PDA

View Full Version : deadlift/rack pull question

loligagger
07-05-09, 8:54 pm
any routine suggestions for rack pulls? mondays are back for me and i plan on giving rack pulls a try. i can deadlift 435(with belt but no wraps). if there are any suggetsions on rep/sets with weight would be awesome.

thanks in advance

whosnexttt
07-05-09, 11:30 pm
any routine suggestions for rack pulls? mondays are back for me and i plan on giving rack pulls a try. i can deadlift 435(with belt but no wraps). if there are any suggetsions on rep/sets with weight would be awesome.

thanks in advance

if you can do 435 regular deadlift try 315 on the rack pulls and just keep adding plates from there

CuttDeez
07-05-09, 11:34 pm
if you can do 435 regular deadlift try 315 on the rack pulls and just keep adding plates from there

I agree go for a 1RM from 1 pin. Make sure you pull out the bar tension(bend) slowly and then speed it up.

shizz702
07-06-09, 12:07 am
One thing you might consider doing is keep the same routine you are currently doing and just alternate deadlifts with rack pulls each week. Rack pulls are much less taxing on the cns and will allow you to train your lockout and enable better recovery to hit your deadlifts the following week.

Jonisocool
07-06-09, 2:17 am
One thing you might consider doing is keep the same routine you are currently doing and just alternate deadlifts with rack pulls each week. Rack pulls are much less taxing on the cns and will allow you to train your lockout and enable better recovery to hit your deadlifts the following week.

or do it west side style kinda.

Rack pulls for 2 weeks/dead lifts for 2 weeks/deficet deads for 2 weeks.

That way you have time to try to PR your last rackpull day.

loligagger
07-06-09, 9:44 am
thanks for all the suggestions.

ill let you know how it goes

theharjmann
07-06-09, 9:56 am
i never wear a belt when i train

so ive heavily cut down on the deadlifts from the floor and do more rack pulls to avoid thickening my waist

rack pulls are good.

just remember to keep the bar as close to your legs as possible....you dont wanna pick up and silly injuries

good luck

slainte151
07-14-09, 5:24 am

thanks in advance

if 435 is your max you should be rack pulling around 6 plates for about 3 reps

J Wong
07-14-09, 9:47 am
if 435 is your max you should be rack pulling around 6 plates for about 3 reps

6 plates per side? If so, I have to disagree, everyone is different. I was pulling 405x1 from the ground awhile back, and couldn't get 455 from the rack.

BryanSmash!
07-15-09, 9:06 am
Start with the pins set where the bar travels the least distance and pull until you achieve your desired one rep max for full range deads. Once you get that, move the pins down a hole, rinse and repeat. When you get back down to the ground, voila! You have your new one rep max.

slainte151
08-24-09, 8:29 pm
6 plates per side? If so, I have to disagree, everyone is different. I was pulling 405x1 from the ground awhile back, and couldn't get 455 from the rack.

Thats interesting. I pull a little higher than most so i can rack around that. Did you do conv or sumo? And if conventional do you go deep in the hole or pull high?

LegendKillerJosh
08-25-09, 10:46 pm
i never wear a belt when i train

so ive heavily cut down on the deadlifts from the floor and do more rack pulls to avoid thickening my waist

rack pulls are good.

just remember to keep the bar as close to your legs as possible....you dont wanna pick up and silly injuries

good luck

?...so you don't wear a belt, and cut down on deadlifts to avoid thickening your waist? The poster is looking for a good routine for deads and rack pulls, that is not good advice right there.

The_Beast
08-26-09, 4:12 am

thanks in advance

To balance out a routine, going back to Westside barbells aproach. Try an indirect method. lets say, for instance you can deadlift 435 from the floor which you stated. Rack pulls, are another method brought apon to increase your lower and upper back strength along with building the CNS system to handle the heavy workload. I would try, 8 sets of 5 Repetitions of lets say 405 pounds. Increasing the workload, will at a minimum build the lower back for maximum strength. just my oppinion for a starter workout.

theharjmann
08-26-09, 4:15 am
?...so you don't wear a belt, and cut down on deadlifts to avoid thickening your waist? The poster is looking for a good routine for deads and rack pulls, that is not good advice right there.

i know

ive learnt my lesson from finding out ive work my lower disc in my spine

Big Wides
08-26-09, 6:14 am
To do rack pulls set the pins so the bar is resting 2" - 4" inches below your knees. This will allow you to recruit more muscle fibers and mimic a pull from the floor the best way. Keep your form the same as you would from the floor, and drive through your heels. The point of the rack pulls are to overload your CNS (getting it used to handling heavy weight), work through sticking points, and this is just what I found to strengthen your hips which helps throughout the whole movement.

There is no "set" weight that you should be doing, you have to feel the exercise out.
If the weight you are using for where the bar is doesn't feel comfortable, drop the weight and do the fucking excersise the right way. The more you do it correctly the quicker the bigger weights will come.

LegendKillerJosh
08-26-09, 12:54 pm
i know

ive learnt my lesson from finding out ive work my lower disc in my spine

It's probably from not wearing a belt! When I wear my belt I'm able to force my abs out and it transfers the pressure to my hips and legs, and my back stays straight and doesn't hurt.

ghost
08-26-09, 12:56 pm
To do rack pulls set the pins so the bar is resting 2" - 4" inches below your knees. This will allow you to recruit more muscle fibers and mimic a pull from the floor the best way. Keep your form the same as you would from the floor, and drive through your heels. The point of the rack pulls are to overload your CNS (getting it used to handling heavy weight), work through sticking points, and this is just what I found to strengthen your hips which helps throughout the whole movement.

There is no "set" weight that you should be doing, you have to feel the exercise out.
If the weight you are using for where the bar is doesn't feel comfortable, drop the weight and do the fucking excersise the right way. The more you do it correctly the quicker the bigger weights will come.

ding ding ding. from the man himself.