glad he is there competing at Nats.

Women:
My girl Kristyn Whisman is in 2nd place in the Middleweight Women class so far. Kristyn is the defending National champ. There are 6 girls in her weight class.
She is 1 point behind the leader...

She got 2nd in the Axle Press, 2nd in the Truck Pull,and 2nd in the Yoke Walk.

They started at 4pm PST and Zack's girlfriend said its so frickin COLD right now she can't feel her fingers or toes. The low in Reno tonight is supposed to be 27 degrees Fahrenheit. Yikes...

Keep you posted,
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-12-10, 10:52 pm
Just got word, Kristyn placed 3rd overall in the Middleweight Women.

She's pretty upset at herself, but she needs to hold her head up high.
I guess she was pretty gassed after the Keg Carry/Chain Drag. Maybe the elevation in Reno and the cold air they were competing in got to her? My friend SARGE had to pick her up and carry her off the meet area after she didn't finish the Chain Drag.
Then she had to do the Atlas Stones right away because of her poor placing in the previous event.

I'm still proud of her!
Kristyn drives almost 1 hour every Sat morning to meet us at the Warehouse to train. Then has to drive 1 hr back home. Thats fuckin dedication...

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
11-13-10, 7:38 am
Well Done Kristyn !!!!!!!
Does Zack have to win to get his pro card?

HIGA MONSTER
11-13-10, 9:34 am
Does Zack have to win to get his pro card?

Correct.

The top Lightweight and top Heavyweight gets there Pro Card.
Zack has 60 guys in his weight class. If you have one bad event, you are down a shitload of points that would be hard to make up. Consistency is key.

He can win the Axle Press and the Stones.
I am worried about the Frame Carry because Jeff Peterson is awesome in that event.
The Keg Carry & Sled Drag is also a concern...Peterson can possibly win that too.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
11-13-10, 10:15 am
I'd love to see Zack win

Thrawn
11-13-10, 10:55 am
WELL DONE, Kristyn! 3rd place is badass. Its not first place, but nevertheless, its podium. Top three; nothing to be ashamed of at all. Outstanding!

Cant wait to hear about Zack!

Brick By Brick
11-13-10, 12:44 pm
Talked to Kristyn a little while ago, she's doing better today. I've had a lot of respect and admiration for her since I started out in strongman. She's definitely no quitter. IMHO, she's pound for pound, America's Strongest Woman. She puts up ridiculous weight for a person her size and weight. Plus, she displays good sportsmanship and stays above the drama. Good representative of our sport.
Will go watch the men today and pass along updates.

HIGA MONSTER
11-13-10, 2:43 pm
Zack tied for 1st place in the Axle Press for reps with 9 reps.

The overall leader, Jeff Peterson, only got 7 reps so Zack picks up a point on Jeff.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
11-13-10, 5:27 pm
Zack tied for 1st place in the Axle Press for reps with 9 reps.

The overall leader, Jeff Peterson, only got 7 reps so Zack picks up a point on Jeff.

HIGA MONSTER

Hell Yes!

Brick By Brick
11-13-10, 10:00 pm
If you believe Marunde Muscle, Zack Nims won his pro card. He kicked ass in the stones, loaded all five. We will know for sure here in about an hour.

Shukin
11-14-10, 6:05 am
If you believe Marunde Muscle, Zack Nims won his pro card. He kicked ass in the stones, loaded all five. We will know for sure here in about an hour.

Oh I hope so, the guy has worked so hard for it.

Ed Eliason
11-14-10, 10:53 am
A big congratulations to Zack!!

Brick By Brick
11-14-10, 11:55 am
Zack is officially a NAS pro, his parents were there to see him win it. I'm excited to see his progress in the pro class. Well-deserved, he is a great guy.

Shukin
11-14-10, 6:15 pm
Zack is officially a NAS pro, his parents were there to see him win it. I'm excited to see his progress in the pro class. Well-deserved, he is a great guy.

Fuckin' A right! Well done Zack...

Respect,
Shukin

HIGA MONSTER
11-14-10, 6:30 pm
3 years and 1 month ago, I got a phone call from some kid that lived in Maple Valley. He left a message saying, "Hey, I want to get into strongman and I heard you are the guy to talk to and was wondering if I could train with you."

In 2008, Zack Nims won the "Teenage HW National Champioship" in Salina, Kansas. He weighed 265 lbs.

In 2009, Zack qualified for Nationals as a Lightweight and brought his bodyweight down to 231 lbs. He missed his Pro Card by 1 point last year at Nationals (Louisiana).

2010, he is now a Lightweight Pro strongman after an epic battle in Reno, NV.
He weighed 227 lbs and was the ONLY Lightweight man to load all 5 stones. The 5th stone was 390 lbs.

2 Pro Strongmen are now living in Maple Valley, WA. Two of 3 Pro Strongmen are from Washington state.

Area code (425) is proud of Zack Nims, and so are all of his training partners and family.

I am fuckin honored to train with this kid because he is the real deal...
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
11-14-10, 6:36 pm
Hey Big Kahuna,
Make sure you give Zack a big congratulations from his number one fan in Japan!
And congratulations to you as well for training him, you are a great role model.

Respect,
Shukin

mcbeast
11-14-10, 7:29 pm
Give that kid a pat on the back for me..He is a true monster! He is just starting out and has a long road ahead of him!

HIGA MONSTER
11-15-10, 1:03 am
Zack earned an invite to compete in "The Arnold Amateur Strongman Championship" next March!

He joins the top 15 HW competitors from this past weekend PLUS 5 other Americans at THE ARNOLD.
Zack will be the only LW competitor there competing with all the Big Boys.

FUCKIN AWESOME.

Beaming with pride,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
11-15-10, 3:23 am
Zack earned an invite to compete in "The Arnold Amateur Strongman Championship" next March!

FUCKIN AWESOME.

Beaming with pride,
HIGA MONSTER

You should be proud bro, I could feel it in your demo video at the BB comp, you looked and sounded so happy for him.
I thought when you came on stage and they were playing that music you were going to break dance for us.

Respect,
Shukin

Thrawn
11-15-10, 5:29 am
OUTSTANDING!
Congratulations to both Zack and hit trainer =))

HIGA MONSTER
11-15-10, 9:25 am
I thought when you came on stage and they were playing that music you were going to break dance for us.

Respect,
Shukin

They didn't have any cardboard boxes lying around...I wanted to really do some hand spins!
I even cued up my "Beat Street, the king of the beat..." music.

LOL,
HIGA

HIGA MONSTER
11-15-10, 9:26 am
OUTSTANDING!
Congratulations to both Zack and his trainer =))

Thanks bro.
We are having celebration sushi dinner in his honor tonight!

HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
11-16-10, 4:27 am
Hope you had a great celebration for these great results.
I sure hope Krystin also feels a lot better: 3rd place is nothing to be embarressed about!!

Promised to keep you updated on my 'gear - no gear' for logpress.
Yesterday i did a full session of logpresses with just chalk. No belt, no wristwraps. Went outstanding even tho i think i could have gotten a rep more in the last session if i had used wristwraps.
After that i loaded up to 10lbs below my PR for 3 solid singles. Then 5lbs below my PR for two solid singles.
NO problem at all without any gear. Actually, i felt better about the presses. 'Unhindered'.
So for now, on logpresses, gear is out.

HIGA MONSTER
11-17-10, 1:05 am
Hope you had a great celebration for these great results.
I sure hope Krystin also feels a lot better: 3rd place is nothing to be embarressed about!!

Promised to keep you updated on my 'gear - no gear' for logpress.
Yesterday i did a full session of logpresses with just chalk. No belt, no wristwraps. Went outstanding even tho i think i could have gotten a rep more in the last session if i had used wristwraps.
After that i loaded up to 10lbs below my PR for 3 solid singles. Then 5lbs below my PR for two solid singles.
NO problem at all without any gear. Actually, i felt better about the presses. 'Unhindered'.
So for now, on logpresses, gear is out.

Awesome! Keep it up bro!
HIGA MONSTER

Brick By Brick
11-17-10, 11:44 am
Zack Nims NAS Nats video. Witness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKmvfUQ4HcY

HIGA MONSTER
11-17-10, 1:02 pm
Zack Nims NAS Nats video. Witness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKmvfUQ4HcY

yup!
He showed it to us on his laptop this past Monday night at his celebratory Sushi Dinner.

He said that he didn't post it yet, so I'm glad its up now.

I was tripping out on how fast he picked up the 240 lb sandbag cause he never did it like that in training. He said he did that on the day of contest. Picked it up twice and felt it was faster.
And he DESTROYED that 390 lb stone! Weighing 227 lbs.

HIGA MONSTER

Brick By Brick
11-17-10, 1:17 pm
yup!
He showed it to us on his laptop this past Monday night at his celebratory Sushi Dinner.

He said that he didn't post it yet, so I'm glad its up now.

I was tripping out on how fast he picked up the 240 lb sandbag cause he never did it like that in training. He said he did that on the day of contest. Picked it up twice and felt it was faster.
And he DESTROYED that 390 lb stone! Weighing 227 lbs.

HIGA MONSTER

He is freakin incredible. It was inspirational to see it in person. I have rarely seen so many people cheering for one guy to KILL IT. It was a testament to all the best elements of strongman.

Shukin
11-20-10, 1:08 am
He was a fire cracker in there!!!!
He is going to make a great pro.
Respect,
Shukin

Ask him if he wants to be sponsored by a pizza place in Japan.....lol

Cyrus The Virus
11-20-10, 11:01 am
Congrats to Zack on his win. That is awesome that he was the only one to load all five stones.

boar
11-27-10, 9:36 am
this was a long time coming for Zack. He has been working for this so long. it shows his dedication to the sport. He is a class act and I am looking forward to meeting him one of these days.

HIGA MONSTER
11-27-10, 10:30 am
this was a long time coming for Zack. He has been working for this so long. it shows his dedication to the sport. He is a class act and I am looking forward to meeting him one of these days.

Thanks man. He's a good kid.

I hope he takes the "Arnold Amateur Strongman" invitation. The weights are heavy, and he is the only LW competitor but I am trying to encourage him to do it.

Here are the events if you haven't seen it:
Friday: Ironmind Axle Clean and press for reps (325# or 147 kilos) You must clean each rep 60 sec.

Bigg Dogg Strongg Yoke Walk for 80 (950# or 431 kilos)

Bigg Dogg Strongg Frame Carry/ Sled Drag Medley 60 each at 800# or 363 kilos

Bigg Dogg Strongg Side Handle Car Deadlift for reps (Toyota Camry)

Sunday (Top Ten Only): Bigg Dogg Strongg log Clean and press for reps (325# or 147 kilos) You must clean each rep 60 sec.

Bigg Dogg Strongg Hussefeldt Carry max distance (400# or 181 kilos)

Atlas Stone Run staggered heights 300#@ 60, 330# @ 60, 360# @ 54, 390# @ 54,420# @ 50

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

boar
11-27-10, 12:04 pm
Thanks man. He's a good kid.

I hope he takes the "Arnold Amateur Strongman" invitation. The weights are heavy, and he is the only LW competitor but I am trying to encourage him to do it.

Here are the events if you haven't seen it:
Friday: Ironmind Axle Clean and press for reps (325# or 147 kilos) You must clean each rep 60 sec.

Bigg Dogg Strongg Yoke Walk for 80 (950# or 431 kilos)

Bigg Dogg Strongg Frame Carry/ Sled Drag Medley 60 each at 800# or 363 kilos

Bigg Dogg Strongg Side Handle Car Deadlift for reps (Toyota Camry)

Sunday (Top Ten Only): Bigg Dogg Strongg log Clean and press for reps (325# or 147 kilos) You must clean each rep 60 sec.

Bigg Dogg Strongg Hussefeldt Carry max distance (400# or 181 kilos)

Atlas Stone Run staggered heights 300#@ 60, 330# @ 60, 360# @ 54, 390# @ 54,420# @ 50

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Yea my buddy Carlos was telling about the events. I think Zack will be up for the challenge. Most lw pros can handle hw show weights.

I also know Johnny Wasizco who makes the equipment for Bigg Dogg Strong. Really Solid implements. I used his dumbell, and log bar at the Hartford Europa.

Shukin
11-27-10, 6:47 pm
Wow! Those are some serious weights.
Keep us posted on his decision.

HIGA MONSTER
12-03-10, 7:16 pm
Well, I am taking a big gamble tomorrow.

There is a USAPL meet tomorrow in Fife, WA that was capped at 60 lifters.
They now have 79 lifters. I am not guaranteed a spot to lift, but I can take chance by hoping that somebody doesn't show up tomorrow at the Noon weigh-in.

If that happens, I will lift at 2pm PST.

Keep you posted. I just packed my bar with all my gear and a singlet hoping to lift Raw in the 275+ weight class and smash all the Washington state records.

Here is a link to the current records:
http://www.nwusapl.com/wa/records_mens_open.htm

Keep you posted! Ali McWeeney is doing the Bench Press & Deadlift. She is going to open with a 100 lb Deadlift on one leg! Then, she will put on her prosthesis.
Stan "The Rhino" Efferding will be there too.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
12-03-10, 7:31 pm
Good Luck Big Guy

SailinScotty
12-03-10, 7:41 pm
Good luck. Hope you get in and kill those records. Also best of luck to Ali.

Shukin
12-03-10, 8:32 pm
Keep you posted! Ali McWeeney is doing the Bench Press & Deadlift. She is going to open with a 100 lb Deadlift on one leg! Then, she will put on her prosthesis.

You must video that! I need a photo of that for my gym!
That women it the shit!

HIGA MONSTER
12-04-10, 1:10 pm
The USAPL promoter called me at 8:22am this morning and said, "Come on down to lift!"

Weigh ins are at Noon.
I should be lifting at 2pm.

Will update when I get back home tonight.
Looking to smash all 4 Raw records in the 275+ weight class.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

SailinScotty
12-04-10, 2:05 pm
The USAPL promoter called me at 8:22am this morning and said, "Come on down to lift!"

Weigh ins are at Noon.
I should be lifting at 2pm.

Will update when I get back home tonight.
Looking to smash all 4 Raw records in the 275+ weight class.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Awesome news! Go kill it and represent animal!

Shukin
12-04-10, 5:59 pm
Sweet!
Look forward to this.

HIGA MONSTER
12-05-10, 4:39 am
Its been 10 years since I have competed in a USAPL sanctioned meet. My last official contest with that organization was at the 2000 Nationals in Chicago.
Wow, what a weird feeling to step on the platform and see familiar faces.

I came into this contest last minute and had no idea what my Bench Press & Deadlift would be. However, the goal was to break all 4 state records in my class. The Bench Press would be a tough reach for me to break though...

I weighed in at 299.9 lbs
Only me and one other guy in the class. We both competed Raw. All I used was a wrestling singlet & belt. No wrist wraps or knee sleeves.

SQUATS:
The current state record was 522.5 lbs.

I broke it on my opening attempt, and smashed it even further with the 2nd and 3rd attempts. (265, 285 and 295 kilos)
265 kilos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUHasFTAOzg
285 kilos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaA2-aWlc-I
295 kilos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOE5q1o6dIQ

One thing that was bothering me was that it seemed really "spongy" on the lifting platform. Maybe it was the gymnasium floor underneath it? Who knows. It bothered me cause I am really anal about my set-up. I like to take 2 steps, then squat with no issues.

BENCH PRESS:
The current state record was 434.5 lbs.

Wasn't sure what this was going to be like. Strongmen don't Flat Bench. I just do overhead lifting and incline benching.
Last time I flat benched was back in January. So this kinda sucked for me because I decided to do this show at the last minute.

I opened with 407 lbs and it felt SLOW as shit halfway up.
Missed my 2nd and 3rd attempts of 417 lbs.

The other competitor broke the state record with a huge 468 lb bench press! Raw! Fuckin badass.

DEADLIFTS:
The current state record was 550 lbs.

I broke that on my 1st attempt, then smashed it even more on the 3rd attempt. (250, 265 and 275 kilos) Should have gone more on my last attempt..at least the 611 lbs because my 3rd attempt was the easiest one to me.

551 lbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhmnotWHOE
584 lbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K_uUaZnIE0
606 lbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iBFMFyfaFg

OVERALL:
So, I ended up winning the class. There was only 2 of us though but we broke all the state records.
I also won "Best Open division Male lifter" for the contest.
THEN, I found out that I had barely missed winning the "Best Male LIfter Overall" by a couple kilos. MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A 63 year old Master's lifter won it and I had no idea there was an "Overall" award. Thats how long its been since I have Powerlifted and totally forgot they do shit like that.
I was also pissed at myself because I had debated to go heavier on the last Deadlift. If I did, I would have gotten "Best Raw Deadlift" of the meet. 2.5 kilos away...mutherfucker.
THEN, there was no award for "Best Raw Squat". WTF? They gave awards for "Best Raw Bench & Deadlift" but no squat? I didn't understand that. My squats were the loudest applause in the gym all day everyone said.

Anyhow, it was fun to participate. I do NOT miss how long a Powerlifting meet takes compared to a Strongman contest. I also didn't drink any Shock Therapy because I was all paranoid if that would flunk my drug test after the meet, but I didn't end up getting randomly drug tested anyway.
However, the promoter did a great job and handed out some great awards for us.

Side note: All the guys in my flight are warming up for Squats. They work up to 315 lbs and I am doing Plyos. I jump onto the 36" box for 5 singles and all the guys were like, WTF? "Higa, how much do you weigh?"
Then, I did some light Snatches to get more warmed up and they were all confused that I was doing the wrong type of lifting. It was fuckin hilarious cause they thought I was nuts.

Finally, a video of inspiration by Ali McWeeney.
She wanted to do her first attempt in the Deadlift without her prosthetic leg. She also benched 165 lbs earlier in the day, but here is the video of her 100 lb Deadlift on one leg. Think of that next time we feel tired or don't want to workout ladies & gentlemen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_l4S0Cnyw

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
12-05-10, 6:19 am
Well done big guy, superb!
Love the head shake in the second squat video after you came up, like your saying "that's right, I'm a bad-ass".

And to hear your daughter in the last saying 'come on papa' awesome....

And for the one leg dead, what can I say? Respect!

way to go Grant.

congratulations,
Shukin

P.S. I couldn't wait to get home from work today to see how you did.

Thrawn
12-05-10, 9:31 am
OUTSTANDING, Grant! Excellent. You made those squats and deads look very easy! Great to see such good form in PL.
And Alison's deadlift is pure and simple: inspirational to the bone. I take a bow to that lift.

SailinScotty
12-05-10, 11:22 am
Nice work. Way to get after it with much prep leading up to it. Sucks about the DL but at least you still smashed the record.

That video Ali is amazing. It just shows if you put your mind to it you can accomplish it.

See ya on the 18th.

Mattman33
12-13-10, 12:46 pm
Hey Higa. I remember you posting a workout that had you doing a powerclean, a press, a squat, and something else. I thought you did one rep of each, then 2, etc. I could be wrong. I tried searching for it, but did not have any luck. I was wondering if you could help to refresh my memory.

Thanks

HIGA MONSTER
12-13-10, 12:48 pm
Hey Higa. I remember you posting a workout that had you doing a powerclean, a press, a squat, and something else. I thought you did one rep of each, then 2, etc. I could be wrong. I tried searching for it, but did not have any luck. I was wondering if you could help to refresh my memory.

Thanks

Javorek Complex bro,

Do a search, and you can make a complex in many different ways. The idea is to never let go of the bar when you do a set.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps non-stop is pretty common.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
12-13-10, 2:52 pm
Javorek Complex bro,

Do a search, and you can make a complex in many different ways. The idea is to never let go of the bar when you do a set.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps non-stop is pretty common.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

thanks. i just could not remember the name. i tried deadlifts, rows, sldl, and shrugs. it made a pretty tough workout that i found hard to complete.

thanks again.

HIGA MONSTER
12-13-10, 3:54 pm
thanks. i just could not remember the name. i tried deadlifts, rows, sldl, and shrugs. it made a pretty tough workout that i found hard to complete.

thanks again.

Here is one I did 3 months ago, but the 205 lbs was too much weight. I wanted to do a 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, then 1 reps complex with only 10 seconds rest in b/w.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmTwg6PdfwU

This one was with Zack Nims and we did 155 lbs for this Complex. It was the tail end of it, so you didn't see us do the 5,4,3,2 reps before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyLTRSbiU3g

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
12-18-10, 5:25 am
WOW. That Javorek complex looks like ballbusting work! I LIKE what i see.
I will see if i can make up one for myself. The trick will be to find the right weight for sure, cause that is HARD work.

Girevik 69
12-19-10, 1:29 pm
Whats up Animals?

My name is Grant Higa. I'm a pro ptrongman up here in the Seattle area. Just wanted to introduce myself to my fellow bros of iron, and let you know that I will be posting here in regards to strongman training, or any upcoming contests.

Even though I compete in strongman, I sometimes have to take a bodybuilding approach to my training. Especially, in the offseason. This helps with my muscular endurance. I believe that some of my strongman event training can be beneficial to all you Animals on the FORVM too. Let me tell you, flipping a 800 lb tire for a 100 feet, builds SICK work capacity.

Hope to chat with a few of you Animals soon.

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER.

Mr. Higa, what's it like, to lift the Cyr-esque Apex Giant Dumbell? I saw a picture of you putting that friggin' thing overhead in an old issue of Planet Muscle (June '06), and man, that bell looks like a real beast...

HIGA MONSTER
12-19-10, 1:41 pm
WOW. That Javorek complex looks like ballbusting work! I LIKE what i see.
I will see if i can make up one for myself. The trick will be to find the right weight for sure, cause that is HARD work.
No doubt, they are nice to throw in once in a while.
Especially when you are pinched for time but need to workout.

Mr. Higa, what's it like, to lift the Cyr-esque Apex Giant Dumbell? I saw a picture of you putting that friggin' thing overhead in an old issue of Planet Muscle (June '06), and man, that bell looks like a real beast...
Bro, thats an old school pic! I love it!
That dumbbell was filled with rice grains. It was HUGE.

Its a pretty cool event to do, you just have to get used to finding the balance of it on your shoulder. You can't hold the DB out wide. You want it like a "palms in" grip.

I actually have a great photo of me doing that from that contest. That was from the "Fit Expo" contest in SoCal that Odd Haugen put on. I bought the pic from the professional photographer that was there snapping pics.

HIGA MONSTER

Girevik 69
12-19-10, 6:18 pm
Bro, thats an old school pic! I love it!

Yeah, it's a great pic... it totally captures the primal ferocity of strength sports.

That dumbbell was filled with rice grains. It was HUGE.

Rice grains? I had no idea about that... wow, that's wild.

Its a pretty cool event to do, you just have to get used to finding the balance of it on your shoulder. You can't hold the DB out wide. You want it like a "palms in" grip.

I actually have a great photo of me doing that from that contest. That was from the "Fit Expo" contest in SoCal that Odd Haugen put on. I bought the pic from the professional photographer that was there snapping pics.

HIGA MONSTER

Gotcha. Thanks so much for your input, bro.

Peace,

G69

HIGA MONSTER
12-23-10, 10:52 am
Rice grains? I had no idea about that... wow, that's wild.

You can also use Steel Shot to make it heavier.

HIGA MONSTER

Girevik 69
12-23-10, 5:41 pm
You can also use Steel Shot to make it heavier.

HIGA MONSTER

Makes sense. Definitely reminds me of the Louis Cyr dumbell.

Seath308
12-23-10, 7:29 pm
Interview with Andy Deck Light weight Pro Strongman going to the Arnold classic. We need to get Zack to go and smash the competition!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwoO1yZNxH4&feature=feedlik

HIGA MONSTER
12-24-10, 1:20 am
Interview with Andy Deck Light weight Pro Strongman going to the Arnold classic. We need to get Zack to go and smash the competition!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwoO1yZNxH4&feature=feedlik

After last night's workout, he said he was going to go.
Gonna get together with all the other fellas and help fundraise some flight $$ for him.

HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
12-24-10, 4:42 am
I'll throw down $200 Just PM me and address and I'll send a check too it.

HIGA MONSTER
12-30-10, 11:49 am
Just got this emailed to me yesterday!

Way cool! Animal was in da HOUSE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryFZ4v3OFcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVaSARb8dSg&feature=related

I apologize for the Abs shot...my Animal Cuts hasn't come in yet to my house. LOL
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
12-30-10, 5:31 pm
EXCELLENT work there from everyone! Great atmosphere! I envy you guys so much. Around here, i am the only one in the gym busting ass. The rest is NO inspiration at all, just going through the motions without goals or determination.

I wonder how much i could improve if i had a clan like that around me to fire me up.

And a total LOL @ the ab shot =))

HIGA MONSTER
12-31-10, 10:43 am
EXCELLENT work there from everyone! Great atmosphere! I envy you guys so much. Around here, i am the only one in the gym busting ass. The rest is NO inspiration at all, just going through the motions without goals or determination.

I wonder how much i could improve if i had a clan like that around me to fire me up.

And a total LOL @ the ab shot =))

Keep your nose on the grinding wheel my friend...thats what you makes you stronger.
That is the difference between ANIMALS and mere men. You are not a mere man.

Happy New Year!
HIGA

Thrawn
12-31-10, 10:57 am
Keep your nose on the grinding wheel my friend...thats what you makes you stronger.
That is the difference between ANIMALS and mere men. You are not a mere man.

Happy New Year!
HIGA

Sure thing! I keep at it as best and hard as i can. But i would love some challenges and other ppl around to spur you on. That would make for some good times instead of me just being alone in the gym. But dont worry, i aint backing down one inch.

HIGA MONSTER
01-03-11, 2:27 am

These records were updated after my competition at the USAPL "Fife Holiday Classic" last month.

A big thanks for everyone here on this FORVM and to the products from Animal Pak and Universal Nutrition that help make me stronger. I'm proud to be a rep for this nutritional company.

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

ghost
01-03-11, 6:11 am
HUGE congrats Grant, keep up the solid work brother.!

Psycho77
01-03-11, 11:43 am

These records were updated after my competition at the USAPL "Fife Holiday Classic" last month.

A big thanks for everyone here on this FORVM and to the products from Animal Pak and Universal Nutrition that help make me stronger. I'm proud to be a rep for this nutritional company.

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Congrats Big Grant. Well Deserved!

HIGA MONSTER
01-03-11, 12:34 pm
HUGE congrats Grant, keep up the solid work brother.!

Congrats Big Grant. Well Deserved!

Thanks guys. Next USAPL meet I will do, I wanna deadlift close to 650 lbs. Goal for 2011...booya!
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
01-03-11, 12:41 pm
Congratulations, Grant!!!

HIGA MONSTER
01-04-11, 11:57 pm
Just signed up and paid my entry fee for the "WARRIOR DASH" on July 16th.
Its coming to Washington for one day only.

http://www.warriordash.com/register2011_washington.php

Team ANIMAL PAK is gonna be in force again...and I'm fuckin nuts for doing this shit again.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
01-05-11, 5:16 pm
NICE, big man! Cant wait to see what kind of damage you will do in that event!

Got another vid for you, this was supposed to be a silly one. I was going to show you what we 'Nordic living people' have to do to stay warm compared to you living in balmy Hawaii =) But after the press the machine toppled over and put a nice dent in the wall. I had to chuckle, but the woman owning the gym was not too pleased =)

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/?action=view&current=300kgpushpresscalfraisemachine.mp4

Which brings me to the following request, IF possible.
With my logpress i appear to run into a technical problem. I have no real problem getting around 150lbs up on top of my chest. But if i add another 10lbs, it feels a LOT more and it also feels very heavy on the chest. I sometimes struggle to get it on top and feel unstable during it. This takes some oomph out of me, making me fail on the press.
Is it possible you could enlighten me with a good vid you have of you logpressing? Or is it easier for you to see me do my thing and you can see if you can spot the problem? I suspect that i am keeping the weight too much forward, not standing under it enough. Letting it dominate me instead of visa versa. But i am still pretty green in the logpress, so this is just a suspicion based on my gut, nothing more.

HIGA MONSTER
01-05-11, 8:19 pm
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/?action=view&current=300kgpushpresscalfraisemachine.mp4

Which brings me to the following request, IF possible.
With my logpress i appear to run into a technical problem. I have no real problem getting around 150lbs up on top of my chest. But if i add another 10lbs, it feels a LOT more and it also feels very heavy on the chest. I sometimes struggle to get it on top and feel unstable during it. This takes some oomph out of me, making me fail on the press.
Is it possible you could enlighten me with a good vid you have of you logpressing? Or is it easier for you to see me do my thing and you can see if you can spot the problem? I suspect that i am keeping the weight too much forward, not standing under it enough. Letting it dominate me instead of visa versa. But i am still pretty green in the logpress, so this is just a suspicion based on my gut, nothing more.

Hilarious video!

Sure, I can film a Log Press video for you. Do you have one of you doing Log?
The only one I can seem to remember is when you did Log as part of an awful Medley outside with a Truck Pull and Farmers Walk...

HIGA MONSTER

Girevik 69
01-05-11, 9:35 pm

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Congrats, Grant!

HIGA MONSTER
01-06-11, 12:27 am
Congrats, Grant!

Thanks alot man. Looking forward to increasing those records next time I do a Powerlifting meet.
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
01-06-11, 6:39 am
I only have a few small ones. I will make two new vids sunday when i go do them again. One with weight i think i handle well, and one with bigger weight i know i struggle with.
A small logpress vid would be MUCH appreciated, Grant. Thats great if you could find the time for doing that.

HIGA MONSTER
01-09-11, 4:08 pm
A small logpress vid would be MUCH appreciated, Grant. Thats great if you could find the time for doing that.
Here you go Thrawn...just filmed this video this morning with Zack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlwv1zEbocs

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
01-11-11, 2:31 pm
Freakin' awesome, brothers!
I just read and saw it in your other thread already. MUCH appreciated and i have already identified 3 area's where i can put in work to improve.

I owe you and Zack one!

HIGA MONSTER
01-12-11, 12:25 am
Freakin' awesome, brothers!
I just read and saw it in your other thread already. MUCH appreciated and i have already identified 3 area's where i can put in work to improve.

I owe you and Zack one!
You don't owe me anything. I hope that this video will improve your Log Lift. Keep me posted.
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-19-11, 9:39 pm
Wassup?

If any of you SoCal guys are going to the LA Fitness Expo, I will be there competing on Sat & Sunday Jan 29-30th.

Here is some info with the competitors, and the HEAVY FUCKIN events we are doing:
http://www.thefitexpo.com/strongman.asp

Coupon!
IronMind Enterprises has generously given a $5 off admission to the Expo if you print off the coupon on this link:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2011/Jan/Los_Angeles_FitExpo-Records_Likely_to_Fall.html

Thanks!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-24-11, 2:52 am
I had an honor of meeting this man & his wife when I first moved to Washington in 1998.

The Washington Lottery came out with a scratch it ticket called "Lucky for Life" and Jack LaLanne was the spokesperson for all the TV commercials they had & advertisements with it.
I was able to do a promo with the Washington Lottery that involved me, Andrew "Bull" Stewart and Turk Fickling (1998 Emerald Cup overall winner) where we had to hold this huge birthday cake that Jack LaLanne was supposed to jump out of. All of this happened at Westlake Center in the middle of downtown Seattle.

Before the actual event, me and Bull sat in the limo with Mr LaLanne and talked about fitness and life. He was so frickin energetic and unreal.
Jack also gave me and Bull some autographed pictures and shook our hands like he was 20 years old.

When he popped out of the cake, he proceeded to run an improv Aerobics class in the middle of downtown Seattle. He had all these people huffing and puffing! Telling them to stay in shape cause if they were to win this new scratch it, they would be "Lucky for Life" cause they were staying healthy.

Hats off to one of the true pioneers of Fitness, and I am fortunate to have met him personally and share this experience I typed above with him.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
01-24-11, 4:31 am
I had an honor of meeting this man & his wife when I first moved to Washington in 1998.

The Washington Lottery came out with a scratch it ticket called "Lucky for Life" and Jack LaLanne was the spokesperson for all the TV commercials they had & advertisements with it.
I was able to do a promo with the Washington Lottery that involved me, Andrew "Bull" Stewart and Turk Fickling (1998 Emerald Cup overall winner) where we had to hold this huge birthday cake that Jack LaLanne was supposed to jump out of. All of this happened at Westlake Center in the middle of downtown Seattle.

Before the actual event, me and Bull sat in the limo with Mr LaLanne and talked about fitness and life. He was so frickin energetic and unreal.
Jack also gave me and Bull some autographed pictures and shook our hands like he was 20 years old.

When he popped out of the cake, he proceeded to run an improv Aerobics class in the middle of downtown Seattle. He had all these people huffing and puffing! Telling them to stay in shape cause if they were to win this new scratch it, they would be "Lucky for Life" cause they were staying healthy.

Hats off to one of the true pioneers of Fitness, and I am fortunate to have met him personally and share this experience I typed above with him.

HIGA MONSTER

Wow.......
Lost another one..

HIGA MONSTER
01-28-11, 2:42 pm
Hope you have a great Powerlifting meet tomorrow.

J-Dawg, NG, Aggression, Big D, Tommy Kemble, Skibas. Am I missing anyone else??
I wish you 3 white lights on all your attempts!

HIGA MONSTER

Thrawn
01-30-11, 10:27 am
Even tho i did not have the most energetic session, the tips you and Zack gave are already paying off. I keep my list of noted and pointers close when i do them, reminding me what to do and HOW to do it.
I FINALLY busted that PR on logpress. It is a small increase, but i dont care. Progress is progress.

Here's how it went:

-----------------------
Strange session, but i am not unhappy. Started off very slow and lazy, ended with a PR.
Felt the weariness of the week work and workouts, but i gotta do my work. I'd rather do a little then nothing.

Overhead logpress, usual work and working on the Higa and Zack methods.
Warmups: regular milpress, as explosive and agressive as i could. Up to 65lbs.

89lbs x 8 (Higa and Zack styles alternated each rep)
110lbs x 6 two regular reps, 2 Higa versions, 2 Zack versions
From here on i decided to stay with the 'Higa-style' to get the log on the chest as that appears to work for me the best
122lbs x 4
135lbs x 3 hmmm, not a lot of energy. busted rep number 2 straight into my chain while working it up. meh.
144lbs x 2 slow, but still keeping it going
155lbs x 1 wow, tough. getting angry here. lets use that.
167lbs x epic fail. alright. lets stay calm.
read my list of notes again.
167lbs x 1 and there it is. PR. Not my prettiest of reps, but fuck that. i nailed it.

back to empty log
Higa style two reps, Zackstyle two reps, repeat
135lbs
Higa style one rep, Zack style one rep.

And done. To give myself more time to recover, i kept it at that. Good work, even tho i was kinda slow and lazy to start off. I finally busted that PR with great thanks to Higa and Zack.
So far, the Higastyle suits me best. I like the Zack style a lot, but i fail at the transition from squatted position to roll up the chest. I misstime that making me hold that log way in front of me.
No matter, for the next couple of weeks, i will keep working on both styles.
-------------------------------------

HIGA MONSTER
02-01-11, 11:17 am
Even tho i did not have the most energetic session, the tips you and Zack gave are already paying off. I keep my list of noted and pointers close when i do them, reminding me what to do and HOW to do it.
I FINALLY busted that PR on logpress. It is a small increase, but i dont care. Progress is progress.

Here's how it went:

-----------------------
Strange session, but i am not unhappy. Started off very slow and lazy, ended with a PR.
Felt the weariness of the week work and workouts, but i gotta do my work. I'd rather do a little then nothing.

Overhead logpress, usual work and working on the Higa and Zack methods.
Warmups: regular milpress, as explosive and agressive as i could. Up to 65lbs.

89lbs x 8 (Higa and Zack styles alternated each rep)
110lbs x 6 two regular reps, 2 Higa versions, 2 Zack versions
From here on i decided to stay with the 'Higa-style' to get the log on the chest as that appears to work for me the best
122lbs x 4
135lbs x 3 hmmm, not a lot of energy. busted rep number 2 straight into my chain while working it up. meh.
144lbs x 2 slow, but still keeping it going
155lbs x 1 wow, tough. getting angry here. lets use that.
167lbs x epic fail. alright. lets stay calm.
read my list of notes again.
167lbs x 1 and there it is. PR. Not my prettiest of reps, but fuck that. i nailed it.

back to empty log
Higa style two reps, Zackstyle two reps, repeat
135lbs
Higa style one rep, Zack style one rep.

And done. To give myself more time to recover, i kept it at that. Good work, even tho i was kinda slow and lazy to start off. I finally busted that PR with great thanks to Higa and Zack.
So far, the Higastyle suits me best. I like the Zack style a lot, but i fail at the transition from squatted position to roll up the chest. I misstime that making me hold that log way in front of me.
No matter, for the next couple of weeks, i will keep working on both styles.
-------------------------------------
Congratulations Bert!

I would suggest to just do it in the way that suits you. So if my style feels better, stick with it.
I don't want you to get out of sync with doing 2 different styles because everyone is different.

HIGA

Thrawn
02-02-11, 11:29 am
Congratulations Bert!

I would suggest to just do it in the way that suits you. So if my style feels better, stick with it.
I don't want you to get out of sync with doing 2 different styles because everyone is different.

HIGA

Thanks, Grant!
Normally i would totally agree with you. But i am a slow learner sometimes and i feel i can still improve my form on the Zackstyle. i have a feeling i need more practise with it. Not sure if it will be my favorite in the end, but in a week or two, i will know and decide.

HIGA MONSTER
02-12-11, 9:28 pm
It was a somber day for me and my training partners today. We had to move out of Chipman Relocations due to a corporate decision that they wanted to downsize their operations, and sadly my strongman equipment was part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwcT7NFX3A

If it wasn't for Marv Michaud, I wouldn't be the strongman Pro I am today. This man would be at the office at 6am to open up the Warehouse for us because we had an upcoming strongman contest. How cool is that?
He would set up a semi-truck pull because I had to do that in a contest soon, so he hung around for an extra 2 hours to rig that up for me.

All he would ask for was that we did well in our competitions. So we would bring him some Bud Light every once in a while, or a contest t-shirt.
When I got sponsored by Animal Pak, he loved when I gave him a "Shut the fuck up and train" shirt!

Many people have trained with us: Jesse Marunde (R.I.P.), Corey St Clair (Pro strongman), Sarge & Breck from the Sequim Crew, Adam Keep (LW Pro strongman), Marshall White (Pro strongman), Peter Rundberg (Sweden), Stan "The Rhino" Efferding, EXCESSIVE, seath242, BIG BEN, Mr Dead and numerous others.

Zack Nims won the Teen HW Amateur National Championship, then his LW Pro card last year.
Kristyn Vytlacil won the Women's Lightweight & Middleweight Amateur National Championship.
Rocco Liogghio won the Master's Amateur Strongman National Championship.

All of these people came from the Warehouse. If you asked anyone who HIGA trains with, they say "oh, he's at that Warehouse, right?"
We were there when it was awful hot in the summers that the concrete would "sweat" while doing tire flips or sled drags and it would suck to do those events.
We were there in the middle of winter when it was cold as a mutha and it took you 40 minutes to just break a sweat. The cold metal would sap all the heat from your hands as you tried to warm up with Farmers Walks.

My training partners would drive from near or far to train, and thats what I love about my fellow HIGA MONSTERS. We bled and sweat together. No matter what the environment tried to throw against us.

Alot of people have showed up once to workout, then said they would be back. Yea right...not too many returned. Talk is cheap, but my crew would show up to train no matter how far. I love that. They make me a better Strongman.

Our last view of the inside of "The Warehouse":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMosxp26Os

Thank you Marv for all you have done for me and my crew. We love you and will miss seeing you on early Sat mornings.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

mcbeast
02-12-11, 10:59 pm
Ah, the good old days..Is Imperial Fitness any closer?! -crosses fingers- LOL Always a good time at the warehouse, and training with HIGAS CREW..However, Im sure you all will bring the same motivation to your new place.

HIGA MONSTER
02-12-11, 11:36 pm
Ah, the good old days..Is Imperial Fitness any closer?! -crosses fingers- LOL Always a good time at the warehouse, and training with HIGAS CREW..However, Im sure you all will bring the same motivation to your new place.
Its less than 6 miles away, near Kent Station.

We are going to kick off our arrival there with an ABC on Feb 26th. You will have to drop by when you are in town.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
02-13-11, 6:02 am
Sorry to hear that....

wedge
02-21-11, 8:44 pm
Sorry to hear that you have to move out of the warehouse. I'm hoping you have somewhere else lined up in the near future.

Quick question for ya big man. I am participating in my first nationally recognized strongman competition in May. I am competing in the under 200 lb division and currently weigh in at 198. I'm looking to lose a few more pounds between now and then so I can come in as close to 200 lbs (with clothes on during weigh ins) as possible. I also don't want to diet down too much and lose strength. Any tips or advice?

HIGA MONSTER
02-22-11, 12:22 am
Sorry to hear that you have to move out of the warehouse. I'm hoping you have somewhere else lined up in the near future.

Quick question for ya big man. I am participating in my first nationally recognized strongman competition in May. I am competing in the under 200 lb division and currently weigh in at 198. I'm looking to lose a few more pounds between now and then so I can come in as close to 200 lbs (with clothes on during weigh ins) as possible. I also don't want to diet down too much and lose strength. Any tips or advice?
Yo! Sorry, I just saw this post. I apologize bro!

Are you 198 lbs with clothes on? If so, I would just stay there man because the cut off for 200 lb weight class is 200.5 lbs.
It would be better you to be as close as you can to the 200 lbs, so 198 lbs is ideal but I don't know if thats with clothes on.

Which show are you doing?
HIGA MONSTER

wedge
02-22-11, 12:44 pm
Yo! Sorry, I just saw this post. I apologize bro!

Are you 198 lbs with clothes on? If so, I would just stay there man because the cut off for 200 lb weight class is 200.5 lbs.
It would be better you to be as close as you can to the 200 lbs, so 198 lbs is ideal but I don't know if thats with clothes on.

Which show are you doing?
HIGA MONSTER

No worries Higa. The comp isn't until May. Proven Performance Strongman I. Northbrough MA May 15. Events include log clean and press (180), Deads (400) for reps, Farmers (220)/Keg (150) medley, tire (500) and stones (240) for reps. Lighter weights sure, but good starting point for myself.
I weigh 198 in the nude. Weigh myself before jumping in the shower in the morning. Hence wanting to lose a few pounds prior to May.

HIGA MONSTER
02-23-11, 12:29 am
No worries Higa. The comp isn't until May. Proven Performance Strongman I. Northbrough MA May 15. Events include log clean and press (180), Deads (400) for reps, Farmers (220)/Keg (150) medley, tire (500) and stones (240) for reps. Lighter weights sure, but good starting point for myself.
I weigh 198 in the nude. Weigh myself before jumping in the shower in the morning. Hence wanting to lose a few pounds prior to May.
I personally don't think you should lose any more weight if you are in the 200 lbs class. Thats to your advantage to be close to the top limit.

If you cut 5 lbs, I think that will hurt your performance in the contest. Don't know how lean you are, but that would be a concern for me.

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
02-25-11, 1:44 pm
I personally don't think you should lose any more weight if you are in the 200 lbs class. Thats to your advantage to be close to the top limit.

If you cut 5 lbs, I think that will hurt your performance in the contest. Don't know how lean you are, but that would be a concern for me.

HIGA MONSTER

Thanks brother. I'm just a little paranoid at coming in over 200 at weigh-ins, wearing a shirt and shorts. I came in at just over 200 lbs in a local, for fun only strongman contest at my local YMCA (the gym where my crew trains out of) and it was a bitch.
Instead of being the heaviest under 200, I was the lightest over 200.

HIGA MONSTER
02-25-11, 6:19 pm
Thanks brother. I'm just a little paranoid at coming in over 200 at weigh-ins, wearing a shirt and shorts. I came in at just over 200 lbs in a local, for fun only strongman contest at my local YMCA (the gym where my crew trains out of) and it was a bitch.
Instead of being the heaviest under 200, I was the lightest over 200.
How far over 200 lbs were you for that contest?

I just think that if you come in about 197 lbs the week of the contest, you should be fine. You have to be the judge of how your body is as you cut, so keep me posted.

HIGA MONSTER

RedlegDbell
02-25-11, 8:41 pm
Sorry to be lazy Higa, but I didn't want to run through 33 pages to see that you had probably answered this repeatedly. What is the best way to go about improving my grip and how frequently should I train my grip? My training is bodybuilder oriented but I want to improve grip strength for deadlifts. At present, my raw max is 355 and I can pull 415 with staps. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. See you at the Cage next Friday Higa.

Steve

HIGA MONSTER
02-26-11, 12:52 am
Sorry to be lazy Higa, but I didn't want to run through 33 pages to see that you had probably answered this repeatedly. What is the best way to go about improving my grip and how frequently should I train my grip? My training is bodybuilder oriented but I want to improve grip strength for deadlifts. At present, my raw max is 355 and I can pull 415 with staps. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. See you at the Cage next Friday Higa.

Steve
Not at all bro.

First of all, ditch all straps and hold onto the bars, DB's with your hands as much as possible. Unless you really need to use straps, try not to use them if you can.
Try to double overhand grip all your Deadlifts as best you can. When you have to switch to an over/under grip, thats fine. Try to work up to as much as you can double overhand.

Grip Strength comes in 3 different forms:
1. Supporting. Where you have to hold onto heavy deadlifts, DB's or other things. (strongman, powerlifters)
2. Pinch. Where you have to do plate holds, rafter chin ups, pull yourself over walls while doing obstacle courses or chasing criminals, or tear away flesh. (martial artists, law enforcement)
3. Crushing. When you give someone a real hardy handshake. (armwrestlers, rock climbers, strongman)

Adding these types of grip training will help. I think more than 3 times per week can fatigue it though, but thats IMO.

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
02-28-11, 3:54 pm
How far over 200 lbs were you for that contest?

I just think that if you come in about 197 lbs the week of the contest, you should be fine. You have to be the judge of how your body is as you cut, so keep me posted.

HIGA MONSTER

About 10-15 lbs. In my defense, it was shortly after coming back from my honeymoon and we took a cruise. They have food out 24/7!
Live and learn.

scals
03-07-11, 11:48 am
Great seeing ya and hanging with ya all weekend bro. Lookig forward to the next time.

DanTheMan
03-07-11, 12:52 pm
great to finally meet ya and shoot the shit with ya higa!

HIGA MONSTER
03-09-11, 1:03 am
Great seeing ya and hanging with ya all weekend bro. Lookig forward to the next time.
Yea brah! Hope you got the digits of the girl working the booth across of us. LOL

great to finally meet ya and shoot the shit with ya higa!
For sure man, it was great to meet you too!

HIGA MONSTER

Strachan
03-12-11, 11:21 pm
Higa,

Thanks for checking up on me a few days after Nats 2010, I posted a reply in that thread. In my shame I haven't logged on since before the contest so I just now saw it.This is going to be a better year.

-----

On another note... Some of the guys in my crew were talking about heading up to WA if there's a Strongest Apple this year, would you know if / when there may be?

-Strachan

HIGA MONSTER
03-13-11, 12:42 pm
Higa,

Thanks for checking up on me a few days after Nats 2010, I posted a reply in that thread. In my shame I haven't logged on since before the contest so I just now saw it.This is going to be a better year.

-----

On another note... Some of the guys in my crew were talking about heading up to WA if there's a Strongest Apple this year, would you know if / when there may be?

-Strachan
Its going to be on June 4th.

Seath242 is also planning to compete in it. I hope you guys can make it bro! I have to fill out the sanction form today, but have already paid the sanction fee with NAS.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

wedge
03-14-11, 8:15 pm
Higa,

What gym specific exercises would you recommend for a strongman? I have recently put added emphasis on incline bench, squats (front/hack/back) and power cleans (when my back is up for it). I'm also doing seated military presses. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

HIGA MONSTER
03-14-11, 11:43 pm
Higa,

What gym specific exercises would you recommend for a strongman? I have recently put added emphasis on incline bench, squats (front/hack/back) and power cleans (when my back is up for it). I'm also doing seated military presses. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Trap bar deadlifts (for Car Deadlifts)
Close grip bench press (to help your tricep strength)
Snatches (for Tire Flips)
Overhead DB or machine presses w/palms in (for Log Press)

Hope this helps!
HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
03-14-11, 11:46 pm
Hello Grant ,

First off I would like to say I have the utmost respect for you and your beauty! Second what events are you planning to have for the Strongest Apple?

Much love
Ben Seath

HIGA MONSTER
03-15-11, 1:07 am
Hello Grant ,

First off I would like to say I have the utmost respect for you and your beauty! Second what events are you planning to have for the Strongest Apple?

Much love
Ben Seath
Probably same as last year...

YOKE WALK
TIRE FLIP
KEG LOAD
FARMERS WALK
PRESS (of some type)

Love you,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
03-15-11, 3:09 am
Hello Grant ,

Much love
Ben Seath

You are a gas Seath.

Strachan
03-15-11, 12:27 pm
Its going to be on June 4th.

Damn, I was afraid it may be that date. That's a week before Barrel's 50th, which is going to be a HEAVY show.

I'll have to see where I'm at, if anyone else in my crew in down and how the cards fall.

Thanks for the quick reply.

HIGA MONSTER
03-16-11, 12:50 am
Damn, I was afraid it may be that date. That's a week before Barrel's 50th, which is going to be a HEAVY show.

I'll have to see where I'm at, if anyone else in my crew in down and how the cards fall.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Ah, bummers.

Well, keep it in mind. Its a Platinum level sanctioned show. Would love to see if you and your crew could come up. Just let me know,

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
03-16-11, 9:49 am
Trap bar deadlifts (for Car Deadlifts)
Close grip bench press (to help your tricep strength)
Snatches (for Tire Flips)
Overhead DB or machine presses w/palms in (for Log Press)

Hope this helps!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks for the help Higa. Looks like I have some more exercise staples.

Brick By Brick
03-16-11, 11:11 am
Probably same as last year...

YOKE WALK
TIRE FLIP
KEG LOAD
FARMERS WALK
PRESS (of some type)

Love you,
HIGA MONSTER

I am planning on being there. Still looking for work so I have more ammo to propose idea to my husband.

Stone_Ghost
03-17-11, 9:33 pm
Need some advice. Long and short of it is, I HAD a 455 1RM , was so pumped to tear that off the floor and at the same time scare/inspire some folks at the gym. Got deployed to Kandahar, was doin great with all my lifts 'til one day i was just doing 225 for reps, next thing i know my lower back is shot, so i strayed away from deads for a long long long time. I was wondering whats a proper way to get my deadlift back. I heard doing a heavy week/light week was one way to go, but i thought asking Higa was the way to go and get the proper advice.

HIGA MONSTER
03-19-11, 1:18 am
Need some advice. Long and short of it is, I HAD a 455 1RM , was so pumped to tear that off the floor and at the same time scare/inspire some folks at the gym. Got deployed to Kandahar, was doin great with all my lifts 'til one day i was just doing 225 for reps, next thing i know my lower back is shot, so i strayed away from deads for a long long long time. I was wondering whats a proper way to get my deadlift back. I heard doing a heavy week/light week was one way to go, but i thought asking Higa was the way to go and get the proper advice.
I think you need to get your base conditioning back up to par first, then we can worry about heavy singles.

How is your CORE strength too/ Maybe that is lacking as well? Try to focus on keeping your CORE strong too and built your own weight belt by using your abs as much as possible while lifting.

My hats off to you for trying to do this and be deployed in Kandahar, and I hope you stay safe!
HIGA MONSTER

Stone_Ghost
03-19-11, 10:11 am
I should have worded that different. It was on my previous tour, Im back and safe now bro.

But i do appreciate the advice. I have been trying various things to get my core to where it should be. Abs about 3 days a week with lower back work on back day and then again about 3 days later, right path or a little too much? Also some days it's a bit of a toss up. Being in the military gettin up to go for a run some days with the troop kinda wrecks me for the evening lifts. However i will go a little harder on the core for now and see if it will illicit some better results, it aint gonna happen overnight , but it will happen.

HIGA MONSTER
03-19-11, 2:13 pm
I should have worded that different. It was on my previous tour, Im back and safe now bro.

But i do appreciate the advice. I have been trying various things to get my core to where it should be. Abs about 3 days a week with lower back work on back day and then again about 3 days later, right path or a little too much? Also some days it's a bit of a toss up. Being in the military gettin up to go for a run some days with the troop kinda wrecks me for the evening lifts. However i will go a little harder on the core for now and see if it will illicit some better results, it aint gonna happen overnight , but it will happen.
Ok, then maybe do Deadlifts once a week but focus on doing some high reps with light weight. Form is key. I would work up to 3 sets of 12 reps. Even if its 185 lbs.

Then add some Hypers or Glute Ham Raises into the routine. I can do 4 sets of 25 reps and I really believe that it helps with my Muscular Endurance without using weights. Just your own body & gravity.

Planks. Try to see if you can do 30 seconds on the floor and tell me if thats easy or hard. If its hard, then its something you need to work on. I would love to see you get up to 1 minute on these for multiple sets.

Try to also hold your navel "up and in" towards your spine as you do your runs. You guys in the military do so much running that your back can take a beating. Especially if you have a pack on. This will help get those CORE muscles working to support your spine.

You are in Ontario? I will be in Toronto on June 18th for the Toronto SuperShow. Don't know how far that is for you.

HIGA MONSTER

Stone_Ghost
03-19-11, 5:17 pm
Yeah as it stands I am only doing deads once a week, I dont wanna go any more than that yet, trying to come back up slow but sure without injury. I usually try and get some hypers in at the end, have a great little machine in my gym from hypers, stack up to i believe is 200lb.

The Planks, yeah i can usually get 30+ seconds for a few sets, you think going longer would have more of a benefit?

So youre comin to Ontario in june eh? Yeah Toronto isn't that far from kingston, couple of hours, well worth the drive if im going to the show. So yeah, unless im rockin out in the desert again you can count me in, try and grab up a few of my buddies too, I am fairly certain they would lose their minds if they met ya.

Thanks for the help so far, youre the man.

HIGA MONSTER
03-19-11, 9:12 pm
Yeah as it stands I am only doing deads once a week, I dont wanna go any more than that yet, trying to come back up slow but sure without injury. I usually try and get some hypers in at the end, have a great little machine in my gym from hypers, stack up to i believe is 200lb.

The Planks, yeah i can usually get 30+ seconds for a few sets, you think going longer would have more of a benefit?

So youre comin to Ontario in june eh? Yeah Toronto isn't that far from kingston, couple of hours, well worth the drive if im going to the show. So yeah, unless im rockin out in the desert again you can count me in, try and grab up a few of my buddies too, I am fairly certain they would lose their minds if they met ya.

Thanks for the help so far, youre the man.
Yes, you need to get thos Planks up to 1 minute. This will really help.

Here is the link for the Toronto SuperShow. I am competing in the Strongman contest on June 18th.
Rumour is that Wrath and Vinny G are supposed to be competing in that IFBB show too...

http://www.torontoprosupershow.com/home

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Stone_Ghost
03-19-11, 11:43 pm
Yeah dude at this current point in time I gotta say I am in for this. Also if Wrath is gonna be there would love to meet em, since he is from the same province i am.

HIGA MONSTER
03-20-11, 10:30 am
Yeah dude at this current point in time I gotta say I am in for this. Also if Wrath is gonna be there would love to meet em, since he is from the same province i am.
Cool man. Keep you posted.

HIGA MONSTER

Back To Basics
03-24-11, 7:43 am
Hey Higa, been following your vids lately and all I have to say is that all the stuff you do looks cool as hell and the intensity is sick. I'm a college student (dw I'm not some chest and arms guido) and I'm studying fitness so one of my assignments it's to design a circuit training course and the first things that came to mind were stuff that I've seen strongmen do, tire flips and ropes lifting the rocks and a lot of the muscular endurance activity's you guys do. So I'm wondering if you could help me out a little and give me some ideas maybe since I'm not very familiar with strongman training as I'm into bodybuilding.

Right now I've got tractor tire flips, rope pulls, those rope twists I don't know what their really called, kettle bells, just standing military press and carrying regular tires. I would use prowlers but I don't have access to them..

Thanks and would greatly appreciate the help, Peace.

HIGA MONSTER
03-25-11, 12:06 am
Hey Higa, been following your vids lately and all I have to say is that all the stuff you do looks cool as hell and the intensity is sick. I'm a college student (dw I'm not some chest and arms guido) and I'm studying fitness so one of my assignments it's to design a circuit training course and the first things that came to mind were stuff that I've seen strongmen do, tire flips and ropes lifting the rocks and a lot of the muscular endurance activity's you guys do. So I'm wondering if you could help me out a little and give me some ideas maybe since I'm not very familiar with strongman training as I'm into bodybuilding.

Right now I've got tractor tire flips, rope pulls, those rope twists I don't know what their really called, kettle bells, just standing military press and carrying regular tires. I would use prowlers but I don't have access to them..

Thanks and would greatly appreciate the help, Peace.
Yea man, no worries.

TIRE FLIPS: If you can have a person do 8-10 flips, thats a good distance. Or, flip a tire 5 times then rest 30 secs and repeat.

KETTLEBELLS: Swings for 25 reps are good to do (2 hands or 1 hand at a time)

ROPES: You can do Arm over Arm pulls. We will even do that with our 400 lb tire and the frickin SUCKS brah and will blow up your forearms.
Even pulling a small sled or heavy Kettlebell on the grass is a bitch. My friend at Oregon State University is a Assistant Strength Coach and he makes the wrestlers pull a 45 lb plate across a grass field with a fire hose. They hate it.
Rope Climbs like what they do in CrossFit are another option.

BATTLE ROPES: I have no personal experience using them, but maybe someone can teach you how to do them properly? I heard they are no joke though.
Naturalguy used them at "Skiba's Gym" last year at a Jersey ABC.

ALTERNATIVE TO PROWLER PUSH: Take a 2' x 4' and carpet the whole thing. You only need a foot long section. Place it on the ground and push it like a Prowler for the length of a basketball court. Try that for a couple of sprints...it sucks.
Or, you can take a car in an empty car lot and push it around as far as you can till your quads give out. You just need a good buddy to help steer your car around or maybe push on the brakes a little to give you more resistance.

Hope this helps!
HIGA MONSTER

Carrnage
03-25-11, 12:26 am
Love the work in here!!

Back To Basics
03-25-11, 12:32 am
Yea man, no worries.

TIRE FLIPS: If you can have a person do 8-10 flips, thats a good distance. Or, flip a tire 5 times then rest 30 secs and repeat.

KETTLEBELLS: Swings for 25 reps are good to do (2 hands or 1 hand at a time)

ROPES: You can do Arm over Arm pulls. We will even do that with our 400 lb tire and the frickin SUCKS brah and will blow up your forearms.
Even pulling a small sled or heavy Kettlebell on the grass is a bitch. My friend at Oregon State University is a Assistant Strength Coach and he makes the wrestlers pull a 45 lb plate across a grass field with a fire hose. They hate it.
Rope Climbs like what they do in CrossFit are another option.

BATTLE ROPES: I have no personal experience using them, but maybe someone can teach you how to do them properly? I heard they are no joke though.
Naturalguy used them at "Skiba's Gym" last year at a Jersey ABC.

ALTERNATIVE TO PROWLER PUSH: Take a 2' x 4' and carpet the whole thing. You only need a foot long section. Place it on the ground and push it like a Prowler for the length of a basketball court. Try that for a couple of sprints...it sucks.
Or, you can take a car in an empty car lot and push it around as far as you can till your quads give out. You just need a good buddy to help steer your car around or maybe push on the brakes a little to give you more resistance.

Hope this helps!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks man, that really does help a lot. I appreciate the help and the ideas, I'm going to see what I can do with the alternative prowler it seems like a really good idea. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again bro. Peace

HIGA MONSTER
03-27-11, 12:56 pm
We had a great time yesterday!
This was the first time the UFC has been to Seattle and it was sold out.

The main events were sub-par, but the undercard fights were frickin awesome!
The "Korean Zombie" and his twister submission was SICK!

Here are a couple of vids...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjoo9Y7Fnd8

Our closing thoughts after the fights were over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMQMp84qU7E

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
04-06-11, 11:40 am
When I park my car for work, I usually park at an all-day street parking near Chinatown and will walk 15-18 minutes to my gym. It saves me $10-14 of parking and its not a big deal to walk 18 minutes and get some light cardio.

I worked 10am-6pm yesterday and walked back to my car and my fuckin passenger window is blown out. A crackhead or homeless person broke the window (there are so many crackheads in Chinatown Seattle).

All they took was $3 of change in the middle of my front seats.

Not the thing I was looking forward to after a long day of work. I felt pissed and violated when I saw all the shattered glass in my car and on my daughter's car seats in the back.
Took some pictures and called the police but they said since nothing was stolen, I could file a report online because its probably gonna be treated as Property Damage.

I saw 2 crackheads walking down the street to me and I had to leave because I would have started snapping at them knowing that one of their friends did this shit to my car.
It was fuckin cold driving 28 miles home and luckily it wasn't raining. Its actually light snowing right now up in Everett.

Came home and drank 3 beers out of my Keg-erator and hugged my daughters & wife. It sucks that my window is blown out but I'm glad I didn't snap on the street.

Next time, at least take my stock car radio or Air freshener to make the break-in worth while, you fuckin crackheads. All this for $3 in change?
WTF?

HIGA MONSTER

smoothballer
04-06-11, 11:56 am
Damn Higa that sucks...
People have no respect...

Stone_Ghost
04-06-11, 7:05 pm
Brudder, at least you knew better to walk away. Im pretty sure trying to explain to the cops what happened to your car was easier than trying to explain how 2 crackheads ended up looking like pretzels.

Shukin
04-06-11, 7:06 pm
Higa, there is no worse feeling than being violated......
Hopefully your insurance will cover it and premiums wont go up too much.
Excellent display of self control! You are one of my role models, if you got arrested for beating up a couple of crack heads, or even worse, shot, I would be very disappointed.

HIGA MONSTER
04-06-11, 11:11 pm
Damn Higa that sucks...
People have no respect...

Brudder, at least you knew better to walk away. Im pretty sure trying to explain to the cops what happened to your car was easier than trying to explain how 2 crackheads ended up looking like pretzels.

Higa, there is no worse feeling than being violated......
Hopefully your insurance will cover it and premiums wont go up too much.
Excellent display of self control! You are one of my role models, if you got arrested for beating up a couple of crack heads, or even worse, shot, I would be very disappointed.
$100 deductible and the insurance will pay for the rental car up to $30 per day.
Dropped it off to a collision center today and picked up a sweet Dodge Charger for only $3.24 out of my pocket until it is finished.

Thanks guys!
HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
04-07-11, 12:39 am
Anything that you would tweak? I am going to work on timing my pushpress better and after I get it up Ed pointed out that I need to push my head through more at the top and hold it a little bit longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQe6CBL0bSA

HIGA MONSTER
04-07-11, 1:54 am
Anything that you would tweak? I am going to work on timing my pushpress better and after I get it up Ed pointed out that I need to push my head through more at the top and hold it a little bit longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQe6CBL0bSA
Very strong bro.

BUT I would have only given you the 3rd rep if I was judging you because you got your head through on the 3rd rep.
I'm not being a dick, but the referee at most NAS contests look for 3 things on a press event.
1. Elbows locked
2. Feet paralell
3. Head through & looking forward at the ref

If you can get used to that in training, it will carry over just fine in the contest. Imagine I am sitting in front of you and you have to make eye contact with me before I give you the down signal.
The last thing you want to do is waste your time missing reps. That will piss you off.

Frickin strong has hell bro. Keep it up.
HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
04-07-11, 2:07 am
Very strong bro.

BUT I would have only given you the 3rd rep if I was judging you because you got your head through on the 3rd rep.
I'm not being a dick, but the referee at most NAS contests look for 3 things on a press event.
1. Elbows locked
2. Feet paralell
3. Head through & looking forward at the ref

If you can get used to that in training, it will carry over just fine in the contest. Imagine I am sitting in front of you and you have to make eye contact with me before I give you the down signal.
The last thing you want to do is waste your time missing reps. That will piss you off.

Frickin strong has hell bro. Keep it up.
HIGA MONSTER

Sweet!!!! Thanks alot! I will have Christmas act as the Ref next time. I will Practice the eye contact thing and make him give me a down signal. Do you know or can you say what the Competition weight is going to be?

HIGA MONSTER
04-07-11, 2:28 am
Sweet!!!! Thanks alot! I will have Christmas act as the Ref next time. I will Practice the eye contact thing and make him give me a down signal. Do you know or can you say what the Competition weight is going to be?
Entry form will be posted on April 15th.

Love you,
HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
04-07-11, 2:30 am
Entry form will be posted on April 15th.

Love you,
HIGA MONSTER

ALRIGHT SWEET!

So I was hoping you were still down for me to come up there and spend the night April 15th and train the 16th....... =-)

HIGA MONSTER
04-07-11, 2:32 am
ALRIGHT SWEET!

So I was hoping you were still down for me to come up there and spend the night April 15th and train the 16th....... =-)
Yea, no problem.

What time are you coming? I just have to pickup my daughter from school at 3:40pm.
Trapper's Sushi for lunch or dinner??

Lunch is 11am-3pm for $17 all you can eat...
HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
04-07-11, 2:43 am
Yea, no problem.

What time are you coming? I just have to pickup my daughter from school at 3:40pm.
Trapper's Sushi for lunch or dinner??

Lunch is 11am-3pm for $17 all you can eat...
HIGA MONSTER

I'm Free all day Friday. I can get to your place by Noon then we can go get some Lunch? Or we can meet at Trappers what ever is easiest for you.

HIGA MONSTER
04-07-11, 6:02 pm
I'm Free all day Friday. I can get to your place by Noon then we can go get some Lunch? Or we can meet at Trappers what ever is easiest for you.
I will just meet you at Trapper's at 11am next Friday then. Its only 5 miles from my house and you don't have to backtrack.

Trapper's Sushi
16908 SE 269th Pl
Covington, WA 98042

HIGA MONSTER

Seath308
04-07-11, 6:08 pm
I will just meet you at Trapper's at 11am next Friday then. Its only 5 miles from my house and you don't have to backtrack.

Trapper's Sushi
16908 SE 269th Pl
Covington, WA 98042

HIGA MONSTER

Are right Cool! Thanks for the address! Also thanks for letting me into your home man and don't worry I won't be "Myself" in front of your daughters lol ... I will act like a normal human-being. lol

Love,
Seath242!

HIGA MONSTER
04-08-11, 5:36 pm
Mark your calendars...
Wednesday, April 13th at 5:30pm. PST

Trapper's Sushi
Covington, WA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWtRtljiOd4

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

smoothballer
04-09-11, 12:03 am
Mark your calendars...

Trapper's Sushi
Covington, WA

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Very cool

Thrawn
04-10-11, 6:55 am
Mark your calendars...

Trapper's Sushi
Covington, WA

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Outstanding event. Great way to represent and pull for a good cause. Higa, i take a bow to you in deep appreciation of what you do and stand for.

HIGA MONSTER
04-10-11, 12:12 pm
Very cool

Outstanding event. Great way to represent and pull for a good cause. Higa, i take a bow to you in deep appreciation of what you do and stand for.
Anyway I can help out the less fortunate, I am all for it man.

I remember when I first moved out of my parents house with only $400 in my back account, no car, and had to go to college, and ate only Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the whole week because a loaf of bread cost only 79cents.
I walked to college and 2 part-time jobs for one year, and that sucked.

Even though I think that was one of the hardest portions of my life, it is NOTHING compared to not eating at all and living on the streets.
I am very honored to help Trapper's Sushi out with this local community food drive. Its not about Higa the strongman...its me trying to help others that don't have a home or food right now.

Will post video Wed night. Thanks guys!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
04-11-11, 2:49 pm
Our local community newspaper posted an article about this Wednesday's deadlift charity event:

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/cmv/business/119371499.html

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

FITGYM
04-13-11, 11:41 am
awesome article Higa...

HIGA MONSTER
04-13-11, 6:26 pm
I'm off to Trapper's Sushi! 5:30pm PST is when we start lifting.

Will post a write-up, pics and video tonight.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
04-14-11, 2:08 am
An honor to help out with this great cause. MASSIVE amounts of food were donated tonight and it was awesome to see family and friends coming by to drop off food.

We had HUGE rainstorms pass through while setting up and then while warming up.
However, we live in the Pacific Northwest so you just gotta deal with it and make the best of the situation.

This was hands down the hardest conditions I have ever pulled in. It was cold and rainy, and the sidewalk was slanted FIERCE where it seemed like I was on my toes the whole time.

Zack Nims pulling 500 lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8n0NQ2h58

HIGA MONSTER pulling 500 lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV-Z94Iczbs

"Last man standing Burpee challenge". I offered a 44 can of Animal Pak to the winner of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0J9H9JLt-Q

Here are some pictures I took too:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=351292908903%3A 1134389645&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee

Thank you "Trapper's Sushi" for letting me be a help towards your Food Drive! It was an honor!

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
04-14-11, 4:52 am
Awesome Job Higa.
Zack has beefed up hasn't he?

Ed Eliason
04-14-11, 8:44 am
Great cause, I think sometimes we all forget just how fortunate we are. Great job to you and Zack.

HIGA MONSTER
04-14-11, 12:16 pm
Awesome Job Higa.

Great cause, I think sometimes we all forget just how fortunate we are. Great job to you and Zack.
Thanks alot guys. LIke I said, it was an honor.

Funny story related to this lift-off is that after we were done I drank 3 large Sapporo's, 3 large Blue Moons, a ton of salmon and hamachi nigiri sushi, then I weighed in this morning at 296 lbs!
I was 302 lbs yesterday morning. I have been doing this all wrong!

I just have to drink massive quantities of beer and sushi, and I can be LEAN & MEAN like G Diesel.
What was I thinking?

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

The_Genius
04-14-11, 7:22 pm
Whats up higa?
Im looking for some help. Shukin pointed me to you, What do you do when you set up for a deadlift? To make sure your back and balance are going to be correct? Anything you think about or make sure feels right?
Just looking for pointers.
Thanks bro

HIGA MONSTER
04-15-11, 11:55 am
Whats up higa?
Im looking for some help. Shukin pointed me to you, What do you do when you set up for a deadlift? To make sure your back and balance are going to be correct? Anything you think about or make sure feels right?
Just looking for pointers.
Thanks bro
Whats up man?

As you train for the deadlift, make sure you approach the bar the same way everytime so that when you do it in a contest, those good habits will carry over and not give you problems.

Feet spacing, CORE is tight, grip is even, and not pulling on your toes.
A deadlift is like an upside down squat. You have to make sure you start the pull looking forward, and not with your head looking down.

Hope this helps. Send me a video of you deadlifting. That will help dissect your form.
HIGA MONSTER

wedge
04-18-11, 4:52 pm
Thanks alot guys. LIke I said, it was an honor.

Funny story related to this lift-off is that after we were done I drank 3 large Sapporo's, 3 large Blue Moons, a ton of salmon and hamachi nigiri sushi, then I weighed in this morning at 296 lbs!

I just have to drink massive quantities of beer and sushi, and I can be LEAN & MEAN like G Diesel.
What was I thinking?

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

If only it was that easy.
Props to you and the guys moving weight for charity. Respect.

The Iron Gumby
04-18-11, 6:27 pm
HM

About "The Burn Machine".

A. Crucial training implement?
OR
B. Fun toy to make your bros' arms burn?

I'll plunk the funds for real benefits but not for a novelty.

Thanks

HIGA MONSTER
04-19-11, 11:30 pm
If only it was that easy.
Props to you and the guys moving weight for charity. Respect.
Thanks wedge.
"Trapper's Sushi" raised 1,200 lbs of food for the local Food Banks. The Covington restaurant where we did the Deadlifting at raised 75% of the 1,200 lbs.

I saw Trapper at my daughter's baseball game this past Saturday, and I was able to introduce him to Ben Seath and he told me the final numbers

HM

About "The Burn Machine".

A. Crucial training implement?
OR
B. Fun toy to make your bros' arms burn?

I'll plunk the funds for real benefits but not for a novelty.

Thanks
Not sure yet. I am finding it to be a burn, but not too bad.
What I do think is that it will be a great tool for Shoulder Rehab & health.

I am very happy that I purchased it bottom line.
HIGA MONSTER

The Iron Gumby
04-20-11, 3:56 am
Not sure yet. I am finding it to be a burn, but not too bad.
What I do think is that it will be a great tool for Shoulder Rehab & health.

I am very happy that I purchased it bottom line.
HIGA MONSTER

I'll get one for the Shoulder maintenance then, thanks.

Da Eclipse
04-21-11, 8:04 pm
The Burn Machine is a sick tool Higa ! thanks to you and Rage I'm using it more on every workout, thats gotta get out there for the Animal Brothers to use in there shops! its a serious tool just depends how you use it my man.

HIGA MONSTER
04-21-11, 11:49 pm
The Burn Machine is a sick tool Higa ! thanks to you and Rage I'm using it more on every workout, thats gotta get out there for the Animal Brothers to use in there shops! its a serious tool just depends how you use it my man.
Way cool bro!

Next thing I will buy is that "Universal" bar that they make. Thats the one that Rage bought at the Arnold.
I wanna get the one with the Olympic plate adapter.

HIGA MONSTER

MRmichael.hooker
04-22-11, 6:40 am

What was I thinking?

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

I think this might be my new contest-prep diet. i'll let you know how it goes

scals
04-26-11, 9:48 pm
Just wanted to pop in and say what up!

HIGA MONSTER
04-27-11, 9:54 am
Just wanted to pop in and say what up!
Waddup playah?

Hope your prep for May is doing good. I been keeping an eye on it. May 1st is this Sunday bro, so turn that shit up!
HIGA MONSTER

PROSTRONGMANZACK
05-01-11, 2:34 am
Awesome Job Higa.

I am just under 230 now. I was wearing a shirt under that shirt in the video.

HIGA MONSTER
05-02-11, 2:58 pm
Very excited to be a part of another Animal Outreach here in Washington. Another plus is that Ben Seath will be able to do this one with me.

Giaudrone Middle School
Tacoma, WA
2:45pm-4:15pm (Pacific Standard Time)

Seath and I are going to take over 70 kids through 12 bodyweight exercise stations.
We want to make the kids aware that they can still workout, even if their family can't afford a gym membership. This school is in a rough area of Tacoma, WA and there is alot of low-income housing families in this area.

After taking the kids through the 12 stations, we are going to award the best kid in each station with a black "ANIMAL" t-shirt.
Think about this...I had to get black t-shirts to give away because the red Iconic shirts might not go well with the gang influence in the area. I am fuckin determined to help these kids and try to be a positive influence for them all.

Seath and I will do a lifting demonstration with a Log Press and Atlas Stone lifting.
Finally, we will close out the Outreach with an inspirational talk to these youngsters.

My friend Patti Farren is the Site Coordinator for the "Husky Impact Program" at Giaudrone Middle School. What makes this extra meaningful to me is that she is the Aunt of the late Jesse Marunde.
Jesse was one of the strongest muthafuckas I ever knew, but loved kids. When Patti asked if I could do this at her school, I was all in.

If any of you live in the Tacoma, WA area, please stop on by. Ben Seath and I can't wait for this Wednesday afternoon!

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

The Iron Gumby
05-02-11, 10:30 pm
After taking the kids through the 12 stations, we are going to award the best kid in each station with a black "ANIMAL" t-shirt.

You fixin' it so the one strongest kid doesn't nab the whole wardrobe?

Props for your positive influence bro, real religion.

HIGA MONSTER
05-03-11, 12:01 am
You fixin' it so the one strongest kid doesn't nab the whole wardrobe?

Props for your positive influence bro, real religion.
Hah! We will see.

Here are the stations...

1. Push-ups (most in a row)
2. Bodyweight squats
3. Wall sits for time
4. Planks for time
5. Burpees (most in a row)
6. Mountain climbers (most in a row)
7. Crunches (most in a row)
8. Hindu sit ups (most in a row)
9. Seated knees to chest
10. Scissor jumping jacks
11. Line jumps (laterally)
12. Bear crawls

Each station will have a staff member keeping track of which kids put up the most numbers.
The winner of each station will get an "ANIMAL" black t-shirt.

HIGA MONSTER

scals
05-04-11, 10:09 am
Waddup playah?

Hope your prep for May is doing good. I been keeping an eye on it. May 1st is this Sunday bro, so turn that shit up!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks Higa. Shit's getting real. 3 more days.

HIGA MONSTER
05-04-11, 11:49 am
Thanks Higa. Shit's getting real. 3 more days.
You got this bro!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
05-05-11, 2:35 am
We had a great turnout at today's "Animal Outreach: WEST COAST" at Tacoma, WA.

Ben and I did some Log pressing, then I shouldered a 245 lb Atlas Stone for the kids.
We also had local girl Audra Boltin come by and she bicep curled 95 lbs for 26 reps!

I have some pictures and video to put together. However, because these are 6th-8th graders, we have to get parental consent for me to post up photos or show them in any videotaping that I did. Will advise as soon as I get the clearance.

On a final note, this school was in the BOTTOM 5% in the entire state of Washington last year. Think about that. They fired most the entire Administration and are cleaning up this school to be better, and I hope Ben Seath and I made an impression.

Thanks again Animal for supporting us in community causes like this. Its an honor for me to participate in it.
HIGA MONSTER

Stone_Ghost
05-05-11, 5:55 pm
Thats awesome man, glad it turned out well for you guys.

HIGA MONSTER
05-07-11, 2:36 pm
I got the parental consent! Here is my video of the Animal Outreach that Ben Seath and I did last Wednesday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW0TnGRSYes

Thank you Animal Pak for supporting us with this great event. I am honored to do this for the 2nd time here in Washington.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

wedge
05-11-11, 11:35 am
I got the parental consent! Here is my video of the Animal Outreach that Ben Seath and I did last Wednesday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW0TnGRSYes

Thank you Animal Pak for supporting us with this great event. I am honored to do this for the 2nd time here in Washington.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Caught this inadvertently on Youtube the other day. Good job.

A few questions for ya, if you don't mind.
This Sunday I will be competing in my first real strongman contest. https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=163106017070452

I am competing in the 200 lb class. I weighted in this morning at 190. I've been following a high protein low carb diet for a few months to get my weight down. Is there any nutrition advice you would suggest to me for the night before and morning of? High carbs?

HIGA MONSTER
05-11-11, 1:03 pm

This Sunday I will be competing in my first real strongman contest. https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=163106017070452

I am competing in the 200 lb class. I weighted in this morning at 190. I've been following a high protein low carb diet for a few months to get my weight down. Is there any nutrition advice you would suggest to me for the night before and morning of? High carbs?
Thanks for the props on the Outreach. A big thanks goes to Ben Seath for helping me out too.

You are gonna need to start adding some carbs bro, cause those events are gonna require some energy. All you need to be is under 200.4 lbs to make that weight class.
I would add some carbs and make yourself just under 200 lbs so that you don't gas out at your first contest.

Keep me posted!
HIGA MONSTER

PROSTRONGMANZACK
05-12-11, 12:55 pm

I am with Higa, worry about pure performance and weight. Higa outlined it rather well.

SailinScotty
05-13-11, 2:45 am
Higa,
I was hoping you might know of some good hills in the Seattle area to do some hill sprints at.

HIGA MONSTER
05-13-11, 9:49 am
Higa,
I was hoping you might know of some good hills in the Seattle area to do some hill sprints at.
Probably around the Capitol Hill area bro.

What if you ran up the hill from Montlake to Capitol Hill?
If you take Hwy 520 east, then get off on Montlake exit, make a right.

You can park on the bottom over there then run up that huge hill. Thats a major bus route too.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
05-13-11, 10:08 am
I'm headed out at 1pm today for the 2 hour drive to Sequim.

The contest starts at 6pm-8pm as part of the Logging Show at the "Sequim Irrigation Festival". This is the oldest running festival in Washington state (116 years).

http://www.irrigationfestival.com/

Competitors:
Karl Gillingham (Minnesotta)
Dave Ostlund (Minnesotta)
Grant Higa
Corey St Clair (Idaho)
Kevin Nee (Arizona)
Van Hatfield (Utah)
Brad Dunn (Florida)
Breck Gault (Sequim, WA)

EVENTS:
1. Press Medley (axle and 3 logs)
2. Car Deadlift for reps (bar in front)
3. Yoke Walk/Farmers Walk medley
4. 365 lb Stone over a bar (for reps)
5. Tug of War (all 8 competitors vs kids from the audience)

Sequim is the hometown of my late homie, Jesse Marunde.
Always in honor to compete in this show in front of his family because Jesse put Sequim, WA on the strongman map. After the contest, there is a huge fireworks display at 9pm.

My ANIMAL shirts are packed. Gonna wear the yellow "Iconic" t-shirt this year during the contest.
Will take as much photos and videos that I can. Later!

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

rev8ball
05-13-11, 10:20 am

The contest starts at 6pm-8pm as part of the Logging Show at the "Sequim Irrigation Festival". This is the oldest running festival in Washington state (116 years).

Competitors:
Grant Higa
Corey St Clair (Idaho)
Kevin Nee (Arizona)
Van Hatfield (Utah)
Brad Dunn (Florida)
Breck Gault (Sequim, WA)

EVENTS:

Always in honor to compete in this show in front of his family because Jesse put Sequim, WA on the strongman map. After the contest, there is a huge fireworks display at 9pm.

My ANIMAL shirts are packed. Gonna wear the yellow "Iconic" t-shirt this year during the contest.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Helluva field! Best of luck, bro. Kick ass and represent!

Big D
05-13-11, 10:50 am

Competitors:
Grant Higa
Corey St Clair (Idaho)
Kevin Nee (Arizona)
Van Hatfield (Utah)
Brad Dunn (Florida)
Breck Gault (Sequim, WA)

EVENTS:

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

good luck big fella

SailinScotty
05-13-11, 11:05 am
Probably around the Capitol Hill area bro.

What if you ran up the hill from Montlake to Capitol Hill?
If you take Hwy 520 east, then get off on Montlake exit, make a right.

You can park on the bottom over there then run up that huge hill. Thats a major bus route too.

HIGA MONSTER

Thanks bro. I know it's a silly question with all the hills we have. Just was hoping for one where I don't have to pay to park. I'll definitely check that one out as 520 isn't far from my apartment.

Competitors:
Grant Higa
Corey St Clair (Idaho)
Kevin Nee (Arizona)
Van Hatfield (Utah)
Brad Dunn (Florida)
Breck Gault (Sequim, WA)

EVENTS:

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Best of luck today. Look forward to the pics and videos later.

HIGA MONSTER
05-13-11, 11:57 am
Helluva field! Best of luck, bro. Kick ass and represent!
Thanks rev. Will keep you posted.

good luck big fella
Word to your mutha...appreciate it D. Higa out...

Thanks bro. I know it's a silly question with all the hills we have. Just was hoping for one where I don't have to pay to park. I'll definitely check that one out as 520 isn't far from my apartment.
Best of luck today. Look forward to the pics and videos later.
Yea, you won't have to pay. Just park on the side streets...its only 2 hours free parking and I'm sure you won't be running hills for 2 hours.
Or maybe your an Animal???

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
05-13-11, 8:08 pm
Good luck Big Grant.
Say hello to Corey for me will ya.

The_Genius
05-13-11, 8:16 pm
Good Luck big dog, Fuckin Kevin Nee, big dude havent heard that name in a long time.

HIGA MONSTER
05-14-11, 2:21 pm
I placed 5th overall, out of 9 guys.

Gotta run to the airport, but here is my video from last night's contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTqjAS3n1vI

I am very happy at how my lower back strength has come along because I had great events in the Car Deadlift for reps, and 352 lb stone over a 50" bar!

Well do a write-up later tonight!
HIGA MONSTER

SailinScotty
05-14-11, 8:16 pm

Gotta run to the airport, but here is my video from last night's contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTqjAS3n1vI

I am very happy at how my lower back strength has come along because I had great events in the Car Deadlift for reps, and 352 lb stone over a 50" bar!

Well do a write-up later tonight!
HIGA MONSTER

Nice work Higa. Looks like it was a blast.

HIGA MONSTER
05-15-11, 2:24 pm
Nice work Higa. Looks like it was a blast.
Thanks bro.

Here are some KILLER photos from the contest that local photographer, Jim Wallingford, posted on his site.

http://www.jimwallingford.com/Events/Strongmen-Contests/2011c-Sequim-Strongman/17041479_kkJ8mP#1290205680_BRj5dVm

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

SailinScotty
05-15-11, 9:29 pm
Yeah, I definitely check them out.

HIGA MONSTER
05-16-11, 3:40 am
396 lb Log press attempt by me:

http://peninsuladailynews.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=35757267&event=1248285&CategoryI D=34244

You can see Dave Ostlund, Karl Gillingham and Kevin Nee in the background.

HIGA MONSTER

rev8ball
05-16-11, 10:29 am

HIGA MONSTER

Great job, bro!!

The Iron Gumby
05-16-11, 4:38 pm
Enjoyed the video. Lookin' strong bro!

wedge
05-16-11, 9:07 pm
Here's the results from my strongman comp Sunday. I competed in the lightweight <200 lbs.

Farmers (220)/Keg (200) medley (50 feet each way): Did it in 30 seconds.
Tire flip (500 lbs): Flipped it 79.9 feet. Needed to go 80, just missed it in 60 seconds. POURING rain.
Log Clean and Press (180): Only got it once. Was exhausted. Cleaned it several times.
Deads (400 lbs, truck tires): 14 times, 15 unofficial, didn't lock out completely.
Atlas Stones (240): got it over twice. Lost some skin on the forearms due to the tacky.

Overall, have some pumps and bruises. Nothing seemingly major, just need a little bit of rest.

Was strong in the deads. Need work on my overhead pressing and stones.
Any thoughts on improving in those areas would be appreciated.

wedge
05-16-11, 10:08 pm
Higa, sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add this earlier. How long do you take to recoup after a contest. I am not really injured perse, but I do have a few aches and pains, and a bruised? lower ab (thank you tire flip in the pouring rain).
I really want to get back in the gym tomorrow, but at the same time I don't want to aggravate anything.

HIGA MONSTER
05-17-11, 12:17 am
Great job, bro!!
Thanks rev.

Enjoyed the video. Lookin' strong bro!
Appreciate it bro.

Here's the results from my strongman comp Sunday. I competed in the lightweight <200 lbs.

Farmers (220)/Keg (200) medley (50 feet each way): Did it in 30 seconds.
Tire flip (500 lbs): Flipped it 79.9 feet. Needed to go 80, just missed it in 60 seconds. POURING rain.
Log Clean and Press (180): Only got it once. Was exhausted. Cleaned it several times.
Deads (400 lbs, truck tires): 14 times, 15 unofficial, didn't lock out completely.
Atlas Stones (240): got it over twice. Lost some skin on the forearms due to the tacky.

Overall, have some pumps and bruises. Nothing seemingly major, just need a little bit of rest.

Was strong in the deads. Need work on my overhead pressing and stones.
Any thoughts on improving in those areas would be appreciated.
What did you weigh in at?
I think your low carb diet may need some work so that you come into a contest with alot of gas in the tank.

Higa, sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add this earlier. How long do you take to recoup after a contest. I am not really injured perse, but I do have a few aches and pains, and a bruised? lower ab (thank you tire flip in the pouring rain).
I really want to get back in the gym tomorrow, but at the same time I don't want to aggravate anything.
I usually will get back to the gym on Tuesday or Wednesday. For me, it will be on Wednesday because I got the Toronto show on June 18th.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
05-17-11, 1:36 am
Its an honor for me to once again be the MC for this high school contest.

We have 7 local high schools that are competing for bragging rights of "Washington's Strongest School".
Juanita High School is the defending champion from 2010.

Events include:
Tractor tire flip
Golf cart push (with 2 people sitting inside)
Agility course
Farmers walk (plate carry)

I will take alot of pics and video. Come on by if you are in the Seattle area at Franklin High School football field.
12pm-3pm

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

wedge
05-18-11, 12:55 pm
What did you weigh in at?
I think your low carb diet may need some work so that you come into a contest with alot of gas in the tank.

I usually will get back to the gym on Tuesday or Wednesday. For me, it will be on Wednesday because I got the Toronto show on June 18th.

HIGA MONSTER

I came in at 193. You're right I will have to revamp my diet come next contest.