155x5
185x5x2

seated crunch
2x15

Bicep curls
25x10
30x10
35x10

I'm still going after that 300lbs raw bench. Once I've hit the mark, I'll get back into equipment. I'll most likely go with a single ply katana since that has been the best shirt for me throughout the years and it has a little of my touch to it. LOL!!!! The phenom has changed too much since when I first started using it and it has changed for all the wrong reasons. I value my shoulders and don't ever want to have surgery on them. Also training for all 3 lifts, so this should be fun.

shortstack
07-13-09, 4:38 pm
Consider me subbed. It's great that you are starting a journel and I'll def be following along.

Shortstack

J Wong
07-13-09, 5:31 pm
Wait...

Asian?

Powerlifter?

ME TOO! subbed

Ragin Asian
07-15-09, 4:48 am
I'm going to try to keep up with Bobby. We set up a schedule so we can train Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. If we miss a Wednesday due to work or whatever, we'll go in Friday. Three days in a row won't kill us, it'll just make us work harder. LOL!! With the way we train, we're going to need the other 4 days for rest. LMAO!

I'm happy Bobby's back on the bench. He handled the weight very well on Friday night and I'm so proud of him for maintaining strict form. He's way ahead of schedule according to the doctor and that's what I expected. I put all my energy and efforts into making sure my warrior would heal fast. My baby gorilla is going to be a beast when he steps on that platform again!

Saturday was a fun day pulling. I almost forgot how much I loved deadlifting, it has been a couple years since I've done it. It was also a crucial workout in that now I know what stance I pull my best. For years I couldn't decide whether I should pull sumo or conventional. Doing both is not a problem, but I couldn't put my finger on why it still didn't feel like I was pulling to my potential. When Bobby had me pull while standing on a 100lbs plate, that's when I FELT what I needed to change. In the past, whenever we pulled off blocks or plates, we'd use two so I could stand with a wide stance. Pulling off of one forced me to keep my feet pretty close together and it felt awesome! Now I know many are going to argue that wider is better for lessening the distance, but I'm not one to jump on changing things to "technically" make any lifter easier. This explains why I probably have the narrowest grip on the bench in the powerlifting community. LOL!!! If I have to work harder than others to perform the same lift, oh well...as long as I lift the weight, that's all that matters to me. So I am now officially a narrow stance puller. teehee

I'm going to need a lot of work on my squat, though. That's my weakest lift. So later on tonight, we're going to put my legs through hell. LOL!!! Woohoo!!!

My short term goal is to do a raw meet and hit 400+ in the squat, 300+ in the bench, and 400+ in the deadlift competing in the 181 lbs weight class. Once I do that, I'll go single ply equipment and see what kind of records I can shatter. LOL!!! I'm going to take my time getting back into multi-ply gear. I need to compete without that added stress for awhile so that I can enjoy the sport and be able to run around to handle Bobby when he competes in the same meets.

This is definitely going to be a fun year!

Ragin Asian
07-21-09, 11:33 am
Last week was a complete and utter mess. Working late hours and then passing a couple of kidney stones at the end of the week is just not my idea of fun. I hate it when my kidney gets in the way of things!!! Well, at least I feel better now and can return to my normal program. UGH!!!

McFly
07-21-09, 11:35 am
this is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big things to come from our lady animal RA!!!!!!

ghost
07-21-09, 11:45 am
Subbbbbed!

JUGGERNAUT
07-21-09, 11:55 am
subbed

Ragin Asian
07-30-09, 4:22 pm
Ok, so we didn't go in yesterday, Bobby's foot swelling is a big concern and my work has me working late hours for our migration project. We're definitely hittin it on Saturday!!! I know my bench has suffered from all the kidney stones and infections, but my strength is still there, just have to get my endurance back up. After my working sets on Saturday, I'm going to use the green band on the arms and do accessory benching to see if I can overload the weight a bit to get used to handling heavier weight in my hands. There's a big difference between doing lockouts at target max weight and using the zane band presses with much heavier weight full range. I think the two accessory exercises combined help push the raw max up higher.

Also, it's safe to say, we definitely enjoy squatting with the safety chains set at target depth instead of box squatting. We're able to keep form and technique with this method whereas with the box squats, it forces you to come out of groove and sit back too much. Athletes who squat in a cage to a box holding the cage structure, I have no respect for. They use the cage to help themselves up with the weight and therefore are cheating in their squats. We've had some folks suggest that for Bobby's recovery so that he wouldn't have to hold the bar on his shoulders just yet and do this with a safety squat bar. No way!!! Bobby has no time in his training, even in recovery, to sacrifice his form and technique. We do just fine with the safety squat bar in the monolift with the chains. :o) No cheating for him!!!! LOL!!!

I was asked if I were to pick one single important component in powerlifting to work on that would help all three lifts....CORE. The core is the most important component. One can have strong legs, shoulders, arms, etc....but a weak core means a weak foundation, therefore, weak lifting.

October 17th...IT'S ON!!!!

Ragin Asian
08-03-09, 10:18 am
8/02/2009 Sunday

Bench - All Raw

Barx5
135x5
185x3
225x3
245x3

Zane Band presses
255x3
275x3
315x3

Deadlift - conventional close stance
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x2
315x2
375x2

Shrugs
225x3x10

Wiped out after that point. Tough doing two major compound exercises in the same day, but well worth it. The hardest part for me is being able to train while dealing with a kidney condition that I will have to battle with for the rest of my life. For the most part, I'm healthy and in somewhat decent shape. But my kidneys are a real pain in my ass. I was diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease, a hereditary disease in which symptoms usually begin to appear between the ages of 30 to 40. There is no cure for this disease, just certain ways to manage it through diet and blood pressure control until eventually the kidney(s) will reach end stage failure and will need transplant. So far, my blood pressure is far better than it was about a year ago when they had put me on blood pressure medication. I have been doing fine without the medication for the past 9 months and just regulating it through diet, exercise and stress management. The painful part of this disease is I get kidney stones, kidney infections and swelling very often. Trying to lead a normal life and continue with powerlifting training is difficult because this disease puts everything at a stand still for me whenever I have any of these attacks. I'm practically useless whenever I have to pass kidney stones or get an infection. So my training is very inconsistent and difficult to maintain routinely. However, I am managing somehow to build my strength and do fairly well when I do get to train on good days.

My hubby is my rock and he has been extremely supportive of me. I don't know what I'd do without him. He keeps me going and I'm very appreciative of his love and great care. Thank you sweetypie, we will do just fine at the meet in October and I promise to give you 110% all the way.

J-Dawg
08-03-09, 10:30 am
Kathy, great journey going here. I didn't realize you had polycystic kidney disease. You're an inspiration for the rest of us, who sometime make excuses to lift despite not having any serious health issues. I'll be checking in to see how your prep goes for your show in October. All the best.

JUGGERNAUT
08-03-09, 12:15 pm
What a great relationship you two have. Very inspiring just from that standpooint alone in addition to both of your outstanding levels as athletes.

Ragin Asian
08-03-09, 2:15 pm
Thanks guys! I was diagnosed a few years ago with the disease and up until then, we just thought that I was prone to getting kidney stones because of dehydration and high uric acid in my urine. When it was happening too often, a urologist poked around a bit more, found that my right kidney was larger than normal and had cysts on it. A special blood test showed that I carry the gene and confirmed his suspicions. It's not something I talk about often outside of our home and try to lead as normal a life as possible. I try to think about many other athletes who go through life with far worse diseases or conditions and yet still have the will and determination to succeed and exceed expectations. I use them as my motivation and figure as long as I can still breathe and wake up each morning, I can continue to powerlift until God decides to take me. My hubby has the same intestinal fortitude and belief, so that's why we're a great match. LOL!!! We go through the same ups and downs like any other couple, we bleed blood red, and we're still human. We just try to get through each day as best as we can and count our blessings for what we do have as well as having each other.

Ragin Asian
08-06-09, 8:44 am
8/5/2009 Wednesday - Stability bench

Warmup
Barx10
135x5

Working sets - 25lbs plates suspended with bands
185x3x6

Decline bench
95x15
135x15x2

Good mornings w/ssb
Barx10
135x10

Rolling DB presses off the floor
25's 4x8

Chest supported rows
45x15
70x10

Pressdowns
30x20
40x15
50x10

Got in a decent amount of work. Really felt it in my triceps as they burned throughout the workout and could barely bend my arms or reach my ears. LOL!!! My triceps kept superpumped when I bench and do any tricep work. Couple weeks ago, one of the guys on the team kept wanting to compare arm sizes and said "Wow, I finally have arms as big as you." LMAO!!! That cracks me up when they do that. He's been really coming along well in his training and I guess he's had a complex for awhile not wanting to be outsized by a woman in the guns department. I believe his arms are bigger than mine...should have used a tape measure so that he'd feel better about it. I don't usually notice these things as I'm used to being around big guys and accustomed to being the "little girl" on the team.

Overall, I Was feeling tired from not having enough sleep lately and working late hours. Animalpak Torrent was pretty much the only thing that kept me going through the workout. We highly recommend using Torrent, Storm and Intra-aid for pre, during and post workout supplementation. You'll be amazed at how much more energy and "extra umph" you get from those products.

McFly
08-06-09, 8:54 am
8/5/2009 Wednesday - Stability bench

Warmup
Barx10
135x5

Working sets - 25lbs plates suspended with bands
185x3x6

Decline bench
95x15
135x15x2

Good mornings w/ssb
Barx10
135x10

Rolling DB presses off the floor
25's 4x8

Chest supported rows
45x15
70x10

Pressdowns
30x20
40x15
50x10

Got in a decent amount of work. Really felt it in my triceps as they burned throughout the workout and could barely bend my arms or reach my ears. LOL!!! My triceps kept superpumped when I bench and do any tricep work. Couple weeks ago, one of the guys on the team kept wanting to compare arm sizes and said "Wow, I finally have arms as big as you." LMAO!!! That cracks me up when they do that. He's been really coming along well in his training and I guess he's had a complex for awhile not wanting to be outsized by a woman in the guns department. I believe his arms are bigger than mine...should have used a tape measure so that he'd feel better about it. I don't usually notice these things as I'm used to being around big guys and accustomed to being the "little girl" on the team.

Overall, I Was feeling tired from not having enough sleep lately and working late hours. Animalpak Torrent was pretty much the only thing that kept me going through the workout. We highly recommend using Torrent, Storm and Intra-aid for pre, during and post workout supplementation. You'll be amazed at how much more energy and "extra umph" you get from those products.

always gettin it in!!! that 300+ will be yours!!!