PDA

View Full Version : MVP's Program Recommendation

MVP
07-10-09, 1:45 am
Many of you have PM'ed me for assistance advice on your routine, which is cool. I'm getting about 5 PM's per week for one on one advice on routine recommendations and several have asked me to make a program, so that's where this is going. I'm going to list 3 programs that I think a beginner / intermediate lifter would respond from phenomenally, and with it I'll elaborate the training principals.

Program A

Generally, a beginner can progress each workout and each workout comes closer to progressing in the next one. So, with this in mind, it's hard to argue that full body programs aren't optimal for a beginner. With this in mind, you'll likely witness a significant increase in strength during your first few weeks of training, however you probably won't witness a significant amount of hypertrophy. Why is this? Well when you maximally stimulate muscle fibers that previously weren't stimulated to the point of overload, your nervous system demands that previously inactive motor units inside of muscle fibers be recruited, and that's what newbie gains are - inactive motor units inside muscle fibers being forced into contraction, increasing the muscular force behind the concentric contraction, increasing the amount of resistance generated.

Included in a full body program, you ideally want the following movements.

A quad dominant exercise --- Squat
A hamstring dominant exercise --- stiff-leg deadlift / hamstring curl
A posterior chain dominant exercise --- power clean / deadlift

A horizontal push --- flat bench
A horizontal pull --- barbell row

A vertical push --- overhead press
A vertical pull --- pullup/pull down

The general rule of thumb is 1-5 reps = strength / 6-12 reps = hypertrophy <<< although not always accurate.

Workout A:
Squat
Stiff-leg deadlift
Flat Bench
Barbell Row
Weighted Dips (optional)

Workout B:
Squat
Hamstring Curl (for athletes / powerlifters --- power cleans are fine as a substitution)
OH Press
Pullup
Barbell Curls (optional)

A general week would look like this.

Week 1 - Monday (A), Wednesday (B), Friday (A)
Week 2 - Monday (B), Wednesday (A), Friday (B)
etc.

Most people DON'T need to add in isolation movements. But if you absolutely feel it is necessary. At the end of workout a adding in weighted dips and at the end of workout b adding in alternating dumbell curls will do good for you, although I personally don't recommend it.

For your first rep range (as a beginner)

Use 3 X 10 (three sets of ten repetitions) ...continue using this until you stall, if you use the same weight for two straight workouts due to the inability to produce more force (add weight) then decrease the volume to 3 X 8, next you'd use 3 X 5, continue using this philosophy until you reach 3 X 3 and stall with it, then you can either max or just take a week off, then when you return back to 3 X 10 you should have busted your old plateau. If you're an athlete, you can do power cleans instead of hamstring curls, or if you're a competitive powerlifter.

However, with power cleans I don't advise more than 3 reps per set. 3 X 3 is ideal with them.

Recommended diet for the program.

[B]Meal 1- Eggs, Oatmeal, Tomato
Meal 2- Whey protein with peanut butter
Meal 3- Grilled chicken, brown rice, spinach (pre-workout)
Meal 4- Whey protein with peanut butter (post-workout)
Meal 5- Tuna or fish, a banana, pasta or brown rice
Meal 6- Cottage cheese or a casein based shake (like muscle milk) << for slow releasing proteins.

Additional comments:- Add cardio in on your off days to benefit your heart, lungs and overall circulation. Drink a gallon of water per day, keep the cardio moderate, 10-15 minutes twice per week, HIIT is preferable, of if you're worried about losing muscle mass you can do a low intensity cardio like walking on an incline for 20 minutes or so. Just don't work your external muscles over your internal muscles that keep you alive. Doesn't make sense.

Program B

Day 1 - Chest & Back "A"

* Flat Bench Press - 3 X 10
* Barbell Row - 3 X 10
* Pullup - 3 X 10

Day 2 - Legs & Shoulders "A"

* Squat - 3 X 10
* Military Press - 3 X 10
* BO Lateral Raise - 3 X 10

Day 3 - Arms

* Barbell Curls - 3 X 10
* Triceps Extensions - 3 X 10
* Skull Crushers or close grip bench presses - 3 X 10

Day 4 - Chest and Back "B"

* Incline Bench Press - 5 X 5
* Decline Bench Press - 5 X 5
* Pullup - 5 X 5

Day 5 - Legs & Shoulders "B"

* Deadlift - 5 X 5
* Military Press - 5 X 5
* BO Lateral Raise - 5 X 5

Program C

Day 1 - Upper Pull

Barbell Row
Pullup
Face Pulls
DB Curls

Lower Push

Squat
Leg Press
Lunges
Leg Extensions

Upper Push

Flat Barbell Press
Standing Barbell Press
Incline Press
Weighted Dips

Lower Pull

Deadlift
Power clean
Hamstring Curls
Hanging Leg Raises

Enjoy the programs, if there are questions or comments regarding the principals or confusion. Ask and I'll respond.

MVP

Kingquads
07-10-09, 2:05 am
Many of you have PM'ed me for assistance advice on your routine, which is cool. I'm getting about 5 PM's per week for one on one advice on routine recommendations and several have asked me to make a program, so that's where this is going. I'm going to list 3 programs that I think a beginner / intermediate lifter would respond from phenomenally, and with it I'll elaborate the training principals.

Program A

Generally, a beginner can progress each workout and each workout comes closer to progressing in the next one. So, with this in mind, it's hard to argue that full body programs aren't optimal for a beginner. With this in mind, you'll likely witness a significant increase in strength during your first few weeks of training, however you probably won't witness a significant amount of hypertrophy. Why is this? Well when you maximally stimulate muscle fibers that previously weren't stimulated to the point of overload, your nervous system demands that previously inactive motor units inside of muscle fibers be recruited, and that's what newbie gains are - inactive motor units inside muscle fibers being forced into contraction, increasing the muscular force behind the concentric contraction, increasing the amount of resistance generated.

Included in a full body program, you ideally want the following movements.

A quad dominant exercise --- Squat
A hamstring dominant exercise --- stiff-leg deadlift / hamstring curl
A posterior chain dominant exercise --- power clean / deadlift

A horizontal push --- flat bench
A horizontal pull --- barbell row

A vertical push --- overhead press
A vertical pull --- pullup/pull down

The general rule of thumb is 1-5 reps = strength / 6-12 reps = hypertrophy <<< although not always accurate.

Workout A:
Squat
Stiff-leg deadlift
Flat Bench
Barbell Row
Weighted Dips (optional)

Workout B:
Squat
Hamstring Curl (for athletes / powerlifters --- power cleans are fine as a substitution)
OH Press
Pullup
Barbell Curls (optional)

A general week would look like this.

Week 1 - Monday (A), Wednesday (B), Friday (A)
Week 2 - Monday (B), Wednesday (A), Friday (B)
etc.

Most people DON'T need to add in isolation movements. But if you absolutely feel it is necessary. At the end of workout a adding in weighted dips and at the end of workout b adding in alternating dumbell curls will do good for you, although I personally don't recommend it.

For your first rep range (as a beginner)

Use 3 X 10 (three sets of ten repetitions) ...continue using this until you stall, if you use the same weight for two straight workouts due to the inability to produce more force (add weight) then decrease the volume to 3 X 8, next you'd use 3 X 5, continue using this philosophy until you reach 3 X 3 and stall with it, then you can either max or just take a week off, then when you return back to 3 X 10 you should have busted your old plateau. If you're an athlete, you can do power cleans instead of hamstring curls, or if you're a competitive powerlifter.

However, with power cleans I don't advise more than 3 reps per set. 3 X 3 is ideal with them.

Recommended diet for the program.

[B]Meal 1- Eggs, Oatmeal, Tomato
Meal 2- Whey protein with peanut butter
Meal 3- Grilled chicken, brown rice, spinach (pre-workout)
Meal 4- Whey protein with peanut butter (post-workout)
Meal 5- Tuna or fish, a banana, pasta or brown rice
Meal 6- Cottage cheese or a casein based shake (like muscle milk) << for slow releasing proteins.

Additional comments:- Add cardio in on your off days to benefit your heart, lungs and overall circulation. Drink a gallon of water per day, keep the cardio moderate, 10-15 minutes twice per week, HIIT is preferable, of if you're worried about losing muscle mass you can do a low intensity cardio like walking on an incline for 20 minutes or so. Just don't work your external muscles over your internal muscles that keep you alive. Doesn't make sense.

Program B

Day 1 - Chest & Back "A"

* Flat Bench Press - 3 X 10
* Barbell Row - 3 X 10
* Pullup - 3 X 10

Day 2 - Legs & Shoulders "A"

* Squat - 3 X 10
* Military Press - 3 X 10
* BO Lateral Raise - 3 X 10

Day 3 - Arms

* Barbell Curls - 3 X 10
* Triceps Extensions - 3 X 10
* Skull Crushers or close grip bench presses - 3 X 10

Day 4 - Chest and Back "B"

* Incline Bench Press - 5 X 5
* Decline Bench Press - 5 X 5
* Pullup - 5 X 5

Day 5 - Legs & Shoulders "B"

* Deadlift - 5 X 5
* Military Press - 5 X 5
* BO Lateral Raise - 5 X 5

Program C

Day 1 - Upper Pull

Barbell Row
Pullup
Face Pulls
DB Curls

Lower Push

Squat
Leg Press
Lunges
Leg Extensions

Upper Push

Flat Barbell Press
Standing Barbell Press
Incline Press
Weighted Dips

Lower Pull

Deadlift
Power clean
Hamstring Curls
Hanging Leg Raises

Enjoy the programs, if there are questions or comments regarding the principals or confusion. Ask and I'll respond.

MVP

wow this is awesome, hopefully everyone on these forums gets to see this, thanks MVP

MVP
07-10-09, 2:48 am
wow this is awesome, hopefully everyone on these forums gets to see this, thanks MVP

Thanks. Enjoy the program and diet and if you have any additional questions feel free to ask.

Kingquads
07-10-09, 2:56 am
Thanks. Enjoy the program and diet and if you have any additional questions feel free to ask.

oh yea with the diet, shouldnt you get in sugar post workout? or some kind of quick carb

MVP
07-10-09, 3:08 am
oh yea with the diet, shouldnt you get in sugar post workout? or some kind of quick carb

The brown rice and spinach will have a slower release, it takes longer to convert to glucose so it'll generally give you longer stamina. Most people eat an hour pre-workout, a simple carbohydrate source would easily ware out first, you could according to preference replace the brown rice with a fruit or protein bar, but I doubt you'd have longer lasting effects in comparison to a grain and veggie.

rainwave
07-10-09, 7:03 am
Just a question regarding the peanut butter post workout... doesn't fat slow down digestion? I would have thought it be better to have the whey protein straight, followed by some simple sugars like an apple to spike insulin levels. I generally save the peanut butter for the morning and before bed.

J.Damico
07-10-09, 7:20 am
A pre-workout meal should consist of carbohydrates and not be weighted with protein. The reason being is that protein is the most complex chain to digest thus taking the longest to work its way through the epithelium of your small intestine. An average persons stomach takes 2 hours for it to empty its contents fully, that being said, eating an hour before workout with a large meal like chicken, brown rice and spinach might leave you feeling bloated and nauseated. Another reason why you should not eat such a heavy meal so close to workout is that when you eat your digestive system calls for more blood for it to work to contract and breakdown your meal and also for absorption but also when you workout your muscles call for more blood to deliver oxygen and nutrients. This is counterproductive, too much blood being called from too many sources and consuming a meal this heavy will take away from your pump if consumed within a 2 hour window.

My suggestion, along with several professionals is to eat a carbohydrate light meal
I workout in the morning so it consists of a piece of fruit or some toast, or some fruit juice. Carbohydrates are the simplest to breakdown and absorb.

MVP always gives great advice and knows his shit when it comes to his routines and if you want to follow his program just make sure you have that meal 2 hours prior to your workout.

MVP
07-10-09, 2:03 pm
Just a question regarding the peanut butter post workout... doesn't fat slow down digestion? I would have thought it be better to have the whey protein straight, followed by some simple sugars like an apple to spike insulin levels. I generally save the peanut butter for the morning and before bed.

I copied and pasted the peanut butter and didn't realize it, the 2nd meal should be peanut butter and a banana.