PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from Sub grappling/BJJ Training

Merat
07-05-09, 5:25 pm
Hey guys have a little issue here,

Was injured for a while so all I did for a few months was just hit the gym as I couldn't grapple , but now I'm injury free I'm training again in sub grappling 4 times a week, 3 of them 1.5 hour and the 4th one 2hours as its open mat.

My query was, is it possible to still go to the gym 4 times a week and recover efficiently? I'm aware my nutrition will have to be spot on as will many other factors like sleep etc.

I heard someone say there is no such thing of over training just lack of recovery, so what do you guys think? Because I love bodybuilding but hell I love grappling and MMA as well (I do some striking as well and mma), especially grappling.

TigerAce01
07-05-09, 5:31 pm
Check out my journey. I train in MMA 5 days a week, and I train using the CrossFit program 6 days a week. My conditioning is probably higher than yours though, so really, that's what you need to concentrate on first. Go to all of your practices for a while, then when you feel you are recovering fully from those training sessions, slowly add in other training sessions.

The question is, do you want to be serious about fighting? You have to choose between training like a bodybuilder, and training like a fighter. They are polar opposites.

One thing that has brought my recovery to a peak is a high amino supplementation program. I take in anywhere between 30-50 grams of free form aminos every day, not including shakes. Glutamine is my favorite, and I usually mix it with EAA Stack.

If you have any questions, leave it on my journey, or shoot me a PM.

-Ace

Merat
07-05-09, 5:44 pm
Hey, at the moment deff more serious about fighting, I need to increase my conditioning but thats only due to not training for a while, I give a month before it gets back to what it was but additional conditioning workouts deff cant hurt right! But I still want to work on power and speed, I doubt crossfit is for that? or am I wrong here? Ive done westside barbell before it helped immensly with my BJJ, my brother had done ross training and man he got ripped, and is officialy a cardio machine! Im more muscular than him faster and stronger but he prob could out last in me in a 3 round sparring match.

TigerAce01
07-05-09, 6:16 pm
Hey, at the moment deff more serious about fighting, I need to increase my conditioning but thats only due to not training for a while, I give a month before it gets back to what it was but additional conditioning workouts deff cant hurt right! But I still want to work on power and speed, I doubt crossfit is for that? or am I wrong here? Ive done westside barbell before it helped immensly with my BJJ, my brother had done ross training and man he got ripped, and is officialy a cardio machine! Im more muscular than him faster and stronger but he prob could out last in me in a 3 round sparring match.

CrossFit is definitely for that. My strength is through the roof, but so is my endurance and stamina. It's one of the most perfect routines for cardiovascular sports like fighting.

-Ace

shizz702
07-06-09, 12:14 am
I think a basic full body barbell program like Rippetoe's or the 5x5 would be your best bet.

Not only would it only require you to train 3x a week but it would probably supplement your BJJ training as well.