PDA

View Full Version : bench press substitute?

rippedC
07-14-09, 9:01 pm
hey would wide grip dips be a good sub for flat bench press?

Young&Hungry
07-14-09, 9:10 pm

Not really. Why are you looking to replace the flat bench? I'm not saying it works the best for everyone, but the staples will always be the staples.

strivin for more
07-14-09, 9:32 pm

the best alternative in my mind is DB presses. but why get rid of the flat bench?

71bbo455
07-14-09, 10:00 pm
I agree with both no real substitute for bench. But in the absence then db are the best. Also Inclines do wonders for chest. Dips tend to work like a decline and hit the lower portion of you chest.

rippedC
07-14-09, 10:26 pm
i do my incline presses first but when i do wide grip dips i feel it in my mid and lower chest

Littlefry
07-14-09, 11:09 pm
Best would be DB bench in my opinion, but I feel that Bench, Deadleft, Squat, and Row shoudl be the staple of any routine.

MVP
07-14-09, 11:14 pm
Why would you substitute the third best mass building exercise?

Nothing will develop your chest like bench presses.

In Flames
07-14-09, 11:50 pm
I never do Flat BB Benching, only Flat DB Bench. Pro's Andreas Frey and Bob Cicherillo and everyone who works out with him (including others pro's) also never do Flat BB Benching. And they are def. not lagging in Chest development. They also don't do Squats or Deads. Goes to show you with hard work on other exercises you can still get amazing results.

I'm not bashing Flat BB Benching at all. But, you can still get just as good of Chest with Flat DB's and alot of Incline Presses.

MVP
07-14-09, 11:55 pm
I never do Flat BB Benching, only Flat DB Bench. Pro's Andreas Frey and Bob Cicherillo and everyone who works out with him (including others pro's) also never do Flat BB Benching. And they are def. not lagging in Chest development. They also don't do Squats or Deads. Goes to show you with hard work on other exercises you can still get amazing results.

I'm not bashing Flat BB Benching at all. But, you can still get just as good of Chest with Flat DB's and alot of Incline Presses.

Canceling squats and deadlifts are plain ignorant and shows nothing but a p****. If you don't have a medical condition preventing you from squatting you should SQUAT, they're only the two biggest mass building exercises you can do, they are not replaceable.

As far as flat benches go, you cannot say dumbell bench presses can replicate the work of a barbell, the barbell allows better intramuscular coordination by moving the same resistive force, teaching your chest to work together more efficiently instead of independently, it also allows more weight to be lifted therefore more stress to the muscle.

And dumbell benches will work, but they will not replicate a barbell, no way possible. Go in gyms and count the "bodybuilders" using dumbells and the ones using barbells. Then go to westside barbell in California and tell them they can get the same results with dumbells and see what they say.

J Wong
07-15-09, 12:02 am
No, wide grip dips will not substitute a bench press.

To end the DB/BB bench argument, just do both.

MVP
07-15-09, 12:05 am
No wide grip dips will substitute a bench press.

To end the DB/BB bench argument, just do both.

Doing both at the same time is unnecessary.

You could cycle both - do one for 8-12 weeks then the other for 8-12 weeks, but doing barbell and then dumbell on the same day or whatever isn't necessary. It's the same exercises with different resistive forces.

BryanSmash!
07-15-09, 6:37 am
Here's a good thread on this subject:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=26041

hjayss
07-15-09, 6:43 am
Everybody will have a take on it as far as weights replacing bb bench I SAY DB'S. AS FAR AS ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE Pushups (weighted or others). People tend to forget about the staples like a good ole pushup. Some people can bench like crazy but natural bodyweight is a very good alternative because some cats cant do pushups to save their life but give um soe weights and they go to town...That is my 2 cents..

sunny_max
07-15-09, 6:58 am

agreed why wld u wanna substitue it anyways bro....do u have an injury? is it harder for u to do it.....its harder for my workout buddy but he just pushes it....i dnt no ur background bro so cant really comment but wide grips are not a substitute for the best mass builder when it comes to chest.....

Tron
07-15-09, 8:43 am
Everybody will have a take on it as far as weights replacing bb bench I SAY DB'S. AS FAR AS ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE Pushups (weighted or others). People tend to forget about the staples like a good ole pushup. Some people can bench like crazy but natural bodyweight is a very good alternative because some cats cant do pushups to save their life but give um soe weights and they go to town...That is my 2 cents..

Muscular Endurance as opposed to simply Muscular Strength. Why not have both? Very good idea, H.

mritter3
07-15-09, 8:54 am
not the best substitute, no matter how you feel it when your doing dips your not gonna get the same results as you would with the bench.

theharjmann
07-15-09, 9:00 am
the best alternative in my mind is DB presses. but why get rid of the flat bench?

because, to many big lifters even, the flat barbell bench press is mechanically incorrect.

if you are looking to hit your pecs and simply want a bigger chest, it aint about how much you can bench....its about the dumbell presses!

strivin for more
07-15-09, 11:00 am
because, to many big lifters even, the flat barbell bench press is mechanically incorrect.

if you are looking to hit your pecs and simply want a bigger chest, it aint about how much you can bench....its about the dumbell presses!

i agree with this to a point. he earlier said in response to his original post that he feels the dips more in his chest, im assuming he means he feels them more than if he benched. theres a few things you could try and do to throw that off. first, yes, use dumbbells. they will force all kinds of new muscles into working to stabalize the weights. but in my opinion, dont give up on bench yet. if you do low reps, more weight, switch it to more reps less weight. try negatives reps. try slowing the bar down on the negative portion of the rep and blasting back up. for a few days try hittin incline hard first if you do both. most people i know go from flat-> incline. if you switch it for a few days, that may stunt you into growth. and if you arent consciencely planning out the reps and sets beforehand, start. that would help if your one of the people that on chest day just say "lets bench" and just put on and peel the weights without any structure.

and benching may be helping more than you think. if you do dips before you bench, try after. if you can get as many dips fresh as you can after you bench then bench is truely not doing anything. but i dont think thatll happen.

dont give up on it yet bro. good luck.

MojoMike36
07-15-09, 3:23 pm
A small number of people get nothing out of bench pressing for a very quite some time during the beginning of their odessy in weight training.

I myself was one of them. It sucked. I've recommended this same exercise to threads like these over and over because the solution was so simple.

Heres what worked for me.
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBGuillotineBenchPress.html
BB and Smith Guillotine Bench Presses

Besides flying movements it was the only thing that I could actually activate my chest with, get a good pump going, and really feel the weight.

Use Guillotines for a few months then try switching over to regular bench press. By then you should have be able to feel bench pressing in your chest and get real gains out of it in places other than your anterior deltoids and triceps.

rippedC
07-15-09, 5:22 pm

bench press never done anything for me, while incline bench press made my chest grow like crazy

rippedC
07-15-09, 5:26 pm
agreed why wld u wanna substitue it anyways bro....do u have an injury? is it harder for u to do it.....its harder for my workout buddy but he just pushes it....i dnt no ur background bro so cant really comment but wide grips are not a substitute for the best mass builder when it comes to chest.....

i mean do incline bench presses, but ive never really liked performing flat bench presses with either dumbbells or barbells.....it just feels real awkward to me idk, ive tried so many different types of forms, but all of them make my shoulders feel like they are going to pop and my elbows feel like they are going to snap

rippedC
07-15-09, 5:57 pm
yea i did some reading and the flat bench is a must, i just dont like to do it because i aint that strong and it feels awkward, but hey no excuses

ill prolly do something like this next workout

incline bench press 3x8-10
bench press 5x5-8
dips 3x6-10
dumbbell pullover superset w dumbbell fly

MVP
07-15-09, 6:18 pm
bench press never done anything for me, while incline bench press made my chest grow like crazy

You just admitted that you are not strong at bench presses, that's why they never did anything for you, focus on gaining weight and developing it.

rippedC
07-15-09, 6:24 pm
You just admitted that you are not strong at bench presses, that's why they never did anything for you, focus on gaining weight and developing it.

well i already have a well developed thick chest from upper to bottom and since day 1 ive always done bench presses either with bars or dumbbells, but the weight only goes up randomly

rippedC
07-15-09, 6:27 pm

my bench press only goes up when it wants too, even when the calories are high my other lifts will go up but my bench always stays the same

MVP
07-15-09, 6:43 pm
my bench press only goes up when it wants too, even when the calories are high my other lifts will go up but my bench always stays the same

Bench presses aren't evil, they will go up if you train it hard enough. Using 10-12 reps per set makes it extremely difficult to add weight, so I would advise you to switch to 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps and try to increase the weight each session. Also increase the frequency, bench more than just once per week.

rippedC
07-15-09, 10:05 pm
Bench presses aren't evil, they will go up if you train it hard enough. Using 10-12 reps per set makes it extremely difficult to add weight, so I would advise you to switch to 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps and try to increase the weight each session. Also increase the frequency, bench more than just once per week.

i might do that, on my arm day i might sub my close grip bench or regular bench press so it looks like this

chest day

incline press
bench press
dips
isolation movement (for upper chest)
isolation movement (for mid/lower chest)

tricep day

bench press
lying skullcrusher
bench dips
tricep dips

whosnexttt
07-15-09, 10:15 pm
bench press is a must, it will help your chest alot, lower the bar to your chest and go up without locking out and trust me youl feel it in your chest

MVP
07-15-09, 10:47 pm
bench press is a must, it will help your chest alot, lower the bar to your chest and go up without locking out and trust me youl feel it in your chest

Locking out is a part of the range of motion, it helps the elbows adapt to the load.

When you don't lockout you decrease the range of motion and increase the fatigue of the muscle, shortening your workouts, which are never helpful anyway.

whosnexttt
07-15-09, 11:40 pm
Locking out is a part of the range of motion, it helps the elbows adapt to the load.

When you don't lockout you decrease the range of motion and increase the fatigue of the muscle, shortening your workouts, which are never helpful anyway.

ive never done it like that

you dont have to lockout trust me

when i first started i was repping 275 for reps while locking out, then i got some help and the people that helped me said to not lockout, now im repping 500 on the incline and flat...drug free

MVP
07-16-09, 2:55 am
ive never done it like that

you dont have to lockout trust me

when i first started i was repping 275 for reps while locking out, then i got some help and the people that helped me said to not lockout, now im repping 500 on the incline and flat...drug free

I don't believe that for one second. Care to provide a video?

I'll gladly eat my words if you provide a video of you repping 500lbs on flat bench or incline bench (drug free).

The raw non-drug tested world record for 220lbs is 582lbs set by Mike Macdonald.

Source:- http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw-bench-press

Feel free to prove me wrong. As I said, I'll gladly eat my words.

theharjmann
07-16-09, 4:29 am
I don't believe that for one second. Care to provide a video?

I'll gladly eat my words if you provide a video of you repping 500lbs on flat bench or incline bench (drug free).

The raw non-drug tested world record for 220lbs is 582lbs set by Mike Macdonald.

Source:- http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw-bench-press

Feel free to prove me wrong. As I said, I'll gladly eat my words.

bro this aint a contest

everyone is just discussing benching...not how much they can bench

the majority of people dont want to lock out because it places too much stress on the elbows,....any idiot will tell you that.

and if im hoisting 500lbs on the bench press im DAMN sure i aint gonna lock out!

MVP
07-16-09, 4:34 am
bro this aint a contest

everyone is just discussing benching...not how much they can bench

the majority of people dont want to lock out because it places too much stress on the elbows,....any idiot will tell you that.

and if im hoisting 500lbs on the bench press im DAMN sure i aint gonna lock out!

No one said it was a contest, he said he can do reps with 500lbs on flat and incline bench drug free which should be a world record and I said I didn't believe it. I also said if he would provide a video of this world record or at least top 5 world records I'd gladly eat my words. Funny thing is if you go over to the westside forum and ask the guys on there if you should lockout or not they'll tell you only an idiot wouldn't.

Why would you NOT lock out with 500lbs? So you can destroy your elbows and exhaust yourself quicker?

Fatigue of a muscle quicker than it's capabilities is not needed, that is not going to lead to progress, rather than injury.

You should always lock out, period.

theharjmann
07-16-09, 4:51 am
No one said it was a contest, he said he can do reps with 500lbs on flat and incline bench drug free which should be a world record and I said I didn't believe it. I also said if he would provide a video of this world record or at least top 5 world records I'd gladly eat my words. Funny thing is if you go over to the westside forum and ask the guys on there if you should lockout or not they'll tell you only an idiot wouldn't.

Why would you NOT lock out with 500lbs? So you can destroy your elbows and exhaust yourself quicker?

Fatigue of a muscle quicker than it's capabilities is not needed, that is not going to lead to progress, rather than injury.

2 different worlds bro....bodybuilding and powerlifting

granted powerlifters lock out because they have to in order to complete the rep....their game is about numbers

bodybuilding aint about numbers....its about size and shape

and the dude who asked the question simply wants a bigger chest....he doesnt wanna do a meet.

so in that respect locking out is silly

Yeah Chuck Vorgelpohl and his gang wanna lock out.....but Coleman, Cutler and their gang dont wanna lock out.

whosnexttt
07-16-09, 4:54 am

like i stated before i never lock out on my presses, most of the strongest bodybuilders dont lock (look up ronnie coleman, branch warren, those guys are some of the strongest in the game and they do not lockout, maybe on the last 1 or 2 reps its alright)

plus MVP even though you know so much information it doesnt mean all of it is 100 percent true

just curious "how much ya bench?" .......i mean since you know everything you should have a advantage right? your young too, actually your older than me by a couple haha

whosnexttt
07-16-09, 4:54 am

granted powerlifters lock out because they have to in order to complete the rep....their game is about numbers

and the dude who asked the question simply wants a bigger chest....he doesnt wanna do a meet.

Yeah Chuck Vorgelpohl and his gang wanna lock out.....but Coleman, Cutler and their gang dont wanna lock out.

well said!!!!!!!!!!!

MVP
07-16-09, 4:55 am

That is not true at all. Elaborate on how "locking out is silly".

The separation from powerlifting and bodybuilding is steroids and a cutting phase.

If you've payed attention to these powerlifters after they cut bodyfat you'll notice they pack quite more muscle than these so called "bodybuilders" that rely on juice and genetics.

Take it from

This is from Mel Siff:

"So many aerobics instuctors and personal trainers believe this fallacy <never to lock the knees> that we should conclude that human beings outside the fitness centres who lock their knees during normal daily activities such as walking and lifting are misshapen mutants. Presumably they recommend this so as to minimise the risk of knee injury. Somehow, the fact that knee locking is done during many daily tasks and even very intensively with huge loads by Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters without injury is ignored.

These same instructors say nothing about shock absorption and stabilisation at the ankle, metatarsal and hip joints, which are all involved in any movements of the lower extremeties. Nor do they say anything about the fact that rotation about the knee in impossible unless the knee is flexed, which in some dynamic actions (such as sudden internal rotation) can result in serious damage to the knee."

And concerning hyperextension of the joints by locking them out, Dr. Siff states:

"The entire concept of hyperextension is far too casually applied...Even maximal muscle contraction in vigorous overhead Olympic jerks or push presses with heavy loads does not force the healthy knee into hyperextension, so it is highly unlikely that the average client will ever be able to produce even greater forces of extension than the world's strongest lifters. One cannot hyperextend the healthy knee joint by muscle action alone."

BlackNapolean -

You have to look at why you are doing the movement?

If you are looking for overall size and strength in your chest/shoulders/triceps then full reps are the way to go.

Maybe you are looking for an isolation movement for you chest, then "half reps" would better isolate the pecs but there are also much better options out there for isolating your pecs (dumbells).

MVP
07-16-09, 4:59 am
like i stated before i never lock out on my presses, most of the strongest bodybuilders dont lock (look up ronnie coleman, branch warren, those guys are some of the strongest in the game and they do not lockout, maybe on the last 1 or 2 reps its alright)

plus MVP even though you know so much information it doesnt mean all of it is 100 percent true

just curious "how much ya bench?" .......i mean since you know everything you should have a advantage right? your young too, actually your older than me by a couple haha

You mean you're under 19 and say you have a 500lb raw bench press?

I am nothing special when it comes to lifts. I bench pressed with bad form for years, I have rounded shoulders and my personal best is 315lbs.

As far as my information goes, I come to this site for one reason - to help people. I don't ask loads of questions, rarely will you see me ask for help. I come out to help other people, and if I feel my answer isn't correct I won't post. There's been plenty of threads I've read and not knew a correct answer (although had a gut feeling) and didn't post because I didn't want to give bad information.

As far as what I do say goes - you can Google anything that I say. Or better yet, as I stated in another thread you said I was confusing you in. I'll gladly elaborate on any suggestions.

Your joints were designed to lockout, if you do not - you're just going to fatigue your chest much quicker. This will result in quicker ATP loss and the greater potential for joint injuries and a quicker plateau. The range of motion is no different than using a back arch to your advantage. The back arch is designed for the same use not locking out would be - shortening the range of motion. By doing this you're cutting your workout short, not adding to it.

theharjmann
07-16-09, 5:05 am
A) calm the talk about juice on this site....and for the record bbers AND powerlifters juice

B) theres a difference between "half reps" and "not locking out"....we are talking about not locking out here, not half repping. Not locking out means keeping a 175 degree andle betweeen your upper arm and forearm, not a 185 degree angle if you know what i mean.

This is what i mean by not locking out:

http://www.wannabebig.com/wp-content/themes/mimboPro_single/images/article_images/training/wolfe3.jpg

This is what i mean by a full lockout:

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/pics/lockout-partials.jpg

Herd to tell in the second pic but you get my drift.

MVP
07-16-09, 5:09 am
A) calm the talk about juice on this site....and for the record bbers AND powerlifters juice

Bodybuilders do much more of it. And there are much more natural powerlifters.

B) theres a difference between "half reps" and "not locking out"....we are talking about not locking out here, not half repping. Not locking out means keeping a 175 degree andle betweeen your upper arm and forearm, not a 185 degree angle if you know what i mean.

You'll have to elaborate a bit more on this. I'm not sure what you mean.

This is what i mean by not locking out:

http://www.wannabebig.com/wp-content/themes/mimboPro_single/images/article_images/training/wolfe3.jpg

This is what i mean by a full lockout:

That is the way you're joints were intended to work, to fully extend when under pressure. They were not designed to stop in the middle of them, you would be better of doing isometrics. Locking out is part of the range of motion.

Herd to tell in the second pic but you get my drift.

You still haven't answered my question on why avoiding lockouts would be beneficial. I've given you plenty of reasons you should lockout. And saying because bodybuilders do it isn't logical, they are as mentioned (on "advanced" supplements), have amazing genetics, and have been training more than +20 years. You should not train like a professional bodybuilder.

Besides, I'll gladly provide a video of Milos Sarcev (one of the most intelligent bodybuilders of all time) telling the guys he trains to be sure to lock out.

theharjmann
07-16-09, 5:15 am
http://www.wannabebig.com/wp-content...ing/wolfe3.jpg

^^^^^

would you say that is a lock out?

MVP
07-16-09, 5:16 am
http://www.wannabebig.com/wp-content...ing/wolfe3.jpg

^^^^^

would you say that is a lock out?

A picture didn't come up. I got this message.

"This one is down to us!

We have recently redesigned the site and the page you are looking for either doesn't exist or is in the process of being added back in.

Please accept our apologies for this. We will see to it that the developer responsible for this broken link is given 20 lashes (but only after he or she has fixed this problem).

Please check back shortly or click here to return to the home page."

theharjmann
07-16-09, 5:19 am
dude clear ur inbox....this is stupid sending little messages on a post

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wannabebig.com/wp-content/themes/mimboPro_single/images/article_images/training/wolfe3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wannabebig.com/training/mike-wolfe-loses-76lbs-and-increases-his-bench-press/&usg=__pfkB777kbWpG2Mpi0ElTxh9jCBU=&h=300&w=402&sz=27&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=VGYU0eP7vGUeKM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbench%2Bpress%2Blockout%26hl%3Den%26s a%3DN%26um%3D1

MVP
07-16-09, 5:21 am
dude clear ur inbox....this is stupid sending little messages on a post

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wannabebig.com/wp-content/themes/mimboPro_single/images/article_images/training/wolfe3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wannabebig.com/training/mike-wolfe-loses-76lbs-and-increases-his-bench-press/&usg=__pfkB777kbWpG2Mpi0ElTxh9jCBU=&h=300&w=402&sz=27&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=VGYU0eP7vGUeKM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbench%2Bpress%2Blockout%26hl%3Den%26s a%3DN%26um%3D1

Check back with the Inbox in a couple of hours, I'm getting off work and getting some much needed sleep.

At this point I don't think we're going to come to agreement. So let's agree to disagree. Take care of yourself and good luck with your goals.

whosnexttt
07-16-09, 2:25 pm
You mean you're under 19 and say you have a 500lb raw bench press?

I am nothing special when it comes to lifts. I bench pressed with bad form for years, I have rounded shoulders and my personal best is 315lbs.

As far as my information goes, I come to this site for one reason - to help people. I don't ask loads of questions, rarely will you see me ask for help. I come out to help other people, and if I feel my answer isn't correct I won't post. There's been plenty of threads I've read and not knew a correct answer (although had a gut feeling) and didn't post because I didn't want to give bad information.

As far as what I do say goes - you can Google anything that I say. Or better yet, as I stated in another thread you said I was confusing you in. I'll gladly elaborate on any suggestions.

Your joints were designed to lockout, if you do not - you're just going to fatigue your chest much quicker. This will result in quicker ATP loss and the greater potential for joint injuries and a quicker plateau. The range of motion is no different than using a back arch to your advantage. The back arch is designed for the same use not locking out would be - shortening the range of motion. By doing this you're cutting your workout short, not adding to it.

Well look, I see you have spent loads of time doing alot of research, which is cool, but you have to realise you gota do what works for you! Not locking out for me and branch warren have made us dominant!!

Ironjaw
07-17-09, 12:16 am
Well look, I see you have spent loads of time doing alot of research, which is cool, but you have to realise you gota do what works for you! Not locking out for me and branch warren have made us dominant!!

i dont agree with this cat alot but it is true ya gotta do what works for ya.... as for me and this thread Flat bench kills me... i use good form and try to work at it to no avail ... and for me its just a shoulder destroyer.... i get more stimulization from incline and dbs then flat .... now mind you i can bench 335 but for what point when last time i benched how its suppose to be done it crunched my shoulder in .... so then again we go back to the deciding factor of if it dont feel right dont do it .... bc i aint the same as you, you aint the same as G, and so forth .... now dont take this as me preachin cuz god knows sometimes i go on like i am im just trying to get a point thru on an idea thats been brainwashed into everyones mind that flat is the king... when for alotta people it really aint.... lol even ask House.

MVP
07-17-09, 12:43 am
i dont agree with this cat alot but it is true ya gotta do what works for ya.... as for me and this thread Flat bench kills me... i use good form and try to work at it to no avail ... and for me its just a shoulder destroyer.... i get more stimulization from incline and dbs then flat .... now mind you i can bench 335 but for what point when last time i benched how its suppose to be done it crunched my shoulder in .... so then again we go back to the deciding factor of if it dont feel right dont do it .... bc i aint the same as you, you aint the same as G, and so forth .... now dont take this as me preachin cuz god knows sometimes i go on like i am im just trying to get a point thru on an idea thats been brainwashed into everyones mind that flat is the king... when for alotta people it really aint.... lol even ask House.

Many people think bench presses destroy your shoulders, they don't. Bench pressing without barbell rowing does. If you use a horizontal push, you should use a horizontal pull, or you'll definitely get shoulder injuries.

theharjmann
07-17-09, 3:30 am

You are forgetting Ronnie Coleman bro! Hes the most dominant mofo of all time!

MVP
07-17-09, 4:03 am
You are forgetting Ronnie Coleman bro! Hes the most dominant mofo of all time!

Ronnie Coleman used to be a powerlifter before he was into bodybuilding, which was my point with powerlifters carrying more muscle mass than bodybuilders.

Also, Milos Sarcev, IMO, has the better physique in terms of bodybuilders.

theharjmann
07-17-09, 4:24 am
Ronnie Coleman used to be a powerlifter before he was into bodybuilding, which was my point with powerlifters carrying more muscle mass than bodybuilders.

Also, Milos Sarcev, IMO, has the better physique in terms of bodybuilders.

yeah but for the record...coleman NEVER locked out on the bench press lol

MVP
07-17-09, 5:31 pm
yeah but for the record...coleman NEVER locked out on the bench press lol

Every Ronnie Coleman video I've seen he has locked out.

Like the video when he got 49 reps with 225lbs.

I don't see a reason for it, as mentioned, many people believe it's to keep the muscle under more stress but they fail to realize the muscle doesn't rest during lockout, not locking out will cause you to use less weight and fatigue quicker, none of which being beneficial.

My comments won't change your mind so continue to do what you believe is right and good luck in achieving your goals.

rippedC
07-17-09, 8:13 pm
today i did this for my chest workout

incline bench press (getting new pr's every week while sticking to 8-10 rep range!! )
bench press
mid grip dips
db pullover surperset w/ incline flys
wide grip dips superset w/ pec deck

all i know im dropping flys, everytime i do them it shrinks my chest!! and i get better pumps when i do less exercises too

MVP
07-17-09, 8:30 pm
today i did this for my chest workout

incline bench press (getting new pr's every week while sticking to 8-10 rep range!! )
bench press
mid grip dips
db pullover surperset w/ incline flys
wide grip dips superset w/ pec deck

all i know im dropping flys, everytime i do them it shrinks my chest!! and i get better pumps when i do less exercises too

That's because fly's suck. If I want to isolate my chest I'll either use the machine fly's or cable crossovers.

You'll grow just as much with just incline, flat, and weighted dips.

rippedC
07-17-09, 10:56 pm
That's because fly's suck. If I want to isolate my chest I'll either use the machine fly's or cable crossovers.

You'll grow just as much with just incline, flat, and weighted dips.

i can only do bodyweight dips.....but idk because i go all the way down and up...would it be better to do partials like how most people do it and add weight?

MVP
07-17-09, 11:00 pm
i can only do bodyweight dips.....but idk because i go all the way down and up...would it be better to do partials like how most people do it and add weight?

No, do the full range of motion, you don't want to go "too low", but you want to go low enough to fully stimulate the muscle. Do dips everyday, that's the best way to get better at them.

rippedC
07-17-09, 11:32 pm
No, do the full range of motion, you don't want to go "too low", but you want to go low enough to fully stimulate the muscle. Do dips everyday, that's the best way to get better at them.

everyday?!?!?? lol

MVP
07-17-09, 11:50 pm
everyday?!?!?? lol

It's the best way to improve bodyweight movements.

rippedC
07-18-09, 5:02 pm
hey for back is it better to do reverse barbell rows? because when i do regular barbell rows i dont feel it in my lats no matter how slow or light i go

MVP
07-18-09, 5:27 pm
hey for back is it better to do reverse barbell rows? because when i do regular barbell rows i dont feel it in my lats no matter how slow or light i go

What do you mean "reverse barbell rows"? Do you mean with a supinated grip?

Barbell rows, when done with a pronated grip, your elbows should be at 180 degrees.

Barbell rows, regardless of pronated or supinated grip, you should pinch your shoulder blades during the concentric contraction.

rippedC
07-18-09, 5:29 pm
What do you mean "reverse barbell rows"? Do you mean with a supinated grip?

Barbell rows, when done with a pronated grip, your elbows should be at 180 degrees.

Barbell rows, regardless of pronated or supinated grip, you should pinch your shoulder blades during the concentric contraction.

my shoulder blades? wouldnt that get my upper back and traps? i thought barbell rows are for lats?

MVP
07-18-09, 6:24 pm
my shoulder blades? wouldnt that get my upper back and traps? i thought barbell rows are for lats?

The lats are located in the upper back. Anytime you pull from the infront your lats are working.

whosnexttt
07-21-09, 4:42 pm

just do them....in the end your pecs will repay you