PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Size and Training Frequency

Sphinx
07-27-09, 10:54 pm
I've come across some mixed information regarding how often someone should or shouldn't train what muscles. Smaller muscles for instance (biceps, abs, calves, etc.) should they be trained more frequently? I've come across information about how those muscles recover faster cause they're smaller and its safer to train them more than the larger muscles which need more recovery time. Is there any truth to this?

I understand it also depends on the individual, but I'm looking at this from a general point of view, my smallest muscles are my biggest lagging muscles in my body. Back, chest, and legs have grown very nicely since I began lifting and getting my diet right, but the smaller muscles haven't budged much.

MrMonday
07-28-09, 12:18 am
If something is lagging it's pretty traditional and productive to train it more frequently.

Most experienced bodybuilders hit at least one or two muscle groups twice a week.

d218
07-28-09, 3:21 am
i try to hit my bigger muscles 2x a week.. bi's and tri's essentially get hit frequently through the pushing and pulling so they dont nteed to be hit directly but 1x per week

Sphinx
07-28-09, 8:56 am
If something is lagging it's pretty traditional and productive to train it more frequently.

Most experienced bodybuilders hit at least one or two muscle groups twice a week.

i try to hit my bigger muscles 2x a week.. bi's and tri's essentially get hit frequently through the pushing and pulling so they dont nteed to be hit directly but 1x per week

I hit the larger muscles twice a week (One week I'll do chest twice, next week back twice, etc.) and I think to myself that the smaller muscles get hit as well and they'd grow in unison, but I don't see it happening. I think I'll try tossing in a few extra sets and see how it goes.

But to my previous question, is it true that the smaller muscles recover sooner which allow them to be trained more?

MrMonday
07-28-09, 10:03 am
But to my previous question, is it true that the smaller muscles recover sooner which allow them to be trained more?

Yes. Biceps, triceps, and calves could all potentially be trained more frequently, and if they are actually lagging behind on you I recommend you train them more frequently (and train them harder in general)

EX:

Back/biceps
Chest/shoulders/triceps
Legs
rest
Arms
rest
rest

However, if you're still a rank beginner, then don't worry about it. Just train everything hard and heavy, keep a logical rotation going, eat enough to gain weight, and get to the gym as often as you can.

ygbodybuilder10
07-28-09, 7:54 pm
well for me i hit legs and chest twice a week because thats what i must do for them to grow, and now i'm hitting calves everyother day.

but when it comes to shoulders if i hit them twice a week, they wont grow, in fact i belive the actually lost size before from me doing that

Litty-T
07-28-09, 9:52 pm
Bi's do get hit throughout the week via different movements. If you wanna hit 'em a second time for the hell of it, make it a light one. As far as calves are concerned, I hit them 3x a week. Usually give a a day or 2 (ideally 2) in between for recovery. But your calves are capable of for wear and tear than you think, hell you're on them all day every day. Endurance is their job. And as for your abs... Every day I train I train abs. I usually do two seperate movements a day though. I wouldn't recommend doin 7 days of leg lifts or decline crunches. Switch it up and throw some different shit in there. Hope this helps.