PDA

View Full Version : intensity increasing tricks!

J A Y
07-04-09, 5:40 pm
so lately i have been reading alot about tactics that bodybuilders have used to shock new growth and vary intensity tricks most of them are all thigs you should mainly do once or twice a month or two months!

so far i have only come across mainly leg orientated tricks such as the 20 rep squats and tonight i come across a new one called railroads?
i bet you guys have got another name for it though!

start with 1 plate on the leg press 10 reps
2 plates 20 reps
3 plates 30 rep
4 plates 40 reps
5 plates 50 reps...

and follow that untill 10 plates for 100 reps

maybe centurion leg press another name ive heard not sure??

and of course there is also everybodies favourtie the bicep 21's and running the wrack...

i was just thinking has anoybody else on here got any shock tactics they use every now and then and would they mind sharing them with the board!

i think it would make an interesting post!

The Sun
07-04-09, 5:45 pm
how about just loading heavier weight with every workout?

J A Y
07-04-09, 5:50 pm
how about just loading heavier weight with every workout?

that wasnt very nice sun!

obviously there is that, adding weight , adding sets, adding exercises in moderation, supersets, dropsets , pyramids, negatives, partial reps

but i was thinking along the lines of something different that is un-usual

The Sun
07-04-09, 5:52 pm
that wasnt very nice sun!

obviously there is that, adding weight , adding sets

, adding exercises in moderation, supersets, dropsets , pyramids, negatives, partial reps

but i was thinking along the lines of something different that is un-usual

the bold stuff is the only way to act, rest are shit actually :)

J A Y
07-04-09, 6:00 pm
the bold stuff is the only way to act, rest are shit actually :)

haha! i think they all have their place though, the basis is to keep it simple and add weight progressively, hence progressive overload.. i can see what your getting at haha!

but every now and then i think they have their place.. you have to agree with that?

new stimulus = new gains?

rainwave
07-04-09, 6:40 pm
Nothing like an intense round on the leg press... thanks Jay, though I don't personally think I'd ever make it to 5 plates for 50 reps, haha.

Kingquads
07-04-09, 10:04 pm
haha! i think they all have their place though, the basis is to keep it simple and add weight progressively, hence progressive overload.. i can see what your getting at haha!

but every now and then i think they have their place.. you have to agree with that?

new stimulus = new gains?

new stimulus = new gains? nope, you might think you did, its more like this

diet in check = new gains

J A Y
07-05-09, 8:18 am
this post has nothing to do with diet however your point is very valid and a good one at that!

im looking for unusual training techniques.. things people have never heard of.. something to spice up the standard 3 x 8, 4 x 12 etc...

mark
07-05-09, 9:16 am
With the exception of rest/pause, most of them are irrelavent and only produce more lactic acid. Though yes, lactic acid can trigger hGH production, more lactic acid is not better, only the minimal to optimal amount of lactic acid will have positive results on muscle growth.

And no, you won't actually trigger more muscle fiber activation doing these silly techniques (with exception of Possibly rest/pause). In order to increase the amount of muscle fiber activation you must increase neural efficiency by either getting stronger, or training in such a manner to incease force production (ie, what people like to call speed work, Dynamic Effort, DE, etc).

The higher the average force production is, the greater amount of muscle fiber activation.

Fury317
07-05-09, 10:28 am
Ya know what, say what you will and jump on JAY's ass as much as you want, but these "silly" and "shitty" tricks work. I dont care what scientific mumbo jumbo you shove down my throat- I get enough of that bullshit majoring in Nutrition and Exercise Science- Im going to keep doing my drop sets and keep doing my negatives and supersets.

I (along with other TOP competitors) have made gains using sed techniques in the gym to change the pace up.

So JAY, keep doing these man, in my book as long as youre beating your body up in the gym and eating quality food round the clock, youll grow and grow large.

Pizzalamp
07-05-09, 10:44 am
Ya know what, say what you will and jump on JAY's ass as much as you want, but these "silly" and "shitty" tricks work. I dont care what scientific mumbo jumbo you shove down my throat- I get enough of that bullshit majoring in Nutrition and Exercise Science- Im going to keep doing my drop sets and keep doing my negatives and supersets.

I (along with other TOP competitors) have made gains using sed techniques in the gym to change the pace up.

So JAY, keep doing these man, in my book as long as youre beating your body up in the gym and eating quality food round the clock, youll grow and grow large.

agreed
good post

J Wong
07-05-09, 10:47 am
Supersets, circuits, drop sets, etc are great intensity boosters. Do everything mentioned with high reps, and tell me your workout isn't intense.

J A Y
07-05-09, 11:59 am
agreed
good post

glad u fellas are on my side..

have you two ever tried anything a bit different?

would love a really experienced bodybuilder to comment in here and share some stuff, i know there are alot on the board its just getting their attention, i know big g diesel uses alot of supersets and you cant tell me it isnt working for him..

just something unusual and effective.. come on...

Pizzalamp
07-05-09, 1:17 pm
glad u fellas are on my side..

have you two ever tried anything a bit different?

would love a really experienced bodybuilder to comment in here and share some stuff, i know there are alot on the board its just getting their attention, i know big g diesel uses alot of supersets and you cant tell me it isnt working for him..

just something unusual and effective.. come on...

here are some cool ideas for a workout change

overhead barbell press superset w pushups
1 pushup superset 1 overhead press
2 pushups superset 2 overhead presses
3 pushups superset 3 overhead presses
4 pushups superset 4 overhead presses
5 pushups superset 5 overhead presses
etc
etc
up to 10 pushups into 10 overhead presses

chest/back
100 chest dips/ 100 neutral grip pullups-thats the whole workout

legs:
front squat/narrow back squat/wide back squat
6 reps of each exercise, done w no rest in between...do for 4 sets

snatch grip deadlift/romanian dead/sumo dead
6 reps of each exercise, done w no rest in between...do for 4 sets

or

legs:
giant set
squats...4 x 30
into
2 minute leg press...each set should last 2 minutes...4 sets
into
dumbell romanian deadlift...4 x 12
into
sprints...4 sets
into
smith machne split squats...4 x 15 per leg
into
box or bench jumps..4 x 15-20
into
glute ham raise...4 x 10

J A Y
07-05-09, 1:34 pm
pizzalamp i read u are a personal trainer?

im guessing you have used some of those with the clients haha they look cool especially the push up, overhead press and the squats one aswel, im pretty much keen to try everything while i can at the moment, dont want to get really old and say i never tried something!

i think lifting can be as enjoyable and rewarding as you make it wether its smashin out some heavy ass squats and deads with maximum effort or supersetting your way into oblivion, or just simply performing your normal range of reps! its all rewarding as long as you train smart and eat smarter+rest!

im just keen for plenty of ideas!

Pizzalamp
07-05-09, 1:44 pm
pizzalamp i read u are a personal trainer?

im guessing you have used some of those with the clients haha they look cool especially the push up, overhead press and the squats one aswel, im pretty much keen to try everything while i can at the moment, dont want to get really old and say i never tried something!

i think lifting can be as enjoyable and rewarding as you make it wether its smashin out some heavy ass squats and deads with maximum effort or supersetting your way into oblivion, or just simply performing your normal range of reps! its all rewarding as long as you train smart and eat smarter+rest!

im just keen for plenty of ideas!

ya im a pt
ive used some of those techniques w clients...they def raise the intensity
but mostly i like to use those techniques from time to time on myself
check out diff websites...they have tons of great traning articles and thats where i found the squat combo idea