PDA

View Full Version : My First Cutting Diet

71bbo455
07-12-09, 8:32 am
Well Brother's here it is my first time trying to cut. I am 37 years old 5'10.5" and weigh in at 199.5 lbs. According to my bf scale I'm 31%. While I'm not big enough to be cutting for a contest I feel very unhealthy and tired all the time. So I'm going to try and cut for 12 weeks to drop some bf and then I'll try to clean bulk from there. I will be training 4 days per week and trying to get 3 days of cardio and abs in. Just need to be healthier. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Day 1 first meal.

6 egg white omelette with 1/4 cup fiesta cheese and pepper and garlic powder.
1/2 cup whole oatmeal with water.

All in all a good meal but I can't stand plain oatmeal. Can anyone tell me something to add that won't add too much cals and sugar to make it taste better? I used to add brown sugar, maybe a tablespoon, but don't know if that will be too much sugar.

More to come later.

Pizzalamp
07-12-09, 10:39 am
Well Brother's here it is my first time trying to cut. I am 37 years old 5'10.5" and weigh in at 199.5 lbs. According to my bf scale I'm 31%. While I'm not big enough to be cutting for a contest I feel very unhealthy and tired all the time. So I'm going to try and cut for 12 weeks to drop some bf and then I'll try to clean bulk from there. I will be training 4 days per week and trying to get 3 days of cardio and abs in. Just need to be healthier. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Day 1 first meal.

6 egg white omelette with 1/4 cup fiesta cheese and pepper and garlic powder.
1/2 cup whole oatmeal with water.

All in all a good meal but I can't stand plain oatmeal. Can anyone tell me something to add that won't add too much cals and sugar to make it taste better? I used to add brown sugar, maybe a tablespoon, but don't know if that will be too much sugar.

More to come later.

good luck w your cut and journey
im subbd for sure

on that 1st meal, id add in a yolk or 2 to those egg whites
w/ the oats u dont have to have them...u could do 2 slices of whole grain toast if u want...or even a whole wheat tortilla with the eggs wrapped up inside

but if u do have oats...to make em taste better...u could add some splenda and cinnomon to them

71bbo455
07-12-09, 3:56 pm
Pizzalamp thanks for the splenda idea. I'll give that a shot. I will also try subbing with some whole wheat stuff on other days.

Today wasn't the best eating day. Worked on my shed in the back yard all day so didn't eat as often as I should have.

Lunch:
4 oz top round steak, 3 oz chicken, spinach salad with balsamic vinegar.

About to have a snack of 1 green apple cored with tablespoon natty pb.

71bbo455
07-12-09, 7:07 pm
Well just got done with dinner. It was delicious. I had 8 oz of grilled salmon, 1 sweet potato and some roasted broc, string beans, and a 1/2 a yellow onion. Nothing on any of it but some crushed black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. I think that I might have to reduce my portion of salmon or meats from 8 oz to 6 ox. What do you guys think? I'm pretty full.

71bbo455
07-12-09, 10:12 pm
Last meal before bed. Just had about 3 tbsp natty pb and 2 graham crackers with a glass of milk. Not sure if it's too much fat but this is all trial and error for me. Never been here before so I'll see how it goes. According to the scale I lost 1 1/2 lbs today. Not that I expect that everyday. In fact I don't even know why I got on the scale tonight. Won't do it again for at least a week or 2.

Pizzalamp
07-12-09, 10:24 pm
Well just got done with dinner. It was delicious. I had 8 oz of grilled salmon, 1 sweet potato and some roasted broc, string beans, and a 1/2 a yellow onion. Nothing on any of it but some crushed black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. I think that I might have to reduce my portion of salmon or meats from 8 oz to 6 ox. What do you guys think? I'm pretty full.

6 oz cooked is about 50 g of protein...so thats what i usually do and it works good

on that last meal the natty pb is good...but u dont want to have too much of it..id go w like a tablespoon and half...so thats about 12g of good fats...3tbsp is like 24g i think...thats a lot of cals...i would try to limit the carbs at night too...maybe have some egg whites or chciken w that pb

i think u need to come up w a solid diet plan that u stick w...that way itll be easier for u have meals insteadof just throwings tuff together here and there...youll get better results

71bbo455
07-13-09, 7:34 am
6 oz cooked is about 50 g of protein...so thats what i usually do and it works good

on that last meal the natty pb is good...but u dont want to have too much of it..id go w like a tablespoon and half...so thats about 12g of good fats...3tbsp is like 24g i think...thats a lot of cals...i would try to limit the carbs at night too...maybe have some egg whites or chciken w that pb

i think u need to come up w a solid diet plan that u stick w...that way itll be easier for u have meals insteadof just throwings tuff together here and there...youll get better results

Thanks Pizza. I really know what I want to eat I just don't know about portions. That is what I need to get under control. I'm trying to get the portion that I won't feel hungry but also not full. Last night was a little too full. I'm going to cut back to 6 oz and go from there. I think that should be good.

Breakfast this morning is going to be 4 egg whites and 1 yolk with a sweet potato. 1 glass of milk. I'm on my way to eat that now. Keep the info coming I like it.

71bbo455
07-13-09, 11:49 am
4 oz grilled salmon, grilled onions and some broc and string beans.

71bbo455
07-13-09, 4:27 pm
Pre workout Animal Pak and Light Protein Bar.

Today Chest and Arms.

Flat Bench
135 x 15
155 x 10
175 x 7
185 x 5
225 x 1 forced rep
Incline DB
45 x 12
50 x 10
55 x 8
60 x 6
DB Pullover
30 x 12
40 x 10
Curls
45(bar) x 15
55 x 12
65 x 10
DB Curls
25 x 10
30 x 9
Skullcrushers
45 x 15
55 x 10
65 x 8
Overhead DB Ext.
50 x 10
55 x 8
60 x 6
Pushdowns
40 x 10
50 x 8

Post workout protein shake consisting of 1 cup milk, 1 scoop milk and egg protein powder, 1 tbsp natty pb, and 1 banana.

All in all feel good. Had a bad headache but by the end of the workout it's gone. Feel like a productive workout.

71bbo455
07-13-09, 8:01 pm
Dinner was a little bit heavier than needed tonight. Went out to eat with the family. I had a plain piece of 8 oz salmon, with a corn and asparagus risoto. Didn't finish all the rice but it wasn't brown rice so not so good.

Pizzalamp
07-13-09, 8:13 pm
Thanks Pizza. I really know what I want to eat I just don't know about portions. That is what I need to get under control. I'm trying to get the portion that I won't feel hungry but also not full. Last night was a little too full. I'm going to cut back to 6 oz and go from there. I think that should be good.

Breakfast this morning is going to be 4 egg whites and 1 yolk with a sweet potato. 1 glass of milk. I'm on my way to eat that now. Keep the info coming I like it.
breakfast looks good...im not a fan of milk or dairy...if it were me id drop it...but i dunno how ya body process dairy

4 oz grilled salmon, grilled onions and some broc and string beans.
nice!

Pre workout Animal Pak and Light Protein Bar.

Today Chest and Arms.

Flat Bench
135 x 15
155 x 10
175 x 7
185 x 5
225 x 1 forced rep
Incline DB
45 x 12
50 x 10
55 x 8
60 x 6
DB Pullover
30 x 12
40 x 10
Curls
45(bar) x 15
55 x 12
65 x 10
DB Curls
25 x 10
30 x 9
Skullcrushers
45 x 15
55 x 10
65 x 8
Overhead DB Ext.
50 x 10
55 x 8
60 x 6
Pushdowns
40 x 10
50 x 8

Post workout protein shake consisting of 1 cup milk, 1 scoop milk and egg protein powder, 1 tbsp natty pb, and 1 banana.

All in all feel good. Had a bad headache but by the end of the workout it's gone. Feel like a productive workout.post wrkout id skip the milk...and do 2 scoops of the powder

Dinner was a little bit heavier than needed tonight. Went out to eat with the family. I had a plain piece of 8 oz salmon, with a corn and asparagus risoto. Didn't finish all the rice but it wasn't brown rice so not so good.
sounds ok...w the rissoto its usually loaded w lots of oils and butter, but once in a while is cool

71bbo455
07-13-09, 10:01 pm
sounds ok...w the rissoto its usually loaded w lots of oils and butter, but once in a while is cool

Actually there wasn't much butter it was a white wine in there. Still not the best, but it was going out and other than being very early in my diet it's not as bad as could be. I need to stay away from going out though.

I"m going to do my best to stick with this. I feel awesome right now. In fact after only 2 days on this when I eat heavy it really weighs me down. I feel better not eating it. Plus so far I don't really feel hungry so I'm not having any cravings for anything bad yet. I know that it will come though.

Thanks for all the support Pizza. It really helps a lot. I'm not much of a training log keeper. Never liked to keep one but I'm going to really try on this site. Having someone respond makes it easier to keep it.

I'll post my diet tomorrow but not scheduled to train. If I get home early enough from work then I'll do some abs and maybe cardio. Might have to work a 14 hour day tomorrow though.

I'm having my last meal of the day right now.. 4 hard boiled egg whites and 2 graham crackers.

71bbo455
07-14-09, 5:12 am
Brekafast:

2 hb egg whites
3 oz salmon
1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 tbsp brown sugar.

Just packed up all my food for the day. Off to work.

C.Coronato
07-14-09, 10:19 am
Looking good in here my man. As far as having red bliss pots i think you would be ok on the occasion. Use them up, no need to waste the money. Just dont over indulge.

71bbo455
07-14-09, 7:49 pm
Todays food. No training though.

After breakfast morning snack of protein shake 24 g protein.

5 oz grilled salmon, 1/2 sweet pototo, broc and string beans.

5 oz grilled chicken on whole what wrap with little bit honey mustard.

6 hd egg whites and spinach.

5 oz steak grilled, peas, salad.

I'm about to hit the showers and then I'll have my night snack and hit the hay.

TTL Thanks for the advice. I'll eat them until gone then no more for a while.

Young&Hungry
07-14-09, 9:08 pm
Nice to see another CT brotha training hard. This is just my opinion, but I think at 31% at a weight that's sub-200 pounds I really don't think you need to drive yourself nuts with the dieting thing. I think if you clean up your diet and simply reduce your portion sizes, do not eat cheat meals on a regular basis, and do some form of cardiovascular training or conditioning work you can achieve your goals very successfully. I am not a fan of going nuts with dieting because most people on this board do not compete, so why do the diet of a competitive athlete if you have no immediate plans of competing? Do you really need to be 3% bodyfat or would you just like to have some abs and just feel like a healthier individual overall?

In my experience, my sport (strongman) isn't a physique sport but I needed to raise my conditioning level, and I'm not afraid to say that I wanted to lose some of the winter bulking fat I put on. All I did was do some form of cardio or conditioning every single day and cut back on my portion sizes, and I never cheated. I ate carbs with every single one of my meals except my last one, and in about 4 months time I went from 207 with 15-16% BF to 185 with 7% BF and did not lose strength on any of my lifts. I was thrilled with how I looked at 7% and called the cut there.

How was your diet before you started the cut? Like I said before, if you hit the cardio just as hard as the weights and just learn how to eat balanced and in control, I think you will see great changes. Let me know brother and I'd be happy to help you out more.

71bbo455
07-14-09, 9:43 pm
Nice to see another CT brotha training hard. This is just my opinion, but I think at 31% at a weight that's sub-200 pounds I really don't think you need to drive yourself nuts with the dieting thing. I think if you clean up your diet and simply reduce your portion sizes, do not eat cheat meals on a regular basis, and do some form of cardiovascular training or conditioning work you can achieve your goals very successfully. I am not a fan of going nuts with dieting because most people on this board do not compete, so why do the diet of a competitive athlete if you have no immediate plans of competing? Do you really need to be 3% bodyfat or would you just like to have some abs and just feel like a healthier individual overall?

In my experience, my sport (strongman) isn't a physique sport but I needed to raise my conditioning level, and I'm not afraid to say that I wanted to lose some of the winter bulking fat I put on. All I did was do some form of cardio or conditioning every single day and cut back on my portion sizes, and I never cheated. I ate carbs with every single one of my meals except my last one, and in about 4 months time I went from 207 with 15-16% BF to 185 with 7% BF and did not lose strength on any of my lifts. I was thrilled with how I looked at 7% and called the cut there.

How was your diet before you started the cut? Like I said before, if you hit the cardio just as hard as the weights and just learn how to eat balanced and in control, I think you will see great changes. Let me know brother and I'd be happy to help you out more.

Y&H,
Yeah I agree with you on not going crazy on a diet. I'm calling it a cut diet but I'm just looking to drop some extra body fat. When I get to where I want to be then I'll just eat normally. I'm doing this to get a jump start. My diet previously what pretty shitty. I let myself go big time. At my best I was 199 lbs at 4% bf but that was many years ago. I don't want to get back down that low but would like to be in the mid teens. The only thing that I'm trying to limit is junk food, bad carbs, and bad fats. I'm starting out a little bit extreme and will adjust from there.

Basically I want to get my body back in shape. All of the muscle and size that I had went into my stomach. So I need to get going for my mental sanity as well as my health. I'm not 17 anymore and have some family health issues that I don't want to crop up for me. Maybe one day I will try and compete but for now get healthy and more size.

71bbo455
07-14-09, 9:48 pm
Just ate my last meal of the day.

4 oz chicken breast sauteed in garlic and olive oil with seasonings.
2 red potatos broiled with 1/4 cup cheese.

Young&Hungry
07-14-09, 9:59 pm
Y&H,
Yeah I agree with you on not going crazy on a diet. I'm calling it a cut diet but I'm just looking to drop some extra body fat. When I get to where I want to be then I'll just eat normally. I'm doing this to get a jump start. My diet previously what pretty shitty. I let myself go big time. At my best I was 199 lbs at 4% bf but that was many years ago. I don't want to get back down that low but would like to be in the mid teens. The only thing that I'm trying to limit is junk food, bad carbs, and bad fats. I'm starting out a little bit extreme and will adjust from there.

Basically I want to get my body back in shape. All of the muscle and size that I had went into my stomach. So I need to get going for my mental sanity as well as my health. I'm not 17 anymore and have some family health issues that I don't want to crop up for me. Maybe one day I will try and compete but for now get healthy and more size.

Sounds like you know where your head's at and know what you want. There is nothing wrong with getting back on track and having no plans of competition in mind. Weight training and good eating should be a part of all people's lives and not just competitive athletes.

With the food you've been eating lately it sounds like you know what clean is and that's a good sign. Lean meats, complex carbs, and a fruit or vegetable are what should be in front of you 5-6 times a day. Leave the worries about maltodextrin in your peanut butter, counting every calorie, and wondering if 1/2 cup of rice is too much to the birds who weigh 140 pounds and brag about their abs yet can't lift a toothpick.

I am not one to oppose snacking between meals either. I know most bodybuilders would drop dead at this concept, but you are a normal human being who gets a little hungry between meals and there's nothing wrong with that. Just know what's acceptable and what's overkill. Nuts, fruits, trail mix, beef jerky or other small meat portions, vegetables, yogurt, and whole grain products are things you should never feel guilty about munching on between meals. There is a difference between eating a handful of nuts and having the whole can so just watch the amount you're putting into your mouth.

I am opposed to cheat meals on a regular basis though, which is something else 99% of people would disagree with me on. As a kid who used to put away a family sized bag of Doritos in a single sitting and not think twice about it, I know that if I indulge like that it will just bring me back to old bad habits.

The only time I have some junk is immediately after a competition. I will have ONE MEAL of pizza, a big burger or fries, and call it there. Prior to my last PL meet I had not had a single slice of pizza in 3 years. Junk just isn't a part of my life any more and I have no desire to consume it. And whatever moron who said that putting processed carbohydrates, artificial fats and the like into your body once in a while is actually helpful towards the fat loss and muscle building process should be maimed. Like the great Siddhartha Gautama preached, eliminate the want. If you put garbage into your body, even if it's once in a while, what makes you think you will ever stop craving it? Eliminate the craving, and then the habit will eliminate itself.

I think since your health proceeds your physique goals, daily cardio should be imperative on your list. At 37 I imagine you have a family and kids to care for, so the rockstar live fast lifestyle of some bodybuilders on the circuit is not appealing to you. I would start with 60 minutes on a cardio machine at a low intensity on days you do not lift, and 20-45 minutes of a little bit higher intensity on days you do lift would suit you well.

71bbo455
07-15-09, 5:19 am
Sounds like you know where your head's at and know what you want. There is nothing wrong with getting back on track and having no plans of competition in mind. Weight training and good eating should be a part of all people's lives and not just competitive athletes.

With the food you've been eating lately it sounds like you know what clean is and that's a good sign. Lean meats, complex carbs, and a fruit or vegetable are what should be in front of you 5-6 times a day. Leave the worries about maltodextrin in your peanut butter, counting every calorie, and wondering if 1/2 cup of rice is too much to the birds who weigh 140 pounds and brag about their abs yet can't lift a toothpick.

I am not one to oppose snacking between meals either. I know most bodybuilders would drop dead at this concept, but you are a normal human being who gets a little hungry between meals and there's nothing wrong with that. Just know what's acceptable and what's overkill. Nuts, fruits, trail mix, beef jerky or other small meat portions, vegetables, yogurt, and whole grain products are things you should never feel guilty about munching on between meals. There is a difference between eating a handful of nuts and having the whole can so just watch the amount you're putting into your mouth.

I am opposed to cheat meals on a regular basis though, which is something else 99% of people would disagree with me on. As a kid who used to put away a family sized bag of Doritos in a single sitting and not think twice about it, I know that if I indulge like that it will just bring me back to old bad habits.

The only time I have some junk is immediately after a competition. I will have ONE MEAL of pizza, a big burger or fries, and call it there. Prior to my last PL meet I had not had a single slice of pizza in 3 years. Junk just isn't a part of my life any more and I have no desire to consume it. And whatever moron who said that putting processed carbohydrates, artificial fats and the like into your body once in a while is actually helpful towards the fat loss and muscle building process should be maimed. Like the great Siddhartha Gautama preached, eliminate the want. If you put garbage into your body, even if it's once in a while, what makes you think you will ever stop craving it? Eliminate the craving, and then the habit will eliminate itself.

I think since your health proceeds your physique goals, daily cardio should be imperative on your list. At 37 I imagine you have a family and kids to care for, so the rockstar live fast lifestyle of some bodybuilders on the circuit is not appealing to you. I would start with 60 minutes on a cardio machine at a low intensity on days you do not lift, and 20-45 minutes of a little bit higher intensity on days you do lift would suit you well.

Yeah I agree. So far I haven't had any cravings. I've been eating a meal or shake every 3 hours at most. Only once have I been hungry. I'm trying to eat enough to sustain me for that long but not enough to make me feel full. Need to practice eating my meals slowly instead of shoveling the food in. I've always eaten fast though, so that's hard.

I agree on cardio. I'm not sure if I would like to do that much cardio though. I'm going to try and start with 3 days/week of cardio on my off days. And you are correct I have 2 kids and don't get much time with them due to my job so definitely no rockstar life for me.

First meal of the day today 5 oz tuna steak and 4 1/2 oz red potato.

Packed up all my food for the day and will be heading off to work in minutes.

71bbo455
07-15-09, 5:16 pm
morning snack protein shake with milk&egg protein, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natty pb, and 1 cup milk..

5 oz sauteed chicken breast 1 red potato.

5 oz tuna steak, 1/2 sweet potato, broc and string beans.

71bbo455
07-15-09, 6:39 pm
Just finished doing back and shoulders.

Wide grip pull ups 5 sets
8,6,5,4,2 with 10 lbs.
Wide grip bent over rows
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 8
155 x 3
Deadlifts
135 x 10
225 x 5
275 x 3

Military Press
95 x 10
115 x 8
135 x 4
Had to stop have problem with shoulder doing militaries. Need to go back to dumbell presses next time.
Bent Rear Delts
15 x 15
20 x 12
25 x 8
25 x 8 drop set
Shrugs
135 x 10
225 x 10

Unfortunately will need to go back to using straps to do shrugs. I can't hold the weight due to prior shoulder surgery and neck injuries causing nerve damage. It sucks but in order to get the feel in my traps I'll need to use them. No amount of work will correct nerve damage.

All in all a good workout with some changes that need to be made for next time. My prior injuries are still coming back to bite me and I still can't do certain exercises like militaries. Will adjust for next time.

71bbo455
07-15-09, 8:22 pm
Dinner:

5 oz chicken sausage with 1 cup brown rice, onion, cauliflauer, broc, string beans, and mushrooms touch of grated parm cheese.

71bbo455
07-16-09, 4:55 am
Last meal:

5 oz chicken sausage 2 slices cheese.

C.Coronato
07-16-09, 4:30 pm
Keep hitting it hard brother. Keep things going strong.

71bbo455
07-16-09, 7:05 pm
Keep hitting it hard brother. Keep things going strong.

Thanks TTL,

I'm learning a lot about myself and how my body reacts to different foods. For instance I found that if I don't eat enough carbs I feel sick to my stomach. So doing a keto diet would be out for me. I'm also learning that if I eat slower and the right foods I get full on less food. All good things.

The working out is awesome. I feel almost back to being normal for myself. Keep the feedback coming guys it's well appreciated.

Food for the day:

morning snack protein shake with banana, scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp natty pb, 1 c milk.

2 whole wheat wraps with spinach and 6 oz chicken.

pizzetta, whole wheat wrap, sauce, mozz

5 oz chicken, spinach, 1 red potato.

71bbo455
07-16-09, 8:17 pm
Just got done doing cardio. 30 minutes on lifecycle ended up being 10.85 miles. Really tired though, was a long hot day at work. Was really hard to make myself go down into the basement. You guys are giving me some motivation by having this journey to answer to.

71bbo455
07-16-09, 8:39 pm
4 oz chicken suateed with olive oil, garlic, broc, cauliflauer, string beans, onions, and mushrooms served over 1 cup brown rice.

71bbo455
07-17-09, 9:08 pm
Last nights snack:
3 slices american cheese saltine crackers

Breakfast:
3 graham crackers 4 tbsp natty pb glass milk

Green Apple

4 oz grilled chicken with lettuce and honey mustard on whole wheat wrap.

1/2 cup brown rice

1/2 cup brown rice with broc, cauliflauer, onions, muchrooms, string beans, carrots.

Pre workout: Animal Pak

Legs:
stretching and 3 minutes on bike to warm up
leg ext 2 set 20 reps 10 lbs for warmup
squats
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
250 x 1
Leg Ext
50 x 12
60 x 10
70 x 8
Leg Curls
20 x 20
30 x 15
40 x 12
50 x 8
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
bar x 15
95 x 10
115 x 10
Leg Press Machine Calf Press
50 x 20
50 x 20

Not too bad for my first leg workout in a few months. Very long and hot day at work so very happy that I got this done. No more excuses just need to be consistent and put the work in.

71bbo455
07-18-09, 7:37 am
Dinner last night:

6 oz eye round steak cut into strips, broc, caul, onions, carrots, red peppers all rolled into 2 whole wheat wraps.

THis morning 45 minute walk with my dog.

Breakfast:
1/2 cup oatmeal 1 tbsp brown sugar.
3 egg whites and 1 egg.

ryan23
07-22-09, 6:38 pm
Everything is looking good, i would drop the crackers though, they are not doing anything for you, if you have to put the pb on some wheat toast but even better if you can find it Ezekiel bread. And you only need 30-32 grams of pb at one time thats about 2 tablespoons anywhere from 16-18 grams of fats depending on the kind you use, but everything else seems good keep it up.