PDA

View Full Version : leg help!

rippedC
07-18-09, 6:07 pm
hey is it a good idea to train legs when my knees make noises as i squat down?

gotta ask these questions sorry

MVP
07-18-09, 6:25 pm
hey is it a good idea to train legs when my knees make noises as i squat down?

gotta ask these questions sorry

Keep your toes around 25-35 degrees (outward) to make the adductors work harder. Your knees will follow over your toes. Be sure that your hips and knees break at the same time and your knees aren't breaking before your hips.

Go to youtube and search Mark Rippetoe squat instruction.

rippedC
07-18-09, 6:41 pm
Keep your toes around 25-35 degrees (outward) to make the adductors work harder. Your knees will follow over your toes. Be sure that your hips and knees break at the same time and your knees aren't breaking before your hips.

i have like a million times hehe

rippedC
07-18-09, 6:44 pm

i have to squat with a 10lb or 5lb plate under my heels........ive spent the whole year trying to improve my flexibility ive had people try to help me with my squats but my heels wont stay on the ground....so....should i even squat or no?

MVP
07-18-09, 7:00 pm
i have to squat with a 10lb or 5lb plate under my heels........ive spent the whole year trying to improve my flexibility ive had people try to help me with my squats but my heels wont stay on the ground....so....should i even squat or no?

That's not a good way of squatting. It can easily result in excessive lean or a forward hunch. The best way to squat is with light weight practicing on utilizing hip drive. If you're not going past parallel you will stress your knees.

When you shift past parallel with the squat, the tension goes from the knees to the hip flexsors and posterior chain. You should always squat past parallel.

rippedC
07-18-09, 7:09 pm
That's not a good way of squatting. It can easily result in excessive lean or a forward hunch. The best way to squat is with light weight practicing on utilizing hip drive. If you're not going past parallel you will stress your knees.

When you shift past parallel with the squat, the tension goes from the knees to the hip flexsors and posterior chain. You should always squat past parallel.

i go ass to ground on my squats, but i just cant keep my heels on the floor

MVP
07-18-09, 7:23 pm
i go ass to ground on my squats, but i just cant keep my heels on the floor

I don't see why not unless you're trying to plantarflex your ankle.

The only way to successfully identify the problem is if you provide a video.

Are you keeping your toes around 30 degrees?

rippedC
07-18-09, 7:24 pm
I don't see why not unless you're trying to plantarflex your ankle.

The only way to successfully identify the problem is if you provide a video.

Are you keeping your toes around 30 degrees?

yep ive tried everything

ghost
07-18-09, 8:24 pm
throw a video up on here, and for God's Sake, do NOT add a crap ton of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s to the thread... all that does is get it flagged.

prowrestler
07-18-09, 9:05 pm
throw a video up on here, and for God's Sake, do NOT add a crap ton of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s to the thread... all that does is get it flagged.

x2

video dude

rippedC
07-18-09, 9:17 pm

sorry it was urgent but dont worry it wont happen again

im a kid i do kid stuff sorry haha

ghost
07-18-09, 9:27 pm
sorry it was urgent but dont worry it wont happen again

im a kid i do kid stuff sorry haha

no worries, but dont use the "im a kid" or "it was urgent" excuse, they dont work. :)

rippedC
07-19-09, 11:42 pm
i cant make or post any videos if i could i would of done that months ago

but so should i squat or not to squat? i hurt my knees a month ago doing heavy front squats on the smith machine, but i know why, it was because i was leaning too much foward so all the tension went on my knees

so even if i have to do squats or front squats with plates on my heels should i even do them? or should i just wait until i can squat properly and when my knees heal up?

Dedicated
07-20-09, 12:31 am
Dude, in all honesty, none of us can give you sound advice. It's your body.

If it was me, I would take some time off, ice my knees, etc. Then slowly get back into squatting--starting off with light weight and perfect form. If you still have knee trouble go to a doctor if you ever want to become a serious lifter. Squats are too important to just drop.

Pizzalamp
07-20-09, 7:02 am
dont squat until your knees are healed

then ask someone who knows how to squat to help you

also sounds like u need to improve the flexibilty of your legs and lower back

strivin for more
07-20-09, 10:53 am
dont squat until your knees are healed

then ask someone who knows how to squat to help you

also sounds like u need to improve the flexibilty of your legs and lower back

yea, id def look for someone "aged" in the art of squatting to give me a hand for awhile.