PDA

View Full Version : Dips

sideburnz
07-05-09, 4:19 pm
Bros just a quick question.. I know the rep range for muscle growth is roughly from 8-10.. My question is, when i train my tris, i'm able to do at least 3sets of 15 for dips. Does this mean that there is no muscle growth? Plus im using bodyweight.. Any suggestions or answers are welcomed. :>

MVP
07-05-09, 4:47 pm
Bros just a quick question.. I know the rep range for muscle growth is roughly from 8-10.. My question is, when i train my tris, i'm able to do at least 3sets of 15 for dips. Does this mean that there is no muscle growth? Plus im using bodyweight.. Any suggestions or answers are welcomed. :>

Muscle growth rep range is not 8-10. That's a myth. You can grow with any rep range.

15 reps you'll start using much more of your slow twitch fibers though.

Muscle growth is in how much you eat.

sideburnz
07-05-09, 4:59 pm
Muscle growth rep range is not 8-10. That's a myth. You can grow with any rep range.

15 reps you'll start using much more of your slow twitch fibers though.

yes i do know eating is important. Im just talking about training wise. rep range does play a part.. even pro bodybuilders stick to a certain rep range bro.. so how can they be wrong?

Kingquads
07-05-09, 5:07 pm
yes i do know eating is important. Im just talking about training wise. rep range does play a part.. even pro bodybuilders stick to a certain rep range bro.. so how can they be wrong?

rep ranges are mostly a myth, but MOST bodybuilders have there growing moments when they stick around the 8-10 rep range, but my suggestion is too either add weight to those dips or do them slower and stop cheating if you are or do them last in your workout

Kingquads
07-05-09, 5:08 pm

what else are you doing for triceps?

sideburnz
07-05-09, 5:13 pm
what else are you doing for triceps?

Dips 3sets
C-G benches 3sets
lying db extensions 3sets
rope pushdowns fst-7

sideburnz
07-05-09, 5:15 pm
but my suggestion is too either add weight to those dips or do them slower and stop cheating if you are or do them last in your workout

I don't cheat , but i definitely could go slower, or add some weights.

Kingquads
07-05-09, 5:20 pm
Dips 3sets
C-G benches 3sets
lying db extensions 3sets
rope pushdowns fst-7

hmm pretty good for mass but.....

make sure you warm up those tri's before close grip bench with some light pushdowns

everything else looks pretty solid but have the close grip first then do bar or ez bar lying extensions, if you havent done these do em, its the must move in doing triceps, then do dips after the extensions, and only do about 1 or 2 sets to failure with those pushdowns, doing that fst-7 thing is only for bodybuilders that have a planned out diet, you may think you have a good diet but trust me stick to basic stuff, doing 7 freakin sets of cable pushdowns is just going to result in regret, you can forge so much more muscle faster by just sticking to basic movements

Kingquads
07-05-09, 5:21 pm
I don't cheat , but i definitely could go slower, or add some weights.

yea add some weight, dips a another great move for total upper body development

MVP
07-05-09, 5:23 pm

They're on a different level of experience than you. They train for a sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is mainly fluid. Google the two types of hypertrophy - myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic. They also are on steroids, what they should do and what you should do are two different things. They workout six times per week, use anabolics, have professional nutritional advisers set their diets up, and use usually 4-6 sets of 8-12 reps. That's not what you should be doing.

Now that you mentioned bodybuilders, let's mention powerlifters. Have you seen a powerlifter that uses low reps after he sets a cutting phase? They're huge, but they do have a high bodyfat% usually but the difference between a bodybuilder and powerlifter is a cutting phase. Once powerlifters cut weight, they have phenomenal physiques. Dave Tate is an example of this.

The amount of reps you'll respond better to is depended upon your slow twitch and fast twitch fibers.

Just wondering, if 10 reps means size why add weight to the bar? If this was the case you could do 10 reps with the bar and respond. Do you honestly think 10 reps made those bodybuilders look the way they did or 10 reps with 315lbs?

Where does sets even fall under this myth? The difference in 5 X 5 and 3 X 10 is a total of 5 reps, that 5 reps does not factor the results hypertrophy VS strength.

Hypertrophy results from strength training with a calorie surplus. I've went from 130lbs to 190lbs using nothing but 5 reps.

And you'll find with research that splits and strictly high rep training didn't involve until steroids really got popular. More natural bodybuilders that can nearly match the physiques of the roided out bodybuilders these days used nothing but full body programs with low reps and diet calorie diets.

Kingquads
07-05-09, 5:43 pm
They're on a different level of experience than you. They train for a sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is mainly fluid. Google the two types of hypertrophy - myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic. They also are on steroids, what they should do and what you should do are two different things. They workout six times per week, use anabolics, have professional nutritional advisers set their diets up, and use usually 4-6 sets of 8-12 reps. That's not what you should be doing.

Now that you mentioned bodybuilders, let's mention powerlifters. Have you seen a powerlifter that uses low reps after he sets a cutting phase? They're huge, but they do have a high bodyfat% usually but the difference between a bodybuilder and powerlifter is a cutting phase. Once powerlifters cut weight, they have phenomenal physiques. Dave Tate is an example of this.

The amount of reps you'll respond better to is depended upon your slow twitch and fast twitch fibers.

Just wondering, if 10 reps means size why add weight to the bar? If this was the case you could do 10 reps with the bar and respond. Do you honestly think 10 reps made those bodybuilders look the way they did or 10 reps with 315lbs?

Where does sets even fall under this myth? The difference in 5 X 5 and 3 X 10 is a total of 5 reps, that 5 reps does not factor the results hypertrophy VS strength.

Hypertrophy results from strength training with a calorie surplus. I've went from 130lbs to 190lbs using nothing but 5 reps.

And you'll find with research that splits and strictly high rep training didn't involve until steroids really got popular. More natural bodybuilders that can nearly match the physiques of the roided out bodybuilders these days used nothing but full body programs with low reps and diet calorie diets.

well said, too many teens are reading these damn magazines

MVP
07-05-09, 5:46 pm

I like your ideas. You and I think alike.

sideburnz
07-05-09, 5:53 pm

oh wow! im a teen now..

MVP
07-05-09, 6:09 pm
oh wow! im a teen now..

His message wasn't directed at you. I believe what he meant was people are believing myths that they read in magazines and such.

The last thing I would do is give you or anyone else bad advice, trust me.

TigerAce01
07-05-09, 6:20 pm
I don't pay attention to rep range, I stop when my body tells me. As long as I complete the certain amount of total reps for my workout, I could care less how many sets it takes me to get there.

-Ace

sideburnz
07-05-09, 6:35 pm
thx guys.. learnt sumthin new 2day.. *Reps range are a myth*

MVP
07-05-09, 6:42 pm
I don't pay attention to rep range, I stop when my body tells me. As long as I complete the certain amount of total reps for my workout, I could care less how many sets it takes me to get there.

-Ace

I'm like that when it comes to pullups. I try to do 50 each pull session, and although it usually takes me 10 sets or so, getting there is sweet.

arab910
07-05-09, 7:28 pm
I'm like that when it comes to pullups. I try to do 50 each pull session, and although it usually takes me 10 sets or so, getting there is sweet.

how do you establish your WO rep total? like you did with pullups (50), how do you choose that number and does anybody here do it with other exercises? (deads/squats, etc).

is it just an ambiguous number?

TigerAce01
07-05-09, 7:32 pm
how do you establish your WO rep total? like you did with pullups (50), how do you choose that number and does anybody here do it with other exercises? (deads/squats, etc).

I follow the CrossFit routine, so whatever they tell me to do, I do it.

-Ace

MVP
07-05-09, 7:37 pm

50 reps with deadlifts would be too light of weight to do much. Bodyweight movements are different, they increase your ability to stabilize and move your bodyweight various times.

shizz702
07-06-09, 12:10 am
Get a dip belt, with sets of 15 with bw you should be able to hit sets of 10 with 25 lbs no problem.

sideburnz
07-06-09, 1:26 am
Get a dip belt, with sets of 15 with bw you should be able to hit sets of 10 with 25 lbs no problem.

hey shizz.. thanks for the idea.. & the encouragement..

theharjmann
07-06-09, 9:56 am

hell yes!

theharjmann
07-06-09, 10:00 am

pro bodybuilders have put on most of their size before you watch their training videos, magazine articles etc.

what we never see is what they went through to put on slabs of mass....

Heavy compound exercises
ALL rep ranges
VERY HIGH calorie meals
Fat bellies
Love handles
Double/triple/quadruple chins

All we see now are these guys ripped to shreds, lifting heavy weights, talking about 8-12 rep ranges and their promotion ads of all these exotic supplements.

You gotta lift heavy bro...2-4 reps.....finish off with 10-15 rep sets, but dont forget ur heavy power exercises

sideburnz
07-06-09, 3:47 pm
pro bodybuilders have put on most of their size before you watch their training videos, magazine articles etc.

what we never see is what they went through to put on slabs of mass....

Heavy compound exercises
ALL rep ranges
VERY HIGH calorie meals
Fat bellies
Love handles
Double/triple/quadruple chins

All we see now are these guys ripped to shreds, lifting heavy weights, talking about 8-12 rep ranges and their promotion ads of all these exotic supplements.

You gotta lift heavy bro...2-4 reps.....finish off with 10-15 rep sets, but dont forget ur heavy power exercises

2-4 reps?? that would also cause muscle growth???

MVP
07-06-09, 4:43 pm

As mentioned throughout this whole thread. Any rep range will produce hypertrophy if the calories are right. You're not even mentioning sets.

JUGGERNAUT
07-06-09, 4:53 pm
Can't remember the last time I "counted" my reps. There are so many ways to make even a single rep make your body respond differently. Do weighted dips and don't count but add more working sets. MVP, you have your head screwed on right for 19.

Kingquads
07-06-09, 5:25 pm

Yep your body does not know the difference between 2 reps and 8 reps, but it surely knows the difference between free weights and cables, machines. That reminds me I gota go throw out some of my bodybuilding magazines, I mean when someone lies to you....are you just gonna except it?

prowrestler
07-06-09, 5:47 pm
10-15 reps....

if ur tempo is 1 second up and 2 seconds down, 10-15 reps is equal to 30-45 seconds. THIS IS WHERE HYPERTROPHY IS AT ITS BEST.

dave tate put on 10lbs of lean mass in 4 weeks when he did timed sets. 10lbs to an already big body thats been threw ALOT of training.

once u can do 15 reps, up the weight to somethin that allows for 10, work on gettin 15 then continue

shizz702
07-06-09, 7:55 pm
hey shizz.. thanks for the idea.. & the encouragement..

Glad to help bro, weighted dips are one of the most productive upper body exercises you can do, and will put some good mass on you.

Work up to a heavy 5-8 rep set, and then strip some weight off and hit a high rep back off set afterward.

I've always liked combining both heavy low rep sets, and high rep sets to get the best of both worlds.

Just about all rep ranges will work and produce growth, as long as you are making progress in upping your weight, or cranking out more reps, then you are doing something right.

sideburnz
07-06-09, 9:03 pm
Glad to help bro, weighted dips are one of the most productive upper body exercises you can do, and will put some good mass on you.

Work up to a heavy 5-8 rep set, and then strip some weight off and hit a high rep back off set afterward.

I've always liked combining both heavy low rep sets, and high rep sets to get the best of both worlds.

Just about all rep ranges will work and produce growth, as long as you are making progress in upping your weight, or cranking out more reps, then you are doing something right.

Just a question. I now know that rep range don't matter, then why do say "I've always liked combining both heavy low rep sets, and high rep sets to get the best of both worlds."
What are the different benefits?

MVP
07-06-09, 9:06 pm
Just a question. I now know that rep range don't matter, then why do say "I've always liked combining both heavy low rep sets, and high rep sets to get the best of both worlds."

Training all types of muscle fibers.

sideburnz
07-06-09, 9:58 pm
Training all types of muscle fibers.

Okay .. does that mean by doing more slow-twitch muscle fibers, it will help your fast-twitch muscle fibers the next time round? E.g. lifting more or more reps

MVP
07-06-09, 10:15 pm
Okay .. does that mean by doing more slow-twitch muscle fibers, it will help your fast-twitch muscle fibers the next time round? E.g. lifting more or more reps

No, training the slow twitch fibers doesn't benefit the fast twitch fibers. It just increases the ability to generate force with the fast twitch fibers (by training them) and the endurance with the slow twitch fibers (by training them). Giving you a balance of strength, size, and endurance.

shizz702
07-07-09, 7:27 pm

Well it's generally agreed upon that lower reps are best for strength, and higher reps best for mass. While you gain both strength and mass on all rep ranges, I think it's best to mix both ranges in your training and by doing so you got all your bases covered.