PDA

View Full Version : deadlifts twice a week?

Kingquads
06-29-09, 8:28 pm
Hey im just wondering if doing deadlifts twice a week can hurt me in the long run?

like for example would something like this be good for a young bodybuilder like myself

day 1

incline or flat bench press
standing military press
deadlifts
chin ups/dips

day 2 rest

day 3 rest

day 4

same as day 1

day 5,6,7 rest

I have some nagging knee issues so I may have to stop training legs for a week or two, and its hard following a traditional 4-5 day bodybuilder split without training legs....it just feels awkward for me

rocky36
06-29-09, 9:04 pm
I think doing deadlifts twice a week would be very taxing on your central nervous system and after a few weeks you would be very runned down and quite possible over trained. I would only do deads once a week, and then if you wanted to do another lower back excersise you could do hyperextensions, or goodmornings. Be sure to work your abs no matter what though, strong abs help greatly when doing deadlifts..

Kingquads
06-29-09, 9:38 pm
I think doing deadlifts twice a week would be very taxing on your central nervous system and after a few weeks you would be very runned down and quite possible over trained. I would only do deads once a week, and then if you wanted to do another lower back excersise you could do hyperextensions, or goodmornings. Be sure to work your abs no matter what though, strong abs help greatly when doing deadlifts..

alright thanks, yea i think im gonna stick with a 4-5 day bb split

Dedicated
06-29-09, 11:09 pm
If you're pulling heavy and hard it's not a good idea. You can still throw in a leg day with a knee injury if you really want. When mine was hurt I did my best to do leg curls/extensions, SLDL's and of course calves.

Kingquads
06-29-09, 11:13 pm
If you're pulling heavy and hard it's not a good idea. You can still throw in a leg day with a knee injury if you really want. When mine was hurt I did my best to do leg curls/extensions, SLDL's and of course calves.

I have pain on my right knee and I have patellar tendon on both knees, idk I may give it a shot depending on how they feel on friday

Dedicated
06-30-09, 1:12 am
Yeah. I wouldn't push it. Just listen to your body and don't do anything to make it worse.

violator
06-30-09, 3:23 am
I have pain on my right knee and I have patellar tendon on both knees, idk I may give it a shot depending on how they feel on friday

remember...deading can also be hell on the knees.....make sure u find a style that ur body can live with...whether it be conventional, sumo..or whatever...
twice a week will kill ur CNS off quick...remember to eat big & get plenty of sleep & when ur bodys telling u its tired...dont go force out a PR lift....injury is a bitch....

theharjmann
06-30-09, 3:58 am
After a couple of years of intense deadlifting, i have found that even once a week is too much.

Personally I do deads on back day.

And i will alternate with squats, barbell bent rows and deads:

WEEK 1
I will do deads on back day
No squats on leg day
No bar bent over rows

WEEK 2
I wont do deads this week
I will squat on leg day
|I will do barbell rows on back day

WEEK 3
Repeat Week 1

WEEK 4
Repeat week 2

etc etc

Since i never train with a belt, and train heavy (for me!) i need to ensure my spine is strong in all lifts including military press (standing and seated) and other lifts.

hjayss
06-30-09, 6:59 am

bingo....beat me to it....

live2lift
06-30-09, 11:46 am
A while back I did DLs twice a week and I did burn out on them but it was only after a couple months of doing it. If you are just looking to do it short term you may be okay as long as you are eating enough and getting enough rest. Dont push it though...once you notice overtraining setting in drop down to once every week or two weeks.

Peace