PDA

View Full Version : Higa's Strong Men

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Kowboy
05-31-12, 12:42 pm
Sometimes I really wish there was a crossfit gym here in columbus that wasn't 100 dollars a friggin month.

SailinScotty
05-31-12, 12:58 pm
Sometimes I really wish there was a crossfit gym here in columbus that wasn't 100 dollars a friggin month.

That's not bad at all. The one's by me were $200+ and about the same when I was in Seattle. Maybe a little cheaper.

GUNS
05-31-12, 3:48 pm

Are you frickin serious, You just said the C word!

Kowboy
06-01-12, 6:23 am
It looks like fun lol, I just dont get why the prices are so high compared to other things.

HIGA MONSTER
06-06-12, 7:15 pm
I am supposed to see him in Boise this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiftm_qzVA

HIGA MONSTER
06-07-12, 12:33 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MtItSNhWEE

HIGA MONSTER
06-08-12, 8:12 pm
Rage and I are headed downstairs to the arena for the Bodybuilding.com Boise Fitness Expo!

Workpants and Carhartt shirt is in full effect.
MEN IN BLACK.

Will post pics when we can.

Brian Shaw is still ducking me by the way...I invited him to eat with me and Rage but he said that he was busy planting trees with the Governor of Idaho...so the children can have cleaner air.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-09-12, 2:28 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxLTc1zBLog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_t30sLp0q8

HIGA MONSTER
06-09-12, 10:54 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHRXGm3aOR8&feature=youtu.be

J-Dawg
06-09-12, 2:13 pm
Awesome vids from the Boise Fit Expo. Love it!

HIGA MONSTER
06-09-12, 7:30 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm-VstRB8S8

HIGA MONSTER
06-09-12, 7:35 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLcXAIdRoU

Cyrus The Virus
06-09-12, 7:40 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLcXAIdRoU

Finally, you should have put your order in for next years shirt.

GUNS
06-09-12, 11:50 pm
Finally!

Kowboy
06-10-12, 12:16 am
Badass bro, that was awesome.

HIGA MONSTER
06-10-12, 11:14 pm
A guy comes up to me and Mike O'Hearn and says he can leg press 1300 lbs but cant deadlift 405 lbs. What can I do to pull over 405 lbs?
Mike O'Hearn says, "Pull harder"

A fat lady walks up to the MHP booth where Brian Shaw is signing autographs in front of a Brian Shaw upright poster and she asks out loud, "Who is Brian Shaw?"
I started rolling because she was serious and had no clue but just wanted free samples.

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
06-11-12, 6:36 am
He is probably the guy in the gym that fills up the leg press and then moves it 3 inches. In regards to the lady that is unfortunately what the Arnold is turning in to as well outside of the cage. What blows my mind is that people actually take half of that shit they are getting from there without even knowing what it is.

HIGA MONSTER
06-11-12, 11:19 am
He is probably the guy in the gym that fills up the leg press and then moves it 3 inches. In regards to the lady that is unfortunately what the Arnold is turning in to as well outside of the cage. What blows my mind is that people actually take half of that shit they are getting from there without even knowing what it is.
Agreed.

This lady was almost as big as Seath308 but because everything is FREE she was acting like it was a Wal Mart shopping spree.

Kowboy
06-11-12, 11:26 am
Agreed.

This lady was almost as big as Seath308 but because everything is FREE she was acting like it was a Wal Mart shopping spree.

Crazy shit right there. I still remember walking out of the cage at the Arnold. My intention was to explore but I only made it like 10 feet. People were waiting hours in line for free shit...blows my mind.

HIGA MONSTER
06-11-12, 11:35 am
I flew back to Seattle from Boise and landed after 10am.

Got my bag, and then caught the shuttle to where I parked my car.
As I left the parking lot, I merged onto Hwy 99 north and see these 2 teenagers giving me the "Ice Grill" as I was about to pass them.

I give them the Ice Grill back and the skinny mutherfucker throws a piece of food onto my windshield and they started laughing.

HIGA slams the brakes and threw it into reverse...the kids started running in their sandals. I am reversing on Hwy 99 for a 1/4 mile when I see them dart into a little Strip Mall.
They book it still but I see they are gassing.

They run to the other side of a building but they dont know that I can drive around the other side. The fat one basically gives up and says, "He is the one that threw it and he is over there!"
The skinny kid was trying to hop on a approaching bus but I told him you better get your ass over here right now.

Asked the punk if he does shit like this all the time? He said "no" so I told him that today was a bad day for you then.

I fuckin tell him that if he ever does shit like this again or that if I see him on this Hwy pulling that stunt again, that I would light his ass up in front of everybody on this street.
He says "yeah" but I tell him, "Look me in the eye and tell me you understand" and he did.

Then I tell them to beat it before I fly in P Diesel to Seattle for an intervention...

It was a bad day to throw food at a guy wearing a "Shut the F up and train shirt"
I hope the punks learn. Those fuckers were running so hard but then hit a wall and gave up. LOL

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
06-11-12, 11:37 am
That is awesome, damn right they are fucking punks. I hate shit like that. I was w/ the wife and kids on the freeway yesterday and some jackass on a crotch rocket got mad at someone and was looking back flipping her off and almost hit us. He then decided to brake check this lady and swerve in front of her almost hitting her car and forcing her to lock up the brakes. Dude needed followed home and beat the hell up. He was some little guy as well.

RedlegDbell
06-11-12, 2:07 pm
Scares me to think what may have happened to those kids if you hadn't got your ShawStrength T this weekend Higa LOL.

Steve

Altered Beast
06-11-12, 2:52 pm

As I left the parking lot, I merged onto Hwy 99 north and see these 2 teenagers giving me the "Ice Grill" as I was about to pass them.

I give them the Ice Grill back and the skinny mutherfucker throws a piece of food onto my windshield and they started laughing.

HIGA slams the brakes and threw it into reverse...the kids started running in their sandals. I am reversing on Hwy 99 for a 1/4 mile when I see them dart into a little Strip Mall.

They run to the other side of a building but they dont know that I can drive around the other side. The fat one basically gives up and says, "He is the one that threw it and he is over there!"
The skinny kid was trying to hop on a approaching bus but I told him you better get your ass over here right now.

Asked the punk if he does shit like this all the time? He said "no" so I told him that today was a bad day for you then.

I fuckin tell him that if he ever does shit like this again or that if I see him on this Hwy pulling that stunt again, that I would light his ass up in front of everybody on this street.
He says "yeah" but I tell him, "Look me in the eye and tell me you understand" and he did.

Then I tell them to beat it before I fly in P Diesel to Seattle for an intervention...

It was a bad day to throw food at a guy wearing a "Shut the F up and train shirt"
I hope the punks learn. Those fuckers were running so hard but then hit a wall and gave up. LOL

HIGA MONSTER

Something very similar happened to me on Saturday Higa! Must have been something in the air...

GoldieLocks
06-12-12, 10:06 am

HIGA MONSTER

IT WAS CRAZY that this happened!!! right!!!!???? Those punks needed an intervention! They were lucky that you had a "teaching moment" with them, cause my ass honestly woulda just called the cops, all i can think about is that poor lady who lost her face and eyes when some kids thru a rock off an overpass in Seattle...hopefully you scared some GD sense into them!

naturalguy
06-12-12, 12:08 pm
Great stuff Higa, I love the videos

HIGA MONSTER
06-14-12, 1:51 am
That is awesome, damn right they are fucking punks. I hate shit like that. I was w/ the wife and kids on the freeway yesterday and some jackass on a crotch rocket got mad at someone and was looking back flipping her off and almost hit us. He then decided to brake check this lady and swerve in front of her almost hitting her car and forcing her to lock up the brakes. Dude needed followed home and beat the hell up. He was some little guy as well.

Scares me to think what may have happened to those kids if you hadn't got your ShawStrength T this weekend Higa LOL.

Steve

Something very similar happened to me on Saturday Higa! Must have been something in the air...

IT WAS CRAZY that this happened!!! right!!!!???? Those punks needed an intervention! They were lucky that you had a "teaching moment" with them, cause my ass honestly woulda just called the cops, all i can think about is that poor lady who lost her face and eyes when some kids thru a rock off an overpass in Seattle...hopefully you scared some GD sense into them!
Goldielocks was on the same flight back to Seattle with me, so she was trippin when I got on the phone and started yelling to her what happened.

All this shit went down as I was driving to the movie theater to meet my wife & kids to watch "Madagascar 3".
WTF?

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-14-12, 1:51 am
Great stuff Higa, I love the videos
Thanks bro!
The BFE is something special and glad to be a part of it again.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-14-12, 9:18 pm
Met my wife and daughter for lunch today at Fatburger.

Never ate there in my life. Only knew of it in that Ice Cube song, "Today was a good day"

I had a Nutter Butter shake that blew my mind!
They ground up Nutter Butter cookies with vanilla ice cream. WOW.

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
06-15-12, 10:35 am
Met my wife and daughter for lunch today at Fatburger.

Never ate there in my life. Only knew of it in that Ice Cube song, "Today was a good day"

I had a Nutter Butter shake that blew my mind!
They ground up Nutter Butter cookies with vanilla ice cream. WOW.

HIGA MONSTER

NICE!!!! I use to eat nutter butters as a kid! Gotta love the name!

HIGA MONSTER
06-15-12, 3:22 pm
NICE!!!! I use to eat nutter butters as a kid! Gotta love the name!
I wanna go get another one now after my workout. LOL

Shukin
06-18-12, 3:03 pm
Hello Higa, I was wondering if you could recommend a harness for pulling the prowler? I have searched around the net and don't know what to really look for, the range in price drastically. Ideally, I would like something I can share with the people who join me on Fridays and Sundays for "prowler Party" workouts.

Thank you,
S

HIGA MONSTER
06-19-12, 12:22 pm
Hello Higa, I was wondering if you could recommend a harness for pulling the prowler? I have searched around the net and don't know what to really look for, the range in price drastically. Ideally, I would like something I can share with the people who join me on Fridays and Sundays for "prowler Party" workouts.

Thank you,
S
You can always order the Draft Horse Harness from IronMind.com
Thats the one they always use in Word's Strongest Man for truck pulls and I own one myself.

Or you can go ghetto and buy one from a construction store that sells harnesses that Window Washers use to hang off sides of the building.
As long as you feel it will safely hook up to your Prowler with a chain or short Tow Strap.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
06-20-12, 8:58 am
You can always order the Draft Horse Harness from IronMind.com
Thats the one they always use in Word's Strongest Man for truck pulls and I own one myself.

Or you can go ghetto and buy one from a construction store that sells harnesses that Window Washers use to hang off sides of the building.
As long as you feel it will safely hook up to your Prowler with a chain or short Tow Strap.

HIGA MONSTER

Thanks Higa, I love the draft horse one and the side in me that believes i can some day compete in the World's Strongest Man wants it, but I think price wise one from home depot might be in order.

I have been checking out strongmanwod and was wondering what RX stands for?

Mattman33
06-20-12, 12:34 pm
I have been checking out strongmanwod and was wondering what RX stands for?

Rx means that you complete the workout as prescribed with no modifications. It is a standard crossfit term that helps you compare yourself to others.

Kowboy
06-20-12, 12:48 pm
Rx means that you complete the workout as prescribed with no modifications. It is a standard crossfit term that helps you compare yourself to others.

Rx was short hand for prescription in the medical field. I still use it along w/ others which can drive people insane lol

Shukin
06-20-12, 1:06 pm
Thank you

Rx was short hand for prescription in the medical field. I still use it along w/ others which can drive people insane lol

That's what I was thinking, so I couldn't figure out what it meant, but "the workout as prescribed with no modifications" makes 100% sense. I thought it was reps-times......lol

Altered Beast
06-20-12, 1:44 pm

Be careful! That can get you into legal trouble if used in a professional setting!

Mattman33
06-21-12, 9:15 pm
looks like i need to start working on my sandbag/keg carry. do you have any technique advice? i figure that i need to keep "picking things up and putting them down" until it gets easier for me so i can carry them.

RedlegDbell
06-22-12, 12:31 am
Please congratulate Riess for me. Big PR on those split jerks. Is he on the forvm?

Steve

HIGA MONSTER
06-23-12, 9:25 pm
looks like i need to start working on my sandbag/keg carry. do you have any technique advice? i figure that i need to keep "picking things up and putting them down" until it gets easier for me so i can carry them.
Personally, I think its mental more than conditioning.

The thought of setting that damn object down because you feel like an elephant is on it is whats the big battle.
Every inch counts and you need to make sure you have the WILL to not drop it.

Besides that, keep up on your conditioning and pickup Sandbags and Kegs for the longest distance possible!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-23-12, 9:26 pm
Please congratulate Riess for me. Big PR on those split jerks. Is he on the forvm?

Steve
No, but I have been trying to get him onto the FORVM.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-23-12, 9:28 pm
I can't wait! Looking to defend my title and win a $200 gift certificate.

http://www.samurainoodle.com/bigeater.html

I currently hold the record with 8 balls of noodles in 11 minutes. I stopped at 8 and had 9 minutes to spare.
20 minute time limit.

Keep you posted! Ben Seath, come do this contest with me bro! I need a wingman! lol

HIGA MONSTER

widdlewade44
06-23-12, 9:34 pm
Good luck HIGA!

Kevin
widdlewade44

HIGA MONSTER
06-24-12, 9:35 pm
I won. Ate 10 balls of noodles with 3 minutes left on the clock.
Broke my record of 8 balls of noodles.

Each ball weighs 8 ozs pre-cooked.
I almost puked 5 times on the drive home. Don't ever wanna do that shit again.

But I won $200 and 30% off for the rest of my life! Video and pics to come later.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
06-25-12, 2:00 am

The thought of setting that damn object down because you feel like an elephant is on it is whats the big battle.

Besides that, keep up on your conditioning and pickup Sandbags and Kegs for the longest distance possible!

HIGA MONSTER

Advice I will learn from, thank you.

GUNS
06-25-12, 2:15 am

But I won $200 and 30% off for the rest of my life! Video and pics to come later.

HIGA MONSTER

Congrats Higa! Thats gonna be 1 long noodle coming out! lol!

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-12, 2:30 am
Advice I will learn from, thank you.
Your welcome bro. Thanks for always stopping by.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-12, 2:31 am
Congrats Higa! Thats gonna be 1 long noodle coming out! lol!
Hasn't come yet, and I don't suggest doing it. That shit was tough and tomorrow's workout is going to suck but is much needed!

HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
06-25-12, 7:23 am

HIGA MONSTER

Thanks. I avoided these events last summer, because of that. I am making that effort this summer and that by itself is improvement. As always thanks for the advice and motivation.

Altered Beast
06-25-12, 9:48 am
5 POUNDS of pre-cooked noodles?!?!?!!?

W O W!!!!!!!

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-12, 11:27 am
Thanks. I avoided these events last summer, because of that. I am making that effort this summer and that by itself is improvement. As always thanks for the advice and motivation.
Those kinds of events will give your hamstrings and glutes some serious work too bro.
But I think its more mental conditioning that you have to overcome when you do it.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-12, 11:28 am
5 POUNDS of pre-cooked noodles?!?!?!!?

W O W!!!!!!!
I am eating only Spinach salads and greens this whole week to "deload" all those fuckin noodles I ate. Brutal...

Headed to the gym in 1 hour to punish myself and burn off these carbs.
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
06-25-12, 12:07 pm
Your welcome bro. Thanks for always stopping by.

HIGA MONSTER

But of course, you ARE my Strongman mentor. <—period emphasized.

Altered Beast
06-25-12, 1:28 pm
I am eating only Spinach salads and greens this whole week to "deload" all those fuckin noodles I ate. Brutal...

Headed to the gym in 1 hour to punish myself and burn off these carbs.
HIGA MONSTER

Sounds like you're going to have some Strongman Shits! LOL!!!!!!! I'd give the log and squatting a rest or you might spray everyone around you! LOL!

Kill i oughtta
06-25-12, 8:11 pm

HIGA MONSTER

Noodlemoster

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-12, 10:13 pm
Noodlemonster
Haha! Good one!

HIGA

HIGA MONSTER
07-06-12, 9:48 pm
Went to the UFC Fan Expo today with my wife. I love that expo!

Took some cool pics with Cheick Kongo; Josh "The Punk" Thompson and Cain Velasquez. I also got Mike Goldberg to sign my laniard and snap a pic.

Then we went to the weigh-ins. Holy shit! Over 12,000 people were there for the weigh ins!
Silva threw his shoulder into Chael when they squared up.

HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
07-06-12, 10:56 pm
just had to tell you that i had the 310 stone up today. i set up to far away from the bar and missed it by an inch. no tacky either.

thanks for your tips...

HIGA MONSTER
07-07-12, 3:06 am
just had to tell you that i had the 310 stone up today. i set up to far away from the bar and missed it by an inch. no tacky either.

thanks for your tips...
Nice Job Matt!

You are tall and have long arms so you are built for Stones bro!
Keep it up. Proud of you!

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
07-07-12, 10:36 am
I am having a good time getting my strength up.

GoldieLocks
07-10-12, 8:19 pm
Went to the UFC Fan Expo today with my wife. I love that expo!

Took some cool pics with Cheick Kongo; Josh "The Punk" Thompson and Cain Velasquez. I also got Mike Goldberg to sign my laniard and snap a pic.

Then we went to the weigh-ins. Holy shit! Over 12,000 people were there for the weigh ins!
Silva threw his shoulder into Chael when they squared up.

HIGA MONSTER

So glad you got to go to that!!!!!

HIGA MONSTER
07-24-12, 10:07 am
I got a text from Tyler Scott yesterday. He lives in San Jose, CA.

He tells me that while checking out Craigslist, he comes across a random ad from a guy selling plates for a great deal.
Tyler calls him up and its fuckin Bruce Wilhelm.

For those of you that don't know, he won the "World's Strongest Man" twice in the late 70's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Wilhelm

Tyler said on the phone, "I didn't catch your name..." And the guy said, "Bruce Wilhelm..."
and then Tyler was thinking...HOLY SHIT!

Tyler met him yesterday and was so stoked. He bought a 1,000 lbs of plates from him for super cheap.
But here is one of the best parts...Tyler saw this Incline Bench in Bruce's gym and he knew what it was right away...it was the legendary, Pat Casey's incline bench. Pat Casey was the first man to bench press over 600 lbs (615 lbs)
Bruce Wilhelm has that bench and it looks just like the old photos you would see Pat Casey benching.

The fucked up part is that Tyler was too wussy to ask for a photo with Bruce. WTF? But he scored some awesome plates from him for a great deal and they exchanged phone numbers.

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
07-24-12, 10:43 am
That is SWEET!

GUNS
07-24-12, 10:43 am
If there are no pictures, it didnt happen! LOL! Great story and great he got to meet him.

Kowboy
07-24-12, 11:00 am
Just realized Bruce and I have the same birthday

HIGA MONSTER
07-24-12, 2:06 pm
That is SWEET!

If there are no pictures, it didnt happen! LOL! Great story and great he got to meet him.

Just realized Bruce and I have the same birthday
Tyler said, "That bench is SICK!" And Bruce said, "Don't go fucking up that bench...thats the bench Pat Casey did his 525 lbs Incline on..."

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
07-24-12, 2:46 pm
Hello Higa, I am finishing up my 6th cycle of 5/3/1 this week and before moving on to the 7th I was wondering if you could give me some advice on event training. I am planning on competing in the 200lb class in the 4th annual Delaware strong man comp in October.
Any specific training I should do? How often? What other lifts do I work in? Do I discontinue 5/3/1 till it is over?

http://www.nastrongman.com/pdf/2011/de4.pdf
Thank you,
Shukin

P.S. Can I even do this? I mean it says "gold class" do I have to qualify?

HIGA MONSTER
07-25-12, 10:02 am
5 years ago today, my brother passed away after working out in Sequim, WA.

One of the saddest days of my life but I know that fucker is still doing 20 reps Squats up in heaven.
I was frowning about it yesterday...knowing that today was coming but I am turning that frown upside down knowing that I was blessed to train, compete and hang out as a friend with this Strongman.

I got an epic workout planned this morning in his honor. Will post a video later.

HIGA

GUNS
07-25-12, 10:35 am
5 years ago today, my brother passed away after working out in Sequim, WA.

One of the saddest days of my life but I know that fucker is still doing 20 reps Squats up in heaven.
I was frowning about it yesterday...knowing that today was coming but I am turning that frown upside down knowing that I was blessed to train, compete and hang out as a friend with this Strongman.

I got an epic workout planned this morning in his honor. Will post a video later.

HIGAYes Grant, celebrate his life man! Look forward to the vid!

Altered Beast
07-25-12, 11:16 am
Can't wait!

HIGA MONSTER
07-25-12, 6:48 pm
http://youtu.be/9CjAzPvv7UU

You are always missed bro.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
07-26-12, 1:34 am

HIGA MONSTER

WOW

Altered Beast
07-26-12, 1:48 pm

HIGA MONSTER

W O W ! ! !

Higa, new respect for you bro!

Do you still bring the leg up when you do Slater Log work?

Kowboy
07-26-12, 2:25 pm
Higa, you are the man!

HIGA MONSTER
07-26-12, 3:45 pm
WOW

W O W ! ! !

Higa, new respect for you bro!

Do you still bring the leg up when you do Slater Log work?

Higa, you are the man!
Thanks guys.

I had to dig deep after rep 40.
You cant tell but there is a framed picture of Jesse on top of that Plyo box. I was leaning in front of him alot to push through.

Zack helped at rep 60
He said, "Today isnt just an ordinary day..." and I fuckin turned away all doubts after hearing him say that.

On a side note, Zack CRUSHED a 320 lbs Log after my reps. Weighing only 240 lbs. It was so easy!

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
07-26-12, 5:48 pm
Thanks guys.

I had to dig deep after rep 40.
You cant tell but there is a framed picture of Jesse on top of that Plyo box. I was leaning in front of him alot to push through.

Zack helped at rep 60
He said, "Today isnt just an ordinary day..." and I fuckin turned away all doubts after hearing him say that.

On a side note, Zack CRUSHED a 320 lbs Log after my reps. Weighing only 240 lbs. It was so easy!

HIGA MONSTER

Amazing man, that is why you motivate me so much as well. I killed a PR in teh deads tonight, 330 x 10 which put my estimated 1RM at 439!

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 1:52 am
Hello Higa, I am finishing up my 6th cycle of 5/3/1 this week and before moving on to the 7th I was wondering if you could give me some advice on event training. I am planning on competing in the 200lb class in the 4th annual Delaware strong man comp in October.
Any specific training I should do? How often? What other lifts do I work in? Do I discontinue 5/3/1 till it is over?

http://www.nastrongman.com/pdf/2011/de4.pdf
Thank you,
Shukin

P.S. Can I even do this? I mean it says "gold class" do I have to qualify?
First of all, don't say "Can I even do this?" SHUT UP AND BRING IT.

The Gold class has nothing to do with you. Thats the level of sanctioning for the Promoter. If you are an experienced contest promoter, you can sanction it higher to Platinum. Thats what my Strongest Apple is sanctioned it, so the top 3 in each weight class will qualify for Nationals.
For Gold, I believe its only the top 2 in each weight class that qualify.

Log Press: This should be done on a Overhead Day. Do the Log first, then also do some Incline DB Presses to simulate the Log Press, close grip bench press and other accessory Tricep & Shoulder work.

Sandbag Carry: I would do this on Leg Day. Do some Front Squats first (this will help Log Press), then do the Sandbag carry. This is going to FRY your hamstrings and your breathing. Don't panic and get used to "sipping" breaths as you carry the bag. Its all mental on the sandbag. Then, I would finish with Tire Flips. This will test your conditioning...

Axle Deadlifts & Stone over the bar: Do this on the same day. In the same order. If you can condition your back to be strong after pulling Axle Deadlifts, the Stone will be easy for you.

These are 3 days that you need to plan accordingly.

ALoha,
HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
07-27-12, 7:55 am

The Gold class has nothing to do with you. Thats the level of sanctioning for the Promoter. If you are an experienced contest promoter, you can sanction it higher to Platinum. Thats what my Strongest Apple is sanctioned it, so the top 3 in each weight class will qualify for Nationals.

Log Press: This should be done on a Overhead Day. Do the Log first, then also do some Incline DB Presses to simulate the Log Press, close grip bench press and other accessory Tricep & Shoulder work.

Sandbag Carry: I would do this on Leg Day. Do some Front Squats first (this will help Log Press), then do the Sandbag carry. This is going to FRY your hamstrings and your breathing. Don't panic and get used to "sipping" breaths as you carry the bag. Its all mental on the sandbag. Then, I would finish with Tire Flips. This will test your conditioning...

Axle Deadlifts & Stone over the bar: Do this on the same day. In the same order. If you can condition your back to be strong after pulling Axle Deadlifts, the Stone will be easy for you.

ALoha,
HIGA MONSTER

advice taken. this is pure gold in my opinion. thank you so much.

Shukin
07-27-12, 8:15 am

ALoha,
HIGA MONSTER

Thank you so very much Higa. I am truly grateful for the education. I hope you don't mind if I continue to ask for advice and pointers along the way.
I don't think I would ever have considered getting involved in strongman had I not met you and Corey a few years ago.

Deepest respect,
Shukin

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 9:14 am
You are welcome.
Both you and Shukin need to figure out how these 3 days of training is going to work with your work schedules. I suggest that you make sure you have 3 days rest in b/w the Legs & Pulling days (Axle deads & Stones)

Thank you so very much Higa. I am truly grateful for the education. I hope you don't mind if I continue to ask for advice and pointers along the way.
I don't think I would ever have considered getting involved in strongman had I not met you and Corey a few years ago.

Deepest respect,
Shukin
Not a problem my friend. I apologize for not responding quicker to you.
There is always alot on my mind the day before Jesse's anniversary and obviously on the actual day of his passing.

Look at how far you have come from that day we met in Japan. Its amazing bro!

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
07-27-12, 9:22 am
Very understandable Higa.
I just called a steel wear house in Jersey to get 2" cold-rold solid steel bar, 12' length cut to 7' and the remaining 5' cut in 2.5' lengths to be used as fat ass DB's and what not, comes to $153 + tax. An iron mind Axel goes for $229.95 + $70.00 for shipping....It might be a bit ghetto but it is a $146.95 difference. The Rogue fitness one is cheep but it's not 2".

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 10:26 am
Very understandable Higa.
I just called a steel wear house in Jersey to get 2" cold-rold solid steel bar, 12' length cut to 7' and the remaining 5' cut in 2.5' lengths to be used as fat ass DB's and what not, comes to $153 + tax. An iron mind Axel goes for $229.95 + $70.00 for shipping....It might be a bit ghetto but it is a $146.95 difference. The Rogue fitness one is cheep but it's not 2".
That works.

Just make sure your Axle is smooth. Don't let them give you a steel bar that has a texture on it.
There is no point in buying a ghetto Axle if its not smooth.

Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
07-27-12, 10:39 am
That works.

Just make sure your Axle is smooth. Don't let them give you a steel bar that has a texture on it.
There is no point in buying a ghetto Axle if its not smooth.

Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER

Will do Master Higa.
No luck involved, hard training and an open mind from here on out. I am determined to make you proud of me and earn the right to a "Higamonters" shirt.

Respect,
Shukin

Kowboy
07-27-12, 11:14 am
I used the axle for the first time this week, it was different but I have big hands so it wasn't too bad. The smoothness was weird. I ended up getting 155 for a couple easy reps, didn't want to get too crazy until I get use to everything.

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 1:27 pm
Will do Master Higa.
No luck involved, hard training and an open mind from here on out. I am determined to make you proud of me and earn the right to a "Higamonters" shirt.

Respect,
Shukin
You better do good. If not, you will have to perform, "Hello Kitty" on yourself.

Sorry, I meant "Harekiri"...

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 1:29 pm
I used the axle for the first time this week, it was different but I have big hands so it wasn't too bad. The smoothness was weird. I ended up getting 155 for a couple easy reps, didn't want to get too crazy until I get use to everything.
Right on.

Axle training is going to make your grip stronger.
You should try and do Stiff leg deadlifts or Barbell Rows with it sometime.

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
07-27-12, 1:36 pm
Higa, believe it or not, a second Slater Log and Axle just showed up at our gym one day! No one knows who brought it!

This was a few weeks ago and the axle is hollow. Are they all hollow?

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 6:51 pm
Higa, believe it or not, a second Slater Log and Axle just showed up at our gym one day! No one knows who brought it!

This was a few weeks ago and the axle is hollow. Are they all hollow?
Crazy!

Yes, the axle is hollow.
The IronMind axle is made of stainless steel and has been rated to 1,000 lbs though. Even with it being hollow.

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
07-28-12, 1:29 am
Crazy!

Yes, the axle is hollow.
The IronMind axle is made of stainless steel and has been rated to 1,000 lbs though. Even with it being hollow.

HIGA MONSTER

The one at the new gym I almost threw across the room lol i was expecting it to weight 45 and it def didnt

Shukin
07-30-12, 11:23 am
Crazy!

Yes, the axle is hollow.

HIGA MONSTER

Really, the iron mind one is hollow? It looks solid in the pick. The one I am getting is solid. I am going to drive out and get it tomorrow, yeah buddy.

HIGA MONSTER
07-30-12, 1:04 pm
Really, the iron mind one is hollow? It looks solid in the pick. The one I am getting is solid. I am going to drive out and get it tomorrow, yeah buddy.
Yes sir.

It weighs 33 lbs and hollow but tested to hold 1,000 lbs. Good shit.

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
08-04-12, 11:06 am
Yes sir.

HIGA MONSTER

I am loving the axle, it is a lot of fun. I do have to remember that it weights 25lbs and not 45 lol I screwed that up last week. I am still on my journey to be one of Higa's Strong Men.

HIGA MONSTER
08-04-12, 12:58 pm
I am loving the axle, it is a lot of fun. I do have to remember that it weights 25lbs and not 45 lol I screwed that up last week. I am still on my journey to be one of Higa's Strong Men.
Right on bro! Keep it up!

HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
08-04-12, 3:46 pm
Yes sir.

HIGA MONSTER

speaking of the axle bar....

when do you use the continental clean instead of a normal clean?

i was just wondering how heavy you went with the regular cleans, and is there a benefit on the continental. i just never did them yet.

thanks again.

HIGA MONSTER
08-04-12, 5:56 pm
speaking of the axle bar....

when do you use the continental clean instead of a normal clean?

i was just wondering how heavy you went with the regular cleans, and is there a benefit on the continental. i just never did them yet.

thanks again.
I can double overhand clean up to 275 lbs. After that, I need to continental it. This is for Cleans only.

Because I can double overhand 405 lbs on the Axle.
I think its great to Double Overhand as much as possible to help develop your grip. Then switch your grip when it starts to fatigue.

HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
08-04-12, 6:05 pm
I can double overhand clean up to 275 lbs. After that, I need to continental it. This is for Cleans only.

Because I can double overhand 405 lbs on the Axle.
I think its great to Double Overhand as much as possible to help develop your grip. Then switch your grip when it starts to fatigue.

HIGA MONSTER

thats what i am working on. thanks.

HIGA MONSTER
08-05-12, 1:26 pm
Its streaming online if you wanna watch.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/

Randal Harris and Brad Gillingham are having a great battle in the SHW class.
Harris squatted 760 lbs on his 2nd attempt.

A guy from Alaska broke the Raw SHW bench press record with 534 lbs!

The SHW's are being streamed on Platform #2.

HIGA MONSTER
08-07-12, 9:49 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaaBKiklzYs

Who will win?

Kowboy
08-07-12, 10:56 am
Those look hard as hell, I was wondering if us big fellas could do those. At 270 I doubt I could do 1 or 2 man lol. Good luck HIGA!

HIGA MONSTER
08-08-12, 10:32 am
Those look hard as hell, I was wondering if us big fellas could do those. At 270 I doubt I could do 1 or 2 man lol. Good luck HIGA!
My friend Grover in that video, weighs 265 lbs. And he did almost 5 reps.

You need to see Ryan Riess do it...I have seen him do "clapping" handstand push-ups at Imperial.

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
08-08-12, 1:29 pm
Just dusted off some of the strongman stuff at my second gym. My training partner and I messed around with the log and stones for a bit. We had stopped using the actual equipment and were just training in the gym, trying to get our bench, deads and squat up to par. Figured this would help in the strongman world, plus until recently I had plans on competing in powerlifting in October, but that fell through.
But our planned seemed to work. I was able to clean and press the log at weights of 200 and 210 for singles. A new PR in an event that I have struggled with in the past.

HIGA MONSTER
08-08-12, 3:59 pm
Just dusted off some of the strongman stuff at my second gym. My training partner and I messed around with the log and stones for a bit. We had stopped using the actual equipment and were just training in the gym, trying to get our bench, deads and squat up to par. Figured this would help in the strongman world, plus until recently I had plans on competing in powerlifting in October, but that fell through.
But our planned seemed to work. I was able to clean and press the log at weights of 200 and 210 for singles. A new PR in an event that I have struggled with in the past.
Right on bro! COngrats!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
08-09-12, 3:15 pm
I am meeting Brian Shaw in 2 hours.

Going to eat big with him, then will workout at his new Training Facility. Should be pretty cool!

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
08-09-12, 3:41 pm
I am meeting Brian Shaw in 2 hours.

Going to eat big with him, then will workout at his new Training Facility. Should be pretty cool!

HIGA MONSTER

Vids please!

HIGA MONSTER
08-09-12, 3:43 pm
Vids please!
Will do my best...didn't bring my laptop but have my camera.

Altered Beast
08-09-12, 3:54 pm
Will do my best...didn't bring my laptop but have my camera.

No excuses! Play like a champion!

HIGA MONSTER
08-11-12, 12:28 am
http://youtu.be/wnkPyLr8geE

A fuckin strongman's DREAM. His gym is stacked!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
08-11-12, 1:14 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwKKwRjicm4&feature=youtu.be

My first time trying the Back Attack machine.

Mike Burke is in this video too (Mr Olympia Strongman 2011)

Shukin
08-11-12, 4:01 am
Nice videos Higa, what an idea, build a gym at a storage locker.......What kinda kicks you rockin' there?

SailinScotty
08-11-12, 2:20 pm

HIGA MONSTER

Awesome vids Higa.

Kowboy
08-11-12, 5:11 pm
Awesome vids, that is cool as hell man. Looks like you had a blast!

HIGA MONSTER
08-11-12, 6:03 pm
Nice videos Higa, what an idea, build a gym at a storage locker.......What kinda kicks you rockin' there?
Yup, he bought those 2 storage condos. People can store RV's in there so its big.

After leasing a place for a while, he decided to just buy one.
That place is awesome.

I will see him on Tuesday before I fly back to Seattle.

Kowboy
08-11-12, 6:08 pm
That is awesome! The videos were great, I was watching them in bed and my wife just looks at me and laughs. She just doesn't understand. I am a huge fan of Shaw.

World Eater
08-12-12, 7:57 am
Really cool to see man. How did you like that power squat? Doesn't come close to barbell squats but it's pretty nice huh?

HIGA MONSTER
08-12-12, 11:50 am
Really cool to see man. How did you like that power squat? Doesn't come close to barbell squats but it's pretty nice huh?
Yeah man, I like that one too!

I didnt go heavy on it but can imagine if you had 400 lbs or more. It felt real nice loading the legs but no cervical pressure on the spine.

I dig using equipment that I never used before but get good carryover on it.

Altered Beast
08-13-12, 11:02 am

HIGA MONSTER

NICE! Travis Ortmeyer did something similar as well with storage units. Travis says he is winning it this year! Brian will have some competition!

6'8" 425 Pounds....holy hell that is absolutely awesome. Such a good human being as well.

When is the WSM this year??

Back Attack, Belt Squat Machine, GHR, Reverse Hyper, Power Squat Machine, sounds like a Powerlifting/Strongman hybrid gym!!

a 575 Pound Anvil.....wow....that's really all I can say.

Kowboy
08-22-12, 11:10 am
I have a question on weight classes for Strongman. I see one contest right now that says HW is 265 lbs and SHW is 300+ and I weight 270 so I am not sure how it works. If I am over 265 and less than 300 do I fall in to the HW?

HIGA MONSTER
08-22-12, 11:52 am
I have a question on weight classes for Strongman. I see one contest right now that says HW is 265 lbs and SHW is 300+ and I weight 270 so I am not sure how it works. If I am over 265 and less than 300 do I fall in to the HW?
For NAS Strongman,
Lightweight is 231 lbs and below. (175, 200 and 231 lbs weight classes)
Heavyweight is 231.5 lbs and above. (265, 300, and SHW weight classes)

If you think you can drop weight to 265.4 lbs, you will compete in the 265 lbs weight class.

Or, you can be the lightest guy in the 300 lbs weight class and not worry about cutting weight.

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
08-22-12, 11:57 am
For NAS Strongman,
Lightweight is 231 lbs and below. (175, 200 and 231 lbs weight classes)
Heavyweight is 231.5 lbs and above. (265, 300, and SHW weight classes)

If you think you can drop weight to 265.4 lbs, you will compete in the 265 lbs weight class.

Or, you can be the lightest guy in the 300 lbs weight class and not worry about cutting weight.

HIGA MONSTER

Cool, just trying to come up w/ a game plan for next year. At this point I may just stick to the diet, lift heavy and see where I fall next year. If I am close to 265 like I am now I may drop the weight if I am closer to 300 then I will just go that route. Thanks for clearing it up Higa.

Shukin
08-22-12, 12:05 pm
Hello Grant. I worked out with Steve Pulcinella last week, he kicked my ass, full write up on my thread. I spoke to him about footwear, he also mentioned Merrels for pressing, steel toe for stones, my chucks are fine for axle....I was debating between VS olympic shoes and merrels, I know you use a variety of shoes, boots, squat shoes, wrestling shoes, and I know I roughly asked you about this before, now I am ready to buy, what do you recommend?

ありがとうございます、
しゅきん

HIGA MONSTER
08-22-12, 12:10 pm
Hello Grant. I worked out with Steve Pulcinella last week, he kicked my ass, full write up on my thread. I spoke to him about footwear, he also mentioned Merrels for pressing, steel toe for stones, my chucks are fine for axle....I was debating between VS olympic shoes and merrels, I know you use a variety of shoes, boots, squat shoes, wrestling shoes, and I know I roughly asked you about this before, now I am ready to buy, what do you recommend?

ありがとうございます、
しゅきん
I use Merrel's for pressing but as they get worn, its tough to press heavy in them. It seems like I "rock" in my shoes if I wear old Merrels.

Lately, I have been pressing in my Squat shoes.
I have never owned Weightlifting shoes.

Kowboy
08-22-12, 12:12 pm
I use Merrel's for pressing but as they get worn, its tough to press heavy in them. It seems like I "rock" in my shoes if I wear old Merrels.

I have those Merrell 0mm drop minimalist shoes, not sure why I bought them. I can't get use to the barefoot feel but w/ the vibram soles they have crazy good grip. What do you wear for squat shoes?

Shukin
08-22-12, 12:12 pm

Will you press in the squat shoes in strongman comps now or stick to the Merrel's? What squat shoes do you have? I guess anything will be more supportive than Chuk's.

Kowboy
08-22-12, 12:15 pm
I am digging the chucks for deads but it is getting harder to use them w/ squats. I tried using htem for tire flips, prowler and farmers walks and it hurts my knees a lot.

Shukin
08-22-12, 12:21 pm
I am digging the chucks for deads but it is getting harder to use them w/ squats. I tried using htem for tire flips, prowler and farmers walks and it hurts my knees a lot.

I bought running shoes for the prowler, sandbag, farmers and tire, huge huge difference. Seath308 squats big in Chuck's, yet he is a freak.

Kowboy
08-22-12, 12:23 pm
I bought running shoes for the prowler, sandbag, farmers and tire, huge huge difference. Seath308 squats big in Chuck's, yet he is a freak.

My chucks are destroyed which may be why I dont like them on squats but I just haven't decided if I need to get another pair. I will probably just start using my NB Trail shoes for the moving events.

HIGA MONSTER
08-22-12, 3:25 pm
Will you press in the squat shoes in strongman comps now or stick to the Merrel's? What squat shoes do you have? I guess anything will be more supportive than Chuk's.
I bring both, but its a huge difference with my squat shoes.

I have some old SAFE Squat shoes but they sold the company to TITAN and I heard they call them something else now.
Brian Shaw just bough a pair from TITAN and he prefers pressing in them to Oly shoes.

HIGA MONSTER
08-22-12, 3:26 pm
I can't use running shoes for Prowler...I slip out of the heels.

I would rather use my Merrel boots.

Shukin
08-22-12, 4:03 pm
I bring both, but its a huge difference with my squat shoes.

I have some old SAFE Squat shoes but they sold the company to TITAN and I heard they call them something else now.
Brian Shaw just bough a pair from TITAN and he prefers pressing in them to Oly shoes.

They look like the ones Tony Harris uses, do you know if he got the TITAN contender or the Olympian (whit or black)?

HIGA MONSTER
08-22-12, 4:32 pm
They look like the ones Tony Harris uses, do you know if he got the TITAN contender or the Olympian (whit or black)?
I got black shoes...Shaw has a pair of white ones.

Yeah, Tony Harris is from the old skool and owns a pair of SAFE shoes too.

Shukin
08-22-12, 4:57 pm
I got black shoes...Shaw has a pair of white ones.

Yeah, Tony Harris is from the old skool and owns a pair of SAFE shoes too.

Thanks Higa, sorry about all the questions, it's just that I like to ask those in the know before I invest.

HIGA MONSTER
08-22-12, 5:52 pm
Thanks Higa, sorry about all the questions, it's just that I like to ask those in the know before I invest.
No problem.

I have had my SAFE shoes since 1999, FYI. They are still rockin!

HIGA MONSTER
08-29-12, 10:10 pm
I set this challenge up at my work gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwxAyIzb1uw

The best I could do is 1:14 minutes. Tried to beat it today, but no dice.

The best time by Women so far is 2:19 minutes; and 2:09 minutes by the Men.

HIGA MONSTER

SailinScotty
08-30-12, 10:10 am

HIGA MONSTER

That definitely looks challenging. Maybe you should've read the Oprah magazine to distract you.

Kowboy
08-30-12, 10:25 am

HIGA MONSTER

Gonna try this at home, however I foresee a 4 year old and a 10 month old climbing on me while I try it so it may get interesting.

HIGA MONSTER
08-30-12, 8:39 pm
That definitely looks challenging. Maybe you should've read the Oprah magazine to distract you.

Gonna try this at home, however I foresee a 4 year old and a 10 month old climbing on me while I try it so it may get interesting.
Its deceivingly hard!

Just make sure the top of your thighs are paralell before you lift a foot up.
Its crazy at how strong one leg is then the other.

Mattman33
08-30-12, 8:42 pm
Its deceivingly hard!

Just make sure the top of your thighs are paralell before you lift a foot up.
Its crazy at how strong one leg is then the other.

my 10 year old son just beat me on both legs with this....

HIGA MONSTER
08-30-12, 8:46 pm
my 10 year old son just beat me on both legs with this....
Haha!

My client posted a time of 2:21 mins today. WTF? Skinny yoga bitch!

HIGA MONSTER
09-13-12, 12:09 am
This Friday is the season premier of "The Ultimate Fighter 16" on F/X at 9pm EST/PST.

http://www.ultimatefighter.com/

My friend & brother, Bristol Marunde, is in the house this season. And I hope he fuckin smashed some heads on the way to the Finale.

As you all know, Bristol is the younger brother of the late strongman, Jesse Marunde.
If you look on the gallery of fighters on the link above, he is number #31 in the photo gallery of the TUF 16 fighters.
This Friday 9/14 is also the birthday of Jesse Marunde. How crazy is that shit?

I am chomping at the bit to see what goes down because I have not heard from Bristol in 6 weeks. We hope that he WHOOPED FUCKIN ASS!

Set that DVR and know thats the little brother of Jesse Marunde fighting.
You can see a tattoo on his right chest of Jesse loading an Atlas Stone.

BRING THE FUCKIN PAIN BRISTOL!

Shukin
09-13-12, 1:50 am
This Friday is the season premier of "The Ultimate Fighter 16" on F/X at 9pm EST/PST.

My friend & brother, Bristol Marunde, is in the house this season. And I hope he fuckin smashed some heads on the way to the Finale.

As you all know, Bristol is the younger brother of the late strongman, Jesse Marunde.
If you look on the gallery of fighters on the link above, he is number #31 in the photo gallery of the TUF 16 fighters.

I am chomping at the bit to see what goes down because I have not heard from Bristol in 6 weeks. We hope that he WHOOPED FUCKIN ASS!

BRING THE FUCKIN PAIN BRISTOL!
OH MY GOD!
Setting the dvr fo sho!
Will He be sporting his Bulky Boy stuff or does he have to wear Tap Out?
Will Higa Monster make a special appearance?

GUNS
09-13-12, 10:03 am

BRING THE FUCKIN PAIN BRISTOL!This is awesome Higa! will be watching!

HIGA MONSTER
09-13-12, 11:37 am
OH MY GOD!
Setting the dvr fo sho!
Will Higa Monster make a special appearance?

This is awesome Higa! will be watching!
I can't fuckin wait!

HIGA

Shukin
09-13-12, 3:49 pm
I can't fuckin wait!

HIGA

Been telling every one who comes into the shop.

HIGA MONSTER
09-14-12, 5:27 pm
My tribute workout this morning for my fallen brother.

This was one of the hardest things I have ever fuckin done. Respect to strongmanwod.com for this brutal workout.

http://youtu.be/paTCRQ4Z51I

HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
09-14-12, 7:25 pm
My tribute workout this morning for my fallen brother.

This was one of the hardest things I have ever fuckin done. Respect to strongmanwod.com for this brutal workout.

http://youtu.be/paTCRQ4Z51I

HIGA MONSTER

great workout. what a way to pay a tribute! just awesome...

Shukin
09-14-12, 11:37 pm
Awesome job, awesome support group.

HIGA MONSTER
09-14-12, 11:57 pm
great workout. what a way to pay a tribute! just awesome...

Awesome job, awesome support group.
Thanks alot guys...that was a gut check for sure.

I just got an email from Rob Orlando. Owner of "Hybrid Athletics" and strongmanWOD.com
He thought the video was fantastic and will post it on their site tomorrow! Way cool and truly an honor.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
09-15-12, 11:10 am
Thanks alot guys...that was a gut check for sure.

I just got an email from Rob Orlando. Owner of "Hybrid Athletics" and strongmanWOD.com
He thought the video was fantastic and will post it on their site tomorrow! Way cool and truly an honor.

HIGA MONSTER

Nice work Higa.

RedlegDbell
09-15-12, 11:40 am
Very cool video Grant. The thought of carrying that bar over my head for 40 or 50 feet hurts my delts haha. Really admire the way you honor Jesse, and you doubled up with the 315x110 deadlift too.
How is your deadlift training been going or is it on hold b/c of the Gatineau Comp?
I would also like your advice on the Grace wod. I'm going to start doing this after my 5/3/1 ohp. Do you think I should do this every week as assistance work?

HIGA MONSTER
09-15-12, 11:56 am
Very cool video Grant. The thought of carrying that bar over my head for 40 or 50 feet hurts my delts haha. Really admire the way you honor Jesse, and you doubled up with the 315x110 deadlift too.
How is your deadlift training been going or is it on hold b/c of the Gatineau Comp?
I would also like your advice on the Grace wod. I'm going to start doing this after my 5/3/1 ohp. Do you think I should do this every week as assistance work?
I will start deadlifting again next week! I can finally make a fist on my right hand without feeling like it was still splitting my skin. And it didn't bother me when I did 100 FUCKIN BURPEES YESTERDAY...Wtf? Lol

Don't do the "Grace" WOD every week.
I think its great to do it every once in a while to shock your system and mentally challenge you. Maybe every couple of months? Keep track of what your time was to finish, so that you can beat it the next time your try Grace.

Instead, focus on doing proper form on your Power Cleans & Press so that you can hit a max weight with crisp form.
As well as doing other exercises for your overhead press.

Like I said before, I like adding some of the CrossFit WOD's into my training every once in a while.
I really believe it helps with building mental confidence & a serious gut check to get through some of those WOD's. Which transfers into my strongman training...cause if I can get through a WOD that seems fuckin impossible, it will help me in strongman.

My two cents!
HIGA MONSTER

RedlegDbell
09-15-12, 5:41 pm
I will start deadlifting again next week! I can finally make a fist on my right hand without feeling like it was still splitting my skin. And it didn't bother me when I did 100 FUCKIN BURPEES YESTERDAY...Wtf? Lol

Don't do the "Grace" WOD every week.
I think its great to do it every once in a while to shock your system and mentally challenge you. Maybe every couple of months? Keep track of what your time was to finish, so that you can beat it the next time your try Grace.

Instead, focus on doing proper form on your Power Cleans & Press so that you can hit a max weight with crisp form.
As well as doing other exercises for your overhead press.

Like I said before, I like adding some of the CrossFit WOD's into my training every once in a while.
I really believe it helps with building mental confidence & a serious gut check to get through some of those WOD's. Which transfers into my strongman training...cause if I can get through a WOD that seems fuckin impossible, it will help me in strongman.

My two cents!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks Grant. Trebin worked on clean and press form with me at our Middletown ABC. I need to practice that for sure. I was mostly strict pressing the first time I did the grace and it took me 8:35.

HIGA MONSTER
09-16-12, 11:58 pm
Thanks Grant. Trebin worked on clean and press form with me at our Middletown ABC. I need to practice that for sure. I was mostly strict pressing the first time I did the grace and it took me 8:35.
Yeah, if you do "Grace" you need to do it as fast as possible WITH locking it out.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
09-23-12, 12:39 am
5 of them competed in the "7th Mt Rainier's Strongest man/woman" contest today.

Owner/Coach Ryan Riess placed 3rd overall in the Middleweight division!
There was 20 guys in his class.

Coach Katie Inserra placed 4th overall in the HW Women division!

Still not sure of the other placings by Joe Lopez, Marianna Jackson and Nick Grover...will advise.

Grover said he KILLED the Yoke Walk portion of the "Yoke Walk-Chin-ups" WOD.
He finished it in 4 minutes.

Riess also did 6 rounds in the "Axle Deadlift-Bar Burpee" WOD in 3 minutes!

Proud to be a part of this gym...even if its a CrossFit gym.
My brothers & sisters that make up the members/coaching staff are fuckin elite and were willing to put their necks out & try this Strongman contest.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
09-23-12, 2:04 am
5 of them competed in the "7th Mt Rainier's Strongest man/woman" contest today.

Owner/Coach Ryan Riess placed 3rd overall in the Middleweight division!
There was 20 guys in his class.

Coach Katie Inserra placed 4th overall in the HW Women division!

Still not sure of the other placings by Joe Lopez, Marianna Jackson and Nick Grover...will advise.

Grover said he KILLED the Yoke Walk portion of the "Yoke Walk-Chin-ups" WOD.
He finished it in 4 minutes.

Riess also did 6 rounds in the "Axle Deadlift-Bar Burpee" WOD in 3 minutes!

Proud to be a part of this gym...even if its a CrossFit gym.
My brothers & sisters that make up the members/coaching staff are fuckin elite and were willing to put their necks out & try this Strongman contest.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER
Very cool Higa, give them a hug congratulations from us.

HIGA MONSTER
10-07-12, 2:07 am
I picked him up after pre-judging. He looks fuckin great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmSPJy4nW0&feature=youtu.be

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

GUNS
10-07-12, 11:34 am
That's cool you guys could hook up, and those falls are badass!

World Eater
10-07-12, 12:49 pm
Nice shoes on The House, haha. Are you gonna train together Higa?

HIGA MONSTER
10-07-12, 6:57 pm
That's cool you guys could hook up, and those falls are badass!

Nice shoes on The House, haha. Are you gonna train together Higa?
Nope, we couldn't workout.

House was on a crazy whirlwind schedule.

He flew in on Friday night after 11pm. I picked him up after Pre-judging was over at Noon, took him to the Falls, he had to be back at the casino at 5pm.
THEN do his guest posing, then fly out at 6am this morning from Seattle.

Still glad I got to see him, even if it was short.
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
10-11-12, 5:55 pm
Hello Higa,
i was wondering if you could recommend any books or dvd's on strongman?

GoldieLocks
10-13-12, 6:28 pm
Grant..... I miss you :) You really are the glue that keeps the Pacific Northwest together.

HIGA MONSTER
10-13-12, 11:48 pm
Grant..... I miss you :) You really are the glue that keeps the Pacific Northwest together.
Wassup girlfriend?

Miss you too! We need to hook up again for an ABC soon!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
10-13-12, 11:49 pm
http://youtu.be/1K8KhT_Fyyc

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
10-13-12, 11:53 pm
http://youtu.be/1K8KhT_Fyyc

HIGA MONSTER

Did you send that to PanterA?

HIGA MONSTER
10-14-12, 1:41 am
http://youtu.be/K1pZ6IQcwho

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
10-14-12, 7:26 am
Great video Higa, thank you for keeping us posted.

HIGA MONSTER
10-14-12, 11:11 pm
Great video Higa, thank you for keeping us posted.
No worries, wish I could have seen more but I only caught the Deadlifts.

Had a soccer game to attend for my daughter and Locals Gym is about an hour north of my house.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
10-18-12, 9:41 am
Just booked my flight, no turning back now!

HIGA MONSTER
10-18-12, 9:45 am
Just booked my flight, no turning back now!
Great news bro! Train hard!

HIGA MONSTER

GUNS
10-18-12, 9:46 am
Glad to see this! At least you committed quicker than me! hahaha!

HIGA MONSTER
10-18-12, 9:51 am
Glad to see this! At least you committed quicker than me! hahaha!
Then book a flight fool! TEST THE DEEP WATER...

lol

GUNS
10-18-12, 1:45 pm
Would love too, but already heading up north for the DE ABC! Maybe something in the future!

HIGA MONSTER
10-29-12, 1:35 am
http://youtu.be/-yOzTX28JNY

HIGA MONSTER

GUNS
10-29-12, 9:48 am
7:48, "hey, so do you lift weights normally" Bahahahahahahahahahaha!

Shukin
11-10-12, 9:29 pm
I thought you might be of assistance in this thread;
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?39766-Atlas-Stone-Size

Mattman33
12-28-12, 8:55 am
Looks like Rob did Grace again...4:48 with a 145 pound stone. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K3bEsZ0IR00#!)

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-12, 10:44 am
Looks like Rob did Grace again...4:48 with a 145 pound stone. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K3bEsZ0IR00#!)
Sick!

I like how after he did rep #10 he said, "Oh boy..." Shows how tough that WOD is.

WTF is wrong with the fool that commented on his video and said "you should try to lift with more of a flat back..."?

Thanks for the link! I have not been on his site for a while.
HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
12-28-12, 2:59 pm
Sick!

I like how after he did rep #10 he said, "Oh boy..." Shows how tough that WOD is.

WTF is wrong with the fool that commented on his video and said "you should try to lift with more of a flat back..."?

Thanks for the link! I have not been on his site for a while.
HIGA MONSTER

i was thinking the same thing about the comment. You know he has you by 13 seconds now...come on, i know you can beat that time.

HIGA MONSTER
02-06-13, 3:46 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOC7LjBfBMc&feature=youtu.be

J-Dawg
02-06-13, 4:00 pm
Awesome vid HIGA. That's some serious one-arm DB fat grip pressing!

HIGA MONSTER
02-06-13, 4:28 pm
Awesome vid HIGA. That's some serious one-arm DB fat grip pressing!
He just started training with me and eccy about 3 weeks ago.

Last week, he could only do that weight for 1 rep.

J-Dawg
02-06-13, 5:07 pm
He just started training with me and eccy about 3 weeks ago.

Last week, he could only do that weight for 1 rep.

Man, that is awesome. Kids got heart!

HIGA MONSTER
02-06-13, 5:38 pm
Man, that is awesome. Kids got heart!
He lost his arm in a Industrial accident.

Not sure how long ago but he is a friend of eccy.
eccy brought him by Imperial one day and joined our crew.

We even have him do Squats with a weighted vest on.
eccy rigged up a heavy Kettlebell onto his weighted vest on Monday so that he can squat some heavier poundage.

HIGA MONSTER

GUNS
02-06-13, 5:46 pm
Awesome work on him Higa! Insiration for everyone!

I have seen a pic on facebook that shows a guy who has about 6" of his upper arm, and he is still doing front squats! Might be a way he can squat?

HIGA MONSTER
02-06-13, 8:07 pm
Awesome work on him Higa! Insiration for everyone!

I have seen a pic on facebook that shows a guy who has about 6" of his upper arm, and he is still doing front squats! Might be a way he can squat?
We set him up on the Safety Bar Squat, and it works well for him.

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
02-06-13, 8:24 pm
That is awesome, def an inspiration for me. That shit is what keeps me going ya know. You are a great dude higa.

GUNS
02-06-13, 8:27 pm
We set him up on the Safety Bar Squat, and it works well for him.

HIGA MONSTER

Awesome!

HIGA MONSTER
02-07-13, 9:42 am
That is awesome, def an inspiration for me. That shit is what keeps me going ya know. You are a great dude higa.
I don't deserve the credit...eccy is his friend and encouraged him to come and workout with us. Thats how I met him.

Bryan loved it so much that he quit LA Fitness and officially joined Imperial CrossFit earlier this week!

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
02-07-13, 9:48 am
NICE! LA Fatness is a scary and crappy place to train!

Kowboy
02-07-13, 10:26 am
I don't deserve the credit...eccy is his friend and encouraged him to come and workout with us. Thats how I met him.

Bryan loved it so much that he quit LA Fitness and officially joined Imperial CrossFit earlier this week!

HIGA MONSTER

That is awesome man, the gym you go to makes all the difference in the world.

Higa, I tried ring dips last night and got 1 full rep lol not a huge accomplishment but that was insanely hard.

Altered Beast
02-07-13, 12:05 pm
That is awesome man, the gym you go to makes all the difference in the world.

Higa, I tried ring dips last night and got 1 full rep lol not a huge accomplishment but that was insanely hard.

I think you've uncovered your weak point!

Kowboy
02-07-13, 12:12 pm
I think you've uncovered your weak point!

normal dips aren't a problem but man swinging on those rings is a whole new beast. I am def gonna try to do them some more. before long i will be competing in the crossfit games!

Altered Beast
02-07-13, 12:14 pm
normal dips aren't a problem but man swinging on those rings is a whole new beast. I am def gonna try to do them some more. Before long i will be competing in the crossfit games!

no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kowboy
02-07-13, 12:16 pm

When you come up for the arnold we are going to do wall balls, kipping pull ups and more!

Altered Beast
02-07-13, 12:17 pm
When you come up for the arnold we are going to do wall balls, kipping pull ups and more!

.................................................. .

I know you're kidding.

HIGA MONSTER
02-08-13, 11:20 am
lmao

HIGA MONSTER
02-08-13, 11:21 am
That would be a great video to film for sure...I would get 5,000 hits on YouTube in 1 day.

HIGA MONSTER

skibasgym
02-09-13, 9:49 pm
Been in the Cage 3 times with the man!!!!True strongman and powerful beast!!!!
Henri
skibasgym

HIGA MONSTER
02-10-13, 11:25 am
Been in the Cage 3 times with the man!!!!True strongman and powerful beast!!!!
Henri
skibasgym
Looking forward to seeing you Henri!

Soon brah!
HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
02-11-13, 9:30 am
Thought you might like this video if you haven't seen it yet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=4rZfsry5GRM

HIGA MONSTER
02-11-13, 10:14 am
Thought you might like this video if you haven't seen it yet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=4rZfsry5GRM
Great video. Thanks for sharing Shukin.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
02-11-13, 9:14 pm
This guy was flying behind me on I-5 south by Boeing Field, then I see he has a UNIVERSAL sticker on his back window.

Maybe had a too much Animal Rage...

He was a Marine too cuz he had Marine Corp plates on his GMC truck.

SailinScotty
02-12-13, 11:15 am
This guy was flying behind me on I-5 south by Boeing Field, then I see he has a UNIVERSAL sticker on his back window.

He had 30 minutes to get to the gym or it would've worn off.

Shukin
02-12-13, 11:23 am

He had 30 minutes to get to the gym or it would've worn off.

I think it was Mr. Dead

Altered Beast
02-12-13, 12:13 pm
Higa is already sounding like a grumpy old bastard =)

HIGA MONSTER
02-12-13, 2:13 pm
Higa is already sounding like a grumpy old bastard =)
Whatever!

I was doing 65mph and this guy was at least doing 75mph while zig-zagging through traffic.

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
02-12-13, 2:25 pm
Whatever!

I was doing 65mph and this guy was at least doing 75mph while zig-zagging through traffic.

HIGA MONSTER

I love getting in front of these guys and just chillin in the fast lane next to a Semi.

Altered Beast
02-12-13, 3:26 pm
Whatever!

HIGA MONSTER

LOL!

I love getting in front of these guys and just chillin in the fast lane next to a Semi.

So your one of those guys, eh?

Mattman33
02-23-13, 1:56 pm
ever try a partner GRACE workout with the log? Each person does 30 clean and press reps with the log. Usually in a 1:1 ratio...

We did 165 in under 9 minutes....It was brutal.

HIGA MONSTER
02-23-13, 10:40 pm
ever try a partner GRACE workout with the log? Each person does 30 clean and press reps with the log. Usually in a 1:1 ratio...

We did 165 in under 9 minutes....It was brutal.
Jeezus!

What diameter of Log? What is the Rx for it? That sounds nuts bro.

HIGA MONSTER

Mattman33
02-24-13, 6:45 am
Jeezus!

What diameter of Log? What is the Rx for it? That sounds nuts bro.

HIGA MONSTER

Rx is 135. We used a 12 inch diameter log. We did 1 rep for 1 rep until we got down to our last 6 reps
We then did 2 reps each to get it down. The guy that i worked with is a beast and has his sights set on making the games this year.

Mattman33
02-24-13, 3:19 pm
the video is lousy as it was sent through a phone. i am trying to get him to upload a better quality...

165# Log Partner Grace- Each person is doing 30 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCvI_TX5HzA

hulkish808
03-04-13, 2:12 pm
Howzit Higa Monster, it's Jasen from the Nubreed booth (Eric Decaire's buddy). It was nice meeting ya. I wanted to stop by and pick up some shirts but it got so busy on Saturday and Sunday that I didn't get to. I found out that my former supervisor and friend, Clayton is your cousin! I'm also friends with your other cousin, Chris (Morty). Haha small world! Just wondering if there's a way to stay in touch and contact you brotha.

Mahalos!

Mattman33
03-04-13, 8:18 pm
Here is one for you that my local crossfit is doing....

Martin Rooney’s “Mantathlon”:
There are five events performed:

Bodyweight Bench Press for Reps (.75 for women)
Bodyweight Chin-ups for Reps (Kipping for women only)
Half-Bodyweight Overhead Press for Reps (.35 women)
1.25 Bodyweight Dips for Reps (Bodyweight for women)
Half-Bodyweight Barbell Curl for Reps (that’s right, curls!, .35 for women)
You get one attempt for maximal reps during the competition.

Rules:
Once you start your bench press test the clock begins. You have 20 minutes to complete all the tests. Any repetitions completed after 20 minutes have elapsed won’t count toward your point total.

You must perform the tests in order, but the rest you take between tests is up to you. I suggest 3-4 minutes between each test, but keep an eye on the clock so you don’t run out of time for curls. Start by weighing in beforehand. Just like any other time, full range of motion is required, NO half reps.

Scoring
A very important point: if you reach 20 repetitions on any exercise, that’s the maximum score. Even if you can do more, 20 signifies the end.

Once you’ve performed all five events or run out of time, add up your total number of reps. A total score of 100 is the ultimate goal for this test.

Below is a rating scale:

0-10 – Low Man on totem pole
10-20 – Skinny Man or Man Boobs
20-30 – Average Man
30-40 – Wing Man
40-50 – Door Man
50-60 – Athletic Man
60-70 – He Man
70-80 – Super Man
80-90 – Mega Man
90-100 – Man of War

HIGA MONSTER
03-05-13, 2:08 pm
Howzit Higa Monster, it's Jasen from the Nubreed booth (Eric Decaire's buddy). It was nice meeting ya. I wanted to stop by and pick up some shirts but it got so busy on Saturday and Sunday that I didn't get to. I found out that my former supervisor and friend, Clayton is your cousin! I'm also friends with your other cousin, Chris (Morty). Haha small world! Just wondering if there's a way to stay in touch and contact you brotha.

Mahalos!
Howzit braddah?

Good to meet you too! Send me a PM brah and we can exchange info.

Hope you had a safe trip back home to O'ahu.
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-05-13, 2:09 pm
Here is one for you that my local crossfit is doing....

Martin Rooney’s “Mantathlon”:
There are five events performed:

Bodyweight Bench Press for Reps (.75 for women)
Bodyweight Chin-ups for Reps (Kipping for women only)
Half-Bodyweight Overhead Press for Reps (.35 women)
1.25 Bodyweight Dips for Reps (Bodyweight for women)
Half-Bodyweight Barbell Curl for Reps (that’s right, curls!, .35 for women)
You get one attempt for maximal reps during the competition.

Rules:
Once you start your bench press test the clock begins. You have 20 minutes to complete all the tests. Any repetitions completed after 20 minutes have elapsed won’t count toward your point total.

You must perform the tests in order, but the rest you take between tests is up to you. I suggest 3-4 minutes between each test, but keep an eye on the clock so you don’t run out of time for curls. Start by weighing in beforehand. Just like any other time, full range of motion is required, NO half reps.

Scoring
A very important point: if you reach 20 repetitions on any exercise, that’s the maximum score. Even if you can do more, 20 signifies the end.

Once you’ve performed all five events or run out of time, add up your total number of reps. A total score of 100 is the ultimate goal for this test.

Below is a rating scale:

0-10 – Low Man on totem pole
10-20 – Skinny Man or Man Boobs
20-30 – Average Man
30-40 – Wing Man
40-50 – Door Man
50-60 – Athletic Man
60-70 – He Man
70-80 – Super Man
80-90 – Mega Man
90-100 – Man of War
Holy shit...I will pass this on to the owners of Imperial!

HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
03-05-13, 2:23 pm
I am gonna have to cut down to try that one...lol

Altered Beast
03-05-13, 3:40 pm
TREB! No crossdressfit, OK!

smoothballer
03-05-13, 8:42 pm
Always great to see you Higa and thanks so much for the tips on the log press and the Stones. Can't wait to do more strongman training.

HIGA MONSTER
03-13-13, 5:30 pm
Always great to see you Higa and thanks so much for the tips on the log press and the Stones. Can't wait to do more strongman training.
yeah man, that was fun at Beyond Limits!

Anytime...keep me posted.
HIGA MONSTER

B.S.
05-30-13, 1:14 pm
You still up in WA? moving up to the Issaquah area in two weeks and wondering about gyms in the area. havent been around for awhile but from what i remember a lot of universal guys up there.

HIGA MONSTER
06-01-13, 10:38 pm
You still up in WA? moving up to the Issaquah area in two weeks and wondering about gyms in the area. havent been around for awhile but from what i remember a lot of universal guys up there.
Yeah bro! I live only 20 mins away from Issaquah.

There is a Gold's Gym on Front St in Issaquah. FYI

Hit me up when you are in town. I am promoting the "Washington's Strongest Apple 6" on June 22nd if you are around. Come by and check it out! FREE

HIGA MONSTER

rocky36
06-09-13, 7:27 pm
I want to start doing yoke walks in my training, my gym doesnt have a yoke, i plan on using just a regular barbell.. how would that carry over when the time comes to do it on a real yoke?

HIGA MONSTER
06-10-13, 12:03 am
I want to start doing yoke walks in my training, my gym doesnt have a yoke, i plan on using just a regular barbell.. how would that carry over when the time comes to do it on a real yoke?
Its not the same bro.

Before I had a Yoke, I tried walking with 405 lbs on a barbell and swung chains on the ends of the bar.
Used to walk that across the gym...WTF?

Then when I first tried an actual Yoke, it was night & day.

You should see if you can hook up with someone near where you live to train with an actual Yoke.
HIGA MONSTER

rocky36
06-10-13, 12:28 am
thats actually exactly what i did, is the yoke harder? i plan on getting one myself later in the summer but until then i need to work with what my gym has and its just the basics

HIGA MONSTER
06-11-13, 1:37 am
thats actually exactly what i did, is the yoke harder? i plan on getting one myself later in the summer but until then i need to work with what my gym has and its just the basics
Yoke is way harder bro. Completely different.

I can't explain it until you actually try it.

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
06-11-13, 9:17 am

Combine the pains of both Squatting and Deadlifting, that is what the Yoke is like!

P Diesel
06-11-13, 9:19 am
the yoke is its own entity. nuthin like anything else u will experience. especially as it gets heavier.

P

Mattman33
06-17-13, 5:59 pm
thought you might like this...

http://www.nj.com/south-jersey-towns/index.ssf/2013/06/students_test_strength_at_quar.html#incart_river

HIGA MONSTER
06-18-13, 9:47 am
thought you might like this...

http://www.nj.com/south-jersey-towns/index.ssf/2013/06/students_test_strength_at_quar.html#incart_river
Thats awesome!

That little nylon rope must have been murder on their hands though pulling that truck! LOL

Mattman33
06-18-13, 12:32 pm
Thats awesome!

That little nylon rope must have been murder on their hands though pulling that truck! LOL

it was actually a pretty tough tug of war rope. the handles made it pretty easy to hold on.

HIGA MONSTER
08-26-13, 11:05 am
Not sure what to expect but staying focused on the goal.

Me & Kristyn Whisman (3-times America's Strongest Woman LW) will be headed to Monroe Correctional Center to do a strongman demonstration in the Big Yard.

Kristyn is the Dean of Education there at the prison and did this 2 years ago as part of their "Diversity Fair"
This year, she asked if I could attend cause she thought it would be cool to have a Pro Strongman.

I can't help but feel the anxiety but my goal is to have some type of positive impact on the inmates.
Especially when we are doing this in the middle of the Rec Yard.

Kristyn has assured me that there will be a lot of Guards on premise by us, but it's kinda crazy to think that the only thing I can bring with me into the Prison is my Driver's License.
Everything else must stay in the car.

Keep you posted. I hope to make an impact...even if its 1 or 2 prisoners.
Kristyn said that the greatest thing to see was the Blacks, Whites, Latinos and Asian inmates cheering each other on while trying the strongman lifts. Thats our goal.

We will be having some of the inmates try a Log Press, Farmers Walk and Axle Deadlift.

The fellas at Corporate have generously donated some ANIMAL wrist wraps and lifting straps.
These will be inventoried and kept in the gym only. I hope that when they exercise, they realize that we as a Company are trying to help even people that may have took the wrong path in life. Maybe their lives will be impacted from the presence of Animal...

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

GoldieLocks
08-27-13, 9:35 am
If anyone can make a positive impact, it's you :)
Have a great time and again, thank you for being such an amazing ambassador.
It's pretty cool to see you two team up and change some lives.

HIGA MONSTER
08-27-13, 9:56 am
If anyone can make a positive impact, it's you :)
Have a great time and again, thank you for being such an amazing ambassador.
It's pretty cool to see you two team up and change some lives.
Thanks baby!

Looking forward to it.
HIGA MONSTER

Kowboy
08-27-13, 10:46 am
That is awesome Higa, such a cool thing to do. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Rogue
09-08-13, 3:10 am
Grant, how did the outreach demo go? Bet those guys were loving the strongman stuff.

HIGA MONSTER
09-13-13, 12:42 am
Grant, how did the outreach demo go? Bet those guys were loving the strongman stuff.
It was a crazy experience.

An article will be posted soon. I already typed it and sent it to Corp last week, so be on the lookout.

HIGA MONSTER

skibasgym
09-20-13, 8:42 pm
Grant is personable,approachable and COCK STRONG!
SEVERAL meetings have always been the same. A big smile,a hearty welcome and a genuine hug from a man as big as a bear and strong as one too.
I wish him good luck and success at this strong man contest. He is atrue champion and ambassador or STRONG MAN TRAINING.

HENRI SKIBA
SKIBASGYM

Rogue
09-28-13, 4:34 am
It was a crazy experience.

An article will be posted soon. I already typed it and sent it to Corp last week, so be on the lookout.

HIGA MONSTER

Nice job on the article, Higa. Sorry you got rained out, but it sounds like you made a positive impact with what little time you had.

Cheryl

HIGA MONSTER
10-04-13, 11:46 pm
Grant is personable,approachable and COCK STRONG!
SEVERAL meetings have always been the same. A big smile,a hearty welcome and a genuine hug from a man as big as a bear and strong as one too.
I wish him good luck and success at this strong man contest. He is atrue champion and ambassador or STRONG MAN TRAINING.

HENRI SKIBA
SKIBASGYM
Henri,

Sorry for this late response. Your words were very genuine and I appreciate hearing it from you.
Look forward to seeing you soon man!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
10-04-13, 11:47 pm
Nice job on the article, Higa. Sorry you got rained out, but it sounds like you made a positive impact with what little time you had.

Cheryl
Thanks alot Cheryl.

The prison actually sent me a "Thank you" letter that I need to forward to Corp. It made it all worth it to be in the rain.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

B.S.
12-15-13, 9:59 pm
doubt you will get this in time but if you are around tomorrow id like to see what Imperial Crossfit is all about.

HIGA MONSTER
12-15-13, 10:05 pm
doubt you will get this in time but if you are around tomorrow id like to see what Imperial Crossfit is all about.
Yo!

I will be there tomorrow at Imperial from 8:30am-10:30am if you wanna drop by.
You need to sign a Waiver and its a $20 drop-in fee bro.

Wear warm clothes cause there is no heat in the gym.
I am squatting tomorrow, getting ready for RUM 7.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-21-14, 6:30 pm
Check out Magnus ver Magnusson rocking the ANIMAL beanie and Universal t-shirt in this video...

http://youtu.be/8A7woRoVwyM

TheVegetarianStrongman
03-21-14, 11:19 pm
Check out Magnus ver Magnusson rocking the ANIMAL beanie and Universal t-shirt in this video...

http://youtu.be/8A7woRoVwyM

Just watched the whole vid, great stuff!!

Rogue
05-06-14, 9:47 pm
Grant, is there some place more appropriate than this forum to ask question regarding WA Strongest Apple this year?

All I could find for info was the official entry form, and that left me with a few questions:

I'd be 180 women's class, I'm 45 if that matters (said something about "masters" on the entry form), is that heavy weight or middle weight for this contest? (wondering because that would tell me the weights for the advertised events). Also, on the axle C&P, is it ground to overhead every rep, or clean it once, then just overhead for reps? In case it's not from the ground every time, can you push press or jerk from behind the neck after the first rep?

I haven't done a strongman competition before, but I train at Rainier CF, so we have all the toys...I figure there's hope IF I can carry the yoke. Hoping it's okay for a first contest, and it looks like fun.

If there's an FAQ somewhere that I missed, or another forum for this, I'll understand and appreciate it if you (or anyone who knows) can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Rogue
05-07-14, 12:51 am
Disregard, sorry. Not sure how I missed the obvious email address on the entry form. I'm like a genius, only dumber.

HIGA MONSTER
05-20-14, 10:02 am
Disregard, sorry. Not sure how I missed the obvious email address on the entry form. I'm like a genius, only dumber.
LOL, no worries girl!

Great to meet you last week. See you soon!
HIGA MONSTER

Dman
06-22-14, 4:38 am
Grant what's up! So apologize if this was already answered, I'm looking to get into Strongman I'm coming over with little but some experience from powerlifting, I'm just looking to get all around stronger & would love to start competing in some strongman contests & train strongman style I really like the idea of it. Basically what would you say I could as a beginner focus on the most?(sorry if this is a bit long.)

HIGA MONSTER
06-23-14, 4:39 pm
Grant what's up! So apologize if this was already answered, I'm looking to get into Strongman I'm coming over with little but some experience from powerlifting, I'm just looking to get all around stronger & would love to start competing in some strongman contests & train strongman style I really like the idea of it. Basically what would you say I could as a beginner focus on the most?(sorry if this is a bit long.)
Whats up bro?

I would start doing some Overhead work with a Log, Axle or Dumbbell.
Yoke Walks with light weight to work on your technique and not drop it.
Grip work: Farmers Walks
Stones would be good too. Especially if you have never touched a stone.

Focus on learning good technique, and not heavy weight.
There are alot of Strongmen in Colorado, so check the NAS website to see if you can workout with others who have experience.

Keep me posted!
HIGA MONSTER

Dman
06-23-14, 7:26 pm
Whats up bro?

I would start doing some Overhead work with a Log, Axle or Dumbbell.
Yoke Walks with light weight to work on your technique and not drop it.
Grip work: Farmers Walks
Stones would be good too. Especially if you have never touched a stone.

Focus on learning good technique, and not heavy weight.
There are alot of Strongmen in Colorado, so check the NAS website to see if you can workout with others who have experience.

Keep me posted!
HIGA MONSTER

Right on HIGA MONSTER thank you tons!! I will definitely start to work on all those basics as soon as I can & I'll have to check out the NAS website as well.Thank you again for the solid tips bro!!