PDA

View Full Version : New Back Routine?

71bbo455
06-25-09, 8:52 pm
Hey guys I'm trying to get back into serious training after years of being off and on and very inconsistent. My back is a weak point for me and needs some serious work. Let me know what you guys think about this new routine.

Deadliftt 5 sets 5-8 reps
Pull Ups Wide 5 sets, once reach 10 reps add weight.
Bent Over Barbell Rows 5 sets 6-10 reps
T-Bar Row 5 sets 6-10 reps

I also do core work a few days a week that hits the lower back, sides, and abs really well. Plus I lift cases of liquor all day longs as I'm a delivery driver.

shizz702
06-25-09, 9:19 pm
Looks like a solid routine bro.

The only thing I'd change is I'd do one arm db rows instead of the t bar rows cause personally I'll think they'll help bring your lats our better.

And I hear you on lifting cases of liquor all day, I'm a merchandiser for Budweiser out here so I know exactly where you're coming from lol.

We got a busy week ahead of us eh?! ;)

71bbo455
06-25-09, 9:23 pm
Looks like a solid routine bro.

The only thing I'd change is I'd do one arm db rows instead of the t bar rows cause personally I'll think they'll help bring your lats our better.

And I hear you on lifting cases of liquor all day, I'm a merchandiser for Budweiser out here so I know exactly where you're coming from lol.

We got a busy week ahead of us eh?! ;)

Yes we do have a busy few weeks ahead of us. I have 15 stops and 580 cases on tap for tomorrow. But I'm still employed which is better than a lot of people.

thanks for the info on doing one arm db rows. I'll give that a shot and see what works better for me.

shizz702
06-25-09, 9:34 pm
Yes we do have a busy few weeks ahead of us. I have 15 stops and 580 cases on tap for tomorrow. But I'm still employed which is better than a lot of people.

thanks for the info on doing one arm db rows. I'll give that a shot and see what works better for me.

Right on bro, yea the one arm db rows will really help flare your lats out.

Hit them up in the 8-10 rep range and don't be afraid to heave em on up, you can go really heavy on them.

Lol and I got 450 cases alone going to my Walmart tomorrow!

My sales rep was telling me I'll be getting about 12 pallets there next week. We are fortunate to be in such a secure business right now lol.

whosnexttt
06-25-09, 11:40 pm
Hey guys I'm trying to get back into serious training after years of being off and on and very inconsistent. My back is a weak point for me and needs some serious work. Let me know what you guys think about this new routine.

I also do core work a few days a week that hits the lower back, sides, and abs really well. Plus I lift cases of liquor all day longs as I'm a delivery driver.

Looks good, but I would save the deadlifts for in the middle or your last exercise, and instead of full deadlifts once in a while do rack deadlifts, it will benefit your lower back alot more than deadlifts, and just as the other Animals suggested, put in some dumbbell rows to really size those lats up

theharjmann
06-26-09, 4:12 am
Right on bro, yea the one arm db rows will really help flare your lats out.

Hit them up in the 8-10 rep range and don't be afraid to heave em on up, you can go really heavy on them.

they are a great exercise, but i wouldnt necessarily say heave em on up....you are just using momentum then and not your back muscles

keep your arm tight to your lat and pull with your elbow and dont forget to lock that back out

whosnexttt
06-26-09, 4:19 am
they are a great exercise, but i wouldnt necessarily say heave em on up....you are just using momentum then and not your back muscles

keep your arm tight to your lat and pull with your elbow and dont forget to lock that back out

true that, i hurt my back one time using super heavy weight with bad form

Littlefry
06-26-09, 8:34 am
Looks like a pretty solid back routine, use it work 4 weeks and see how it works and if you arent liking something then go ahead and change it around to suit your needs.

live2lift
06-26-09, 11:46 am
I like the routine but the one thing I would recommend is to do the pullups first in the routine. Unless you are really strong on these, you will not be able to do these weighted after doing dls. If your pullups are normally a strong point for you then leave it as is. The other thing I would say to do is to hold the contraction on your BB rows and Tbars for a one count and this will help your back development. Most people dont know what a back contraction feels like and then wonder why their back is their weak point. Yates used to always say that if you cant hold the weight at the point of static contraction then you must have gotten the weight there by momentum and not muscular power.

Peace

71bbo455
06-26-09, 6:31 pm
I like the routine but the one thing I would recommend is to do the pullups first in the routine. Unless you are really strong on these, you will not be able to do these weighted after doing dls. If your pullups are normally a strong point for you then leave it as is. The other thing I would say to do is to hold the contraction on your BB rows and Tbars for a one count and this will help your back development. Most people dont know what a back contraction feels like and then wonder why their back is their weak point. Yates used to always say that if you cant hold the weight at the point of static contraction then you must have gotten the weight there by momentum and not muscular power.

Peace

Live2:
That is some awesome advice. One of the best backs that any of us has ever seen is the Shadow. Anything that he has to say is bound to be pretty solid. I'll give the hold at the top a try. I always squeezed but not a hold. That should feel awesome. Pullups are actually a weak point for me. I can't do 5 sets of 10 reps right now. I can to roughly 5 x 5 or 6 right now. But I'm going to work my ass off and try to get there.

live2lift
06-29-09, 1:30 pm
Live2:
That is some awesome advice. One of the best backs that any of us has ever seen is the Shadow. Anything that he has to say is bound to be pretty solid. I'll give the hold at the top a try. I always squeezed but not a hold. That should feel awesome. Pullups are actually a weak point for me. I can't do 5 sets of 10 reps right now. I can to roughly 5 x 5 or 6 right now. But I'm going to work my ass off and try to get there.

Solid brotha...keep me posted.

MojoMike36
06-29-09, 2:16 pm
Thats quite a bit of volume. Good choice of exercises. Just to mix it up I would make your last set of pull ups super set with chins and maybe a drop set on your last set of deads.

71bbo455
06-29-09, 7:44 pm
Solid brotha...keep me posted.

Hey Live2lift:

I did back tonight. Changed it up a little didn't do deads today so started with pull up and then did the bent over rows. Used the hold at the top. Awesome. Had to lessen the weight slightly but it felt well worth it. Then I did the same thing on one arm db rows. I am already sore and know that lifting those cases tomorrow is going to hurt like hell.

Thanks for that piece of advice.

Kingquads
06-29-09, 10:24 pm
Hey Live2lift:

I did back tonight. Changed it up a little didn't do deads today so started with pull up and then did the bent over rows. Used the hold at the top. Awesome. Had to lessen the weight slightly but it felt well worth it. Then I did the same thing on one arm db rows. I am already sore and know that lifting those cases tomorrow is going to hurt like hell.

Thanks for that piece of advice.

na it wont hurt haha

71bbo455
06-30-09, 8:12 pm
na it wont hurt haha

Yeah you are right it doesn't hurt. Pain is only in the mind. Feel great. Almost wish that I didn't have a planned off day today. Feel like training again.

Quadz
06-30-09, 11:51 pm
I wouldn't personaly do deads, BB rows, and T-Bar in one workout.. Lot of low back stress going on there..I would do deads at the end i like the way Dorian did them (first rep from floor all others stop just past knee) i feel that hit the back better overall.

T-bar is a fantastic exercise for mid back and outer lat thickness.. Just depends on the size of the V-grip you're wrappin around the bar.. More narrow it's more mid back...more wide lower and outer lat...

Just a thought...but really all up to what you like bro
Chins
T-bar (narrow)
DB rows
deads
hypers

In Flames
07-01-09, 12:39 am
I believe you're doing WAY too much volume.

This is Rage's Mass Gaining back workout.

Deadlift or T Bar Rows 2 x 10
Dumbbell Rows 2 x 10
Wide Grip Pull Downs 2 x 10

6 intense sets! Hit these sets hard like you mean it and you are good to go. Warm-up with 2-3 sets before the Deads/T Bar rows.

MVP
07-02-09, 12:29 am

I like it.

S. Clarida
07-02-09, 8:53 am
My back was one of my weakest bodyparts. Therefore, I had to play around with various workouts and exercises to bring it up. Personally, I do about 7-8 exercises that vary between width exercises and thickess exercises.

If you are lacking in width, Id focus more on width exercises such as:
Lat Pulls
Chins
Dumbbell Rows
etc...

My advise for you is to play around with various workouts and find what works for you. Just get as much blood into that back as possible and make sure to stretch after each set.

GK