PDA

View Full Version : Help me out with cals here boys...

325iS
07-15-09, 11:20 pm
Hey guys,
I'm kinda new to this, kinda not. I'm 23, 6 foot, been lifting for a year in September. I have some decent lifts I guess (squat 225 for reps, bench 225 for a rep, deadlift 225 for 8 reps) but I'd still say I'm a beginner. I'm at about 155lbs w/ 6-7% bodyfat right now (so like 147 lean pounds?). I'm looking to put on some size over the winter but I'm confused about calories. Would you guys say a 3,000 cal diet is a safe start for a guy who weighs 155lbs? Eventually I'd like to be lean again so putting on weight temporarily isn't that big of an issue but I really don't see the point in putting excess fat on my body if I'm going to break my balls in a few months to get it off anyway. I know that naturally there will be some unwanted pounds there...but either way. Also, when I put myself on a 3,000 calorie diet will that be everyday? Or should I eat more on workout days or non-workout days? I'll be taking in a chocolate milk for an insulin spike post workout; 2 cups of that will add 300 cals which should cover what I'll be burning working out?

Thanks for the help guys. The reason I'm not going back to what I was doing last winter was because I put on some excess fat in some areas (face especially, drives me insane) and I worked out 5 days a week and ate like 3500 cals, pretty much forcefed at the end. I also ate a lot of shitty food (3 grilled cheeses a day everyday at work b/c it was the only non fried item there) and worked out like 5 times a week which was too much. I know that if I wanna stay lean I'll have to watch my cals especially if I'm excersising less (3 times a week vs. 5).

Thanks!

Wasteland
07-16-09, 9:03 am
Hey guys,
I'm kinda new to this, kinda not. I'm 23, 6 foot, been lifting for a year in September. I have some decent lifts I guess (squat 225 for reps, bench 225 for a rep, deadlift 225 for 8 reps) but I'd still say I'm a beginner. I'm at about 155lbs w/ 6-7% bodyfat right now (so like 147 lean pounds?). I'm looking to put on some size over the winter but I'm confused about calories. Would you guys say a 3,000 cal diet is a safe start for a guy who weighs 155lbs? Eventually I'd like to be lean again so putting on weight temporarily isn't that big of an issue but I really don't see the point in putting excess fat on my body if I'm going to break my balls in a few months to get it off anyway. I know that naturally there will be some unwanted pounds there...but either way. Also, when I put myself on a 3,000 calorie diet will that be everyday? Or should I eat more on workout days or non-workout days? I'll be taking in a chocolate milk for an insulin spike post workout; 2 cups of that will add 300 cals which should cover what I'll be burning working out?

Thanks for the help guys. The reason I'm not going back to what I was doing last winter was because I put on some excess fat in some areas (face especially, drives me insane) and I worked out 5 days a week and ate like 3500 cals, pretty much forcefed at the end. I also ate a lot of shitty food (3 grilled cheeses a day everyday at work b/c it was the only non fried item there) and worked out like 5 times a week which was too much. I know that if I wanna stay lean I'll have to watch my cals especially if I'm excersising less (3 times a week vs. 5).

Thanks!

Are you committed to your goals? I mean really committed? I'd start by keeping a food log and calculating your total daily calories, and do this for a minimum of a few weeks. It's a real pain, but the groundwork you lay down now will make all the difference in the future. You can't just randomly pick calories out of thin air (well, I guess you could). Besides, if you pick 3,000 calories I'm assuming you'd count them, so you're already thinking of counting, right?

violator
07-17-09, 7:05 am
... but I'd still say I'm a beginner. I'm at about 155lbs w/ 6-7% bodyfat right now (so like 147 lean pounds?). I'm looking to put on some size over the winter but I'm confused about calories.

Thanks for the help guys. The reason I'm not going back to what I was doing last winter was because I put on some excess fat in some areas (face especially, drives me insane) and I worked out 5 days a week and ate like 3500 cals, pretty much forcefed at the end. I also ate a lot of shitty food (3 grilled cheeses a day everyday at work b/c it was the only non fried item there) and worked out like 5 times a week which was too much. I know that if I wanna stay lean I'll have to watch my cals especially if I'm excersising less (3 times a week vs. 5)....

Yo man....
check out these articles below....

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=415

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=309

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=273

congrats dude....uve started the game....now a couple years of hard work in the gym and toil in the kitchen and u might get up to 200....

My advice(not that its worth much) is to research the forvm, especially the diet threads...3 grilled cheese a day will make u blow up like the pilsbury doughboy....just eating a clean diet will help u drop fat right away....what u put in is what u get out brother....and 2 glasses of chocolate milk after a w/o, while it might do...is nothing like whey & dex...or torrent....
uve gotta lot to learn and a long path ahead... and all the above questions have their answers embedded in this tremendous resource we all have at our keyboards.....

happy hunting.....

violator
07-17-09, 7:07 am
Another great thread under discussion right now.....

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=25801

peace...