PDA

View Full Version : Higa's Strong Men

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

HIGA MONSTER
06-23-09, 11:42 am
Whats up Animals?

My name is Grant Higa. I'm a pro ptrongman up here in the Seattle area. Just wanted to introduce myself to my fellow bros of iron, and let you know that I will be posting here in regards to strongman training, or any upcoming contests.

Even though I compete in strongman, I sometimes have to take a bodybuilding approach to my training. Especially, in the offseason. This helps with my muscular endurance. I believe that some of my strongman event training can be beneficial to all you Animals on the FORVM too. Let me tell you, flipping a 800 lb tire for a 100 feet, builds SICK work capacity.

Hope to chat with a few of you Animals soon.

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER.

Mr. Dead
06-23-09, 2:22 pm
Hey, Brother!!! Great to see ya on here!!! We met at the Emerald Cup... Rage and I were working the booth....

Wasteland
06-23-09, 2:29 pm
Welcome Higa Monster. It's nice to have a strongman competitor here, one who understands the bodybuilding mentality.

Hollow
06-23-09, 3:06 pm
Welcome to the forvm HIGA MONSTER!

G Diesel
06-23-09, 4:43 pm
Looking forward to learning the ways of the strongman... Welcome aboard Higa.

Peace, G

Young&Hungry
06-23-09, 4:44 pm
Great to have you here bro. I guess the first question will come from me. Now that you mention tires, I've really been struggling with mine. How would you suggest working on efficiency with the transition phase on heavier tires? I have a video from my last show if you'd like to see my technique. I can crack tires within my range off the ground with ease, yet when it's time to bring the knee through it just doesn't time right and I bring it in at an awkward time, causing me to have the tire rest on my knee and have to fight to flip it. I know you have to fight harder for heavier tires but I feel like I could be more efficient with my knee.

ghost
06-23-09, 4:46 pm
Great to have you on here HIGA!!

dominate77
06-23-09, 4:49 pm
Whats up Grant! i met you when you came to our gym in Hood River, it was awesome having someone with that much strength in for the day. Never seen anyone squat that much in person! (Can't remember if it was 6 or 7 plates, but it was nuts)

Come back whenever you can!

Firedrake
06-23-09, 7:48 pm
Great to have you here! I'm not a strongman, but I love seeing the competitions. I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer!

Cstlfx
06-23-09, 8:36 pm
Welcome to the Forvm! Its always a pleasure to have more strongman on the boards. I'll probably be picking your brain in a little while.

IRBS
06-23-09, 8:57 pm
This is sweet, great to have you here bro, looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

Hoomgar
06-23-09, 10:03 pm
Whats up Animals?

My name is Grant Higa. I'm a pro ptrongman up here in the Seattle area. Just wanted to introduce myself to my fellow bros of iron, and let you know that I will be posting here in regards to strongman training, or any upcoming contests.

Even though I compete in strongman, I sometimes have to take a bodybuilding approach to my training. Especially, in the offseason. This helps with my muscular endurance. I believe that some of my strongman event training can be beneficial to all you Animals on the FORVM too. Let me tell you, flipping a 800 lb tire for a 100 feet, builds SICK work capacity.

Hope to chat with a few of you Animals soon.

Much aloha,
HIGA MONSTER.

Welcome Higa, it's good to have you in the ranks brother.

Hg

Aggression
06-24-09, 8:26 am
Welcome, brother. Strongman has always been a big interest of mine. I'm hungry to learn all that I can from this thread.

BryanSmash!
06-24-09, 8:56 am
Welcome! Looking forward to this.

newbreed
06-24-09, 11:15 am
Welcome. Excited to learn about strongman training.

HIGA MONSTER
06-24-09, 12:02 pm
Young & Hungry,

Tires are tricky. You can have a thick tire with good treads to grab on, but then you go to a contest with a skinnier radial tire with nothing to grab on to.

There are 2 important things I tell guys that flip tire:
DON'T BICEP CURL IT.
DON'T DEADLIFT IT & LET IT REST ON YOUR KNEE/LEG.

Sounds like the pick off the ground isn't a problem....I think you need to focus on your transition or "second pull".
Think of how the Olympic Weightlifters speed up their "second pull" when the bar goes past their knee. That explosion helps them get under the bar, with the least amount of effort. Meaning, they are using less energy by firing their traps/shoulders to get under the bar.

If you can picture yourself as a football lineman in a 4 point stance, they "fire" off the line as quick as they can.
You need to "fire" that tire off the ground as explosively as possible, so that you can transition your hands to flip it over.
You don't want it to rest on your leg. That takes too much energy out of you, and when you got to flip it for say, 10 flips, you will tire fast and possibly not finish.

Work on Hang Cleans, Hang Snatches, and Front Squats. These will help bro!
Also, make sure you lean your chest into the tire. Explode forward, not deadlift the tire straight up.

I sure would love to see your tire flip video...maybe, we can break it down for you even more.

Hope this helps brah!
HIGA.

JUGGERNAUT
06-24-09, 12:04 pm
Good stuff, welcome.

wedge
06-24-09, 2:01 pm
Welcome aboard bro. Like others have noted, I'm a fan of strongman and look forward to seeing the wisdom you'll undoubtedly pass along to us.

Young&Hungry
06-24-09, 6:38 pm
Young & Hungry,

Tires are tricky. You can have a thick tire with good treads to grab on, but then you go to a contest with a skinnier radial tire with nothing to grab on to.

There are 2 important things I tell guys that flip tire:
DON'T BICEP CURL IT.
DON'T DEADLIFT IT & LET IT REST ON YOUR KNEE/LEG.

Sounds like the pick off the ground isn't a problem....I think you need to focus on your transition or "second pull".
Think of how the Olympic Weightlifters speed up their "second pull" when the bar goes past their knee. That explosion helps them get under the bar, with the least amount of effort. Meaning, they are using less energy by firing their traps/shoulders to get under the bar.

If you can picture yourself as a football lineman in a 4 point stance, they "fire" off the line as quick as they can.
You need to "fire" that tire off the ground as explosively as possible, so that you can transition your hands to flip it over.
You don't want it to rest on your leg. That takes too much energy out of you, and when you got to flip it for say, 10 flips, you will tire fast and possibly not finish.

Work on Hang Cleans, Hang Snatches, and Front Squats. These will help bro!
Also, make sure you lean your chest into the tire. Explode forward, not deadlift the tire straight up.

I sure would love to see your tire flip video...maybe, we can break it down for you even more.

Hope this helps brah!
HIGA.

Thanks Grant, that does help a lot. You were right, I just deadlift the tire and throw it up on my knee and fight from there. I don't make it one thorough motion like you describe. The video I have from my last show was a tire that was 150lbs heavier than I've ever flipped in training, so after Saturday when I'm flipping a tire more within my practical range I'll shoot you a video. Treads do make all the difference, we have a ~600 tire that we use and it's totally smooth and has no treads. However at my show the tire had treads that I could fit my entire palm under, hence flipping a 750 easier than I do a 600. About the olympic lifts, I used to olympic lift full time before I got into PL and strongman so I have roots there. I still keep them in my program now. How do you prefer hand position? My training partners say always keep the hands as wide as possible, but I have never gotten a good base to even crack a light tire off the ground from that position.

Once again thank you.

Elite
06-24-09, 6:52 pm
This is gonna be a cracking thread. Welcome aboard Higa.

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-09, 12:38 am
Young & Hungry,

Bro, hand width on the Tire Flip depends on the bodytype, IMO.
I'm only 5' 8" tall, but I can't flip a tire with a wide grip like a guy over 6' tall. I got short arms, and I can't get enough height on a wide grip for my hand transition. I usually take a grip halfway b/w a power clean grip & snatch grip.

I really don't like when people try to tire flip with their hands narrower than shoulder width. This puts too much strain on the biceps. You don't want to risk a possible tear.

Remember too, a big tire doesn't mean its heavier than a skinnier tire.
A skinny tire can be a radial, with more plys. Lots of plys mean alot of steel fibers in the sidewall of the tire.

Great questions bro! Keep 'em coming!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-09, 12:41 am
Mr. Dead, dominate77,

Wassup guys! Its good to here that you are on this site too!
I'm excited to read all the threads from all the guys on this board.

Mahalo,
HIGA MONSTER.

weedlewott
06-25-09, 12:43 am
Hey Higa. I know this isn't a conventional strongman question, but I'm stuck at 365 on flat bench right now. I wanna put 4 plates on and push it out. Anything you can tell me to help? I would appreciate it. Thanks. Cory

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-09, 12:50 am
Weedlewott,

How's your lat strength? You can tell if a guys lats were weak in a bench press, if when he takes the bar of the rack and the bar is "shakey".
If you can't stabilize the bar out of the rack, your odds of making the lift are slim. Lats are stabilizers in the bench press.

I compare it to a guy trying to do a heavy squat...if he is shaky walking out with the bar, he's probably gonna get buried in the hole.

TRICEPS. They are necessary for the lockout. Are you hitting a sticking point in the hole, or near the middle of the press?

Lets get that 400 lb bench, and DESTROY IT!
HIGA MONSTER.

weedlewott
06-25-09, 12:58 am
Weedlewott,

How's your lat strength? You can tell if a guys lats were weak in a bench press, if when he takes the bar of the rack and the bar is "shakey".
If you can't stabilize the bar out of the rack, your odds of making the lift are slim. Lats are stabilizers in the bench press.

I compare it to a guy trying to do a heavy squat...if he is shaky walking out with the bar, he's probably gonna get buried in the hole.

TRICEPS. They are necessary for the lockout. Are you hitting a sticking point in the hole, or near the middle of the press?

Lets get that 400 lb bench, and DESTROY IT!
HIGA MONSTER.

Off the rack isn't a problem. I've got that. I don't know about lats. I've got some heavy rows (130lb DB for reps, 315 Bent Over Rows for reps) My tris are relatively strong so far as I can tell. I can hit up skull crushers for around 145 for 5. I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong in the strong part, relatively speaking of course. I usually get stuck halfway up. It varies though. I've been stuck on the bottom, and about halfway. My grip is about thumbs length outside of the smooth part in the middle. I can't go wider because my shoulders suck and I have rotator cuff issues.

Cstlfx
06-25-09, 1:02 am
Mahalo?

Where in Hawaii are you from?

prowrestler
06-25-09, 1:17 am
this is gonna be sweeet.
alrighty how about another question for ya

im gonna make it very general here, over head pressing strength, theres no question a good strong man needs a sick OHP.

now in your opinion, how should one train to have a sick overhead press? good techniques/rep ranges/ assitance exercises ect.

personly what im doin now is a 4 week kinda deal....
week 1 pushpress 3 setsx5 reps, week 2 strict press 3x5, week 3 pushpress 3x3, week 4 strict press 3x3, delaod if needed then repeat the cycle.

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-09, 11:27 am
cstlfx,
I was born in Honolulu. Then, lived 12 years in Hilo.

I've been in the Pacific Northwest since 1995.

HIGA.

Mr. Dead
06-25-09, 11:32 am
Higa Monster...
Would you be interested in hitting any of the Washington ABC's...? Most of the brothers up here are big into Power Lifting/Strong Man...

HIGA MONSTER
06-25-09, 11:50 am
prowrestler,

I'm a decent overhead presser, but here are my thoughts...

If I'm training for a contest, you know what the events are going to be.
If its a log press, then I need to do Log obviously. However, accesory work can also be dumbbell presses with palms in. The handles in the log are palms in, so this transfers well.
You can even do Incline DB presses with palms in.

If its an Axle press, or Viking press, then we need to focus on overhead with a bar.

Two kinds of pressers in Strongman: brute strict presser, or a push-press guy.
If you feel better doing one or the other, go for it. I'm a guy that likes to use my legs though, and push press. It helps me crank out a couple of extra reps, when you only have 60 seconds to do it.

I think you need to up your reps a bit in your overhead days. Try 2 sets of 15, or 3 sets of 12 on your primary movement exercises. Lets do that for 1 month, then do a Max Overhead day to see how much gain you have made for a single rep.

I also like to do overhead work twice a week. Gym work on Tuesdays, then Events on Saturdays. (Log or Axle press on Sats) I do only events on Saturdays thats why.

Strongman need to be not just strong, we need a little athleticism too. If I just benched a 500 lb for a single in the gym, my odds for doing a Log Press for reps in 60 secs might not be good. Because I might not have the muscular endurance to press 12 reps of a 275 lb Log.
Especially, my CORE strength. If I'm not used to having a log in front of me, my quads may tire while doing reps.

If you want to do strongman and think you don't need some base conditioning, you will be in for a pleasant surprise. :)
Look at Mariusz...that guy is strong, but he can frickin do some wind sprints in b/w events if you asked him too.

If any of you have access to a Log and a dragging sled, try this:
Drag a sled backwards for about 50 feet, then IMMEDIATELY try to press an empty Log for 10 reps. (175-200 lbs empty Log)
Do that for 4 sets with no rest, like a Circuit Training.
Tell me how your quads feel after that thrashing! Makes you aware of how much you need to add Front Squats to help improve your press!

Gotta go to work boyz! Have an ANIMAL day bros.
HIGA.

prowrestler
06-25-09, 1:50 pm
thats alot of good information, thanks alot man

calcaneous
06-25-09, 3:04 pm
yo higa monster,

zercher squats or front squats to help improve front lifts, such as tires, etc.

HIGA MONSTER
06-26-09, 1:20 am
calceneous,

Front Squats for sure!

I'm not a big fan of Zerchers. I just don't like them. Please don't let that deter you if you like it. I get killer tendonitis in the crook of my arms if I do them. I think I may have last did them about 4 years ago.

Thanks!
HIGA.

HIGA MONSTER
06-26-09, 1:22 am
Hey prowrestler,
I am competing in a Strongman contest in Papineauville, Quebec on July 11 and 12th. I see that you are in Montreal...if you are free that weekend, let me know!

HIGA.

Jonisocool
06-26-09, 1:54 pm
Mr. Dead, dominate77,

Wassup guys! Its good to here that you are on this site too!
I'm excited to read all the threads from all the guys on this board.

Mahalo,
HIGA MONSTER.

Sup Higa, I'm from the Bremerton area.

If you're Hawaiian and from Maple Valley, I know you know my boy Nate Hale. He plays in the north western semi pro league?

Me and my boys picked up a bunch of tires over time from the les schwabs dermo pit for free, got like a 200/300/500 and 700 I think, with decent tread. Whats an optimal training distance for flipping? Like is there a protocal you follow for flips/distance kinda like a rep scheme?

Anyways, welcome

Jonny B

calcaneous
06-26-09, 8:11 pm
calceneous,

Front Squats for sure!

I'm not a big fan of Zerchers. I just don't like them. Please don't let that deter you if you like it. I get killer tendonitis in the crook of my arms if I do them. I think I may have last did them about 4 years ago.

Thanks!
HIGA.

i love both of them. front squats tend to hurt my shoulders/clavicle a little bit and just wanted to see if zercher would benefit me for lifting stones. i aim to compete around January.

HIGA MONSTER
06-26-09, 11:30 pm
Jonisocool,

Do a set of 10 with your 700 lb tire, and thats a great exercise. Do it for speed. Time yourself, and your workout partners. That way, you can see who does it the fastest.

Our strongman contests usually have a tire flip for a 100 feet distance.
Unless, its part of a medley. Example: flip tire for 50 feet, then chain drag for 50 feet.

I am sorry, but I don't know Nate Hale bro.

Hope this helps!
HIGA.

prowrestler
06-30-09, 5:52 pm
Hey prowrestler,
I am competing in a Strongman contest in Papineauville, Quebec on July 11 and 12th. I see that you are in Montreal...if you are free that weekend, let me know!

HIGA.

r u serious, hell ya i am lol!

UFC 100 weekend got better i see lol,

HIGA MONSTER
07-01-09, 1:58 am
Right on prowrestler! Would love to meet you. I will advise you of more info later. Its part of the "Quebec Cup" that Hugo Girard puts on. Not sure where in Papineauville it will be, but keep you posted.

HIGA.

HIGA MONSTER
07-01-09, 2:06 am
Hey, if any of you ANIMALS that live near the Seattle area want to come check out a Strongman contest, I am putting one on in Des Moines, WA on July 18.

2nd Washington's Strongest Apple

Date: July 18
Time: 10am-3pm Admission is FREE

Our contest will be part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the city of Des Moines! There will be 2 claaisc car shows near our Strongman area, as well as the Farmers Market.
We will be part of the 50th birthday celebration of the city of Des Moines, WA.

EVENTS:
1. Tire flip (100 ft total distance) 60 seconds time limit
2. Apollon Axle clean & press for reps 60 seconds time limit
3. Farmers Walk for 200’ (turn at 100 ft) 60 seconds time limit
4. Keg loading (4-5 kegs must be loaded onto a 50” tall platform) 60 seconds time limit

I have over 30 competitors, including 3 women.
Stop by if you can! Its free!

Thanks,
HIGA MONSTER

prowrestler
07-01-09, 3:05 pm
Right on prowrestler! Would love to meet you. I will advise you of more info later. Its part of the "Quebec Cup" that Hugo Girard puts on. Not sure where in Papineauville it will be, but keep you posted.

HIGA.

hugo girard passed by my gym just to eat lol, before one of his shows....he is huge

mcbeast
07-06-09, 8:10 pm
Might be able to make it up to this.As far as other shows...If there is one in the future id like to take a wack at it.

BigDubbDiesel
07-07-09, 3:45 pm
central florida's next ABC event is going to be an all strongman event

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=26460

maybe you could give us BB guys some advice on how to train/ prepare.

Mr. Dead
07-07-09, 3:48 pm
Hey, if any of you ANIMALS that live near the Seattle area want to come check out a Strongman contest, I am putting one on in Des Moines, WA on July 18.

Our contest will be part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the city of Des Moines! There will be 2 claaisc car shows near our Strongman area, as well as the Farmers Market.

EVENTS:
4. Keg loading (4-5 kegs must be loaded onto a 50” tall platform) 60 seconds time limit

Thanks,
HIGA MONSTER

Definitely plan on checkin' it out!!!

HIGA MONSTER
07-08-09, 2:12 am
Right on Mr Dead! Look forward to seeing you again!
Its free admission, and these competitors are going to do some sick Strongman events!

Lots of grip and low back fatigue is what I forsee in this contest. :)

HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
07-15-09, 4:49 pm
Mr Dead,
If you are coming to the Strongest Apple on Saturday, I highly suggest you bring some folding chairs. I got no bleachers thats why. We are just blocking off an entire parking lot.

Look forward to seeing some of the WA Animals!

HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
07-15-09, 5:00 pm
Mr Dead,
If you are coming to the Strongest Apple on Saturday, I highly suggest you bring some folding chairs. I got no bleachers thats why. We are just blocking off an entire parking lot.

Look forward to seeing some of the WA Animals!

HIGA MONSTER

Cool!!! excessive endorphins and I are defintiely going to be there!!!

mcbeast
07-15-09, 5:32 pm
Cool!!! excessive endorphins and I are defintiely going to be there!!!

Please remind me to bring my folding chairs..Haha! Im doing lower body that morning.

Lookin forward to this!

Hey,btw is it cool if my dog is there? Or is there an anti-pet rule at this event like every other event in washington?

HIGA MONSTER
07-16-09, 9:48 am
You know, I am not sure. I think you can bring you dog, as long as he is leashed.

Check the City of Des Moines Marina website. Maybe, you can call and confirm. I seem to recall people with their dogs at last year's show.

FYI, I am doing a news segment tomorrow morning on King5 news at 7:15am. We are doing a live broadcast, and I need to demonstrate some of the Strongman events that my competitors are doing on Saturday.
Planning to wear an "ANIMAL" beanie while I am doing it! :)

HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
07-16-09, 11:05 am
Alright cool,ill check.Haha,have fun showing off on the news clip.Are they gonna give you a copy? lol

Ironjaw
07-16-09, 12:16 pm
Im having a bit of trouble with front squats ... i was curious how you do them .... i cant seem to get the right stance down an holding the bar clean style screws my wrists up .... but yet again when i try to cross my arms to hold it i feel off balance... i wanna try to find a happy median of sorts you have any advice on it?

HIGA MONSTER
07-17-09, 2:03 am
Ironjaw,

I have trouble "racking" a proper front squat too. I can't do it like an Olympic Weightlifter.

So, I use lifting straps. I wrap them around the bar at about shoulder width. I grab the end of the straps, and wrap once around my hands.
This allows me to let the bar rest completely on my upper chest/clavicle, and I can focus on keeping an upright torso. I mean that you need to "spread" your breastbone open while doing down in a squat position..
Sure, my hands are wrapped on the end of the strap, but I am not holding the brunt of the weight with my strapped hands. Most of it is on my upper chest.

Does this make sense? I'm sure alot of other guys use this technique too.
I can't cross my arms and front squat. I end up losing the bar more, and possibly dropping it on the power rack.
I'd rather focus on coming up with the bar with my hands slightly strapped in, then worry about not dropping the bar with crossed arms.

Hope this helps bro!
HIGA MONSTER.

BigDubbDiesel
07-17-09, 3:02 am
a week out from a strongman comp how is your trainging/ conditioning? do you do a deloading phase? how many days before a comp do you take off to rest/ recover?

let me know boss.

Ironjaw
07-17-09, 9:56 am
Ironjaw,

I have trouble "racking" a proper front squat too. I can't do it like an Olympic Weightlifter.

So, I use lifting straps. I wrap them around the bar at about shoulder width. I grab the end of the straps, and wrap once around my hands.
This allows me to let the bar rest completely on my upper chest/clavicle, and I can focus on keeping an upright torso. I mean that you need to "spread" your breastbone open while doing down in a squat position..
Sure, my hands are wrapped on the end of the strap, but I am not holding the brunt of the weight with my strapped hands. Most of it is on my upper chest.

I can't cross my arms and front squat. I end up losing the bar more, and possibly dropping it on the power rack.
I'd rather focus on coming up with the bar with my hands slightly strapped in, then worry about not dropping the bar with crossed arms.

Hope this helps bro!
HIGA MONSTER.

awesome thanx i think ill try this today

Mr. Dead
07-17-09, 12:28 pm

EVENTS:

Thanks,
HIGA MONSTER

Posted this up at another forum, as well...

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=13573

mcbeast
07-19-09, 6:04 pm
Ironjaw,

Hope this helps bro!
HIGA MONSTER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0wP-LB3MkE&NR=1

Is that it? Well,cant see too clearly but yeah.

Great show on saturday.So,if its official im definetely down for training Saturday.Let me know,i would love to seriously get involved in strongman.(Finnaly)

Ironjaw
07-19-09, 8:24 pm
hmm i was doing it wrong i still got them in but i def did it wrong lol

HIGA MONSTER
07-20-09, 2:22 am
Excessive endorphins,
In that video, I don't like the way he grabbed the straps.

Personally, I like to grab the other end of the strap, and wrap it around my hand once towards the bar.
This way, I can keep my elbows up while Front Squatting.

I will try to find a better video for you, or tape one myself.

Thanks for coming to the Strongest Apple yesterday! I hope you had fun, and you are more than welcome to join us for Saturday strongman workouts.

HIGA MONSTER.

Mr. Dead
07-20-09, 11:26 am
That was definitely a heck of a show, Saturday!!! It was great seeing you, again!!!

mcbeast
07-20-09, 8:58 pm
Yeah it was pretty awesome.Im putting serious thought into competing.What do you think? Looking forward to saturday,what exactly is on the plate for training? Or do you vary each week?

Mattman33
07-20-09, 9:40 pm
If any of you have access to a Log and a dragging sled, try this:
Drag a sled backwards for about 50 feet, then IMMEDIATELY try to press an empty Log for 10 reps. (175-200 lbs empty Log)
Do that for 4 sets with no rest, like a Circuit Training.
Tell me how your quads feel after that thrashing! Makes you aware of how much you need to add Front Squats to help improve your press!

HIGA.

subbed, and cant wait to try this out.

HIGA MONSTER
07-21-09, 12:15 pm
Excessive Endorphins,
If you are serious to compete in Strongman, try to enter one as soon as you can.

FYI, there is one down in Sumner, WA on Sat Aug 1st. "Mt Rainier's Strongest Man" A few of my training partners that just competed in the Strongest Apple, will be competing in it.

I heard that there is one in Tri-Cities, WA too in Sept. Will advise later when I hear more.

Saturday is up to you. You can just try out what you can, and go from there. We start at 7am and go till 9:30am.

Later!
HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
07-21-09, 2:58 pm
Excessive Endorphins,
If you are serious to compete in Strongman, try to enter one as soon as you can.

FYI, there is one down in Sumner, WA on Sat Aug 1st. "Mt Rainier's Strongest Man" A few of my training partners that just competed in the Strongest Apple, will be competing in it.

I heard that there is one in Tri-Cities, WA too in Sept. Will advise later when I hear more.

Saturday is up to you. You can just try out what you can, and go from there. We start at 7am and go till 9:30am.

Later!
HIGA MONSTER.

Ive worked with logs,stones & farmers handles before.Also tire flips.Well see what happens.I would like to get a few solid months of implement training before i go into a competition.200 is the lightest division,right?

HIGA MONSTER
07-22-09, 1:30 am
175, 200, 231 are lightweight divisions.

265, 300, SHW (300.5 & above) are Heavyweight divisions.

HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
07-22-09, 1:54 am
175, 200, 231 are lightweight divisions.

265, 300, SHW (300.5 & above) are Heavyweight divisions.

HIGA MONSTER.

Interesting.200 it is then!
Looking forward to training.Never know i might be your next best protege.Ha! Grit & determination goes a long way.Well see where it takes me in strongman!

HIGA MONSTER
07-25-09, 3:51 pm
Excessive Endorphins paid a visit to the 'WAREHOUSE" today. He did great, and actually did some Log Presses, and then some Yoke Walks.

He also did a KILLER high-rep squat set with 225 lbs. Was it 27 reps bro? I can't remember.

All of us in our crew did a 20 reps squat set in honor of my friend Jesse Marunde, who passed away 2 years ago today.

I did 365 lbs for 21 reps, then a burndown set of 225 lbs for 21 reps (paused the last rep). I got fired up after seeing Endorphins hit that brutal set of 27 reps!

Great workout bro! Glad you could hook up with us!
HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
07-25-09, 4:53 pm
Excessive Endorphins paid a visit to the 'WAREHOUSE" today. He did great, and actually did some Log Presses, and then some Yoke Walks.

He also did a KILLER high-rep squat set with 225 lbs. Was it 27 reps bro? I can't remember.

All of us in our crew did a 20 reps squat set in honor of my friend Jesse Marunde, who passed away 2 years ago today.

I did 365 lbs for 21 reps, then a burndown set of 225 lbs for 21 reps (paused the last rep). I got fired up after seeing Endorphins hit that brutal set of 27 reps!

Great workout bro! Glad you could hook up with us!
HIGA MONSTER.

Nope,30! You were still lightheaded from your set,haha! I def have more in me,i think i should continue to try this after my events.It could only do me good right? 225 felt like nothing after i played with over 5 on the yoke.Definetely looking forward to next week,hopefully ill get a bit higher on the log.Just need to remember technique! So,same thing is planned for next satruday,just going to add in some farmers or stone.Higa thanks again for letttin me join your little crew,your a huge inspiration & pretty damn strong at that! See you soon.

Mattman33
07-26-09, 9:26 am
Hey Higa. Great thread here, thanks for posting. I was wondering if there was a standard weight for the Yoke, and how could you train for the Yoke without actually having a yoke to practice with?

Thanks for the input....

HIGA MONSTER
07-26-09, 10:51 am
Here is the video from our workout yesterday.

This was done after our 2 hour Strongman training workout. We did 20 reps squats in honor of Jesse Marunde passing away 2 years ago.

Endorphins KILLED 30 reps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMOMRHMlcuI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emarunde%2Dmuscle%2Ecom%2Ff orum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D16817%26page%3D4&feature=player_embedded

Have an awesome morning!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
07-26-09, 11:00 am
Mattman33,
Whats your bodyweight? For a heavyweight competitor, you will see Yoke weights ranging from 700-800 lbs. Lightweights would be 600-700 lbs.

You'd be surprised though, that some Pro Lightweights are doing Yoke with almost 800 lbs.

If you don't have a Yoke, I would suggest doing some walks with an Olympic bar and maybe, up to 225 lbs on it. Then, if you access to some chains, hang the chains on the end of the bar.
This requires a good amount of room to do this, AND you need good secure collars to hold the plates & chains. I don't want them slipping off the bar as you are walking, and suddenly torque your body. Nor do you want them to fall on anyone nearby you.

When I first started Strongman, I was doing 30 feet walks with up to 495 lbs on the bar. It was really sketchy to do, but I had to do it. However, its completely DIFFERENT from doing an actual Yoke. You don't get the "pendulum" effect on the bottom, which makes Yoke Walks tough to do.
This make sense? I had 495 lbs on my shoulders, or top half of my body. Put 495 lbs on a Yoke and its a whole different animal!

HIGA MONSTER.

Mattman33
07-26-09, 1:01 pm
Mattman33,
Whats your bodyweight? For a heavyweight competitor, you will see Yoke weights ranging from 700-800 lbs. Lightweights would be 600-700 lbs.

You'd be surprised though, that some Pro Lightweights are doing Yoke with almost 800 lbs.

If you don't have a Yoke, I would suggest doing some walks with an Olympic bar and maybe, up to 225 lbs on it. Then, if you access to some chains, hang the chains on the end of the bar.
This requires a good amount of room to do this, AND you need good secure collars to hold the plates & chains. I don't want them slipping off the bar as you are walking, and suddenly torque your body. Nor do you want them to fall on anyone nearby you.

When I first started Strongman, I was doing 30 feet walks with up to 495 lbs on the bar. It was really sketchy to do, but I had to do it. However, its completely DIFFERENT from doing an actual Yoke. You don't get the "pendulum" effect on the bottom, which makes Yoke Walks tough to do.
This make sense? I had 495 lbs on my shoulders, or top half of my body. Put 495 lbs on a Yoke and its a whole different animal!

HIGA MONSTER.

thanks for the quick reply. it makes perfect sense. i figure i have to start someplace, and then go from there.

i am not sure what class i would be in but i go about 270...so i guess i had better prepare the the heavier stuff. :)

HIGA MONSTER
08-03-09, 1:50 am
I am going to be doing a Strongman demonstration at Yokota Air Force Base (Fussa, Japan) on August 23rd.

We are part of the "Friendship Festival", and I will be refereeing a strongman contest for the local Japanese, and US Airmen. After each event, I will do a demonstration "HIGA MONSTER" style, and get them hyped for the rest of the contest.

EVENTS:
Log press for reps
Tire flip
2" Axle deadlift for reps
Farmers walk
Atlas stones
Bus pull

Keep you all posted!
HIGA MONSTER.

boar
08-06-09, 10:56 am
Hey Higa,

Good to get another strongman on the boards. I have competed in a handful of shows in new york, mass, and one in new hampshire. My best place I have gotten is 3rd place out in new york at the badass.

I am currently two days out from the mass state championships and have to cut 10lbs by friday night. Done it before so I am good with that.

I checked out your profile on american strongman and noticed you have a short stature but are a solid heavy at 5'8. I am 5'9 and compete at 231. I got up to 260 this winter and started to get sleep apnea so I decided to drop weight.

My question is that were you a lightweight when you started off and when did you make the transition into the heavyweights?

HIGA MONSTER
08-07-09, 12:55 am
Boar,
No, I was not a Lightweight!

I started off as a Powerlifter. Competed in the 220, 242 and 275 lb classes. I never touched weights seriously till 1992.
Competed in my first Strongman contest in 1998, at the inaugural "Beauty and the Beast Strongman Challenge".

I grew up on a farm in Hawaii, so I was always kinda stocky. I hold around 300 lbs usually. When I get above 305, I don't feel good competing. Too much weight for me, and it hurts my endurance.

Thats great you train at TPS once in a while. I heard that is a great place to train at!

Best of luck this weekend! One of my training partners, Audra Boltin, will be competing in the Women's Nationals on Saturday too.

HIGA MONSTER.

boar
08-07-09, 11:48 pm
Boar,
No, I was not a Lightweight!

I started off as a Powerlifter. Competed in the 220, 242 and 275 lb classes. I never touched weights seriously till 1992.
Competed in my first Strongman contest in 1998, at the inaugural "Beauty and the Beast Strongman Challenge".

I grew up on a farm in Hawaii, so I was always kinda stocky. I hold around 300 lbs usually. When I get above 305, I don't feel good competing. Too much weight for me, and it hurts my endurance.

Thats great you train at TPS once in a while. I heard that is a great place to train at!

Best of luck this weekend! One of my training partners, Audra Boltin, will be competing in the Women's Nationals on Saturday too.

HIGA MONSTER.

When I am home for the summer tps is my gym. I am originally from mass so I am living here for the summer and when I am in school in CT I train with derek poundstone and the ct strength crew.

Ironjaw
08-08-09, 12:01 am
Yo Higa i was wondering if a competition is ranked gold does that mean only certain people are elligible to particpate like how the NPC has final hat require you to have already place at least 3rd in a competition to enter?? and also iwould assume its smarter to start in the novice division and this is currently what i would have to do at the comp any tips??

EVENTS: 1. Log Press for reps (60 sec.) 175 lbs
2. Dead lift for reps (60 sec.) 2” bar 325
3. Tire Flip (60 sec.) **ONE SIZE FOR ALL**
4. Sled Pull/drag (60 feet) 400
5. Farmers Walk (50 feet) (60 sec.) 175

oh ye i currently dont have access to a tire or log press ... i'm using the suggestions you sent me so far tho .... also i mock farmers walks with 2 odd shaped bars any feedback on that??

Cstlfx
08-08-09, 1:16 am
Yo Higa i was wondering if a competition is ranked gold does that mean only certain people are elligible to particpate like how the NPC has final hat require you to have already place at least 3rd in a competition to enter?? and also iwould assume its smarter to start in the novice division and this is currently what i would have to do at the comp any tips??

EVENTS: 1. Log Press for reps (60 sec.) 175 lbs
2. Dead lift for reps (60 sec.) 2” bar 325
3. Tire Flip (60 sec.) **ONE SIZE FOR ALL**
4. Sled Pull/drag (60 feet) 400
5. Farmers Walk (50 feet) (60 sec.) 175

oh ye i currently dont have access to a tire or log press ... i'm using the suggestions you sent me so far tho .... also i mock farmers walks with 2 odd shaped bars any feedback on that??

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/levels.asp

That should help with your first question if thats where you got the idea from.

HIGA MONSTER
08-08-09, 2:57 am
Boar,
If you are training with Poundstone and Dave Mihalov, then your future is very bright! I am not worried about you bro!
Does Kevin Cronin still come up there to train too? He trained at my Warehouse last year, I think? When he made a visit to Seattle.

Have a good summer!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
08-08-09, 3:02 am
Ironjaw,
There are alot of guys in Florida that have equipment. You need to make a weekend trip, and at least train once with those implements.
What part of FL are you at?

Cstlfx is right. That NAS link is correct for the levels of sanctioning. Your goal is to make the top 2 to qualify for Nationals, in a GOLD level contest.

Tire shops will gladly give you a free tire, as long as they can't sell it used or recap it. If not, they have to pay a disposal fee.
I just got a 875 lb tire given to me from a Tire Sponsor. The heaviest one we had was 694 lbs, so this will help me when I have a show with heavy tires.

HIGA MONSTER.

Jonisocool
08-08-09, 3:44 am
Ironjaw,
There are alot of guys in Florida that have equipment. You need to make a weekend trip, and at least train once with those implements.

Cstlfx is right. That NAS link is correct for the levels of sanctioning. Your goal is to make the top 2 to qualify for Nationals, in a GOLD level contest.

Tire shops will gladly give you a free tire, as long as they can't sell it used or recap it. If not, they have to pay a disposal fee.
I just got a 875 lb tire given to me from a Tire Sponsor. The heaviest one we had was 694 lbs, so this will help me when I have a show with heavy tires

HIGA MONSTER.

^^^

this, I went to the Les Schwabs in Shelton, WA, they had a lot of tires. It costs them money to get them shipped and dermo'd, so they'll gladly give them to you for free, even load them into the bed of your truck with a fork lift. Got roughly a 400, 500, and 700~ lber from there. This is what we roughly make their weight out to be. Nobody can move the 700lber yet. maybe its 6.. idk.

But yea, Les schwabs ftw

Ironjaw
08-08-09, 11:00 am
Ironjaw,

I just got a 875 lb tire given to me from a Tire Sponsor. The heaviest one we had was 694 lbs, so this will help me when I have a show with heavy tires.

HIGA MONSTER.

lol it didnt explain it entirely so i wasnt sure but i got ya.... and ive used each 1x already but the closest gym with that kinda stuff is lakeland where we trained .... only problem is im destroying my gas tank to get over there which atm isnt an option for me lol

and i on that note you guys kno some nice ass ppl lol i had to littlerally beg to get the stuff i have already lol idk ppl here are stingy as shit ... even the dump wont give me a tire lol

HIGA MONSTER
08-16-09, 11:42 pm
If there are any Animals in the Tokyo area, I will be at Yokota Air Force Base this weekend. I will be helping with the "5th Yokota Strongman" contest, and doing a demo too.

Already packed a few ANIMAL shirts to wear in Japan, and also got an Animal Pak banner to hang at the strongman contest.

"Banzai!"
HIGA MONSTER.

boar
08-17-09, 10:56 pm
If there are any Animals in the Tokyo area, I will be at Yokota Air Force Base this weekend. I will be helping with the "5th Yokota Strongman" contest, and doing a demo too.

Already packed a few ANIMAL shirts to wear in Japan, and also got an Animal Pak banner to hang at the strongman contest.

"Banzai!"
HIGA MONSTER.

Higa, that is awesome that you are doing some international strongman stuff in Japan. You seem to be a great representative of the american strongman corp. It is awesome to have a pro strongman on this site. Let us know how it goes..

- nick

Rage
08-19-09, 1:05 pm
Hey bro...I've finally hit two rolls..what size shirt does that put me in lol?

HIGA MONSTER
08-21-09, 8:39 pm
When I got to Nagoya last night, the Brazilian guy that picked us up sells Universal Nutrition products at his smoothie shop here! What a small world!

I stayed at his apartment last night, and he had Animal hats, NITRO lying around...way cool!

Driving 4 hours to Yokota Air Base today. Will try to post pics from tomorrow's contest later on!

HIGA MONSTER.

BryanSmash!
08-22-09, 12:48 am
When I got to Nagoya last night, the Brazilian guy that picked us up sells Universal Nutrition products at his smoothie shop here! What a small world!

I stayed at his apartment last night, and he had Animal hats, NITRO lying around...way cool!

Driving 4 hours to Yokota Air Base today. Will try to post pics from tomorrow's contest later on!

HIGA MONSTER.

When I saw the title of this post, I pictured a giant you stomping through the city and knocking buildings over like the old Godzilla movies lol.

calcaneous
08-22-09, 9:02 pm
higa,

im very interested in competing in a strongman contest. I am thinking abouyt signing up for a local comp. to see what its all about, but im not 100% i want to go through with it, because my gym is not very strongman friendly. I make due with what i can get there that would pre-pare me. Should i just bite the bullet and compete and see what it is all about?

HIGA MONSTER
08-23-09, 8:29 am
Calcaneous,
Just enter a small one that is close to where you live!
IMO, contest experience is the best way to find out if this is something you really want to do.
Don't wait till next year, get your feet wet now!

HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
08-23-09, 8:32 am
We had a great contest today. Only had 7 competitors, but all of these guys showed alot of heart to compete.

Will post pics when I get back tomorrow. My friend and I are going to train at 7:30am tomorrow, before we catch a 11am bus to Narita airport.

They estimate 200,000 people come onto the base during this weekened.

Later,
HIGA MONSTER.

stokes
08-27-09, 10:35 pm
hey bro.

me and a buddy in college are wanting to break into amature strongman contests. however, the school we attend lacks equipment that's condusive to that breed of contest. currently, our routine is the animal pak split routine #5, throwin in some dumbell farmer's walk and such. the gym's pretty standard, if a little sub-par in general. dumbell's only go up to 100lbs, but there's plenty of free weights and straight bars. any advice?

stokes

mcbeast
08-27-09, 10:37 pm
hey bro.

me and a buddy in college are wanting to break into amature strongman contests. however, the school we attend lacks equipment that's condusive to that breed of contest. currently, our routine is the animal pak split routine #5, throwin in some dumbell farmer's walk and such. the gym's pretty standard, if a little sub-par in general. dumbell's only go up to 100lbs, but there's plenty of free weights and straight bars. any advice?

stokes

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/strongmantraining.html

HIGA MONSTER
08-29-09, 1:31 am
hey bro.

stokes

Stokes,
Whats the events, in this contest you are thinking of?

Dumbbell farmers are cool, but it is nothing compared to doing an actual farmers walk. Long farmers handles make it more difficult to turn, and using dumbbells are easier. Man, I wish you had access to some decent equipment.

If your contest has a Log Press, consider doing overhead presses with dumbbells (palms inward). Even incline DB presses with palms in, will help simulate the handles in a log.

Keep up your squats, power cleans, and snatches. Kick out the flat bench pressing, because its all overhead pressing in Strongman, so you need to improve your overhead.

Let me know what those events are. Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER.

calcaneous
08-31-09, 2:10 pm
Calcaneous,
Just enter a small one that is close to where you live!
IMO, contest experience is the best way to find out if this is something you really want to do.
Don't wait till next year, get your feet wet now!

HIGA MONSTER.

my contest is in 1.5 weeks. september 12th. Next week (week of the contest) should i not lift at all? or keep things VERY light?

HIGA MONSTER
08-31-09, 2:36 pm
Calcaneous,
I like to do some light explosive training the week of a contest.

So, maybe you can consider on 9/6-9/8, doing some light Snatches, Clean and Presses, Squats to keep the tools sharp.
It shouldn't be anything heavy, just light and explosive to keep your nervous system fresh.

Also, if you can do some Myofascial foam rolling, and stretching, this will aid in your recovery.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
HIGA MONSTER.

calcaneous
08-31-09, 3:04 pm
Calcaneous,
I like to do some light explosive training the week of a contest.

So, maybe you can consider on 9/6-9/8, doing some light Snatches, Clean and Presses, Squats to keep the tools sharp.
It shouldn't be anything heavy, just light and explosive to keep your nervous system fresh.

Also, if you can do some Myofascial foam rolling, and stretching, this will aid in your recovery.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
HIGA MONSTER.

thanks! im just really nervous because its a blind event, and i have no idea what to really prepare for. but its like i say, "its not going to be easy to prepare to fight a grizzly bear, sometimes you just have to go in and do your best and beat the shit out of the bear with everything you gots"

stokes
08-31-09, 11:28 pm
Stokes,
Whats the events, in this contest you are thinking of?

Dumbbell farmers are cool, but it is nothing compared to doing an actual farmers walk. Long farmers handles make it more difficult to turn, and using dumbbells are easier. Man, I wish you had access to some decent equipment.

If your contest has a Log Press, consider doing overhead presses with dumbbells (palms inward). Even incline DB presses with palms in, will help simulate the handles in a log.

Keep up your squats, power cleans, and snatches. Kick out the flat bench pressing, because its all overhead pressing in Strongman, so you need to improve your overhead.

Let me know what those events are. Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER.

log press
appollon's axle
farmer's walk
medley(not real sure, the website's pretty vague)
throwing event(yay for more ambiguity)

believe me, i wish i had some good stuff to work with too. i was thinkin the same thing about the log press, but i'm not 100% on the form for those. we did some youtubing to try and study some form, and most everything seems to be pretty back intensive, especially when it came to the log. they seemed to grab it and let it sort of roll upwards in almost one motion. we had added some straight leg deads to try and prep for that. any advice on that? also, anyway we can prep for the grip challenges on the axle?

mcbeast
09-01-09, 12:20 am
log press
appollon's axle
farmer's walk

believe me, i wish i had some good stuff to work with too. i was thinkin the same thing about the log press, but i'm not 100% on the form for those. we did some youtubing to try and study some form, and most everything seems to be pretty back intensive, especially when it came to the log. they seemed to grab it and let it sort of roll upwards in almost one motion. we had added some straight leg deads to try and prep for that. any advice on that? also, anyway we can prep for the grip challenges on the axle?

For grip do rows placing your hand on the plate portion of the bar.(Where you load the plates, that right there is about the thickness of the axle.

HIGA MONSTER
09-01-09, 10:04 am
log press
appollon's axle
farmer's walk

Try to do bent over BB rows to help the Log clean. Don't hammer curl the Log, cause this can lead to possible bicep injuries. You want to pull the Log to your upper Abs, and drive your elbows forward & up to clean it.

Endorphins is right about doing those rows with the end of an olympic bar.
Place a bar in the corner of your gym, like a T-bar row. Then, load 3-4 25 lb plates on one end. Grab the fat end of the bar, and do some one arm rows with it. The end of the bar should come up towards nipple level on the chest.

If you get a contest with a Car/Deadlift hold, you can take 2 bars and put them in the corner. Load up some plates on one end, then stand up with both ends of the bars in your hands, and hold for time.

Make sense?
HIGA MONSTER.

stokes
09-01-09, 11:07 am
sweet deal. i'll give that a shot. i really appreciate the advice from both of you

HIGA MONSTER
09-03-09, 11:20 pm
Just flew into Ottawa today. This will be a 3 day contest, starting on Saturday.

SATURDAY:
Semi-Truck pull
Log lift for max weight
Stones

SUNDAY:
Farmers walk medley (265,305,335,355 lbs all for 50ft)
Car Deadlift hold
Hercules hold

MONDAY:
Train wheels loading
955 lbTire flip (100 feet)
Yoke Walk (870 lbs for 100 feet)

Canadian competitiors are:
Christian Savoie (Canada's Strongest Man 2009)
Mike Saunders
Jean Francois Caron
Mo Paquette
Scott Cummine
Grant Connors
Luke Skaarup

American's are:
Karl Gillinghamm
Jonathan Connor
Corey St Clair
Josh Thigpenn
Chad Coy
Grant Higa

Will keep you posted. Any ANIMALS in the Gatineau area, come on down to the contest. We are part of the "Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival"

HIGA MONSTER.

Jonisocool
09-04-09, 3:39 am
Do work Higa. Kill it over there!

HIGA MONSTER
09-06-09, 9:13 am
TRUCK PULL FOR 100 feet:
I completed in 33 seconds, for 9th place. I messed up because I ditched the rope 15 feet before the finish line.
It seemed like I wasn`t using it anyway, and alot of guys were ditching it before me. As soon as I let it go, I felt myself slow down.
Pissed me off cause the winning time was 27 seconds, and 6 guys were logjammed at 31 secs and change.

LOG PRESS FOR MAX WEIGHT:
12 inch log, with 2 inch diameter handles.
Starting weight was 280 lbs, so I passed. I opened with 300 lbs.
Then, got 320 lbs. Then, 330 lbs.
I missed 340 lbs.
7th place in this event for me. Winning weight was 360 lbs.

ATLAS STONES (283-385 lbs load onto 56 inch tall rings)
I loaded the 283, then had a mind fart and fumbled the 303 lb stone. This mind-fu_ked me, and I had a hard time loading the 335 stone. Pissed me off.

Overall, I was happy with my Log Press, but pissed on Truck pull and Stones mistakes.
Most awesome contest I have ever been a part of, cause this is part of the 22nd Hot Air Balloon Festival.
8,000 people were on attendance just for the Strongman contest. There are so many things going on like food & drink booths, concerts, carnival rides. Even cosmetic Kenny Rogers was the headliner at the Main Stage last night.

Today`s events are:
Car hold for time
800 lb Yoke walk for 100 feet
Farmers Walk medley

Later!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
09-06-09, 9:06 pm
3 events today.

Car Hold for time
770 lb Yoke Walk for 100 feet
Farmers Walk Medley (265, 305, 330, 355 lbs each hand for 50 feet each)

Car Hold for time:
I won this event last year, and for TV purposes, they paired me with Grant Connors of Canada. Grant won this event 2 weeks ago at Canada's Strongest Man.
We faced each other while holding the cars.
I did my pick, but felt like my feet weren't right. I was standing on my toes, rather than my heels. Tried to bear it for a while, but then I took a step forward. Bad move, cause I felt all the weight on my biceps. After feeling my biceps lengthen another inch or two, I stepped back again. All this moving around, wasted energy and I ended up getting 3rd place in this event. With a time of 1 minute 27 seconds.
Grant got 1 minute 41 seconds, but almost passed out doing it.
Only 1 guy out of 12, held the car for under 1 minute. Thats how good the guys are here.
3RD PLACE

770 lb Yoke Walk:
I was paired up with Canada's Strongest Man, Christian Savoie. I had not done any Yoke training, cause I was having an issue with my right upper glute for months. I got a cortisone shot almost a month ago, and it feels better, but the lack of training this event got me.
I completed the 100 foot course in 27 seconds. One guy beat me in placings with 26 seconds. (Muthaf_cker)
The winner did it in 17 seconds. FAST BASTARD.
9TH PLACE

Farmers Walk Medley:
Grip is my downfall, so this was a brutal event for me. I had done this event 2 years ago, and didn't finish the 2nd weights. I was determined to try and do that, cause there are some phenomenal Farmers Walkers in this contest.
I ran with the 260 lbs with no problem. The 305's are the toughest SOB's I've ever tried to use in Farmers. They are these HUGE aluminum blocks, with 2" handles. Its so big that the blocks rub against your legs as you try to pick them up. If you drop them, you are done. I had a good pick, and went about 25 feet before dropping them. Tried 2 more picks, but maybe got just 7 more feet.
I need some drastic overhaul of my Farmers training, so that this improves. Its always my nemesis.
11TH PLACE

So, after Day 2, I am in 11th place out of 12 guys.
I was in 9th place after the Yoke, so that SUCKS. I need to make some moves tomorrow.

The one positive, is that Team USA is beating Team Canada in overall points.
Canada has beaten the USA 7-1 in this contest for the past 8 years, and we are motivated to end that shit tomorrow

Tomorrow's events are:
Hercules Hold w/2 cars
955 lb Tire flip for 100 feet
Train Wheel loading (240 lbs-415 lbs. Push a truck 10 meters, then load a wheel, then push another 10 meters & load next wheel.) Puke bucket not included.

Later,
HIGA MONSTER.

Ronald A. Strahan
09-11-09, 3:28 am
Higa, thanks for the write-up. I appreciate the 'athlete's mind' insight. I'm an avid reader of MILO and Proponent of Super Squats. I look forward to following this thread.

HIGA MONSTER
09-11-09, 5:57 pm
Here is my train wheel load. The first one weighs 260 lbs, and the last one is 410 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5trTE5Rs8vQ

And, a 20 reps squat with 385 lbs, while I was at Yokota Air Base last month in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohnU0NGKeBE

Have a kick ass weekend!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
09-21-09, 11:23 am
There is a contest this Saturday, 9/26. If there are any ANIMALS on the east side of the state.

"Rib Breaker Challenge"
8110 West Gage Blvd
Kennewick, WA

This will be held in the parking lot of Famous Dave's Restauraunt.

EVENTS:
Axle clean & press for reps
Tire Flip
Medley (Deadlift, Yoke Walk, Farmers Walk)
Atlas Stones

A few of my training partners will be competing. Hope to see some of you guys there!

HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
10-09-09, 11:03 am
If any of you live near Lafayette, Louisiana, the amateur National Strongman Championships will be this weekend.

Pelican Park (Carencro, LA)

Lightweights will be competing tomorrow. (175, 200 & 231 lbs)
Heavyweights will compete on Sunday (265, 300 & Superheavyweights)

EVENTS:
Log clean & press for reps
Tire flip
Yoke walk/Farmers Walk medley
Boat carry & load (load a boat with a keg, then a sandbag, then drag boat 50 feet)
Atlas Stones

There are 39 Lightweight competitors, and over 50 Heavyweights!

Best of luck to 2 of my training partners! One is competing in the LW, and the other is a Masters HW.

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
10-11-09, 8:43 pm
Congratulations to my training partner, Zack Nims!

He placed 2nd overall, out of 40 guys in the nation at the Amateur Strongman Championships (Lafayette, Louisiana).
He missed getting the overall win and Pro card by 2 points.

I am way proud of him, and this kid is a beast in disguise. He will win his Pro Card soon in strongman.
This kid lives in the same city as me, and all of us in Washington are proud of him.

HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
10-11-09, 10:39 pm
Hey, might be heading down this saturday! Finnaly, haha. Hows everything going?

HIGA MONSTER
10-12-09, 12:08 am
We miss you EE!

Funny, we were talking about you yesterday at the Warehouse, and was wondering when you would be back.
Hope to see you this weekend!

HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
10-12-09, 2:43 pm
We miss you EE!

Funny, we were talking about you yesterday at the Warehouse, and was wondering when you would be back.
Hope to see you this weekend!

HIGA MONSTER.

Most definetely. Training will prbably be limited to stones and tire. Ill drop the latest news this weekend.

HIGA MONSTER
10-17-09, 5:47 pm
Yo Endorphins?

Missed you at the Warehouse this morning. Where you sleeping in and watching "Dora the Explorer"? Instead of training?

Zack and I did a ton of sled dragging with 400 lbs in the sled. Blew up the quads!

Later,
HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
10-17-09, 6:13 pm
Yo Endorphins?

Missed you at the Warehouse this morning. Where you sleeping in and watching "Dora the Explorer"? Instead of training?

Zack and I did a ton of sled dragging with 400 lbs in the sled. Blew up the quads!

Later,
HIGA MONSTER.

Hey Higa,
Yeah i am sorry about this morning. I did sleep in pretty late. Im not sure if youve read my log, but im going thru a pretty rough time with my back. Its seriously limiting what i can and cannot do. Ive gotten xrays, and one visit to the chiropractor so far. From the looks of it ive got a degenerative disk on my lf s1. Right above the tailbone. Its almost 1/3 the size it should be, compared to the others. Ive laid off squats and deads. Only thing i can stay consistant with is benching. This really sucks, but its kindve a relief. At least now i know why there was so many things that have been so difficult/painful for me. Ie. Squats, yoke, farmers etc

Need to heal up...

HIGA MONSTER
10-18-09, 11:29 pm
Roger that bro. I am sorry about your back issues.

Keep your head up, and we hope to see you soon. I will try to call you this week.
I just got back home from that TERRIBLE Seattle Seahawks game. What a waste of my time.

HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
10-26-09, 12:03 am
Thats right...you did read that title right. :)

"6th Oregon's Strongest Beaver"

Date: Saturday November 14th
Where: in front of the Memorial Union building on the campus of Oregon State University.
Time: TBA It will be done 4 hours before the kickoff of the football game b/w Oregon State vs Washington Huskies.

Yours truly, and fellow pro Strogman Corey St. Clair, will be doing a little Strongman show for the students of Oregon State!

This will be on "Dad's Weekend" and will take place with all of the tailgating students and their Dad's, before the football game.
If any of you ANIMALS live in Oregon, stop on by to check us out!

Here are the events:
LOG PRESS FOR MAX WEIGHT
AXLE DEADLIFT FOR REPS
RIVER ROCK LOADING (229-415 lbs)

Hope to see some of you ANIMALS there!
HIGA MONSTER.

boar
10-29-09, 10:26 am
Here is my train wheel load. The first one weighs 260 lbs, and the last one is 410 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5trTE5Rs8vQ

And, a 20 reps squat with 385 lbs, while I was at Yokota Air Base last month in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohnU0NGKeBE

Have a kick ass weekend!
HIGA MONSTER.

That wheel load truck push looked absolutely brutal. I have never scene a load event combined with a truck pull/push. Good stuff keep at it.

HIGA MONSTER
10-30-09, 1:20 pm
That wheel load truck push looked absolutely brutal. I have never scene a load event combined with a truck pull/push. Good stuff keep at it.

Boar,
As tough as it is, its probably the most coolest loading event I have ever done.

The first time I did it 3 years ago, we had to load them onto a flatbed trailer, and the wheels were staggered away from it 15', 12', 9', 6' and 3' for the 410 lb wheel.
Pushing the truck for 10 meters with the wheels is a whole other ANIMAL.

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER.

boar
10-31-09, 8:56 pm
Grant,

Curious if you train events on saturday like the rest of the strongmen in this country ascribe to. Its like how everyone does chest on mondays in a commercial gym. How was your training this weekend.

I had an epic session with the ct crew. Derek Poundstone took the 880 for a 250ft trip in like 30 seconds, andy malazzi and dave mihalov (nationals 105k pro champ) came close to pressing the 200lb circus dumbell. Tom McClure is officially back in action after a long hiatus from strongman. Iron Mike carried a 315 husefell stone while dragging a 200lb sled behind him. I ended up doing the WSM SS 880 yoke for 50ft w/ one drop and ended up pressing a 160 2 inch thick dumbell handle. The circus dumbell is mine soon.....

HIGA MONSTER
11-01-09, 10:33 pm
Grant,

Curious if you train events on saturday like the rest of the strongmen in this country ascribe to. Its like how everyone does chest on mondays in a commercial gym. How was your training this weekend.

I had an epic session with the ct crew. Derek Poundstone took the 880 for a 250ft trip in like 30 seconds, andy malazzi and dave mihalov (nationals 105k pro champ) came close to pressing the 200lb circus dumbell. Tom McClure is officially back in action after a long hiatus from strongman. Iron Mike carried a 315 husefell stone while dragging a 200lb sled behind him. I ended up doing the WSM SS 880 yoke for 50ft w/ one drop and ended up pressing a 160 2 inch thick dumbell handle. The circus dumbell is mine soon.....

Boar,
Yes, I tend to do events on Saturdays. We usually workout from 7am-9:30am on Saturdays, and it tends to be easier for all of us to meet and help each other load/unload equipment.

I try to do Farmers Walks on Weds, so that I have one less event to do on Saturday.

I love circus dumbbells! Good luck to you on that! You got a great crew to train with!

HIGA MONSTER.

H@rl3yB08
11-02-09, 9:08 am
Higa,
Every time I do my tire flipping, I get a slight pinch in my lower back region. Now I wear a belt, my form is pretty decent and I'm not murdering myself just to get it up. I am sure to incorporate my knee in the flip and always keep the momentum going. My tire is 400lbs because I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to get used to the "out of the gym" workouts. I'm flipping about 2 times a week spacing it out evenly with my other workouts. I was wondering if you, or any strongmen here had that problem or ever get that problem....any help would be great. Thanks guys.

HIGA MONSTER
11-02-09, 3:28 pm
Higa,
Every time I do my tire flipping, I get a slight pinch in my lower back region. Now I wear a belt, my form is pretty decent and I'm not murdering myself just to get it up. I am sure to incorporate my knee in the flip and always keep the momentum going. My tire is 400lbs because I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to get used to the "out of the gym" workouts. I'm flipping about 2 times a week spacing it out evenly with my other workouts. I was wondering if you, or any strongmen here had that problem or ever get that problem....any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Not sure bro, but sometimes if I don't stretch out my back really good before tire flipping, it feels really tight on me.

Try to do some foam rolling, or use a softball to lay on and break up some of those adhesions on your glutes and lower lumbars before you train.

The tire isn't heavy, so it seems like you maybe deadlifting rather than pushing your chest forward into it and "snatching" the tire.

Can you post a video next time you flip it?

HIGA MONSTER.

H@rl3yB08
11-06-09, 2:58 pm
I tried that softball rolling and honestly that was badass. After that I did more stretching than usual and I felt a lot looser than normal. I shaved 2 seconds of my best time so far and felt no pain. Thanks a lot and I guess I really do have to stretch like crazy hahaha

HIGA MONSTER
11-07-09, 10:42 am
I tried that softball rolling and honestly that was badass. After that I did more stretching than usual and I felt a lot looser than normal. I shaved 2 seconds of my best time so far and felt no pain. Thanks a lot and I guess I really do have to stretch like crazy hahaha

Sweet bro!
I take my softball with me to every contest that I travel to. It doesn't take much room in the luggage/carryone, but helps alot with me stretching out. Along with my myofascial stick, the softball always comes with me when I travel.

My ass is too big to roll on a tennis ball thats why! I just end up smashing a tennis ball.

Use it on your rear delts too, and where your lats tie into your armpit before any pressing days. Even the triceps bro.

I even roll my forearms too, before doing Farmers Walks.

Later!
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
11-07-09, 10:54 am
Thats right...you did read that title right. :)

"6th Oregon's Strongest Beaver"

Date: Saturday November 14th
Where: in front of the Memorial Union building on the campus of Oregon State University.
Time: TBA It will be done 4 hours before the kickoff of the football game b/w Oregon State vs Washington Huskies.

Yours truly, and fellow pro Strogman Corey St. Clair, will be doing a little Strongman show for the students of Oregon State!

This will be on "Dad's Weekend" and will take place with all of the tailgating students and their Dad's, before the football game.
If any of you ANIMALS live in Oregon, stop on by to check us out!

Here are the events:
LOG PRESS FOR MAX WEIGHT
AXLE DEADLIFT FOR REPS
RIVER ROCK LOADING (229-415 lbs)

Hope to see some of you ANIMALS there!
HIGA MONSTER.

We have a start time!
I am going to be doing this demo at 9:30am on Nov 14th.

I have over 1,000 shirts to giveaway!
Lots of samples too such as Real Gains, Torrent, and posters from Animal Pak.

I plan to walk around the frats on Friday, and hand out some ANIMAL PAK posters, and get some of the boys hooked onto possibly purchasing some ANIMAL products in the future.
It would be cool to see posters like "Shut up and train" hanging in the fraternities and inspire these students to train harder and get huge like all the Animal brothers on this forum.

We are going to walk around the tailgaters too and spread the word about Animal Pak/Universal Nutrition to the BEAVER NATION, after we are done with the demonstration.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
11-11-09, 5:33 pm
Here is a link to the cool shirt I got designed for "Dad's Weekend", and we got 1,500 of these badass shirts to giveaway on Saturday!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Rj1axFFhlik/SvpU8IO-WXI/AAAAAAAAAMY/ZR95YCpDilw/s1600-h/Dad%27s+Weekend+shirt+design.JPG

I just packed up my car with Animal Pak posters, shirts, Real Gains, Torrent & Storm samples. The Beaver Believers are gonna get hooked onto our ANIMAL PAK products!

I will take lots of pictures and videos, and post when I get back. Aloha!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-21-09, 3:41 pm
Posted some videos from our workout this morning. 7am-9am every Saturday, we "get after it!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RowurR7sDGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swvbq5JJ5Io

I'm trying to upload our 711 lb chain drag of death, but its a huge file. Keep you posted!

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER.

Vaze_06
11-21-09, 3:48 pm
impressive pressing. freaking sweet

BobbyB11
11-23-09, 2:00 pm
Higa,
What kind of a routine would you suggest for someone who as a goal in the future might want to enter some strongman competitions? Something to get the raw strength up, before even thinking of trying some implement training. I know you said you use bodybuilding type training in the offseason, but didn’t know if you’d recommend a 5x5, 5/3/1 or another version to start it up.

HIGA MONSTER
11-23-09, 3:54 pm
Higa,
What kind of a routine would you suggest for someone who as a goal in the future might want to enter some strongman competitions? Something to get the raw strength up, before even thinking of trying some implement training. I know you said you use bodybuilding type training in the offseason, but didn’t know if you’d recommend a 5x5, 5/3/1 or another version to start it up.

BobbyB11,
Personally, I think what gets the first time strongman competitor is their conditioning.
You could do heavy top sets of 5 or 3 reps, but you need to also throw in some sets of 10-12 reps in there.

Lotta guys come in strong. They can bench 500 lbs, but when they try to do a Log clean & press for reps with 275 lbs, it winds them and they can only get 5 reps.
We gotta be strong, but also athletically conditioned to handle these events. Especially cause most of the Strongman events are so anaerobic.

Work on your squats (front & back), deadlifts, power cleans, snatches, overhead pressing, and grip. Particularly, supporting grip. The strength to hold things in your hands for a long time.

Flat bench presses do not carry over well in Strongman, cause we lift Logs & Axles overhead. Stick to overhead presses or jerks, and only do incline bench pressing or incline close grips.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted on your training. You got any contests in the near future?

HIGA MONSTER.

HIGA MONSTER
11-24-09, 1:43 am
Since I don't have a strongman contest to do till next March 2010, I decided to compete in a Raw unsanctioned Powerlifting meet on Jan 9, 2009 (Lynwood, WA)

I'm just going to do the Squat. Raw dog: no power suit & no knee wraps. Belt only.

I haven't competed in a Powerlifting meet since 2000, so its kinda cool to go back to my roots of lifting.
My goal is to hit at least a 600 lb raw squat.

Here is my max squat for today. Since I know where I'm at, now I can make adjustments towards my goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuWBrAKNAk

Fortunately, my squat has always been a good lift for me. I still hold the USAPL record for Washington state at 810 lbs in the 275 lb weight class.

I still can't squat as good as RAGINGMUSCLE, but I'm gonna die trying! ;)

Keep you posted!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
11-25-09, 11:43 am
We always try to finish our event training on Saturdays with some type of drag. We will either use a weighted sled, or my 711 lb chain.
First you go to you can't go anymore, than the next person goes. This repeats until your turn comes up again for a 2nd time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emi8m5cwIQM

Thank goodness I drive an Automatic, cause it would be hard to clutch with my quads so pumped up.

Flying to Hawaii today for Thanksgiving....will post videos from some workouts there. I'M OUT!

HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
11-25-09, 11:45 am
Have a great Thanksgiving, brother...

HIGA MONSTER
11-29-09, 12:06 pm
Even though I am on vacation in Hawai'i, still trying to keep on track with competing in that raw squat contest on Jan 9, 2010.

An old powerlifting friend of mine hooked me up with a day pass at a nearby gym cause he is the General Manager there. Big shout out to the "Mighty Mouse" Quincy Guzman. He is a former USAPL 165 lb powerlifter. Mahalo for the day pass bro!

My 475 lb for 3 reps squat (no belt or wraps):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsAXTf2PX4

My recap on the workout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IghHNzCcNiQ

Aloha!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-01-09, 7:47 am
I got a KILLER workout yesterday with my friends at Powerhouse Gym of Honolulu.
The "Hawaiian Hulk" Andy Ramos, and former Hawai'i state powerlifting champion Tony Le'iato. Tony also won the Hawaii's Strongest Man twice.

Andy Ramos weighs 370 lbs, and is hungry to win his Pro card in strongman in 2010.

I was so surprised at how jello my legs were in these circuits. Goes to show you how important it is to do lots of front squats to help improve your overhead press. You will see what I mean at the end of the first video!

Log weighs 220 lbs, keg weighs 220 lbs, and I'm not sure what the weight is of the fire hydrant. 5 plyometric box jumps follow pressing these objects.

Here are some videos...

Me doing this crazy overhead medley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMJ1PyYFJCE

Andy Ramos doing the second part of the overhead medley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PA3gVlbsVY

Me doing the second part of the overhead medley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqKExhD2GNs

Flying back to Seattle today...its been a fun vacation back home. Talk to you later!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-05-09, 4:37 pm
A little slow on the top end, but man was it COLD in the warehouse this morning! 5 weeks out from that Powerlifting meet on Jan 9th.

We didn't even sweat the entire 2 hours we were there. Thats how cold it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I79fwGmT1i8

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-12-09, 3:02 pm
Did this today at a COLD Warehouse. It was 22 degrees in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-wmZQyAzo

HIGA MONSTER

Maccabee
12-13-09, 1:47 pm
Awesome videos. I like the 600 lb squat that was intense.

HIGA MONSTER
12-13-09, 3:28 pm
Awesome videos. I like the 600 lb squat that was intense.

Thanks man!
I am blessed to have some awesome training partners, that help push me even in the tough elements of winter.

We all think it sucks to train from 7am-9am in freezing temperatures, but we feel better knowing that we woke up and kicked ass trying to have a good workout, rather than the people that are still sleeping in that morning watching cartoons.

HIGA MONSTER

Maccabee
12-13-09, 7:22 pm
I here ya bro.

Whats the deal with the warehouse? How did you get that hook up?

Do you keep all your equipement there?

HIGA MONSTER
12-14-09, 2:10 am
I here ya bro.

Whats the deal with the warehouse? How did you get that hook up?

Do you keep all your equipement there?

I used to drive 11 Western states for Atlas Van Lines. I used to pickup shipments from Hawaii from this warehouse in Kent, WA.

After moving from Oregon to Washington, I was looking for a place to store my strongman equipment.
You don't wanna leave this stuff in a commercial gym and have some rookie try to lift it and drop a stone on his foot. It can be a liability factor.

We were able to pay a monthly storage fee and store my equipment there. I just ask my training partners to chip in $15 per month to workout at the Warehouse. The payment comes out of my checking acccount once a month.

Its a moving company's warehouse, so we are able to do our exercises in b/w the alleys that a forklift would drive through.
It can be cold in the winter, but its still dry and we are able to train.

We are able to workout anytime during the week, but Saturday mornings seem to be the best time that all of us can meet and not have it interfere with our family/work schedules.

The dispatcher is awesome there. I take care of him by always bringing him contest shirts or posters. And occasional cases of Bud Light!

Later!
HIGA MONSTER.

mcbeast
12-14-09, 2:15 am
Whats goin on Higa?! Some sick work you all are puttin in over there.. I regret to say my strongman oriented training has been cut drastically short with my back. I will slowly get back to squatting & deadlifting tho.

Hope all is well with you! Lookin forward to vids from your meet, what total are you lookin for?

HIGA MONSTER
12-15-09, 1:21 am
Whats goin on Higa?! Some sick work you all are puttin in over there.. I regret to say my strongman oriented training has been cut drastically short with my back. I will slowly get back to squatting & deadlifting tho.

Hope all is well with you! Lookin forward to vids from your meet, what total are you lookin for?

Miss seeing you around to bro!

I figured I would try to beat the current Washington state USAPL Raw records in my class:
522.5 squat
435.5 bench press
550 deadlift
1375 total

I haven't competed in a Powerlifting meet in a while, so it should be fun.
Its weird to bench press again...we always do overhead stuff in Strongman, so kinda weird to get back to that.

Zack and Tyler are going to do it too.

HIGA MONSTER

Maccabee
12-15-09, 10:09 pm
I used to drive 11 Western states for Atlas Van Lines. I used to pickup shipments from Hawaii from this warehouse in Kent, WA.

After moving from Oregon to Washington, I was looking for a place to store my strongman equipment.
You don't wanna leave this stuff in a commercial gym and have some rookie try to lift it and drop a stone on his foot. It can be a liability factor.

We were able to pay a monthly storage fee and store my equipment there. I just ask my training partners to chip in $15 per month to workout at the Warehouse. The payment comes out of my checking acccount once a month.

Its a moving company's warehouse, so we are able to do our exercises in b/w the alleys that a forklift would drive through.
It can be cold in the winter, but its still dry and we are able to train.

We are able to workout anytime during the week, but Saturday mornings seem to be the best time that all of us can meet and not have it interfere with our family/work schedules.

The dispatcher is awesome there. I take care of him by always bringing him contest shirts or posters. And occasional cases of Bud Light!

Later!
HIGA MONSTER.

Haha thats pretty cool. Best of luck to you on the meet.

wedge
12-16-09, 12:19 pm
I am envious of your set up brother. I train every other Sunday morning at a YMCA with some other like minded individuals. We have all we need, minus giant Civic rocks....

I am having a rough time with the round stones. I once barely lapped the 200 lber (our lightest right now) and can normally break ground with it (again, just barely). Do you have any tips or suggestions of things I could do?

andrewT
12-16-09, 10:38 pm
Hey HIGA

nice article on the front man!
I am not a powerlifter by any means but I try to centre my training as a mix between bbing and powerlifting concepts!

hang loose brotha!

HIGA MONSTER
12-17-09, 9:37 am
I am envious of your set up brother. I train every other Sunday morning at a YMCA with some other like minded individuals. We have all we need, minus giant Civic rocks....

I am having a rough time with the round stones. I once barely lapped the 200 lber (our lightest right now) and can normally break ground with it (again, just barely). Do you have any tips or suggestions of things I could do?

Wedge,
Your probably have the back strength to lift and load that stone. However, maybe its your "hugging strength" that needs work. Meaning, you are having a hard time squeezing the stone in your arms to get it off the ground.

Make sure you are squeezing the entire surface of your inner arms onto the stone. Not just your hands.
If the stone is rolling forward or backwards while you are trying to break it off the ground, most likely you are not squeezing your entire inner arms on it.

Also, don't drop into a squat while trying to break a stone off the ground. You should be right over it and pick it like a RDL or stiff legged deadlift.
If you squat into it, your knees will shoot the stone forward cause your inner thighs are pushing your arms forward as you are picking it.

Make sense? How much do you weigh?
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-17-09, 9:42 am
Hey HIGA

nice article on the front man!
I am not a powerlifter by any means but I try to centre my training as a mix between bbing and powerlifting concepts!

hang loose brotha!

andrewT,
Thanks for the props on the article! I really appreciate it!

Keep up the good work on your training!
I am not a Bodybuilder either, but I still have to take some BB'ing approaches to my training as well. Thats whats cool about posting on this Forum...we are connected as braddah's in the iron game whether its Strongman, Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, MMA, etc.

"WE ARE FRICKIN ANIMALS!"

Later!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-19-09, 9:17 pm
Taken during our workout this morning at the WAREHOUSE.

205 lb Atlas Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ILnV_sjaQ

250 lb Atlas Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c12PGNypmw

I'm gonna lockout that 250 one day. My ass was beat after 2 hours of training with my crew.

Aloha!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-19-09, 10:34 pm
This is my 49 years young training partner, Rocco Liogghio. He is the defending Masters Heavyweight National Champion (Amateur Strongman).

403 lb "Civic Stone". This was also from our workout this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7_I4OSoUU

HIGA MONSTER

wedge
12-21-09, 1:46 pm
Wedge,
Your probably have the back strength to lift and load that stone. However, maybe its your "hugging strength" that needs work. Meaning, you are having a hard time squeezing the stone in your arms to get it off the ground.

Make sure you are squeezing the entire surface of your inner arms onto the stone. Not just your hands.
If the stone is rolling forward or backwards while you are trying to break it off the ground, most likely you are not squeezing your entire inner arms on it.

Also, don't drop into a squat while trying to break a stone off the ground. You should be right over it and pick it like a RDL or stiff legged deadlift.
If you squat into it, your knees will shoot the stone forward cause your inner thighs are pushing your arms forward as you are picking it.

Make sense? How much do you weigh?
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks bro. I'll give this a try Sunday.
I currently weight 204, but I'm cutting in Rage's contest right now.

wedge
12-27-09, 6:32 pm
Hit up the stones today. Using your suggestions and a little coaching, I had no trouble lapping the 200 lb stone. Transition to put it over the bar is another matter.
Baby steps.

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-09, 1:25 am
Hit up the stones today. Using your suggestions and a little coaching, I had no trouble lapping the 200 lb stone. Transition to put it over the bar is another matter.
Baby steps.

SWEET! Good job bro! You will have to PM me a video one day of your Stones.

HIGA MONSTER

BennoAus
12-28-09, 5:24 am
just watched your vids bro, and all i can say is fuck yeah. ive only just got into the strongman side of things and damn, you guys have some feats of strength thats for sure. certainly lights a fire inside to lift some heavy arse weight.

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-09, 2:59 pm
just watched your vids bro, and all i can say is fuck yeah. ive only just got into the strongman side of things and damn, you guys have some feats of strength thats for sure. certainly lights a fire inside to lift some heavy arse weight.

Cheers BennoAus! Thanks for the props!
Gonna do that overhead Atlas Stones medley this Saturday, so keep you all posted!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-09, 3:03 pm
Don't do this at home kids! I didn't mean to do it!

It was kinda windy and cold in my garage gym, but me and my buddy Zack still got after some squats. We felt kinda cold and creaky, so it kinda reflected on our attempts.
Last week of training before that Raw Powerlifting contest I am doing on Jan 9th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoMmFuvqFWM

Aloha!
HIGA MONSTER

Cstlfx
12-28-09, 4:03 pm
Good luck at your meet Higa, looking strong!

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-09, 10:15 pm
Good luck at your meet Higa, looking strong!

Mahalo Cstlfx!

I know I can squat 600 lbs Raw, so if I can get 615 lbs on my last attempt with just a belt, I will be happy!
Especially, if I bury it below paralell.

Thanks again!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-30-09, 4:50 pm
This is one of my training partners, Zack Nims.
Kid weighs just under 235 lbs and hit this solid bench today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWIQL4NrWE8

Plus, my bench at home isn't the best for Powerlifting so he could do 385 lbs with his legs firmly planted.
My bench is real shaky thats why, but its my home gym setup that I make the best of.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-05-10, 10:04 am
Here is a video of my training partner Zack Nims. Zack weighs 235 lbs.

Last Saturday, he took a crack at trying to load this nasty 370 lb sandbag that we call the "YOU SUCK" bag, cause it really sucks to pick it up.

He has been trying hard to load this thing onto our 50" tall box, but has failed to do so...till last Saturday!
The bag is an old Army dufflebag filled with some sand tubes & loose sand. Then, we had to duct tape the shit out of it cause when we dropped the dufflebag, the material would start to split.
So when you are all sweaty and trying to pick it up, the duct tape seems slippery.

I made this originally to train for Husafelt Stone carrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDGtmJqdy0

Enjoy!
HIGA MONSTER

wedge
01-05-10, 1:07 pm
Some sick videos big man. I need to venture out your way.

Any recommendations for the transition on the stones? Once I have it lapped, how best would you recommend getting it over the bar (or onto the pedestal in your case).

HIGA MONSTER
01-06-10, 2:25 am
Some sick videos big man. I need to venture out your way.

Any recommendations for the transition on the stones? Once I have it lapped, how best would you recommend getting it over the bar (or onto the pedestal in your case).

Thats where the Front Squats come in to help pop the stone up. And, alot of posterior chain work to help give you the back strength to hoist the stone onto the box, and give you that hip drive.

You need to work on your "hugging strength" too, so that you can hold onto the stone and not let it slip through your arms. Chest flyes, or cable flyes help alot. Or, lifting stones!

Best of luck. Anytime you are in Seattle, you are more than welcome to train with us!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-08-10, 5:11 pm
http://www.break.com/index/worst-nutshot-timing-ever.html

Serves him right. He was cutting that 115 lbs on his back too high, and didn't have the brains to delete this video before it got uploaded onto the Web.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-10-10, 2:25 am
Competed today up in Lynwood, Washington.
Weighed in at 311 lbs

Squat: 285 kilos (628 lbs)
Bench: 187.5 kilos (413 lbs)
Deadlift: 265 kilos (584 lbs)
Total: 1625 lbs

Pretty happy with my last squat. I think I could have done at least 10 lbs more on the 3rd attempt.
Bench press was never my best lift, and I don't train it in Strongman cause we do everything overhead. I might have had another 10 lbs in me though.
Deadlift was terrible. I had a cortisone shot in my L5 last August, so my back strength is weak pulling a bar off the floor. I had a herniated disk and narrowing of the channels. This also affected my squatting, but my squats were on point today!
Need to build my deadlifts up to more than 600 lbs, so I this will be a main focus.

Overall, I went 9 for 9 and on paper broke the Raw records for WA state in my class, except for the Bench Press (435 lbs).
Maybe, I will compete in a Raw USAPL meet this year in WA to officially break those state records.

Here is a video of my last squat. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7FlshjoDoM

HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
01-10-10, 2:40 pm
Great stuff, there, Higa!!!!

mcbeast
01-11-10, 4:54 am
Good stuff Grant! Im gonna have to come train with yall soon! Torn disks dont get fixed, so just got to work around it!

HIGA MONSTER
01-11-10, 2:42 pm
Great stuff, there, Higa!!!!
Thanks alot Dead! It was fun to hit some decent numbers, but made me remember how long a Powerlifting contest can be. It was a long day!

Good stuff Grant! Im gonna have to come train with yall soon! Torn disks dont get fixed, so just got to work around it!

Anytime bro, you know where we are at!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-13-10, 9:29 pm
Gonna try and do a 500 lb rock bottom Front Squat by the end of February.

Just started today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTV8ECU70pU

My back was tight from doing Farmers Deadlifts just before, so I could've been more agressive.

Later!
HIGA MONSTER

BIGLOG
01-15-10, 2:59 pm
What's up Higa

It's Vanco

Lookin' strong

Keep trainin' hard bro

HIGA MONSTER
01-15-10, 6:21 pm
What's up Higa

It's Vanco
Lookin' strong
Keep trainin' hard bro

What's up BIG LOG? Glad to see you on this Forum bro. Hope all is well. You guys got alot of snow up there in Canada?

HIGA MONSTER

BIGLOG
01-16-10, 12:48 am
I moved outta the Northwest for a few months.

I'm back where I grew up (the Detroit area) for a while.

Winter is waaaaay easier down here.

Prob not too much snow in Seattle either lol

You making it to Dubreuilville this year?

Mr. Dead
01-16-10, 10:17 pm
Lookin' forward to seein' you, again, at the Arnold!!! Are you going to be at the Emerald Cup, again...???

HIGA MONSTER
01-17-10, 11:56 am
Lookin' forward to seein' you, again, at the Arnold!!! Are you going to be at the Emerald Cup, again...???

Yes Dead! I will be there at the Emerald Cup. Should be interesting cause its going to be held at the Snoqualmie Casino, but I've never been there yet.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-17-10, 12:10 pm
Yesterday, was my training partner Zack's birthday.
So, we decided to take part in a special "puker" Medley to celebrate.

Seems like my workout crew and I like to do sick stuff like this when one of our birthdays comes up.

1. 694 lb Tire Flip for 22 meters
2. Sled Drag with a sand filled keg & 230 lb person for 22 meters
3. Farmers Walk 234 lbs in each hand for 44 meters (1.5" handles)

FUCKIN BRUTAL.
My legs were jello after the Sled Drag, so it sucked picking up the Farmers Walks cause it was tough to stand up with the cylinders.
I felt like I was walking through a swamp and like I weighed 1,000 lbs.
As you can see, it took 2 videos to film cause it took me forever to recover to finally finish the Farmers Walk.

Part 1 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjYKIfRzuE
Part 2 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPdKLjCJsC0

On a side note, "excessiveendorphins" was able to join us again for a workout.
Braddah came up from Fort Lewis to join us at 7am-9:30am. Which means he had to leave at about 6am to get there. Thats frickin awesome. Don't let excuses hold us back from working out my bros. Make a decision and COMMIT. Thats what makes us all different on this Forum.

The boy looks THICK compared to the last time I saw him.
Must be the Torrent.... ;)

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

mcbeast
01-17-10, 3:12 pm
Grant way to push thru and finish up the farmers walk. To be honest, I think I saw a tear..Haha!

Torrent? I wish my brokeass could afford such good stuff! I would be in the 230's!

HIGA MONSTER
01-18-10, 6:31 pm
Just finished these in my garage gym...

430 lb Front Squat for 3 reps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cDZ0IhdQk0

445 lb Front Squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfIkymR-Qgs

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
01-18-10, 6:34 pm
On a side note, "excessiveendorphins" was able to join us again for a workout.
Braddah came up from Fort Lewis to join us at 7am-9:30am. Which means he had to leave at about 6am to get there. Thats frickin awesome. Don't let excuses hold us back from working out my bros. Make a decision and COMMIT. Thats what makes us all different on this Forum.

The boy looks THICK compared to the last time I saw him.
Must be the Torrent.... ;)

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

I have to say, that after seeing him in the gym, today... I'm very much in agreement...

BIGLOG
01-18-10, 9:24 pm
SAAWEET Front Squats bro

HIGA MONSTER
01-18-10, 11:33 pm
I have to say, that after seeing him in the gym, today... I'm very much in agreement...

No doubt! Must be the Slim Fast that he has been drinking on base. ;)
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-18-10, 11:35 pm
SAAWEET Front Squats bro

Trying to keep it real homie...trying really hard to be as strong as Ragingmuscle and get to the next level.
I still don't have the teardrops on my quads like he does, but I can dream and train harder...

LOL

HIGA MONSTER

mcbeast
01-19-10, 2:19 am
No doubt! Must be the Slim Fast that he has been drinking on base. ;)
HIGA MONSTER

HAHA!

Grant, great squatting! In a few weeks Im going for a 455 back squat..Bastard.

You made 455 look easy, 500 is sure to be yours very soon!

boar
01-19-10, 9:16 pm
http://www.break.com/index/worst-nutshot-timing-ever.html

Serves him right. He was cutting that 115 lbs on his back too high, and didn't have the brains to delete this video before it got uploaded onto the Web.

HIGA MONSTER

I want to marry that chick!

calcaneous
01-19-10, 11:22 pm
Just finished these in my garage gym...

430 lb Front Squat for 3 reps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cDZ0IhdQk0

445 lb Front Squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfIkymR-Qgs

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

1st off, fucking sick squats man.

2nd: i see you use what it looks like wraps when doing the front squats. can you please explain the benefits/reason for doing so?

HIGA MONSTER
01-20-10, 12:08 am
I want to marry that chick!

You are a sick man then Boar! LOL
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-20-10, 12:13 am
1st off, fucking sick squats man.

2nd: i see you use what it looks like wraps when doing the front squats. can you please explain the benefits/reason for doing so?

Thanks man. Trying to keep it real.

Those are lifting straps man. I don't have the shoulder flexibility to properly "rack" a bar like an Olympic Lifter. You know, like when they clean the bar before the "jerk" it?
So, you can just take some lifting straps and grab the ends and hold your elbows up while Front Squatting.

I'm not holding any weight up in my hands...it just forces me to keep my elbows up so that I have an upright torso. This make sense to you?

I am not a good Front Squatter when I cross my hands over my shoulder caps. I feel like the bar is slipping alot more forward, and it mind fucks me more than concentrating on completing the lift.
With the straps, I know that bar is resting just under my clavicle.

Thanks again for the compliments. Hope your training is going well too.
HIGA MONSTER

calcaneous
01-20-10, 1:28 am
Thanks man. Trying to keep it real.

Those are lifting straps man. I don't have the shoulder flexibility to properly "rack" a bar like an Olympic Lifter. You know, like when they clean the bar before the "jerk" it?
So, you can just take some lifting straps and grab the ends and hold your elbows up while Front Squatting.

I'm not holding any weight up in my hands...it just forces me to keep my elbows up so that I have an upright torso. This make sense to you?

I am not a good Front Squatter when I cross my hands over my shoulder caps. I feel like the bar is slipping alot more forward, and it mind fucks me more than concentrating on completing the lift.
With the straps, I know that bar is resting just under my clavicle.

Thanks again for the compliments. Hope your training is going well too.
HIGA MONSTER

wow. im def going to try this now. it never feels right doing a cross-arm position. Always seems like im trying to hold my arms up, rather then focusing on the quads.

HIGA MONSTER
01-20-10, 10:11 pm
Had a stupid idea to do these again, even though I just did them 2 days ago.

455 lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xrwYyGjlE

500 lbs attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGKVJnda4I

Believe it or not, I actually did an easy 475 lbs. It was a PR for me, but my friend didn't catch it on camera till I was done. She's fired... ;)

So after I missed the 500 lbs, I did a 315 lbs squat for 20 reps to punish myself.

That fuckin 500 lbs is going down next week. Stay tuned.
HIGA MONSTER

calcaneous
01-21-10, 12:24 am
Had a stupid idea to do these again, even though I just did them 2 days ago.

455 lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xrwYyGjlE

500 lbs attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGKVJnda4I

Believe it or not, I actually did an easy 475 lbs. It was a PR for me, but my friend didn't catch it on camera till I was done. She's fired... ;)

So after I missed the 500 lbs, I did a 315 lbs squat for 20 reps to punish myself.

That fuckin 500 lbs is going down next week. Stay tuned.
HIGA MONSTER

you can do it man! Dont let the number fuck you up mentally!

HIGA MONSTER
01-23-10, 3:48 pm
Me doing a 300 lb Log Press for 3 reps (12" diameter):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdA71jgHctI

Me loading the 370lb "YOU SUCK" sandbag (I haven't touched this thing in over 3 years cause it SUCKS to pickup & load:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMf1zclUWg

Zack Nims loading the "YOU SUCK" sandbag. Zack only weighs 235 lbs by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZR76W9llg8

Me doing the "YOU SUCK" sandbag for a 2nd time. I was aiming to shoulder it, then load it onto our 50" tall box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7TRD9va-UY

Zack Nims KILLING the "YOU SUCK" sandbag for his 2nd attempt. He said he "farted" while coming up with it, so that must have helped!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_IqoUUSy6U

Zack Nims EASILY picking up the 403 lb "Civic Stone":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veoa6hqtP60

Kristyn Vytlacil loading a 185 lb stone for 3 reps, onto a 50" box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJl5LQnBtg

Finally, Kristyn doing a 426 lb Yoke Walk for 100 feet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBju7V60S1o

Zack and Kristyn are getting ready for a contest on Feb 13th called "The Snowman Challenge" in Meridian, Idaho.
I'm just getting ready to show up at THE CAGE. :)

Have a good weekend,
HIGA MONSTER

hackingmachine
01-24-10, 12:07 am
Hello sir i have order Animal product i need little bit of help plz

i have ordr

2 - Animal Stak
1 Animal M-stak
1 Animal Pump

Iam 80 KILO's no fats i been playn for 2 years now

i want to Stak this products

shouild i take 1st Animal stak+Pump then after it finish i go right in M stak and after m stak finish go in STAK again with no WEEKS OFF ?

THNKS i would be glad if u help me :)

Animal Rep
01-25-10, 11:51 am
Hello sir i have order Animal product i need little bit of help plz

i have ordr

2 - Animal Stak
1 Animal M-stak
1 Animal Pump

Iam 80 KILO's no fats i been playn for 2 years now

i want to Stak this products

shouild i take 1st Animal stak+Pump then after it finish i go right in M stak and after m stak finish go in STAK again with no WEEKS OFF ?

THNKS i would be glad if u help me :)

Yo brother, wrong spot to post. I actually answered your question in your other thread my man.

HIGA MONSTER
01-25-10, 5:25 pm
Still on track for my goal of 500 lbs Front Squat.

485 lbs Front Squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiBh2R8hL8

Then, I did a 405 lbs x 20 reps. Zack wanted me to do 21 reps, but I had already committed to pausing the last rep when he said that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzcCYq3GHo

PS, tell Rx Muscle to recognize ANIMALS when they see them. Fockers...
HIGA MONSTER

C.Coronato
01-26-10, 9:18 am
Looking real good Higa. Look forward to meeting you at The Cage my man.

G Diesel
01-26-10, 10:09 am
Crushed 405 x 20 effortlessly on the squat. Sick shit ya big freak.

Peace, G

HIGA MONSTER
01-26-10, 10:24 am
Looking real good Higa. Look forward to meeting you at The Cage my man.

Me too bro! First time to the Arnold for me, and looking forward to meeting everyone on this Forum!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-26-10, 10:27 am
Crushed 405 x 20 effortlessly on the squat. Sick shit ya big freak.

Peace, G

Thanks G,
I need to do 500 x 20 reps.

The most I ever done was 485 lbs x 16 reps while working out with the late Jesse Marunde 6 years ago. I need to try and shoot for that goal again.
Anybody ever did the SUPER SQUATS routine? That is a gnarly mutha. The goal is to do a 500 lbs squat x 20 reps, then superset a Still-leg deadlift for 15 reps right after, then do a Dumbbell Chest Pullover.

The pullover is the easiest part cause you are expanding your chest and getting some recovery. After the 13th squat, thats when you need a gut check to get through the rest of the workout.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
01-31-10, 3:02 am
I did this while visiting my in-laws in Hood River, Oregon.

502.5 lb Front Squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcdeEwVldY

Then, 3 minutes later I stripped the plates down and did this 405 lbs backsquat.
HIGA IS COMING TO THE CAGE. HARD. Me and Enforcer are gonna dunk some weight around in Ohio. Get ready:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EEy1pKjhEo

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

TigerAce01
01-31-10, 8:27 pm
Daaaaamn brother...that 405lbs x 22 blew my mind...that was really impressive.

-Ace

HIGA MONSTER
02-01-10, 12:16 am
Daaaaamn brother...that 405lbs x 22 blew my mind...that was really impressive.

-Ace

Thanks alot bro! Gonna step it up for THE CAGE.
Hope your training is going well too!

HIGA MONSTER

widdlewade44
02-01-10, 12:24 am
Higa, I watched both today's videos earlier and that shit was inspirational to say the least!

It's going to be off the hook and hinges when you hit the CAGE next month! Good luck with your training brother, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

HIGA MONSTER
02-01-10, 2:05 am
Higa, I watched both today's videos earlier and that shit was inspirational to say the least!

It's going to be off the hook and hinges when you hit the CAGE next month! Good luck with your training brother, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks alot bro!
Best of luck in your training too, and I hope to meet you in person one day. Its going to be a good time in Columbus!

HIGA MONSTER

TigerAce01
02-01-10, 2:59 pm
Thanks alot bro! Gonna step it up for THE CAGE.
Hope your training is going well too!

HIGA MONSTER

Training's going pretty well brother, I'm starting 5/3/1 for a meet soon. I was doing a 20 rep squat program for a while, which is why those squats impressed me so much...I only got up to 215 x 20...I'm definitely keeping tabs on you from now on haha Higa power!

-Ace

mritter3
02-01-10, 3:09 pm
great squatting right there Higa...looked easy...cant wait to see you tear it up at the cage bro

HIGA MONSTER
02-06-10, 4:27 pm
Me and my crew had a great day of training today.
Zack and Kristyn are getting ready to compete in the "Snowman Challenge" on Feb 13th in Meridian, Idaho.

Me, I am just getting ready for the CAGE and my posedown with The Freak. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shp17Y-sItc

Tyler Scott lifting the 403 lb "Civic Stone". Tyler is the finder of this stone, and brought it to the Warehouse in his Honda Civic passenger seat.
And he weighes only 231 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gEa5XCD3AI

Zack Nims easily picking up the 403 lb "Civic Stone" for 2 reps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A6yniKQKzY

Kristyn Vytlacil 436 lb Yoke Walk for 100 feet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUTbZXslh98

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
02-12-10, 3:59 pm
Check out my boy Robbie in this video.

I've seen him do this "live" at the Warehouse a couple of years ago.
This was a PR though for him with this INSANE lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ONV2RcYVbc

Here is him doing these Muscle-ups in the same workout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqn1Nr-5MRA

Nice shirt too, by the way.

This kid can frickin do some insane Box Jumps too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmQBcox_oE

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Little Z
02-12-10, 9:30 pm
Those box jumps are INSANE! hahah

Mr. Dead
02-13-10, 1:22 am
After my last show for the year, in mid-August... I'm going to take you to an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet that I know of... And, it will be you vs. me... Game...???

HIGA MONSTER
02-14-10, 1:59 am
After my last show for the year, in mid-August... I'm going to take you to an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet that I know of... And, it will be you vs. me... Game...???

Game on!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
02-14-10, 2:00 am
As usual, we finished up with some chain dragging to blast the quads.
Plus, its good cross-training for the 405 reps in the CAGE!
The 2nd and 3rd time around is the worst!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JheuxKQCc

Enjoy!
HIGA MONSTER

Cstlfx
02-14-10, 2:15 am
That is one hell of a way to finish up a workout! How much did that chain run you, and how did you get it?

HIGA MONSTER
02-14-10, 11:49 am
That is one hell of a way to finish up a workout! How much did that chain run you, and how did you get it?

Yea man, after working on events for 2 hours every Saturday, we always drag the chain or a heavy sled.
The chain is harder to hold in the hands, and the sled is easier to hold. However, the sled can be a bitch too cause we can load 2 heavy kegs in it and someone can sit on one of the kegs to create more friction.

We bought that chain almost 6 years ago from this Industrial scrapyard in Seattle. It was located almost 2 miles south of where Safeco Field is where the Mariner's play.
Each link weighs 55 lbs. They sold individual links or whole chains. After telling me how much a link was, I could decide how long I wanted the chain and the employee just torch-cut through one of the long chains they sold.
That chain was originally 15 links long when I first saw it!

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
02-20-10, 7:07 pm
Here are some videos of my crazy training partners, Tyler and Zack.
This was from our workout this morning at THE WAREHOUSE.

We just try to set up a ghetto version of a plyometric box with pallets & bumper plates, and they jump on this shit.

Notice in the first video Zack is only wearing socks...I get heel spurs just watching him do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZhhhfC_c8

Then after jumping on that, they moved to the 50 1/8" tall box that we usually load kegs onto. Zack saved it on his landing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TG9VlmC2tc

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
03-08-10, 11:42 am
Higa!!! It was truly great seeing you, at the Cage!!! Looking forward to the Emerald Cup!!!

HIGA MONSTER
03-08-10, 2:05 pm
Higa!!! It was truly great seeing you, at the Cage!!! Looking forward to the Emerald Cup!!!

Yea brah! See you there!
HIGA MONSTER

G Diesel
03-08-10, 2:10 pm
Higa... You're a FREAK.

Great chilling with you this weekend bro.

Peace, G

HIGA MONSTER
03-09-10, 11:27 am
Higa... You're a FREAK.

Great chilling with you this weekend bro.

Peace, G

No doubt G. It was great to be with you guys too.
HIGA MONSTER

shortstack
03-09-10, 12:01 pm
Hey Higa,

I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the cage but your squats were awesome bro. Your intensity was through the roof and you put up great #'s for 405.

Talk to you again soon bro,

Jeremy

Firedrake
03-09-10, 8:00 pm
Grant,

It was great meeting you Thursday night during Rage's torture session with Mr. D and I -- and then watching your own work over the weekend made me definitely feel like small potatoes -- great stuff!

HIGA MONSTER
03-10-10, 1:24 am
Hey Higa,

I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the cage but your squats were awesome bro. Your intensity was through the roof and you put up great #'s for 405.

Talk to you again soon bro,

Jeremy

Jeremy,
Yes, I'm sorry I couldn't speak to you either bro. I hope you had fun, and thanks for the great comments. I was proud to represent Animal in the Cage, and to meet everyone there.

Grant,

It was great meeting you Thursday night during Rage's torture session with Mr. D and I -- and then watching your own work over the weekend made me definitely feel like small potatoes -- great stuff!

Firedrake,
You are an inspiration, and it was great to hear your story and how your body is today as compared to what it was. You are in good hands training with Rage.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-11-10, 9:53 am
Now that the Arnold is over, I have 1.5 weeks to get my cardio up to get ready for "THE BIG CLIMB".

This is the 2nd year that I have done this event, and its the hardest physical thing I have ever done.
I would rather pull a semi-truck in a Strongman contest. Seriously. However, its a great cause for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Seattle.

Here is a link: http://www.llswa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BC_homepage

Last year, I finished 2 seconds under 22 minutes. I am trying to do this under 20 minutes this year.
I stopped at the 27th floor, then the 40th floor last year. I hope I don't stop at any floor this year, but that is going to be a challenge.

My team raised over $2,600 last year for this great cause. We are on track to beat that mark.

1,311 steps of pain.
However, its nothing compared to what a person that its going through chemotherapy for these blood cancers. Thats what my motivation is.

Keep you posted! March 21st is coming up soon!
HIGA MONSTER

ghost
03-11-10, 9:55 am
As usual, we finished up with some chain dragging to blast the quads.
Plus, its good cross-training for the 405 reps in the CAGE!
The 2nd and 3rd time around is the worst!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JheuxKQCc

Enjoy!
HIGA MONSTER

Higa, i want that chain. hahahahaha

Razor
03-11-10, 9:56 am
Now that the Arnold is over, I have 1.5 weeks to get my cardio up to get ready for "THE BIG CLIMB".

This is the 2nd year that I have done this event, and its the hardest physical thing I have ever done.
I would rather pull a semi-truck in a Strongman contest. Seriously. However, its a great cause for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Seattle.

Here is a link: http://www.llswa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BC_homepage

Last year, I finished 2 seconds under 22 minutes. I am trying to do this under 20 minutes this year.
I stopped at the 27th floor, then the 40th floor last year. I hope I don't stop at any floor this year, but that is going to be a challenge.

My team raised over $2,600 last year for this great cause. We are on track to beat that mark.

1,311 steps of pain.
However, its nothing compared to what a person that its going through chemotherapy for these blood cancers. Thats what my motivation is.

Keep you posted! March 21st is coming up soon!
HIGA MONSTER

Very killer brother! Great cause and great challenge. All the best of luck bro and i'll be reading from here on out!

HIGA MONSTER
03-11-10, 10:21 am
Very killer brother! Great cause and great challenge. All the best of luck bro and i'll be reading from here on out!

Thanks Razor.
Alot of my clients do the Climb with me, but I get a hard time cause I weigh 305 lbs and have to go up that much steps.

Like I said before, I'd rather pull a semi-truck. Hell, I might add the 405 lbs for reps that we did at The Arnold to that list too.
Its the most physical thing I have ever done. No joke.

HIGA MONSTER

The Freak
03-11-10, 1:56 pm
HIGA ,

I ve pulled trucks in thw parking lot, draggged 4 45plates 100 yards.. its def a awesomes condtioning drilll.
hmmm i tihnk its time to up the ante on the squat... 405 for 2 yrs ,,time for new weight,,,i say 500lbs for reps... sets the men from the boys.... lol

smoothballer
03-11-10, 2:39 pm
Higa. I am disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet you down at the Cage last weekend. I will definitely make a point to do so next year. Nice job in the squat competition. I was in awe as you picked up that big ass rock and carried it around the Cage.

I was reading a post you made on Phil's Cage Recap about how you helped them out with squat form at Metro. It made me think about how bad my squat form is. I have really just started the last few months squatting regularly and I feel completely off balance, falling forward/backwards, and never feel like I am going deep enough. I have tried watching videos and reading articles online, but I am finding contradicting theories like how wide of a stance to take, look up/look down/look straight ahead, hip drive, etc. I know form will vary from person to person because of height and size, but the basic form and movement shouldn't change, right? I am 6'2 and 195 lbs by the way. I figure who better to maybe give me some pointers than a strongman.

-Derek

BigAnt
03-11-10, 11:17 pm
You are one strong...VERY STRONG GUY, super nice and very cool to work-hang out with...Your wife is also a beautiful and supportive lady...you two are great for each other...Hope we can hang out sooner and spend more time in the cage-training-eating next year!

Continue to better your self..and do what you do best!

HIGA MONSTER
03-12-10, 1:49 am
Higa. I am disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet you down at the Cage last weekend. I will definitely make a point to do so next year. Nice job in the squat competition. I was in awe as you picked up that big ass rock and carried it around the Cage.

I was reading a post you made on Phil's Cage Recap about how you helped them out with squat form at Metro. It made me think about how bad my squat form is. I have really just started the last few months squatting regularly and I feel completely off balance, falling forward/backwards, and never feel like I am going deep enough. I have tried watching videos and reading articles online, but I am finding contradicting theories like how wide of a stance to take, look up/look down/look straight ahead, hip drive, etc. I know form will vary from person to person because of height and size, but the basic form and movement shouldn't change, right? I am 6'2 and 195 lbs by the way. I figure who better to maybe give me some pointers than a strongman.

-Derek

Derek,
IMO, there are 3 rules that you need to apply while doing a proper squat.
1. Always keep you chest up while going up & down in a squat. Its kinda like spreading your breastbone. The moment you look down, you end up using your lower back and start to either good morning it, or not making the lift. Plus, you risk injuring your lower back.
2. Hold the abs in tight at all times. Hold your navel up & in towards your spine while performing a squat.
3. HINGE at the hips when you start to squat. Alot of people make the mistake of shooting their knees forward as they start to squat. You need to make sure that you hinge the junction where the top of your thigh meets your hips, like you are going to sit on an imaginary chair.
Don't start squatting with your knees and tuck your tail like a "scared dog". Does this make sense?

Best of luck with your training. Let me know if you have any other questions.
HIGA MONSTER

You are one strong...VERY STRONG GUY, super nice and very cool to work-hang out with...Your wife is also a beautiful and supportive lady...you two are great for each other...Hope we can hang out sooner and spend more time in the cage-training-eating next year!

Continue to better your self..and do what you do best!

Big Ant,
It was great to meet you and work with you in the Cage. Thanks for the kind words, and I hope we can meet up again soon brah. Thanks again for the positive comments. I'm glad to be a part of Team Animal.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-12-10, 1:53 am
HIGA ,

I ve pulled trucks in thw parking lot, draggged 4 45plates 100 yards.. its def a awesomes condtioning drilll.
hmmm i tihnk its time to up the ante on the squat... 405 for 2 yrs ,,time for new weight,,,i say 500lbs for reps... sets the men from the boys.... lol

Are you pulling Tonka Trucks at World Gym? That doesn't count "Freak". LOL

Dude, I know that driveway at your gym is a beast. I would hate to drag something up that incline. I remember watching a trainer take a client up that driveway at the "California's Strongest Man" contest 2 years ago. It was brutal!

500 sounds great! Lets see what Corporate decides next year. Maybe, it will be who wears the most hairgel contest...you would win hands down. Then Rage would be a distant 2nd place. HAHAHA!

HIGA MONSTER

smoothballer
03-12-10, 9:18 am
Derek,
IMO, there are 3 rules that you need to apply while doing a proper squat.
1. Always keep you chest up while going up & down in a squat. Its kinda like spreading your breastbone. The moment you look down, you end up using your lower back and start to either good morning it, or not making the lift. Plus, you risk injuring your lower back.
2. Hold the abs in tight at all times. Hold your navel up & in towards your spine while performing a squat.
3. HINGE at the hips when you start to squat. Alot of people make the mistake of shooting their knees forward as they start to squat. You need to make sure that you hinge the junction where the top of your thigh meets your hips, like you are going to sit on an imaginary chair.
Don't start squatting with your knees and tuck your tail like a "scared dog". Does this make sense?

Best of luck with your training. Let me know if you have any other questions.
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks Higa. I think I was definitely starting to good morning it some trying to accomplish hip drive. It seems like I went from one extreme to the other...from squatting totally with my knees to looking down at the floor and using my lower back to get it going. I don't hit legs again til next week, but I will definitely use your rules next lift.

-Derek

HIGA MONSTER
03-12-10, 10:33 am
Thanks Higa. I think I was definitely starting to good morning it some trying to accomplish hip drive. It seems like I went from one extreme to the other...from squatting totally with my knees to looking down at the floor and using my lower back to get it going. I don't hit legs again til next week, but I will definitely use your rules next lift.

-Derek

Another cool trick to improve squat form, is to squat facing a wall.
Start being 1 foot away from the wall and focus on keeping the chest up and hinging at your hips.
If you hit the wall with your forehead or your kneecaps, your form is improper.

Follow the same 3 rules I told you about earlier, and do it facing the wall. Proper squat form will not make you touch the wall with any part of your body. It will skim right in front of you.

HIGA MONSTER

smoothballer
03-12-10, 10:44 am
Another cool trick to improve squat form, is to squat facing a wall.
Start being 1 foot away from the wall and focus on keeping the chest up and hinging at your hips.
If you hit the wall with your forehead or your kneecaps, your form is improper.

Follow the same 3 rules I told you about earlier, and do it facing the wall. Proper squat form will not make you touch the wall with any part of your body. It will skim right in front of you.

HIGA MONSTER

Interesting technique. Definitely gonna give that one a try.
I have a feeling a might land on my ass a few times before I get this one down...LOL!

-Derek

HIGA MONSTER
03-12-10, 12:02 pm
Interesting technique. Definitely gonna give that one a try.
I have a feeling a might land on my ass a few times before I get this one down...LOL!

-Derek

Here is a video example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31z5DR9P1kw

HIGA MONSTER

smoothballer
03-12-10, 12:53 pm
Here is a video example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31z5DR9P1kw

HIGA MONSTER

Thanks Higa, the video helped. I actually snuck off to the bathroom at work to give it a whirl...shh! I can see that I am gonna need to practice. It went pretty well when I had my arms hanging down, but when I grabbed a broomstick and threw it across my shoulders and tried it, I kept falling backwards at the bottom right before parallel. Maybe I let my abs loosen or something. I will keep working on it.

-Derek

HIGA MONSTER
03-12-10, 6:40 pm
Since I am doing the Big Climb on 3/23, I wanted to do some light cardio stuff at the Warehouse today.

635 lb Yoke for 72 feet, 185 lb stone carry for 72 feet, then a brutal 450 lb sled that I couldn't even use my legs to drag.
I was just rowing the sled for 48 feet. That sucked ass, cause I wanted to get more of a leg burn, but I had too much weight from the kegs in the sled.

The kegs were 290 lbs in the back, and a 160 lb keg in the front of the sled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTCYx1CUtI

Then, my training partner Ryan doing some Farmers Walks. 164 lbs in each hand. 1.5" diameter handles.
Ryan weighs only 200 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tFCUZGZjQ

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER

Aggression
03-13-10, 2:32 pm
Big HIGA! I'll definitely be poppin' my head in here.

HIGA MONSTER
03-13-10, 8:46 pm
Big HIGA! I'll definitely be poppin' my head in here.

Right on bro! Hope all is well! It was great to finally meet you at the Cage.
Anytime you are in Seattle, let me know.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-13-10, 8:49 pm
Correction: That was 184 lbs in each hand for Ryan's Farmers Walk video. Sorry!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-15-10, 6:00 pm
225 Front squat x 10 reps, 225 back squat x 10 reps, 143 lb Axle stiff legs x 15 reps, Back Extensions x 15 reps, 10 second plank on BOSU x 3 sets. (feet together, cross 1 side then cross the other side)

Trying to do some light weight training, cause I am doing the Big Climb of Seattle this Sunday 3/21.
Gonna do some stair climbs tonight in my work building, so didn't want to kill my legs today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoffhK2p_Gg

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

smoothballer
03-15-10, 10:03 pm
Higa,

Hit legs today and squats went much better. I have been doing the wall squats a few times a day. They are a really good teaching technique. I figured out that your first 2 rules that I wasn't following were the ones really holding me back. Looking up definitely helped my chest up. But I believe my real problem was my abs. I was letting my abs loose at the bottom of the squat so it was very hard to keep my body tight to push the weight back up in a smooth motion. So I was way off balance.

I will keep working on it and hopefully the weights will go up as my form improves.

Thanks Higa
-Derek

HIGA MONSTER
03-16-10, 12:57 am
Higa,

Hit legs today and squats went much better. I have been doing the wall squats a few times a day. They are a really good teaching technique. I figured out that your first 2 rules that I wasn't following were the ones really holding me back. Looking up definitely helped my chest up. But I believe my real problem was my abs. I was letting my abs loose at the bottom of the squat so it was very hard to keep my body tight to push the weight back up in a smooth motion. So I was way off balance.

I will keep working on it and hopefully the weights will go up as my form improves.

Thanks Higa
-Derek

Solid man!
Good to hear. Better to work and improve on your form, before going up with crazy weight and risk injury.

Keep me posted, and I'm glad to help.
HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
03-19-10, 4:54 pm
Just got back from the Warehouse...this will be my last workout until Sunday's Big Climb of Seattle.

675 lb Yoke for 96 feet;
204 lbs in each hand Farmers Walk for 96 feet;
694 lb Tire flip for 48 feet (I fuckin slacked & ended up flipping 1 more time cause I didn't break the finish line. Idiot Higa...)
10 plyometric jumps onto the Tire. (25.5" tall)

Yea, my plyos suck. However, I'm trying to improve them. And my legs were pretty shot after the previous 3 exercises in the circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvRq-K_5E

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
03-19-10, 4:57 pm
Nice session!!! Good luck with the climb!!!

Mr. Dead
03-19-10, 4:57 pm
Just got back from the Warehouse...this will be my last workout until Sunday's Big Climb of Seattle.

675 lb Yoke for 96 feet;
204 lbs in each hand Farmers Walk for 96 feet;
694 lb Tire flip for 48 feet (I fuckin slacked & ended up flipping 1 more time cause I didn't break the finish line. Idiot Higa...)
10 plyometric jumps onto the Tire. (25.5" tall)

Yea, my plyos suck. However, I'm trying to improve them. And my legs were pretty shot after the previous 3 exercises in the circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvRq-K_5E

Have a good weekend!
HIGA MONSTER
*Courtesy bump...*

mcbeast
03-19-10, 6:10 pm
*Courtesy bump...*

Beast-Status.

HIGA MONSTER
03-21-10, 7:30 pm
Just got home.

I finished the Big Climb with a time of 21 minutes 42.75 seconds.
This was 16 seconds faster than what I did last year.

I had a team of 13 members, and we raised $5,300 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Washington.

I felt like I had an easier time doing it, but started to gas out at the 60th floor a bit.
I didn't use any handrails and got my 300 lbs ass up those stairs!

Thanks to all of you on this board! Definitely gonna do it again next year, and try to break the 21 minute barrier.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

mcbeast
03-21-10, 9:30 pm
Just got home.

I had a team of 13 members, and we raised $5,300 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Washington.

I felt like I had an easier time doing it, but started to gas out at the 60th floor a bit.

Thanks to all of you on this board! Definitely gonna do it again next year, and try to break the 21 minute barrier.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Nice man. I just looked into this. I would like to participate next year.

J-Dawg
03-24-10, 9:24 am
Just got home.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

That's awesome to hear Higa. Way to beat last year's time and raise money for such a great cause.

Mr. Dead
03-24-10, 11:22 am
Nice man. I just looked into this. I would like to participate next year.

x2!!!

HIGA MONSTER
03-27-10, 6:31 pm
It was a great day of training at the Warehouse.
Alot of my fellow "Higa Monsters" were there representing my training crew, and Mr Dead & Scott came to workout with us for the first time.

Even though Mr Dead and Scott have never done this type of training before, I wanted to make sure they were comfortable with us and test out some unique & unorthodox exercises.

Alex Whitaker drove up from Monmouth, OR last night to workout with us.
He is competing in the "Golden State Strongman Challenge" on April 17th.
Farmers walk 294 lbs in each hand, then carry a 250 lb Keg for 96 feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOqyfhLafU

Excessiveendorphins and Sailinscotti doing 20 flips each with a 400 lb tire.
I didn't film the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdw-Ps7tLMo

Zack Nims doing the 294 lbs Farmers Walk & 250 Keg carry for 96 feet each way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNPx203KB4Y

HIGA MONSTER pulling a 40,000 lb tractor/trailer. We had a hard time finding a level area to do it, so just had to adjust and nut up. However, it didn't go far to my liking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCLQerpSXGg

Sadly, my training partner Ryan Petrosky dropped the log onto his right foot while Eddie & Scott were doing their 20 tire flips.

Ryan's bone in his right big toe split in half, and he has a slight crack in his #2 toe. He will be out for at least 6 weeks and is on crutches & a boot.
This sucks cause he just got over healing his LEFT foot that he hurt in last Thanksgiving's Turkey Bowl. Now he injured his right foot, and will set him back again.

Thanks to Mr Dead for bringing some Animal Pak giveaways to the crew that worked out today. We also signed his banner and hope that we can do this again at the WAREHOUSE.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Mr. Dead
03-29-10, 4:37 pm
It was great to see you, again!!! You've definitely got a very strong and solid crew, there!!! Thanks, again, for having us out there!!!

SailinScotty
03-29-10, 10:14 pm
Higa,
Wanted to say thanks again for the oppurtunity to train with you and your crew. You guys were great hosts and I had a blast trying strongman for the first time.

Scott