PDA

View Full Version : Back Question

hosedragger
07-12-09, 3:05 pm
I need help...
What lifts should I do for back strength? I need to get my back and grip stronger for the FIREFIGHTER COMBAT CHALLENGE. We have to hoist a 50 foot rope with a 45lb hose roll up about 5 floors (approx 45ft). Im doing bent over rows and pullups/chins.....I feel their is something else out there I can be doing, any thoughts????

mritter3
07-12-09, 3:20 pm
deadlifts, db rows, rev. bb rows, chins....

Pizzalamp
07-12-09, 3:21 pm
I need help...
What lifts should I do for back strength? I need to get my back and grip stronger for the FIREFIGHTER COMBAT CHALLENGE. We have to hoist a 50 foot rope with a 45lb hose roll up about 5 floors (approx 45ft). Im doing bent over rows and pullups/chins.....I feel their is something else out there I can be doing, any thoughts????

i would focus on diff types of pullups...especially pullups/chins holding onto towels or ropes, weighted pullups/chins

deadlifts/hypers

tbar rows
renegade rows w/ dumbells

workouts using the gigantic ropes if u access to them

Kingquads
07-12-09, 3:44 pm
I need help...

have 2 back days forcusing on different areas like this

day 1 back

deadlift 4 sets like this 10,8,5,20
hypers 3 sets here
heavy barbell shrugs 3 sets 5-8 reps

day 2

day 3

day 4

day 5 back

wide grip chin ups 3-4 working sets
heavy dumbbell row 3x6-8
t-bar row 2x6-10
close grip chin up 3 working sets
underhand chin ups 3 working sets and hold on to your last rep for as long as you can

day 6

day 7

hosedragger
07-12-09, 3:57 pm
thanks....I've done most suggestions at one point or another. I will play with my volume/rep scheme and see what works best, what about alternating between heavy/low reps and light/high reps each week?

Big Phil
07-12-09, 4:30 pm
thanks....I've done most suggestions at one point or another. I will play with my volume/rep scheme and see what works best, what about alternating between heavy/low reps and light/high reps each week?

Some people alternate between 8-12 reps by weeks. 8 reps one week, 9 reps the next, and so on. You can give that a try if you want while sticking with the same weight. Should see some improvements

MVP
07-12-09, 6:34 pm
Deadlifts, barbell rows, t-bar rows, pullups, lat pulldowns, chin ups << all work the back adequately.

Squats work the back isometrically.

J.Damico
07-12-09, 11:28 pm
Glad to see a fellow firefighter on here, you should work on your grip as well, wrist rolls etc. that hoist is a workout

71bbo455
07-13-09, 10:26 pm
I have a friend of mine who was training to become a firefighter. He trained by doing a stairclimber or a treadmill on the highest incline with weights in a backpack. For back strength as well as grip and others try doing a tire flip with a big tire if available. For grip strength try putting a plate on the groud with the flat side down. Pick up the weight using the center collar with your finger tips only. Some unconventional things that can really add some serious strenght.

MojoMike36
07-13-09, 10:58 pm
Just hold a heavy ass BB overhanded for as long as you can. Use a weight that will get your near failure about half way through.

discipline24x7
07-13-09, 11:52 pm
I have a friend of mine who was training to become a firefighter. He trained by doing a stairclimber or a treadmill on the highest incline with weights in a backpack. For back strength as well as grip and others try doing a tire flip with a big tire if available. For grip strength try putting a plate on the groud with the flat side down. Pick up the weight using the center collar with your finger tips only. Some unconventional things that can really add some serious strenght.

Some more unconventionals...Chopping wood or sledgehammer strikes are great for conditioning and grip. Also, heavy farmer walks.

For back, you can't go wrong with deadlifts

Sho
07-14-09, 11:44 am
train the event but with double the weight.

BryanSmash!
07-14-09, 11:59 am
train the event but with double the weight.

x2

Also, use a rope with a larger diameter than the one you will using for the event.

loligagger
07-14-09, 2:49 pm
deadlifts will help for sure. remember to use your legs in the test tho(im picturing you lifting a hose from the ground up), im not sure if that image is correct but you could always grip, squat up the rope, then regrip.

Best of luck on your test man. firefighting is a hell of a job

hosedragger
07-15-09, 4:30 pm
Thanks for all the advice!!! Im in a real unique situation because I have access to lots of stairs, a keiser sled and all the hose and rope I need. The issue is doing it in my home gym. I have a big tractor tire (like the ones they make sandboxes out of) and I made a tire pull device with a truck tire and hose.

Ill give your advice a try!!!

If anyone is around the Lexington KY area..and want to see some serious athletes, stop by the FIREFIGHTER COMBAT CHALLENGE on AUGUST 14-15...it will be one hell of a show!!!

Thanks

trainer89
07-15-09, 8:27 pm
im signing up in college to be a firefighter. looks like im in for a hell of a ride. cant wait.

Tron
07-16-09, 11:19 am
Deads deads deads... Don't use straps/gloves... Go heavy... Also do different rows and pullups/pullovers/pulldowns.