PDA

View Full Version : Good old leg day...

rainwave
07-04-09, 1:01 am
Just thought I'd share my leg workout tonight. Not that most of you will care, but it had me nearly puke and I barely made it to my car after. It was awesome. I trained with a guy I know at the gym today, and it was a lot more fun than training by myself. Glad I ran into him. I go just below parallel on squats. This doesn't go near what most of you do, but for me it was quite the workout.

Front squat warm up:

Bar x 15
Bar x 12
135 x 15
185 x 8
225 x 2
225 x 4

Rear squats:

135 x 15
225 x 10
315 x 1 (I was so cooked by this point)
225 x 12
225 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

Lying leg curls:

90 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 8

Seated leg curls:

110 x 20
120 x 10
140 x 12

Standing calf raise:

180 x 25
210 x 20
240 x 20
270 x 20

Seated calf raise:

90 x 20
140 x 15
140 x 10

Lying calf raise (leg press machine):

450 x 25
540 x 20
540 x 20

I then proceeded to hobble out of the gym. Luckily they have railings going down the stairs.

Keep training hard brothers and sisters.

Tartaglia
07-04-09, 1:04 am
I'm wokring out my legs tomorrow, and seeing what you did made me so pumped to kill my legs tomorrow, i love it when i can barely walk out of the gym. Its a satisfying feeling. Good workout you had. Packed on alot of weight

BryanSmash!
07-04-09, 3:03 am
Just thought I'd share my leg workout tonight. Not that most of you will care, but it had me nearly puke and I barely made it to my car after. It was awesome. I trained with a guy I know at the gym today, and it was a lot more fun than training by myself. Glad I ran into him. I go just below parallel on squats. This doesn't go near what most of you do, but for me it was quite the workout.

Front squat warm up:

Bar x 15
Bar x 12
135 x 15
185 x 8
225 x 2
225 x 4

Rear squats:

135 x 15
225 x 10
225 x 12
225 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

Lying leg curls:

90 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 8

Seated leg curls:

110 x 20
120 x 10
140 x 12

Standing calf raise:

180 x 25
210 x 20
240 x 20
270 x 20

Seated calf raise:

90 x 20
140 x 15
140 x 10

450 x 25
540 x 20
540 x 20

I then proceeded to hobble out of the gym. Luckily they have railings going down the stairs.

This would be a good time for you to start a Journey, and post information like this in there.
Looks like you had a fun day.
The benefits of having a journey

MVP
07-04-09, 4:01 am

Front squat warm up:

Bar x 15
Bar x 12
135 x 15
185 x 8
225 x 2
225 x 4

Rear squats:

135 x 15
225 x 10
225 x 12
225 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

Lying leg curls:

90 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 8

Seated leg curls:

110 x 20
120 x 10
140 x 12

Standing calf raise:

180 x 25
210 x 20
240 x 20
270 x 20

Seated calf raise:

90 x 20
140 x 15
140 x 10

450 x 25
540 x 20
540 x 20

I wouldn't do front squats and back squats both. Unnecessary, alternate.

rainwave
07-04-09, 6:09 am
I wouldn't do front squats and back squats both. Unnecessary, alternate.

Thanks for the info bro. Question though, don't rear squats work more hamstrings/glutes, and front squats more abs/quads? My gym doesn't have a hack squat machine... I guess doing one type of squat and leg press is a better idea?

whosnexttt
07-04-09, 6:41 pm
Thanks for the info bro. Question though, don't rear squats work more hamstrings/glutes, and front squats more abs/quads? My gym doesn't have a hack squat machine... I guess doing one type of squat and leg press is a better idea?

if you dont have any back problems stick with regular squats and leg presses if you do have back problems go to front squats leg presses with feet high on the sled

MVP
07-04-09, 11:38 pm

Rear squats would work the glutes a bit more, the hamstrings aren't necessary involves as an agonist of the lift. It's an eccentric stabilizer, as you shift below parallel the pressure is shifted from the knees to the hip flexsors. Both the front squat and the back squat are both quad dominant though, seeing they involve extension at the knee and not flexsion at the knee.

It'd be better to avoid machines in general, but if you like using them and feel they do good for you in terms of physique, do them after free weights. Leg presses are cool, but too many people tend to do them as an ego lift instead of for developing their quads. Do them for the right reasons and they'll work for you better.

MVP
07-05-09, 12:06 am
if you dont have any back problems stick with regular squats and leg presses if you do have back problems go to front squats leg presses with feet high on the sled

That's not all he should be doing. If he would perform movements that requires the quads to be the agonist (knee extension type movement) --- like front squats, leg presses he would need to do knee flexsion type movements to balance the joints to work the antagonist.

Hamstring stimulus directly comes from extension at the hips / flexsion at the knee --- hamstring curls, stiff-leg deadlift.

He'd need more than just those two movements for leg workouts, or else he's going to have serious potential knee injuries due to an imbalance at the joint. There's far too many current cases of strong hip flexsors and weak hip extensors. Or strong knee extensors and weak knee flexsors.

whosnexttt
07-05-09, 12:56 am
That's not all he should be doing. If he would perform movements that requires the quads to be the agonist (knee extension type movement) --- like front squats, leg presses he would need to do knee flexsion type movements to balance the joints to work the antagonist.

Hamstring stimulus directly comes from extension at the hips / flexsion at the knee --- hamstring curls, stiff-leg deadlift.

He'd need more than just those two movements for leg workouts, or else he's going to have serious potential knee injuries due to an imbalance at the joint. There's far too many current cases of strong hip flexsors and weak hip extensors. Or strong knee extensors and weak knee flexsors.

dont tell me that, tell the person that needs help.....i swear if i ever found you in real life id knock you out for trying to sound smart.....haha

Dedicated
07-05-09, 1:08 am
I've always hated front squats. Back in my old high school days our coach used to make them without crossing our arms (the same position you would be in at the top of a power clean) and it messed with my wrist.

I just feel awkward doing them.

Anyways, sweet workout bro, keep it up.

MVP
07-05-09, 3:23 am
dont tell me that, tell the person that needs help.....i swear if i ever found you in real life id knock you out for trying to sound smart.....haha

Trying to sound smart? LOL..

The OP read the post, he'll identify necessary motions in order to maintain or obtain (depended upon current amount of mass) balance at the joint.

I'm a PT, forgive me if I sound too confusing in my posts, that's just how we're taught to say things. Ask me to elaborate any further on my suggestions if they're too black and white and I'll gladly do so.

Ironjaw
07-05-09, 11:57 am
personally i feel leg presses should always be done lighter and in high volume before squats but truthfully they do mess up your back and knees if not done properly .... and thats why you see guys who geet their knees blown out from relying on it... it adds mass for sure but you also puttng so much strain on joints but thats just my cents on the subject .... think a full leg w/o should have multple components but thats just me....

Peace,
-Jaw

MVP
07-05-09, 12:56 pm
personally i feel leg presses should always be done lighter and in high volume before squats but truthfully they do mess up your back and knees if not done properly .... and thats why you see guys who geet their knees blown out from relying on it... it adds mass for sure but you also puttng so much strain on joints but thats just my cents on the subject .... think a full leg w/o should have multple components but thats just me....

Peace,
-Jaw

Squats are the king of mass building exercises.

As far as injury goes, that's with any exercise. You need proper form.

Squats are suppose to come from the hips, not the knees. Which is why most people get hurt from them, they think they're suppose to push up from their feet and knees but they're really suppose to generate force through power from the hips.

Ironjaw
07-05-09, 2:05 pm
I miss represented what meant to say with the leg press i meant to say with all the funky ways some of the leg presses are postioned these days ie like in my gym no matter how you set your self its always curling your back and putting more pressure towards the knees but yes squat is the best of all leg movements

rainwave
07-05-09, 6:22 pm
Hey guys, thanks for all the input.