PDA

View Full Version : leg press and lower back pain

sunny_max
07-08-09, 10:39 pm
i tried searching for it and i cldnt find it...so i apologize in advance if its a repeat.....
umm i feel back pain or rather my lower back is sore as if i have been workign on it everytime i do seated or lying leg press........is my form incorrect or is that something u experience.........please guide me in the correct direction......FYI i press 465lbs but i din have that problem till like 350lbs........

CuttDeez
07-08-09, 10:42 pm
have you squated before. How long have you been lifting?

Kingquads
07-08-09, 10:43 pm
i tried searching for it and i cldnt find it...so i apologize in advance if its a repeat.....
umm i feel back pain or rather my lower back is sore as if i have been workign on it everytime i do seated or lying leg press........is my form incorrect or is that something u experience.........please guide me in the correct direction......FYI i press 465lbs but i din have that problem till like 350lbs........

do you do any deadlifts or squats? bent over rows maybe?

sunny_max
07-08-09, 11:03 pm
thnx for the reply guys
yup.....i do all that too.....but my squats are really weak and i am constantly trying to get my form correct on it.......they are nothing but 205 lbsX 5........i do them on smith machine to get my form right...as for deads its 325lbX5 and my bent overs are 145lbsX5.....all my forms are correct but i still feel sore when i do them leg presses......i am 6'1" 193lbs....9.6% bf currently on a maintaining lean mass phase......

sunny_max
07-08-09, 11:04 pm
have you squated before. How long have you been lifting?

i am 24 an di have been lifting since i was in high school but never actually worked on my legs enough......i kinda have what they call ..chicken legs .......i no i no ..nothing to be proud off.......

CuttDeez
07-08-09, 11:10 pm
not trying to make you feel bad at all bro just trying to help. I think the problem is that you trained upper body so much throughout your life and did not develop your core muscles at all. The way people develop a strong core / lower back si through squatting and dead lifts and rdls and good mornings and lower back stability exercises like GH raises and hypers. If you have not do them and you start training your legs your legs will get ahead of your back. Basically your legs are supporting the weight gains but your back is giving you the finger ha ha. You need to develop your lower back before you start upping the weight.

sunny_max
07-08-09, 11:22 pm
not trying to make you feel bad at all bro just trying to help. I think the problem is that you trained upper body so much throughout your life and did not develop your core muscles at all. The way people develop a strong core / lower back si through squatting and dead lifts and rdls and good mornings and lower back stability exercises like GH raises and hypers. If you have not do them and you start training your legs your legs will get ahead of your back. Basically your legs are supporting the weight gains but your back is giving you the finger ha ha. You need to develop your lower back before you start upping the weight.

haha no offence taken bro i no ur tryign to help me......and ur exactly right.....when ur in high school u just work on ur guns and dnt give a shit about overall physique and thats exactly what happened to me.....now i no the importance of legs and trying to work on em but i will incorporate more exercises for lower back like goodmornings and hypers before i move up on weights for legs.........appreciate ur help bro......

CuttDeez
07-08-09, 11:24 pm
haha no offence taken bro i no ur tryign to help me......and ur exactly right.....when ur in high school u just work on ur guns and dnt give a shit about overall physique and thats exactly what happened to me.....now i no the importance of legs and trying to work on em but i will incorporate more exercises for lower back like goodmornings and hypers before i move up on weights for legs.........appreciate ur help bro......

No problem man let me know how it goes and don't hesitate if you need help

Jonisocool
07-08-09, 11:27 pm

most leg press machines already put a lot of pressure on the lower spine. I doubt a weak core is gunna make your back significantly sore/in pain from just doing leg presses and leg exts.

Stick with squats for a bit, and away from the leg press. if your core still gets sore, then maybe I'm wrong.

sunny_max
07-08-09, 11:37 pm
No problem man let me know how it goes and don't hesitate if you need help

appreciate it bro

CuttDeez
07-08-09, 11:38 pm
most leg press machines already put a lot of pressure on the lower spine. I doubt a weak core is gunna make your back significantly sore/in pain from just doing leg presses and leg exts.

Stick with squats for a bit, and away from the leg press. if your core still gets sore, then maybe I'm wrong.

I don't claim to be all knowing you might be right. it is true that your lumbar spine is put in an underarched and weak position on leg press machines. you could be right

sunny_max
07-08-09, 11:39 pm

u could be right to an extent too bro.....as my squats are weak and i am currently tryign to up the weight on it with them good form too......

dannynb
07-09-09, 12:02 am
It sounds to me like you're rolling your hips when you do leg press.....try keeping your ass and tail bone on the pad when you leg press. Don't allow your hips to roll upward when you come down.....

Jonisocool
07-09-09, 1:22 am
I don't claim to be all knowing you might be right. it is true that your lumbar spine is put in an underarched and weak position on leg press machines. you could be right

I've read about it somewhere on elitefts, and all my friends and I agree that its too much pressure on our lower spines. Also narrow foot placement exerts greater pressure on the
lower spine which often leads to injury.

u could be right to an extent too bro.....as my squats are weak and i am currently tryign to up the weight on it with them good form too......

No such thing as a weak squat bro. A weak squat is one with bad form. Dont matter where you're at, you aint got nowhere to go but up. Keep squating

D-Kev
07-09-09, 3:15 am
....Even if you have to considerably lower the weight, which is the safe thing to do anyway;
Get out of the smith machine and really learn to squat in a rack. Get that form down.
Start with the bar and do 2 x 5. Throw on 65 and do a set of 5, 95 a set of 3. 135 at 5x5 and just try and feel the movement.

DreamZero
07-09-09, 12:23 pm
i'd bet the problem is about your hip mobility.

how low can you squat? parallel? atg? should be a good indicator

CuttDeez
07-09-09, 12:28 pm
I think all of our theories would be helped if you could post a video of you doing it

live2lift
07-09-09, 12:28 pm
It sounds to me like you're rolling your hips when you do leg press.....try keeping your ass and tail bone on the pad when you leg press. Don't allow your hips to roll upward when you come down.....

This would be my advice as well...make sure that your glutes do not come off of the pad...you are opening yourself to injury if you do.

Peace

prowrestler
07-09-09, 12:35 pm
stop leg pressing. start squatting with more of a plan.

get your squat up, and your legs will respond.

OklahomaMuscle
07-09-09, 2:28 pm
Lot's of good advice in here, you may also check the angle of the back rest, that can make a difference as to hip mobility which can affect the lower back by causing you to roll your hips and come off of the pad...

sunny_max
07-09-09, 9:29 pm
i'd bet the problem is about your hip mobility.

how low can you squat? parallel? atg? should be a good indicator

i usused to squat all the way down but when i came up it wld place pressure on my neck an di wld lean forward...a powerlifter at my gym told me keep the bar below or right around the traps and dnt go below parallel, i like going all the way down but cant get the form right.....

sunny_max
07-09-09, 9:31 pm

thnx for the advice...but i tried doing it in the gym today and my hips dnt roll up.....they r firmly on the pad.......ummmmi tried doing less weight today around 400lbs and my back was till sore......i have a back day tomo an di am going to concentrate on hypers after my deadlifts......

sunny_max
07-09-09, 9:37 pm
Lot's of good advice in here, you may also check the angle of the back rest, that can make a difference as to hip mobility which can affect the lower back by causing you to roll your hips and come off of the pad...

thnx for all the advice guys i really appreciate it.....so basically i am concentrating on my squats now...getting the form correct off the smith machine.......and double checking my form on presses while concentrating on my lower back with exercises like hypers and goodmornings cause my deads are already good.......

dannynb
07-09-09, 9:45 pm
How far apart are your leg and back days...should be 3 days to give your back time to rest.

sunny_max
07-09-09, 9:52 pm
currently my schedule is
mon - shoulders and biceps
tues - back and triceps
wed - off
thur - legs and calves
fri - chest
sat and sun--- off
i throw in abs with 100 m dashX5 during my night shift at work....3 times a week......