PDA

View Full Version : Resveratrol

NJC_Manhattan
06-30-09, 3:33 pm
Life extension

The groups of Howitz and Sinclair reported in 2003 in the journal Nature that resveratrol significantly extends the lifespan of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.[3] Later studies conducted by Sinclair showed that resveratrol also prolongs the lifespan of the worm Caenorhabditis elegans and the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster.[4] In 2007, a different group of researchers was able to reproduce Sinclair's results with C. elegans,[5] but a third group could not achieve consistent increases in lifespan of D. melanogaster or C. elegans.[6]

In 2006, Italian scientists obtained the first positive result of resveratrol supplementation in a vertebrate. Using a short-lived fish, Nothobranchius furzeri, with a median life span of nine weeks, they found that a maximal dose of resveratrol increased the median lifespan by 56%. Compared with the control fish at nine weeks, that is by the end of the latter's life, the fish supplemented with resveratrol showed significantly higher general swimming activity and better learning to avoid an unpleasant stimulus. The authors noted a slight increase of mortality in young fish caused by resveratrol and hypothesized that it is its weak toxic action that stimulated the defense mechanisms and resulted in the life span extension.[7]

Later the same year, Sinclair reported that resveratrol counteracted the detrimental effects of a high-fat diet in mice. The high fat diet was compounded by adding hydrogenated coconut oil to the standard diet; it provided 60% of energy from fat, and the mice on it consumed about 30% more calories than the mice on standard diet. Both the mice fed the standard diet and the high-fat diet plus 22 mg/kg resveratrol had a 30% lower risk of death than the mice on the high-fat diet. Gene expression analysis indicated the addition of resveratrol opposed the alteration of 144 out of 155 gene pathways changed by the high-fat diet. Insulin and glucose levels in mice on the high-fat+resveratrol diet were closer to the mice on standard diet than to the mice on the high-fat diet. However, addition of resveratrol to the high-fat diet did not change the levels of free fatty acids and cholesterol, which were much higher than in the mice on standard diet.[8] A further study by a group of scientists, which included Sinclair, indicated that resveratrol treatment had a range of beneficial effects in elderly mice but did not increase the longevity of ad libitum-fed mice when started midlife.[9]

[edit] Cancer prevention

In 1997, Jang reported that topical resveratrol applications prevented the skin cancer development in mice treated with a carcinogen.[10] There have since been dozens of studies of the anti-cancer activity of resveratrol in animal models.[11] No results of human clinical trials for cancer have been reported.[12] However, clinical trials to investigate the effects on colon cancer and melanoma (skin cancer) are currently recruiting patients.[13]

In vitro resveratrol interacts with multiple molecular targets (see the mechanisms of action), and has positive effects on the cells of breast, skin, gastric, colon, esophageal, prostate, and pancreatic cancer, and leukemia.[11] However, the study of pharmacokinetics of resveratrol in humans concluded that even high doses of resveratrol might be insufficient to achieve resveratrol concentrations required for the systemic prevention of cancer.[14] This is consistent with the results from the animal cancer models, which indicate that the in vivo effectiveness of resveratrol is limited by its poor systemic bioavailability.[12][15] [16] The strongest evidence of anti-cancer action of resveratrol exists for tumors it can come into direct contact with, such as skin and gastrointestinal tract tumors. For other cancers, the evidence is equivocal, even if massive doses of resveratrol are used.[12]

Thus, topical application of resveratrol in mice, both before and after the UVB exposure, inhibited the skin damage and decreased skin cancer incidence. However, oral resveratrol was ineffective in treating mice inoculated with melanoma cells. Resveratrol given orally also had no effect on leukemia and lung cancer;[12][17] however, injected intraperitoneally, 2.5 or 10 mg/kg of resveratrol slowed the growth of metastatic Lewis lung carcinomas in mice.[12][18] Resveratrol (1 mg/kg orally) reduced the number and size of the esophageal tumors in rats treated with a carcinogen.[19] In several studies, small doses (0.02–8 mg/kg) of resveratrol, given prophylactically, reduced or prevented the development of intestinal and colon tumors in rats given different carcinogens.[12]

Resveratrol treatment appeared to prevent the development of mammary tumors in animal models; however, it had no effect on the growth of existing tumors. Paradoxically, treatment of pre-pubertal mice with high doses of resveratrol enhanced formation of tumors. Injected in high doses into mice, resveratrol slowed the growth of neuroblastomas.[12]

[edit] Resveratrol and experimental diabetes

Palsamy and Subramanian have recently published articles on the antihyperglycemic potential of resveratrol in experimental diabetic rats. In their study, the oral administration of resveratrol (5mg/kg b.w) to streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced experimental diabetic rats for 30 days significantly normalizes the levels of blood glucose, plasma insulin, glycosylated hemoglobin, AST, ALP, ALT,[20] and modulates the altered activities of carbohydrate metabolizing enzymes in the liver and kidney tissus of diabetic rats. The results thus obtained showed the antidiabetic property of resveratrol in experimental diabetes.[21]

[edit] Other applications

Johan Auwerx (at the Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cell Biology in Illkirch, France) and coauthors published an online article in the journal Cell in November, 2006. Mice fed resveratrol for fifteen weeks had better treadmill endurance than controls. The study supported Sinclair's hypothesis that the effects of resveratrol are indeed due to the activation of the Sirtuin 1 gene.

Nicholas Wade's interview-article with Dr. Auwerx[22] states that the dose was 400 mg/kg of body weight (much higher than the 22 mg/kg of the Sinclair study). For an 80 kg (176 lb) person, the 400 mg/kg of body weight amount used in Auwerx's mouse study would come to 32,000 mg/day. Compensating for the fact that humans have slower metabolic rates than mice would change the equivalent human dose to roughly 4571 mg/day. Again, there is no published evidence anywhere in the scientific literature of any clinical trial for efficacy in humans. There is limited human safety data (see above). Long-term safety has not been evaluated in humans.

In a study of 123 Finnish adults, those born with certain increased variations of the SIRT1 gene had faster metabolisms, helping them to burn energy more efficiently—indicating that the same pathway shown in the lab mice works in humans.[23]

In November 2008, researchers at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University reported that dietary supplementation with resveratrol significantly reduced plaque formation in animal brains, a component of Alzheimer and other Neurodegenerative diseases.[24] In mice, oral resveratrol produced large reductions in brain plaque in the hypothalamus (-90%), striatum (-89%), and medial cortex (-48%) sections of the brain. In humans it is theorized that oral doses of resveratrol may reduce beta amyloid plaque associated with aging changes in the brain. Researchers theorize that one mechanism for plaque eradication is the ability of resveratrol to chelate (remove) copper.

.................................................. .............................

Another reason to get in some red wine/grapes

GJN5002
06-30-09, 3:50 pm
other studies show that the amount in grapes/red wine is negligable and the amount you would have to consume is huge. its better to supp with resv instead of trying to get it from regular sources.

MrJBravo
01-25-13, 1:42 pm
Hi,

I was curious to know if Resveratrol and turmeric could cause any complications as supplementation while stacking animal cuts and animal pak.

My day would look like this...

5:15 - Wake up, take animal cuts

5:25 - morning run

7:00 - breakfast ( omellet with veggies and turkey, and fruits) , maybe some oatmealand Animal Pak/ resveratrol

9:00 - snack, if i feel hungry ( nuts usually) Turmeric spoonfull with water.

11-12: Protein ( fish, chicken) , fruits and/or veggies and animal cuts

3:00 - snack

5-6 - dinner (minimal food, mostly protein)

9-10: bed

My main concern is turmeric. As i am already taking a potent thermogenic, and Turmeric has thermogenic effects, could it be going overboard? Will the resveratrol supplementation affect my results in some way or another.
Oh, the schedule above is for half of my training days. The other days i would be waking up later, and going to the gym instead of running. Pretty much the only inconsistency.
I'm a college student, so while i would like to be eating more and as healthy as possible, i have to make due with the resources i have. I believe i am doing alright, but any advice would be appreciated.

John B
01-25-13, 7:06 pm
While one of the "qualities" of Tumeric is that is is pungent or "heating" in nature, it is very negligible; tumeric has immune-enhancing properties, is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and is being studied for its role in the inhibition of tumor growth. It is an astringent, with anti-bacterial properties and useful for skin problems. It you sprinkle a little on a cut or scrape, the bleeding will cease almost immediately. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda and I sprinkle a little on virtually all my cooked foods, for its taste as well as its health benefits. Use it! Sorry, can't really comment on the resveratrol supplementation other than I'm superficially familiar with its alleged health benefits.

MrJBravo
01-25-13, 7:38 pm
While one of the "qualities" of Tumeric is that is is pungent or "heating" in nature, it is very negligible; tumeric has immune-enhancing properties, is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and is being studied for its role in the inhibition of tumor growth. It is an astringent, with anti-bacterial properties and useful for skin problems. It you sprinkle a little on a cut or scrape, the bleeding will cease almost immediately. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda and I sprinkle a little on virtually all my cooked foods, for its taste as well as its health benefits. Use it! Sorry, can't really comment on the resveratrol supplementation other than I'm superficially familiar with its alleged health benefits.

Thank you for your input.
The main reason i'm using turmeric is for its fat burning properties. It is said to be a very potent fat burner specializing in the chest area, where one of my problems is. I know fat cannot be spot reduced, but i believe it can only help. The other benefits are a welcomed side effect though.

I dont have the luxury of cooking my own food, but what i gather is that ground up turmeric is still the best method of consumption. I dump a teaspoon of the stuff into my water, and while the taste isn't very pleasant, it is bearable.

I'd still like some input on the impact resveratrol could have on my stack, or if it would even have one at all. Also, advice and tips on my schedule/consumption of the Animal products would be appreciated.

Innerfire
04-18-13, 4:25 am
I think it also helps whit estrogen lvl's, and blocks the aromatize of it.