PDA

View Full Version : Chuckeye steaks

LegendKillerJosh
07-16-09, 2:33 pm
Chuckeye steaks are very cheap (usually under $3/lb) and are on of the juciest, tender cuts and are very rare. An entire cow only gets about 2-3 steaks (it is the portion in the center of the chuck just in front of the rib loin) which makes me wonder why it is so cheap. Anyway, here is a few tips to ensure they come out as tender and juicy as possible:

1. take the steak out of the refirgerator 1 hour before cooking it. Cover the entire top of the steak in kosher salt. Let it sit out like this for an entire hour at room temp. Then, rinse the salt of and dry it with a paper towel as much as possible. Don't put salt on meat immediately before cooking or you risk drying it out.

2. all the steak needs for seasoning is pepper and garlic powder. You can pour marinade if you want but chuckeyes are already very flavorful. Do not pierce the steak.

3. grill to a medium-rare to medium. Handle the steak as little as possible and never pierce it.

4. take off the grill and let stand for ten minutes. Do not handle it or cut into while it is still hot, or all the juice and steam will escape.

5. enjoy. A 3-ounce serving of chuckeye steak usually has around 7g of fat and 20-25g of protein. If you ask me the chuckeye steak is the most bang for your buck.

sunny_max
07-20-09, 11:47 pm
good info...thnx bro....

J-PILE
07-21-09, 12:31 am
What's the deal with covering it in Kosher salt and letting it sit for an hour at room temp? (verses just salting it and throwing it on the grill) By the way, now I want a steak. Thanks a lot dude lol

LegendKillerJosh
07-21-09, 12:37 am
What's the deal with covering it in Kosher salt and letting it sit for an hour at room temp? (verses just salting it and throwing it on the grill) By the way, now I want a steak. Thanks a lot dude lol

I can't find the article that explained why adding salt before cooking ruins meat but this method of covering it for an hour then rinsing it off makes it more tender, I don't remember how but believe me it works.

J-PILE
07-21-09, 12:41 am
I can't find the article that explained why adding salt before cooking ruins meat but this method of covering it for an hour then rinsing it off makes it more tender, I don't remember how but believe me it works.

Awesome dude I'll give it a shot... If I weren't half asleep I'd fire up the grill now ;-)

Do you lay the salt on pretty heavy or just the regular amount you would add for taste?

Ironjaw
07-21-09, 12:51 am

why dont you just use a pilon and tenderize it yourself??? saves me time when i cant marinate...

Shamus11B
07-21-09, 3:07 am
Ah pretty soon I will need this cut everday for 12 weeks. Thanks for the recipe bro!

theharjmann
07-21-09, 4:26 am
Chuckeye steaks are very cheap (usually under $3/lb) and are on of the juciest, tender cuts and are very rare. An entire cow only gets about 2-3 steaks (it is the portion in the center of the chuck just in front of the rib loin) which makes me wonder why it is so cheap. Anyway, here is a few tips to ensure they come out as tender and juicy as possible:

1. take the steak out of the refirgerator 1 hour before cooking it. Cover the entire top of the steak in kosher salt. Let it sit out like this for an entire hour at room temp. Then, rinse the salt of and dry it with a paper towel as much as possible. Don't put salt on meat immediately before cooking or you risk drying it out.

2. all the steak needs for seasoning is pepper and garlic powder. You can pour marinade if you want but chuckeyes are already very flavorful. Do not pierce the steak.

3. grill to a medium-rare to medium. Handle the steak as little as possible and never pierce it.

4. take off the grill and let stand for ten minutes. Do not handle it or cut into while it is still hot, or all the juice and steam will escape.

5. enjoy. A 3-ounce serving of chuckeye steak usually has around 7g of fat and 20-25g of protein. If you ask me the chuckeye steak is the most bang for your buck.

......well these are King Coleman's favourite choice of daily red meat intake!

hosedragger
07-21-09, 4:52 am

The salt gets into the center of the steak and brings those deep juices out. If you salt it right before you cook it the salt absorbs the juice around the outside and then dries it out.

Look up Brining, its really close to the same process.

J-PILE
07-21-09, 4:35 pm
The salt gets into the center of the steak and brings those deep juices out. If you salt it right before you cook it the salt absorbs the juice around the outside and then dries it out.

Look up Brining, its really close to the same process.

Good to know thanks fellas... I'm certainly not a good cook, but am getting better. Thanks for the tips.

mritter3
07-21-09, 6:22 pm
Good to know thanks fellas... I'm certainly not a good cook, but am getting better. Thanks for the tips.

steak sounds damn tasty looks like tomorrows dinner is taken care of...thanks for the tip

LegendKillerJosh
07-22-09, 12:42 am
why dont you just use a pilon and tenderize it yourself??? saves me time when i cant marinate...

You don't want to handle meat a lot before, during or after cooking, and especially don't cut it while it's cooking or while it's still hot or all the juices and flavor will escape.