PDA

View Full Version : Fats question..confused

sideburnz
07-09-09, 4:41 am
I want to stay lean and avoid fats that would contribute to so called 'fatness'..so my question is, when i buy a product, on the nutrtion content what should i look out for? Isit the total fat, saturated fat or cholesterol? & how much roughly is the limit to consume per meal if i wanna lean bulk?

PORTERHOUSE
07-09-09, 8:32 am
Saturated fats and trans fats are bad. The 'good fats' you are looking for are Polyunsaturated and especially Monounsaturated. read the ingredients and stay away from hydrogenated oil, very high in trans fats. A lot of times companies wont list the poly and mono content on the nutrition facts, but by law they have to have trans and saturated listed. One way to tell if there are good fats in there is if the ingredients list has total fat that sounds high, maybe 14 gms, but the trans fat is 0 and saturated fat is low, like 1.5 or two, like peanut butter.

CuttDeez
07-09-09, 8:39 am
One thing to think about as well is the fact that saturated fats come from dairy products. If you grab a meal replacement bar and look at the fats you will find (if its a good bar) a lot of fats, no trans fats, but some saturated fats. Don't be too scared because of the saturated. Look at the ingrediant list and there is probably a dairy product in the bar.

Also in terms of good fats make sure your getting your EPA and DHAs. These come from your omegas. Everything he said is right about the good fats!!

sideburnz
07-09-09, 8:49 am
so could you give me a rough range limit of different types of fats that i should take per meal if im on a lean bulk?

ygbodybuilder10
07-09-09, 9:39 am
so could you give me a rough range limit of different types of fats that i should take per meal if im on a lean bulk?

well for me i get the good fats from eggs, peanuts, all kinds of nuts, sunflower seeds, and red meat

CuttDeez
07-09-09, 9:44 am

Monounsaturated:
peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios, avocado, canola and olive oil

Polyunsaturated:
salmon and other fish oils, corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oils

Saturated:
animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs

I would try to stay in the top two but like I said dipping into the saturated is not the worse thing for you and its practically unavoidable.

GJN5002
07-09-09, 10:04 am

how many calories are you taking in a day or do you want to take in total? Also what are your stats?

stumblin54
07-09-09, 4:06 pm
If you're having trouble getting fats in I might suggest a tbsp of coconut oil 3-4 times per day with meals. It contains trans fats, but the ones contained in this oil actually promote your metabolic activity.

Stumblin

sideburnz
07-09-09, 11:17 pm
no,no my question is how much fats should i take to remain on a lean bulk guys... and the amount range 2 consume for each fat.

IronWilson
07-09-09, 11:20 pm
no,no my question is how much fats should i take to remain on a lean bulk guys... and the amount range 2 consume for each fat.

When it comes to staying lean, you have to balance out your carb and fat intake. If you decide that you are taking in a higher amount of carbs, lower your fats. And vice versa, if you are taking in a higher amount of fats, take in a lower amount of carbs.

In the end, if you take in too many excess calories, you'll gain fat. And that's all it is.

CuttDeez
07-09-09, 11:21 pm

Hey bro to each his own on this one. I like fats in my diet. They give me some long lasting energy and because they are healthy help me vascularly. Even when I am on a cut I like to keep my fat about 25 to 30 % of my total caloric intake

Beach91
07-09-09, 11:28 pm
Yep i agree with the last post, use your own body as a measure. Its best to figure out a percentage of your daily diet alotted to fat, not necessarily the type of fat whether it be mono, poly etc.

That being said, you want the majority of your fats to come from healthy fat sources. But i would figure out your caloric intake first, followed by a percentage breakdown of carbs/proteins/fats, say 45/35/20 as an example. Then break that alotted 20% down between healthy fat sources like nuts, salmon etc.