PDA

View Full Version : Warrior in the making...Merat's Journey

Merat
07-12-09, 3:19 pm
Hey guys, after months of nursing and injury and hitting the iron, I decide to drop my bodybuilding goals to return to my true calling and the orignal reason why I picked up a dumbell in the first place, Fighting, Im training in BJJ, No gi grappling and muay thai as well as the odd mma class here and there to turn all I have learnt into a fluid synergy.

I was thinking of doing crossfit, but I didnt like the idea of doing random workouts and such but I am doing somthing like crossfit but is more suited for fighters, Its basically ross training. My schedule will look somthing like the following:

Monday:
Am- Strength Workout A
Pm- BJJ

Tuesday:
Am- GPP and core Session
Pm- BJJ

Wednesday:
Am- Warrior Challange
Pm- No gi or MMA (depends what im feeling)

Thursday:
Am- Interval Training and core
Pm- Muay thai

Friday:
Am- Strength workout B
Pm- Muay thai

Sat:
REST

Sun:
Open mat stuff, going over drills, some sparring, some pad work whatever im feeling for that particular day, however this will be a REST day if I feel like resting up as Friday is sparring only, and can take a while to heal up from.

I know what you guys are thinking OVERTRAINING right? Well heres somthing I heard from somone, and I believe it is true, there is no such thing as overtraining, only lack of recovary, so I basically have to eat, get my supp arsenal in check, and sleep like a baby during the day when I can and at night.

But If I feel I can not in any way physically train, I wont, recovary is essential and if the good ol grub and supps cant do shit for me, it its a sign I prob need to lay for a day, I cmae back from injury and im not going back into that shit.

My martial art schedule will change come september when I get back to school so it will prob be 4 in the weekday instead giving me an extra rest day.

firsthorseman97
07-12-09, 5:08 pm
Definitely subbed for this one, M! Keep us posted on your fight training as well, I'm very curious to what all it consists of.

Merat
07-13-09, 7:42 am
This morning was Strength workout A:

Warmed up with some shadow boxing and light stretches

One arm DB clean and press (from the floor)
1st set: 18kg dumbell for 4 reps per arm
2nd set: 22kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm
3rd set: 24kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm
4th set: 26kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm

One arm DB snatch
1st set: 20kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm
2nd set: 22kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm
3rd set: 24kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm
4th set: 26kg dumbell for 3 reps per arm

One legged bodyweight box squats followed by DB SLDL
1st set: 10 reps per leg followed by two 18kg dumbells for 10 reps
2nd set: 10 reps per leg followed by two 24kg dumbells for 10 reps
3rd set: 10 reps per leg followed by two 26kg dumbells for 10 reps
4th set: 10 reps per leg followed by two 28kg dumbells for 8 reps

Pull ups followed by push ups
1st set: 8 pull ups followed by 20 push ups
2nd set: 8 pull ups followed by 20 push ups
3rd set: 7 pull ups followed by 20 push ups
4th set: 7 pull ups followed by 20 push ups

Finisher:
100 bodyweight squats

finished off with some stretching

My thoughts:
I know for a fact I could of gone heavier but wanted to gauge what I could do, next time will do more weight as I wanna hit the 5 rep and below range, will do pull ups weighted for 4 reps next time, first time doin one legged squats and suprised myself as i wasnt too bad at it, hopefully will do em with a dumbell when im ready! And the finisher I will hit 150 next time!

Tonight is BJJ! Will post up what I did when I come back!

firsthorseman97
07-13-09, 8:27 am
Great workout, M! You put in some work!

Merat
07-13-09, 10:30 am
Great workout, M! You put in some work!

Thanks man, hopefully more people will get subbed to this! More people the better, I count on you guys to push me to my limits!

Merat
07-13-09, 4:15 pm
Tonight was BJJ, this was the earlier class emphasising on basics, which is never somthing you can go over too much! Hell black belts and blue belts come to this class, that how imprtant basics are!

We warmed up, ran around for a few mins touching the ground then going side to side etc, after started sprinting and carried on running after at a gradual steady pace.

This was swiftly followed by three lines, first we did some shrimping down the end and repeated it, we did various rolls as well.

Now in to the drills, started with getting out of turtle position with the other guy sprawling on top of us, did was then followed by triangle, arm bar drills, americana drills, and getting out of half guard into side control finished with some half guard escape into shoulder lock.

Ended things with some position stuff, had to get out of various guys guard and get dominant position, every huge guy I pretty much just failed towards the end due to their weight distibution crushin me! But managed to dominate a couple of guys, we went to defending from somone behind us (attempting rear naked choke) every single guy i had to go againt I go out and gaine dominant position, seems im not too bad off my back.

Unfortunaly we couldnt spar at the end due to goin overtime, unlike most clubs we always spar at the end which I love! Ah well tomorow hopefully I will spar!

Tomorow morning, GPP and core, lookin forward to it!

firsthorseman97
07-13-09, 7:22 pm
Awesome post M! I like the insight into our MMA training. Keep em comin'!

Merat
07-14-09, 7:00 am
This mornin was GPP and Core!

GPP:

did 10 rounds of the following

100 rope turns
10 sprawls
10 push ups
10 bw squats

Had a 1 min break at the 5th round for water

did it in aprox 15mins

Core:
did 3 rounds of the following (1 min rest in between)

15 reps of V ups with 10kg plate
15 reps of Lying leg raises with 15kg plate
25 reverse crunches

The gpp was INSANE got some funny looks but hell I love it when people watch!