PDA

View Full Version : Seated BB military press form...

Mizzarler
07-16-09, 5:57 am
How many of you guys actually touch your chest...? Do you think it is wrong to? I bring it down just below my chin and push just short of lockout. Is this still ok...? Just how I've always done em.

Pretty much excactly like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4qQbB4nPo

theharjmann
07-16-09, 7:10 am
yeah thats how i do them

gotta love heavy shoulder pressing!

CuttDeez
07-16-09, 7:28 am
It is all about stress on the front of your shoulder. I mix it up. Some days I try to go slow and touch the chest. Others I try to go heavy and explosive and stop at the chin. It is a comfort level and lots of people stop at the chin because they dont want to hurt there shoulders. It is a lot like when people stop dips when there elbows are at 90 degrees.

Tron
07-16-09, 11:08 am
It is all about stress on the front of your shoulder. I mix it up. Some days I try to go slow and touch the chest. Others I try to go heavy and explosive and stop at the chin. It is a comfort level and lots of people stop at the chin because they dont want to hurt there shoulders. It is a lot like when people stop dips when there elbows are at 90 degrees.

Exactly... for me I stop right at the chin because I feel a big time pull on my shoulder if I go down too far... and anybody who lives around me can tell ya that I have shoulder issues about every fall when I go heavier.

Littlefry
07-16-09, 12:44 pm
Yea, it a personal comfort thing for most people. I stop when my arms are at a 90 degree angle. I have tried touching the chest but I can feel thta it puts unwanted strain on my shoulder, and I woudl rather not risk a shoulder injury so I jsut go to 90.

Mizzarler
07-16-09, 6:05 pm
Thanks guys...Yea it feels unnatural for me to bring it down all the way to my chest. Also, I'm thinking of starting to do standing overhead or military press whatever you wanna call it....Do you think those are harder or easier? Maybe a push press..?

MVP
07-16-09, 6:36 pm
How many of you guys actually touch your chest...? Do you think it is wrong to? I bring it down just below my chin and push just short of lockout. Is this still ok...? Just how I've always done em.

There's no such thing as a seated barbell "military" press.

Military press is required a vertical base, you stand up and put your feet together (like a soldier) hence "military" press.

You can only perform seated shoulder presses, which I don't even recommend because it takes away the ability to work the core.

Enforcer
07-16-09, 7:08 pm

Thats exactly how I do them bro, head back, right down to the bottom of the chin and explode up. Keeps all the focus on your shoulders and wont cause you to go too far down and possibly cause and injury.

Mizzarler
07-16-09, 7:08 pm

Military press is required a vertical base, you stand up and put your feet together (like a soldier) hence "military" press.

You can only perform seated shoulder presses, which I don't even recommend because it takes away the ability to work the core.

Whatever...Overhead presses...I don't care what they're called. They're making me stronger and that's all that matters. And yes I do need to start doing standing.

rippedC
07-16-09, 7:36 pm

its the same thing, the shoulder press code name is the military press, just like bench presses, its really chest presses but the code name for it is bench presses

MVP
07-16-09, 7:40 pm
its the same thing, the shoulder press code name is the military press, just like bench presses, its really chest presses but the code name for it is bench presses

That's not true. Military press and shoulder press isn't the same. Military press is performed standing with your feet together (like a soldier) and overhead/shoulder presses you just lift the bar above your head.

Whatever...Overhead presses...I don't care what they're called. They're making me stronger and that's all that matters. And yes I do need to start doing standing.

I wasn't trying to be a douche, just wanted to tell you they're not the same. Military press is with your feet together and overhead press feet placement is irrelevant.

Ironjaw
07-16-09, 7:40 pm
idk i hate doing them standing i feel if i am doing them standing i should be tossin a log above my head then .... Just IMO

Young&Hungry
07-16-09, 8:00 pm
Standing > seated

Mizzarler
07-16-09, 8:01 pm
idk i hate doing them standing i feel if i am doing them standing i should be tossin a log above my head then .... Just IMO

LOL, lifting a log would def make it more manly

shizz702
07-16-09, 8:15 pm
Standing > seated

Agreed.

Standing works the core, stimulates more overall growth, and is one of the best ways to train for functional strength.

rippedC
07-16-09, 9:39 pm
That's not true. Military press and shoulder press isn't the same. Military press is performed standing with your feet together (like a soldier) and overhead/shoulder presses you just lift the bar above your head.

I wasn't trying to be a douche, just wanted to tell you they're not the same. Military press is with your feet together and overhead press feet placement is irrelevant.

military press or shoulder press, everyone knows its the same thing, if you really care about what an exercise is called, make an exercise up for yourself, you should call it the mvp press.....but its really a dumbbell bench press!! i mean who cares right?

MVP
07-16-09, 9:51 pm
military press or shoulder press, everyone knows its the same thing, if you really care about what an exercise is called, make an exercise up for yourself, you should call it the mvp press.....but its really a dumbbell bench press!! i mean who cares right?

You're not listening. "Military" press and "overhead" press is not entirely the same.

Press. The correct name for the Overhead Press is Press. Most say Overhead Press to avoid confusion with the Bench Press.

Overhead Press is done with feet shoulder-width apart. You can use a staggered stance. Keep your knees locked during the whole lift. Your arms & shoulders push the weight overhead while your torso shifts forward.

Military Press. The Press done with heels together. This makes the Military Press harder than the Press. Intermediate & advanced trainees can use the Military Press as overload: switching to the Press will feel easy.

Push Press. This is a Press using leg drive. The leg drive allows you to lift more weight than with the Press. Proper leg drive gets the bar off your shoulders to nose/forehead level. Your arms only need to lockout the weight.

Perform a short dip, like a quarter Squat. Then drive up, pressing the bar using shoulders & arms. The faster the drive up, the more weight you can Push Press. Lift fast & squeeze your glutes hard.

Jerk. This is what weightlifters like Brent do. Perform a short dip, drive up with your hips, then dip under the bar again while straightening your arms. The Jerk is an explosive movement which allows you to lift the most weight overhead.

If you want to build muscle in arms & shoulders, the Jerk isn’t the best exercise: upper-body is more stabilizing than pressing. Different Jerk styles are possible: split style
(left) & squat style (right).

The same thing applies to the "pendlay" row. It is not called a Pendlay row, that is the correct way to do a barbell row. Glen didn't invent it, nor did he claim to.

Source:- http://stronglifts.com/overhead-press-variations-which-one-you-should-do/

MrMonday
07-16-09, 10:35 pm
In my opinion seated presses are superior to standing if you're trying to build huge shoulders simply because they allow you to move more weight with your delts and not have to worry about stabilization.

If you want to work your core you can do some leg raises and crunches afterwards. lol

And also, "functional strength" is a very dumb concept.

ronald1919
07-16-09, 10:54 pm
seated shoulder press is a one way ticket to a back injury.
functional strength silly ? yes it is...if you are not an athlete and just want to blow up your muscle.

Littlefry
07-16-09, 11:08 pm
I agree with the whole core stabilzation, but I feel that everyone is an indvidual and what works for one person will not work for the next. I try to switch things up every 12 weeks or so to keep my body guessing, and hittting the muscles from different angles. Experiment and see what works best for you.

MVP
07-16-09, 11:09 pm
In my opinion seated presses are superior to standing if you're trying to build huge shoulders simply because they allow you to move more weight with your delts and not have to worry about stabilization.

If you want to work your core you can do some leg raises and crunches afterwards. lol

And also, "functional strength" is a very dumb concept.

How if "functional strength" a dumb concept? Training for strength that will have potential carryover to everyday life is DUMB? Physical strength is by far more important than having big muscles that cannot work together.

Second, standing presses if you have a strong core can allow you to live just as heavy as seated presses. Your core should be worked through every movement. When your core gets stronger everything does.

theharjmann
07-17-09, 3:19 am
You're not listening. "Military" press and "overhead" press is not entirely the same.

Press. The correct name for the Overhead Press is Press. Most say Overhead Press to avoid confusion with the Bench Press.

Overhead Press is done with feet shoulder-width apart. You can use a staggered stance. Keep your knees locked during the whole lift. Your arms & shoulders push the weight overhead while your torso shifts forward.

Military Press. The Press done with heels together. This makes the Military Press harder than the Press. Intermediate & advanced trainees can use the Military Press as overload: switching to the Press will feel easy.

so what is it called when my feet are inbetween being shoulder width apart and together...the ovehead military press maybe?

MrMonday
07-17-09, 10:31 am
How if "functional strength" a dumb concept? Training for strength that will have potential carryover to everyday life is DUMB? Physical strength is by far more important than having big muscles that cannot work together.

Second, standing presses if you have a strong core can allow you to live just as heavy as seated presses. Your core should be worked through every movement. When your core gets stronger everything does.

It's dumb because there is no such thing as "unfunctional strength".

"Muscles that cannot work together"? Are you even hearing yourself?

Young&Hungry
07-17-09, 12:27 pm
Guys, how about get under a barbell and press it overhead on a regular basis instead of fighting over nitpicky technical shit?

MVP
07-17-09, 3:00 pm
It's dumb because there is no such thing as "unfunctional strength".

"Muscles that cannot work together"? Are you even hearing yourself?

I didn't want to type a big long page saying how strength can be unfunctional, but here it goes.

When you work in isolated motions or with machines. You are programing unnatural motor pattern, therefore teaching your body incorrect movement. Restricting the body to work in one dimension can have detrimental effects on the joints. “Motor pattern” is a learning process which the body initiates to perform a movement more efficiently, which is what functional strength is. Learning natural movements by generating force in them with better form and technique. Teaching your body how to work at things in everyday life better.

As limbs move, whether it be in a machine or with free weights, signals are passed through the peripheral nervous system to the CNS. The brain then signals to the limbs through the same path how to change their movement through muscle contraction. It’s a very important factor when learning how to perform lifts correctly, which is why once you get used to working with lighter weights as a beginner, you will work with good form, you teach your body to.

Machines and isolated movements weaken stabilizer muscles, which means when you get stronger in a smith machine bench and return to the flat bench, you will switch from the one dimensional plane to the three dimensional plane where the stabilizers will be required to work, they will be weaker than the agonists (same thing with the synergists) and the strength from the machines and isolated exercises, therefore, didn't carryover (functionally) to the free weights.

so what is it called when my feet are inbetween being shoulder width apart and together...the ovehead military press maybe?

Your feet cannot be apart and together. They are either together or they're not.

t_mh
07-17-09, 3:18 pm
Thanks for that clarification, MVP. I didn't realize there was a significant difference between overhead and military presses.

And I think what he meant was his feet are between shoulder width.

MrMonday
07-17-09, 3:33 pm
I didn't want to type a big long page saying how strength can be unfunctional, but here it goes.

When you work in isolated motions or with machines. You are programing unnatural motor pattern, therefore teaching your body incorrect movement. Restricting the body to work in one dimension can have detrimental effects on the joints. “Motor pattern” is a learning process which the body initiates to perform a movement more efficiently, which is what functional strength is. Learning natural movements by generating force in them with better form and technique. Teaching your body how to work at things in everyday life better.

As limbs move, whether it be in a machine or with free weights, signals are passed through the peripheral nervous system to the CNS. The brain then signals to the limbs through the same path how to change their movement through muscle contraction. It’s a very important factor when learning how to perform lifts correctly, which is why once you get used to working with lighter weights as a beginner, you will work with good form, you teach your body to.

Machines and isolated movements weaken stabilizer muscles, which means when you get stronger in a smith machine bench and return to the flat bench, you will switch from the one dimensional plane to the three dimensional plane where the stabilizers will be required to work, they will be weaker than the agonists (same thing with the synergists) and the strength from the machines and isolated exercises, therefore, didn't carryover (functionally) to the free weights.

Wow... somebody has been reading way too many internet articles.

MVP
07-17-09, 3:35 pm
Wow... somebody has been reading way too many internet articles.

It's not internet articles. It's physiology.

J Wong
07-17-09, 3:37 pm
Guys, how about get under a barbell and press it overhead on a regular basis instead of fighting over nitpicky technical shit?

I was just about to post something like this before I saw your post. Just lift some damn weight that will get you strong, and stop worrying about what a certain lift is called.

MVP
07-17-09, 3:46 pm
Thanks for that clarification, MVP. I didn't realize there was a significant difference between overhead and military presses.

And I think what he meant was his feet are between shoulder width.

No problem. And as long as the heels of the feet aren't touching it's just an overhead press. The idol of putting your feet together for the "military" press is to make the core work harder to stabilize your body, it can lead to a balance problem though.

MVP
07-17-09, 3:48 pm
I was just about to post something like this before I saw your post. Just lift some damn weight that will get you strong, and stop worrying about what a certain lift is called.

So I guess you would rather bad information be passed? People not knowing good form, technique, and proper names of exercises? How can someone come here to learn without discussing principals of exercises?

If discussions like this didn't take place, this forum wouldn't exist nor would it contain good information.

J Wong
07-17-09, 3:52 pm
So I guess you would rather bad information be passed? People not knowing good form, technique, and proper names of exercises? How can someone come here to learn without discussing principals of exercises?

If discussions like this didn't take place, this forum wouldn't exist nor would it contain good information.

I'm not saying it's bad information, I am saying a question about form on a lift doesn't need an explanation on all the variants of the lift.

JUGGERNAUT
07-17-09, 4:11 pm
Let's stick to the OP's question of form.

Mizzarler
07-17-09, 4:37 pm
Let's stick to the OP's question of form.

lol seriously

JUGGERNAUT
07-17-09, 5:01 pm
MVP, would be great if you would do a separate glossary post, I'm not kidding, I'm all for education here.

MVP
07-17-09, 5:08 pm
MVP, would be great if you would do a separate glossary post, I'm not kidding, I'm all for education here.

Huh?

JUGGERNAUT
07-17-09, 5:10 pm
Huh?

Like this:

Push Press. This is a Press using leg drive. The leg drive allows you to lift more weight than with the Press. Proper leg drive gets the bar off your shoulders to nose/forehead level. Your arms only need to lockout the weight.

Perform a short dip, like a quarter Squat. Then drive up, pressing the bar using shoulders & arms. The faster the drive up, the more weight you can Push Press. Lift fast & squeeze your glutes hard.

Jerk. This is what weightlifters like Brent do. Perform a short dip, drive up with your hips, then dip under the bar again while straightening your arms. The Jerk is an explosive movement which allows you to lift the most weight overhead.

MVP
07-17-09, 5:17 pm
Like this:

Do you mean make a separate thread with specific instructions on performing the movements?

That content wasn't from me, I listed the source above.

mritter3
07-17-09, 5:20 pm
i use the exact form as the youtube vid. in post 1, i go down to my chin area slowly and explode back up just short of locking out, i feel, and this is just my own personal belief, that if you to much farther down than your putting alot of unecessary stress to the shoulders and rotator cuffs....just my 2 cents.

JUGGERNAUT
07-17-09, 5:24 pm
Do you mean make a separate thread with specific instructions on performing the movements?

That content wasn't from me, I listed the source above.

Sure, it's really not a bad thing to have, kinda like an ANIMAL dictionary so we all have the same vocabulary. I myself have called seated presses Military presses before plenty of times only because it makes more sense to most but may not be accurate you know?

MVP
07-17-09, 5:28 pm
Sure, it's really not a bad thing to have, kinda like an ANIMAL dictionary so we all have the same vocabulary. I myself have called seated presses Military presses before plenty of times only because it makes more sense to most but may not be accurate you know?

OK, I'll type one up. No problem, I'll list common terms and their meaning "volume", "intensity", "frequency", "compound movements", "deload", "stabilizer", "synergist", "agonist", "antagonist", "military press", "overhead press", and other terms. Would that be cool?

JUGGERNAUT
07-17-09, 5:36 pm
OK, I'll type one up. No problem, I'll list common terms and their meaning "volume", "intensity", "frequency", "compound movements", "deload", "stabilizer", "synergist", "agonist", "antagonist", "military press", "overhead press", and other terms. Would that be cool?

Cool, very much so; thanks. Don't want to hijack this thread either but there is always a place for everything.

MVP
07-17-09, 5:37 pm
Cool, very much so; thanks. Don't want to hijack this thread either but there is always a place for everything.

Check back tonight and it'll be posted. :D