PDA

View Full Version : projected bench max question

loligagger
07-14-09, 2:07 pm
hey brothers, im on a 5x5 program that i DO NOT ramp the weight with. today i finally got 225 for the full 25 reps.

any ideas as to how much i can bench for 1.
i realize this may be a hard number to project, or even a dumb question, but i thought maybe someone would have an idea.

thanks

EBO13
07-14-09, 2:26 pm
after i got 225x5x5 i figured my max was right around 285... give or take a few pounds... i got up to 255x5x5 and i maxed the week after i finished the 5x5 routine and got 310 for one rep

fenix237
07-14-09, 2:30 pm
that's a really tough question to answer as a lifters conditioning can vary quite a bit- take 2 guys that can bench 225 for 25 reps- one could have a max of 350 and the other 450. it depends on the reps/sets he/she trains with on a consistent basis. i know guys that i can outpress for a 1RM, but they will be able to rep 315 more than me- they have better conditioning

with that said, i'm pretty close to pressing 225 for 25, and my 1RM is around 425-435

EDIT: just caught my mistake- you meant 5x5 for 25 reps...my bad bro

loligagger
07-14-09, 2:42 pm
BRP, i still understand what your saying. muscle conditioning plays a big part. my friend recently did a test were he found his 1RM then 85% of his 1RM until failure. the trainer explained to him that someone who has the SAME exact 1RM may press the 85% max more or
less times.

muscle conditioning plays a big part so ill just let it be known that i do all my presses for low reps and heavy weights.

thanks so far

Young&Hungry
07-14-09, 9:19 pm
Reps mean nothing to your 1RM. I've heard of guys who can bench 600 raw yet cannot do 315 for more than 10 reps, yet guys who can get 315 for sets of 15 only maxing in the low 400's. If you consistently make progress in your rep PR's, more than likely your 1RM will be ready to increase, but by no means is it a guarantee. Leave the estimated max calculations to the guy who made the calculator, and get in the gym and put up some weight and improve each session.

t_mh
07-14-09, 9:26 pm
Yeah it seems like once you get up into high reps you can't really calculate an accurate 1RM. Obviously if you can do 225 2 or 3 times you'll probably have a lower 1RM than someone who can do it 8 or 10, but 25 is probably too far out there. Why not just go for a max?

Young&Hungry
07-14-09, 9:29 pm
Yeah it seems like once you get up into high reps you can't really calculate an accurate 1RM. Obviously if you can do 225 2 or 3 times you'll probably have a lower 1RM than someone who can do it 8 or 10, but 25 is probably too far out there. Why not just go for a max?

Agreed. Just don't be one of those idiots who max out once a month and expect progress. There is a HUGE difference between building strength and testing strength, even if you train on a Westside-style program that is single intensive.

Mizzarler
07-14-09, 10:47 pm
Probably 275-295 give or take.

loligagger
07-15-09, 1:32 am
to make it clear, i did not do 25 reps without a break. i did 5 sets of 5 and got all the reps. sorry for the confusion

MVP
07-15-09, 1:34 am
Check it and see.

Your 10RM is 75% of your 1RM though, so if you can do 225 for 10 reps add 25% and you get 282lbs, so you could without a doubt get 280.

Tron
07-15-09, 8:52 am
Click Here. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1+rep+max+calculator)

Sorry, couldn't resist... Just use one of those. It is right for the fact that is not accurate... The more you do a limit-strength type test, the more your nervous system and all around body system gets acclimated to the situation... In other words you get better at maxing.

Dedicated
07-15-09, 9:42 am
This things are all relative like someone mentioned earlier. I know for me, when I got 225x12 I could get 315. I'm thinking you're on the 300 side of 275.

fenix237
07-15-09, 9:51 am
i know i'm getting a little off topic, but i think this is relevant to our conversation. i trained for a long time in the 1-8 rep range (not counting warm-ups). after some time off from training, i joined with a family member who never worked out before- needless to say, it was not a powerlifting routine.

i was doing 3 sets of 12 on the bench with the heaviest weight i could handle, but still completing my reps. i would keep adding weight as i was getting stronger, and next thing i knew, i was doing 315 for sets of 12- which was really good for me. after about 3 months, i wanted to see where my max bench was, and i was shocked to hit 425 lbs- close to my PR! i built a great bench without doing triples, doubles, singles, negs.

that lesson taught me the value of conditioning- now i incorporate all rep ranges to keep my bench going up...

ghost
07-15-09, 10:04 am
hey brothers, im on a 5x5 program that i DO NOT ramp the weight with. today i finally got 225 for the full 25 reps.

any ideas as to how much i can bench for 1.
i realize this may be a hard number to project, or even a dumb question, but i thought maybe someone would have an idea.

thanks

the ONLY way to know, is to work up to a 1rm. people on here will not be able to accurately gauge YOUR 1RM when we are not you...........