PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still do rear pull ups?

MojoMike36
07-03-09, 1:32 am
I don't see this movement in anyone's routines anymore. Why not? Is there a injury that stems from it??

I heard Ronnie used to do them and super set them with regular pull ups. This true?

I tried the movement tonight on the assisted machine. 38 lbs til I can do it with BW. I already do BWx13 pull ups. So I'll nail it soon bros. It felt great on the assisted. Seriously.

MojoMike36
07-03-09, 1:47 am
Sorry. This is what I did on assisted.
BACK WORK
Assisted Rear Pull Ups[First time]
-40(142.6)x16
-28(154.6)x12

that was my backworkout.

I don't see this movement in anyone's routines anymore. Why not? Is there a injury that stems from it??

I heard Ronnie used to do them and super set them with regular pull ups. This true?

I tried the movement tonight on the assisted machine. 38 lbs til I can do it with BW. I already do BWx13 pull ups. So I'll nail it soon bros. It felt great on the assisted. Seriously.

BryanSmash!
07-03-09, 4:57 am
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I don't do rear pull ups because of a flexiblity issue. Plus, it tends to hurt my shoulders. But thats just me.

MVP
07-03-09, 5:17 am

I'm under the assumption that you mean behind the neck pullups.

If this the case, it's widely known as an injury waiting to happen, most people have gotten injuries from it and the reason for this is because it's an unnatural movement. It would balance the sagittal and frontal plane in a unique way.

I do them every so often, I just don't name them off, usually my first 5 reps of pullups are behind the neck, I'm yet to experience injury but I don't go crazy with them like dedicating a whole set to them.

theharjmann
07-03-09, 8:39 am
i love behind the next pullups.

i dont do them at the beginning of my back workout with plates, but always like to finish off with them to get a really good pump on in both my lats and middle back

i sometimes superset them with shrugs....that works the whole trap quite nicely.

On Letting Go
07-03-09, 10:12 am
I do rear pull ups, but not anywhere near as often as front. Just not a very 'natural' feeling movement.

Dedicated
07-03-09, 10:53 am
I do rear pull ups, but not anywhere near as often as front. Just not a very 'natural' feeling movement.

I'm the same way. I never have particularly liked them, but to each his own brother.

dyskee
07-03-09, 2:20 pm
best back widner out there bro, makes u WIDE

GJN5002
07-03-09, 7:01 pm
Rotator cuff injury waiting to happen

71bbo455
07-03-09, 8:10 pm
Rotator cuff injury waiting to happen

I agree. Puts the shoulders in a bad position. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't do them. Just be careful.

MojoMike36
07-05-09, 2:34 pm
I'm gonna do some further research. But for now I'll do one set a workout. I've been shoulder injury free for the year I've been lifting.

It does give me an insane pump and my rear delts are benefiting as well.

71bbo455
07-06-09, 5:11 pm
I'm gonna do some further research. But for now I'll do one set a workout. I've been shoulder injury free for the year I've been lifting.

It does give me an insane pump and my rear delts are benefiting as well.

Yes it will stimulate the rear delts a little bit more than military press. Just work slow and pay attention to your body. Believe me you will know when you are going to have a shoulder issue. Unless you do something too heavy and tear something. I used to do them years ago and I did like them. But I've had numerous shoulder dislocations and one surgery and can barely get my shoulders to move in that plain. Good Luck.

JUGGERNAUT
07-06-09, 5:16 pm
Always do them anytime I do pull-ups.