PDA

View Full Version : ulnar collateral ligament tear

mancunian'freakshow
07-24-09, 10:49 am
hey guys this is my first post in quite a while coz ive only just got my computer up and running again. the problem im having right now is a repetitive strain injury on my left thumb. you may think that it wouldnt effect your training. i know i did. but its got to the point where i cant even pick up a 30lb dumbell without needing to yelp like a dying animal. ive had this before due to being a very hands on person wether its stacking shelves at work, playin on my xbox or in the gym. but ive never experienced it this bad.

it all started last week when i was helpin my dad shift some crap outta the garage when my thumb just pulled. i thought no biggy, rested my left hand over the weekend and its usually gone come next week. anywayz thinkin it was better i went out and blew a load of money on a 3 month gym membership and now i cant do anything which puts pressure on my left hand. so i look like a complete dick in the gym when i have to walk out 5 mins after entering because it hurts too much.

reading up on it i found that it may have something to do with the ulnar collateral ligament which connects the bottom of the thumb bone with the metacarpals in your hand (think thats the right name for the bones in your hand).

alot of the time when the symptoms are as bad as mine the person requires surgery. which would put me out for a very long time when ive blown almost all my money on this gym membership. THIS SUCKS!!!

anywayz i was wondering if anyone in the FORVM had ever suffered similar problems and might say how they pulled through.

mancunian'freakshow
07-24-09, 10:50 am
btw i have spoken to my doc and im going to have an examination on my hand in a couple of days

theharjmann
07-24-09, 11:00 am
get those legs HUGE mate! lol

GJN5002
07-24-09, 12:32 pm
They make lifting hooks, you may be able to use those until the thumb heals up. It might hurt though because it attaches to the wrist near the thumb.

ghost
07-24-09, 1:00 pm
They make lifting hooks, you may be able to use those until the thumb heals up. It might hurt though because it attaches to the wrist near the thumb.

respectfully, this is a terrible idea. If you are injured like this. do Not lift. Cease all activity until you see the doctor and get his Medical opinion. There are no licensed Medical doctors on this board, but this is the closest you are going to get... Go see the Doctor and stop lifting until then.

Also, speak to the manager at the gym,. they can put your membership on Hold for a certain amount of time, adding that time back on at the end of your contract.. at least Powerhouse does.

gtoforce
07-24-09, 1:05 pm
get that looked man
its more important than the gym
i've seen idiots in my gym who's suffering from severe shoulder tear / ulnar tear / forearm pain / knee pain / lower back pain who kept on coming with the excuse that "the gym will heal"

i just think its plain stupid
get that fixed and come back with a whole new air
and dude, that thing of yours will be used for a long time
gym....u can find anywhere

my 2 cents