PDA

View Full Version : Dave Tate's Strong(er) vs. Wendler 5/3/1

braves561
06-25-09, 8:05 pm
Which should I do for Pro Wrestling school?

prowrestler
06-25-09, 10:56 pm
Which should I do for Pro Wrestling school?

neither.
look into a 4 day split routine. somethin like

monday chest, tuesday back biceps, thursday legs, friday delts triceps. weekends off.

do your interval cardio especialy if you got an upcommin show, walking speed for 5 mins, all out burst for 30 seconds, walkin speed for 5 mins, high speed for 1 minute. repeat.

pro wrestling is not powerlifting, your main concern is to get bigger, not stronger neccesarily. you need to be built and in top cardiovascular shape.

you need to train for your sport if you wanna do the best you can in it.

braves561
06-27-09, 6:09 pm
neither.

monday chest, tuesday back biceps, thursday legs, friday delts triceps. weekends off.

do your interval cardio especialy if you got an upcommin show, walking speed for 5 mins, all out burst for 30 seconds, walkin speed for 5 mins, high speed for 1 minute. repeat.

pro wrestling is not powerlifting, your main concern is to get bigger, not stronger neccesarily. you need to be built and in top cardiovascular shape.

Thanks a lot Prowrestler!

How does this look to you?

Chest/Tri's

Barbell Bench 5x5
Incline DB Bench 4x8-10
Dips 3 x 6-10
DB Flies 3 x 8-10
Tricep Pressdowns 3 x 8-10

Back/Bi's

Deadlifts 5x5 ALT. every other week with Rack Pulls 5x5
Barbell Rows 4x8-12
Pull-Ups 3x8-15
BB Shrug 3x8-10 ALT. every week with DB Shrugs 3x8-10
DB Curl 3x6-10

Legs/Calves

Squat 5x5
Leg Press 4x6-10
Leg Extensions 3x8-10
Leg Curl 3x8-10
Barbell Lunges 3x6-10
Standing Calf Raises 3x8-10
Seated Calf Raises 3x8-10

OFF

Shoulders/Lats

Barbell Standing Military Press 5x5
Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3x8-10
Arnold Press 3x6-10
Lat Pulldowns 3x8-10 ALT. each week between over/underhand grip
Chin-Ups 3x8-10

Arms/Calves

Close Grip Bench Press 4x6-10
Barbell Curl 3x6-10
Skullcrusher 3x8-10
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8-12
Seated Calf Raises 4x8-12
Standing Calf Raises 4x8-12

OFF

Cardio is done 3 times per week 30-40 minutes usually not at a high speed..

Cstlfx
06-27-09, 6:29 pm
neither.

I didnt think Dave's Strong(er) series was powerlifting, thats why I never looked too far into it. I thought it was a basic overall strength, size, conditioning, health program.

T o m m Y
06-27-09, 10:59 pm
I didnt think Dave's Strong(er) series was powerlifting, thats why I never looked too far into it. I thought it was a basic overall strength, size, conditioning, health program.

Yes you are right,its for str,size,cond...

Cstlfx
06-28-09, 12:24 am
For wrestling I think strongman lifts would be great. Tire flips, farmers walk, different carries of kegs or barrels or stones or sandbags, atlas stone lifts, and other such things not only build strength but increase cardiovascular abilities.

Young&Hungry
06-28-09, 1:44 pm
1. Name all of your goals.
2. Find which activities, whether they involve weight lifting or not, will suit you best to fulfill the goals you stated.
3. Assemble them into an intelligently periodized, multidisciplinary program that will build each aspect to your goals.
4. Stick with that program and do not change a thing for a minimum of 16 weeks.

TXPWRLFTR
06-29-09, 4:55 pm
Find what works best for you bro. Training is tailored to your needs...

prowrestler
06-30-09, 12:26 am

i was refferin to wendelrs 531 when i mentoind powerlifting lol, but what i really wanted to send home was he should not train as a powerlifter ( i know he likes PL style training) but as a wrestler he aspires to be.

i wouldnt be teachin someone how to throw a football if he was a golfer kinda thing

prowrestler
06-30-09, 12:32 am
Thanks a lot Prowrestler!

How does this look to you?

Chest/Tri's

Barbell Bench 5x5
Incline DB Bench 4x8-10
Dips 3 x 6-10
DB Flies 3 x 10-15
Tricep Pressdowns 3 x 8-10

Back/Bi's

Barbell Rows 4x8-12
Pull-Ups 4x8-15
face pulls,3x15
BB Shrug 3x8-10 ALT. every week with DB Shrugs 3x8-10
hammer Curl 3x6-10

Legs/Calves

Squat 5x5
Leg Press 4x6-10
Deadlifts 5x5 ALT. every other week with Rack Pulls 5x5
Leg Curl 3x8-10
Standing Calf Raises 3x8-10
Seated Calf Raises 3x8-10

OFF

Shoulders/triceps

Barbell Standing Military Press 5x5
Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3x8-10
rotator cuff 3x10-15
Close Grip Bench Press 4x6-10
Skullcrusher 3x8-10

biceps/Calves

Barbell Curl 3x6-10
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8-12
cable curls,strict 3x15
Seated Calf Raises 4x8-12
Standing Calf Raises 4x8-12

OFF

Cardio is done 3 times per week 30-40 minutes usually not at a high speed..

a few edits

prowrestler
06-30-09, 12:34 am
For wrestling I think strongman lifts would be great. Tire flips, farmers walk, different carries of kegs or barrels or stones or sandbags, atlas stone lifts, and other such things not only build strength but increase cardiovascular abilities.

proffesional wrestling is the stuff u see on tv...the "fake" stuff to clarify.

its more of a bodybuilder's style of training. its very 'all show" kinda stuff. but u also gotta be strong. no fluff muscle but still a good amount of quality mass is needed if you ever intend on goin far in the BIZ

Cstlfx
06-30-09, 12:43 am
proffesional wrestling is the stuff u see on tv...the "fake" stuff to clarify.

its more of a bodybuilder's style of training. its very 'all show" kinda stuff. but u also gotta be strong. no fluff muscle but still a good amount of quality mass is needed if you ever intend on goin far in the BIZ

I thought he was talking about that, but I still thought you really needed to be strong with good cardiovascular abilities.

I suggested strongman cause it would help him endurance wise and help bulk him up.

I never call the stuff fake though, I always say "choreographed" because they really do pick each other up, slam each other, and get hit, but they kinda know what each person is doing and who is supposed to win. After all the injuries I've seen these guys have, no way do I call it fake.

prowrestler
06-30-09, 1:01 am
I thought he was talking about that, but I still thought you really needed to be strong with good cardiovascular abilities.

I suggested strongman cause it would help him endurance wise and help bulk him up.

I never call the stuff fake though, I always say "choreographed" because they really do pick each other up, slam each other, and get hit, but they kinda know what each person is doing and who is supposed to win. After all the injuries I've seen these guys have, no way do I call it fake.

its like a movie is how i tell ppl when they say thigns to me like "ur wasteing ur time doin that fake crap"

is a movie a waste of time? no. pro wrestling is very fkin hard on the body. we are taught to minimize damage as much as possible...but a chair shot to the back...is that, a steel chair to ur back and moderatly high power. itll hurt.

strong mans not bad BUT u need the implements is the only bad thing, some gyms suck for makeshift.

Cstlfx
06-30-09, 2:35 am
its like a movie is how i tell ppl when they say thigns to me like "ur wasteing ur time doin that fake crap"

is a movie a waste of time? no. pro wrestling is very fkin hard on the body. we are taught to minimize damage as much as possible...but a chair shot to the back...is that, a steel chair to ur back and moderatly high power. itll hurt.

strong mans not bad BUT u need the implements is the only bad thing, some gyms suck for makeshift.

True, very true. I dont even have the equipment and I forget about getting strongman equipment.

prowrestler
06-30-09, 2:12 pm
True, very true. I dont even have the equipment and I forget about getting strongman equipment.

the cardio we do is enough for the conditioning normaly, once its up to where it needs to be, all u need to do is work ur matches and practises and thats all the cardio ull need.

combine that with a 25 cal,2 grams protien per lb of BW and a solid heavy "bodybuilding" 4 day split, and you got the blueprints to build a good proffesional wrestler.

PS, keep in mind what your gimmick is, if your goin to be a high flyer, ur gonna want more conditioning/plyo work then heavy work, if your a big power house, train accordingly.

braves561
07-03-09, 2:28 pm
Thanks all for the responses. I started Strong(er) by Dave Tate last week and I've been feeling pretty good using it.

I'm not sure if I can post it here, but I will anyways. here is the link to my journal on another site. Maybe it'll help some learn what the Strong(er) program is. It's split into 3 phases. first phase is GPP, which helps people that are overtrained and adds some mass. phase 2 is a strength and mass building phase and the third is a recovery phase. I'm on phase 1 currently/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115079081&page=10

^^^I am sXeWarrior in that journal.^^^

braves561
07-03-09, 2:37 pm
I also started a journey on here too logging the program:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=26408