PDA

View Full Version : This Is Now!

hosedragger
07-04-09, 6:12 pm
THIS IS NOW!!!.....it's time to make a change. My journey starts here. Let me give a quick history.

Three years ago I decided to make a change in my life. I was going from job to job, unhappy and overweight. Then it happened, I finally found what I was looking for, my calling if you would, I was to be a FIREFIGHTER. I knew the job would be rigorous and I would have to make a change. I quickly started the basics; bench, curls, pull-ups, cardio... you know the routine.

Here it is 3 years later, I’ve busted my ass but I’m just not where I should be. Of course the game has become much more personal now.....It's a part of who I am.

THIS IS NOW!
Today I’m going back to the basics. I’m going to punish the iron, eat what I need to eat and I’m not going to let those around me get in my way. Right now I’m prepping for the Firefighter Combat Challenge ( http://firefighter-challenge.com )

My numbers may be meek but their mine and I’ve busted ass to get them.

I’ve read a lot of your posts here to really get the insight I need to up my game. I know I’m in the right place.....Your support will help fuel the fire inside!!!

THIS IS NOW!

Stats:
5' 10" 180lbs
Bench 210
Dead 340
Squat 245

hosedragger
07-05-09, 6:47 pm
Well my motivation is high. I had some good soild pulls today. I started to rethink my numbers; reps/sets.

7/05/2009 Deadlift
5x130
5x180
5x220
5x280
5x320

In a few weeks Ill go for a 1 rep max again....Im sure it will improve greatly!!

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
07-05-09, 6:49 pm
Good start for your journey bro. Are you a bodybuilder or powerlifter?

hosedragger
07-05-09, 6:52 pm
I started out lifting for athletic/fitness reasons..but once you feel that heavy ass weight getting thrown around..well its an awesome rush. I would classify myself as a powerlifter since I do mostly compound lifts. Big lifts help me do my job better.

Thanks

hosedragger
07-07-09, 4:53 pm
5 sets of 5 reps:

close grip flat
5x90
5x130
5x150
5x170
5x180

Then I got motivated to try flat..
3x190
1x200
.5 x 215
0x215.

I just seem to get stuck halfway. I really think my tri's are lacking. I just started doing close grip, hopefully by the end of this cycle they will be brought up.
Rest of the WO went:
Incline Bench, Dips, Flys, DB Sgoulder Press some pushup to get the pump, chest looked pretty dope after!!!!

hosedragger
07-10-09, 2:04 pm
Thursday was SQUAT DAY!! I love Squat Day!!!

20x150
5x180
5x180
5x180
5x180

Good Morning
5x180
5x180
5x180
5x180
5x180

I threw in some lunges, calf raises and front squats and KB windmills to really get a stretch.

Today Im sore to a point...tomorrow will be the DOMS!!! Tonight im taking it easy and gettting ready for back tomorrow.

hosedragger
07-11-09, 3:44 pm
I got a date tonight...sweet lady iron....ha ha
Its DEADLIFT day, and ive been thinking about it all day. I had some good numbers last round. Im not gonna go for pr volume but I know i will get a pr volume/reps.

Ive got 35 days till the FFCC....its time to dig in!!!!

hosedragger
07-12-09, 6:41 am
Well my date with lady iron....didnt' go so well, I got the good-bye hug instead of kiss.

My dead's went like this:
W/U 5x130
5x150
5x210
5x265
3x300
1x330

I wanted a pr for reps, but I ended up matching my volume pr. Which I find very disapointing. Last W/O I did 5x320, yet I could only pull 1x330???? Either Im still not recovered from the last w/o, I was too tired from work or the squat w/o 48hours was the factor. Any thoughts??

I did some rows, wide chins, hammer curls and rev flys(which I want to do a thread search on)

Monday should be good..its chest day!!!....and I am off work!!!!

hosedragger
07-12-09, 6:58 am
I just read some other articles on DL. I think my squat day needs to be moved so more time is between the two w/o's, DAY 5 into DAY 1. Any advice???

DAY 1:
Dead Lift, Rows, Pull Ups, Reverse Fly, Curls
DAY 2:
Cardio, Contest Prep
DAY 3:
Bench, Dips, Fly, Shoulder Press
DAY 4:
Cardio, Contest Prep
DAY 5:
Squat, Calf Raise, Good Morning, Front Squat, KB Windmill
DAY 6: OFF
Repeat....

hosedragger
07-17-09, 7:36 pm
The harder I want to train, the more I feel it's stalled. Im either at a plataeu or I need to do something different.....I gave full body workouts a try.

Today was my second day, 8-10 movements, 3 sets and reps based on the intesity I need to get a good pump. The weight is low, but Im in and out in under an hour and feel great after. I hit legs, back then chest/arms.....my only concern is Im only taking 48 hours off between workouts and doing the combat challenge prep work in between.

I only have 26 days left to train so I need to hit it hard now so I can ease up right before the contest to prevent injury and be fully recovered.

I'll post an update in a few days with any improvements I see. I also am thinking about starting Animals Cuts or M-Stak for the 21 day cycle to really be nice and cut so I can look good doing it!!!!ha ha-

Train Hard!!!

hosedragger
07-19-09, 4:30 pm
Today is DAY 1 of my new stack and DAY 3 of my full body workout. I do see some difference in my upper body, more defined and my back feels solid. Little sore/tight in places but as soon as a get blood flowing it goes away.

Day 1 New Stack:
Wake Up 11am - CUTS
1130 - Breakfast (big breakfast!!!)
130 - Amnio Acids
300 - Yogurt with granola---love this stuff
330 - big glass milk
415 - 2nd pak of CUTS
515 - Ill do my first PAK OF M-STAK, can't wait to see how it affects my w/o
PWO - NITRO
45-60mins later - Good solid dinner, Im thinking 2 chicken breast, aspargus and cous-cous. I will also tak my PAK with dinner.
Around 900 or 1000 Ill have some cottage cheese
Then ZMA before bed.

Most important part of today...Im gonna tear it up in the gym. Im going to to front squats and overhead squats instead of my usual regular squats. Its gonna be a damn good time!!!

-train hard- hosedragger

hosedragger
07-19-09, 8:46 pm
Great WO today. Did front squats, oh squats, standing bb press, deads, hammers, wg pull ups, incline push ups, calf raises, good mornings, bo rows. Felt good till about 3/4 way through....started feeling a bit sick to my stomach. I don't know if it was the M-STAK kickin in or the fact that I ate fairly light today. I pushed through and ate a great PWO meal....tomorrow is an off day, I may just do light cardio since I have to work.

See ya in the trenches~~~

hosedragger
07-21-09, 2:54 am
Monday 72009: Off day, I went out and cleaned up my gym. Paint flakes from the rack were all over the mat and my plates were scattered. Tomorrow when I walk in, its time to do work, the clock is ticking.....I only get once chance, one chance to change my life. THIS IS NOW!!!

23 days till Lexington......

Shamus11B
07-21-09, 3:06 am
Looks good in here man, I definitely recommend moving that DL away from the squats. i have recently had to make that change myself. I now Squat on mondays and DL on thursdays.

hosedragger
07-21-09, 4:37 am
Looks good in here man, I definitely recommend moving that DL away from the squats. i have recently had to make that change myself. I now Squat on mondays and DL on thursdays.

Right on...thanks!!!

hosedragger
07-21-09, 5:56 pm
Hit another milestone on the road to a 400lb dead lift...I pulled 350x2 today!!!! I think dropping weight and working on intensity the last few sessions worked. I tried fo 370 but I was spent. My wide grip chins are increasing in reps also!!

I will be very happy if i can increase all of the big 3 25% by end of year... Im on my way!

C.Coronato
07-22-09, 2:42 pm
Looking good my man, keep digging, that 405 is yours.

hosedragger
07-22-09, 6:04 pm
I know the traps are really involved in the dead..is their another lift I can do to help with my dead? I do wide grip deads once in a while along with sumo style. I also rotate using a platform. Im also thinking I need to improve my grip.....

hosedragger
07-24-09, 11:24 am
My last workout had to be the BEST Ive ever had. Without a lot of details heres what I did.

I tried a modified westside max effort day. Come to find out, Id been doing this w/o all along but my rep/set was different.
Bench-7 sets and I repped weight I only could hit singles before. I kept all reps 5 and under. If I could do more than 5 easily then I upped the weight. If 5 was almost failure, I upped the weight but did 3, no more no less.

Did some push-ups, t-bar rows supered w/ delt flys, behind the back shrugs and hammer curls........I was sweating and breathing HARD!!!! by the end of this one.

Right now my focus is on intensity for my competion, but come off season I will be following this plan.

train hard-er!

hosedragger
07-24-09, 10:12 pm
I kicked it into gear today...2 hours of intense ass kicking!!!! This is all specfic to the FFCC. If anyone that is not a firefighter yet wants to have a great fat melting, heart pounding, hard to breath fall over workout..here ya go!!!!

Warm up: 3 rounds KB Swings x 20 then 20 box jumps.

WO in full turnout gear (use a weight vest if not a ff) all in sequence no stopping....
Hose carry (45lbs) run 100feet
Tire drag (45lbs + ground friction + tire weight)
Sled Hammer (10lb sledge against a tractor tire) 20 hits
Run 200 feet
Tractor tire flips 5x down 5x back.

5 mins active rest no gear then do it again.
Did this 5 times then did the stair climber full gear, hardest setting 5 mins.

I will be making a video to post on my website in the near future to inspire other firefighters to get off their asses and get in shape. We have too many of our brothers and sisters dying of heart attacks. If any of you guys go to the same gym as a firefigther/medic...watch their back for me, don't let them quit, we need em!!!!

Im out...need sleep!!!

train hard-er

hosedragger
07-28-09, 2:37 am
Its all about endurance and perseverance now. Gonna concentrate on getting my stamina up. Lots of pulling and lower body work. My strength is good enough just have to piece it all together.

So gonna stay out of the weight room and be doing all my work in the backyard......its all about bragging rights!!!!

squattingtillipuke
08-03-09, 12:46 pm
looks nice bro...always glad to hear when people are getting good results...good luck with the FFCC

C.Coronato
08-03-09, 1:06 pm
I know the traps are really involved in the dead..is their another lift I can do to help with my dead? I do wide grip deads once in a while along with sumo style. I also rotate using a platform. Im also thinking I need to improve my grip.....

I think all back workouts would be helpful brother. Also some shrug workouts with no straps or anything to help with the grip.

Warm up: 3 rounds KB Swings x 20 then 20 box jumps.

WO in full turnout gear (use a weight vest if not a ff) all in sequence no stopping....
Hose carry (45lbs) run 100feet
Tire drag (45lbs + ground friction + tire weight)
Sled Hammer (10lb sledge against a tractor tire) 20 hits
Run 200 feet
Tractor tire flips 5x down 5x back.

Now thats an awesome workout. Keep on killing it brother.

hosedragger
08-06-09, 4:30 am
Just the very thought of the comp. gets my heart racin and adreneline pumping. Ive been busting ass the last few weeks. Im lifting hard, pushing my limits and throwing down plenty of quaility foods.

7 more days till I can unleash upon the world...the beast that's inside!!!!!!!

I've got some pics of my training up on my website:

http://engineco22.net

train hard-er