PDA

View Full Version : deadlifts or barbell rows?

Kingquads
07-29-09, 1:48 am
what is the better exercise for overall back development, barbell rows or deadlifts?

(just trying to get my back wide and thick)

thanks Animals

sunny_max
07-29-09, 2:26 am
I Wld Have To Go For Deads.....hands Down....nothing Puts On Mass Like Pulling That Heavy Weight Off The Floor.......rows Are Good No Dowbt But I Have Have To Go For Deads Of The Two...hope It Helps......

Kingquads
07-29-09, 2:54 am
I Wld Have To Go For Deads.....hands Down....nothing Puts On Mass Like Pulling That Heavy Weight Off The Floor.......rows Are Good No Dowbt But I Have Have To Go For Deads Of The Two...hope It Helps......

thanks for the reply man

but deadlifts just get the traps,middle,lower back but no lats, while the barbell row covers all that and lats, i want to get wide

d218
07-29-09, 2:58 am
why not do both?? cant go wrong with doing both

Kingquads
07-29-09, 3:06 am
why not do both?? cant go wrong with doing both

im a person with a weak grip so if i went all out on deadlifts my hands are dead, even with straps

sanga
07-29-09, 3:23 am
Deadlifts with barbell rows on a diferent day, maybe deadlifts one workout then bent rows the next IMO.

sunny_max
07-29-09, 3:25 am
thanks for the reply man

but deadlifts just get the traps,middle,lower back but no lats, while the barbell row covers all that and lats, i want to get wide

I AM IN STILL IN THE KNOWLEDGE GAINING PHASE WHEN IT COMES TO TECHNICALITIES BUT I WLD HAVE TO SAY IF I WANAN GROW WIDE I COUNT ON WIDE GRIP PULL UPS OR LAT PULL DOWNS?? IF U STILL HAVE TO PICK ONE OF THE TWO U MENTIONED THEN WHY NOT PICK UP ROWS...AS U SAY IT COVERS EVEYTHING? UMMMMM I KINDA HAVE WEAK GRIP TOO SO I PRACTICE ON PLATE HOLDING EXERCISES TO IMPROVE EM? OR JUST USING STRAPS WORKS FOR ME TO PULL THAT WEIGHT UP ON THEM DEADS AND ROWS.......BUT IF UR GRIP IS STILL WEAK AFTER USING STRAPS AS U SAY......I AM SURE SOMEONE WLD COME UP WITH A BETTER ANSWER THAN MINE.....HOPE IT HELPS BRO.......

Kingquads
07-29-09, 3:35 am
I AM IN STILL IN THE KNOWLEDGE GAINING PHASE WHEN IT COMES TO TECHNICALITIES BUT I WLD HAVE TO SAY IF I WANAN GROW WIDE I COUNT ON WIDE GRIP PULL UPS OR LAT PULL DOWNS?? IF U STILL HAVE TO PICK ONE OF THE TWO U MENTIONED THEN WHY NOT PICK UP ROWS...AS U SAY IT COVERS EVEYTHING? UMMMMM I KINDA HAVE WEAK GRIP TOO SO I PRACTICE ON PLATE HOLDING EXERCISES TO IMPROVE EM? OR JUST USING STRAPS WORKS FOR ME TO PULL THAT WEIGHT UP ON THEM DEADS AND ROWS.......BUT IF UR GRIP IS STILL WEAK AFTER USING STRAPS AS U SAY......I AM SURE SOMEONE WLD COME UP WITH A BETTER ANSWER THAN MINE.....HOPE IT HELPS BRO.......

nice caps bro lol

sunny_max
07-29-09, 3:37 am
nice caps bro lol

my work file requires to be typed in caps....din realized it.....thnx for pointing it out lol

Kingquads
07-29-09, 3:56 am
my work file requires to be typed in caps....din realized it.....thnx for pointing it out lol

haha

theharjmann
07-29-09, 6:13 am
what is the better exercise for overall back development, barbell rows or deadlifts?

thanks Animals

BOTH...BOTH....BOTH

these 2 exercises are the BEST exercises for back thickness and width.

Nothing compares to them. If you want a big ass back to these and lots of them.

Dont waste time with loads of wide grip[ pullups/pulldowns; do them but prioritise deads and rows more.

Hercules
07-29-09, 6:25 am
If your grip is weak then you really need to train it harder. Don't neglect certain parts of your body because of something like that. Concentrate on doing some grip training; not forearm curls - those aren't for grip. Leave your straps in the gym bag as much as possible and forget about gloves altogether. Do both deads and rows - no excuses. Use chalk to help keep the sweat off your hands.

Pizzalamp
07-29-09, 6:32 am
gotta do both for great results imo
get the grip stronger and keep working on good form

good luck!!!

The Sun
07-29-09, 6:39 am
both, just alternate.

Muscleguy93
07-29-09, 6:01 pm
well heres my suggestion:

Deads
Rows
Pull ups(wide)

this will get U thick and W I D E.

TigerAce01
07-29-09, 6:21 pm
Both.

-Ace

SQUAT or DIE!
07-29-09, 6:23 pm
Both.

-Ace

word

shizz702
07-29-09, 8:49 pm
Both are great movements, but if I had to pick one it would be deads hands down.

strivin for more
07-29-09, 9:11 pm
thanks for the reply man

sounds like you answered it yourself to me. but if grip is your issue, why not try some straps? they do wonders.

*edit. sorry i hadnt seen that you said your grip was horrible, but even on my most tired days i can get my straps in there pretty good and dig in with like no actual grip left.

Dedicated2Liftin
07-29-09, 9:49 pm
Currently, I alternate every other back workout with each of the aforementioned exercises. Since they're the staple mass builders for back, I go heavy (4-6 rep range) and put whichever one I'm doing that week at the start of the workout. Each movement has its own merits: deads will hit more of your lower back and traps (and to a lesser degree hamstrings, bis, and even a lil quads) while the rows will thicken up your middle back. Ultimately, when you combine the two movements, you'll put on that thickness you're lookin' for.

In regards to the whole strap issue, I don't believe in using them. Before I got into doing heavy deads, I was always doing heavy shrugs to develop grip strength in addition to trap strength. If I were you, I'd start building grip strength via shrugs (and maybe even quarter/half DLs) and translate that into your full ROM DL (and to lesser extent BB rows).

Young&Hungry
07-30-09, 12:03 am
If your grip is weak then you really need to train it harder. Don't neglect certain parts of your body because of something like that. Concentrate on doing some grip training; not forearm curls - those aren't for grip. Leave your straps in the gym bag as much as possible and forget about gloves altogether. Do both deads and rows - no excuses. Use chalk to help keep the sweat off your hands.

Finally somebody said it!

Ironjaw
07-30-09, 12:44 am
no clue why your choosing when you should do both regardless... DL is the overall boddy exercise so if you leave them out of your w/o's your screwing yaself ... but rows add width and thicknes to lats but deads help that as well

mritter3
07-30-09, 8:02 am
i like the deads, i dont think there is another exercise besides heavy ass squats that puts that kind of thickness to one's frame any better.

ghost
07-30-09, 8:13 am

thanks Animals

You want a huge thick back,
there are only 3 things you need to do.
heavy ass bb rows
heavy ass deads
Pull ups.

comparing deads to BB rows, cannot happen. they are both vital to a huge thick back.

msktyshha
07-30-09, 9:15 am
for the grip issue ... exercise with hand grippers, they really strengthen ur wrists hand and forearm muscles and connects them all together better, all of ur grip strength is in ur wrists, if u got weak wrists u got weak grip

Survivor831
07-30-09, 9:58 am
You want a huge thick back,
there are only 3 things you need to do.
heavy ass bb rows
heavy ass deads
Pull ups.

comparing deads to BB rows, cannot happen. they are both vital to a huge thick back.

Agree 100% These three are staples in my back work. It just don't get no better!

Kevlar
07-30-09, 11:16 am
Do them both. I give back its own day. Having weak hands as the reason not to do both is cheating your back at the expense of your hands. I use straps, and it does not tax my grip at all. Suck it up and do both. I do deads, 2 rowing and 2 pull-down movements. There are width and thickness aspects which both are a MUST on back day. Do them both. No excuses. Put on the big-boy pants and outshine those who wouldnt understand as they fear the iron game.

Razor
07-30-09, 1:20 pm
Did deadlift for the first time in about 5 years last night. Sore as hell but damn i feel good. Gonna include it now into my routine. I used to be afraid of it since i kinda hurt my back back then. Now i can feel it but in a good way.

live2lift
07-30-09, 1:26 pm
I agree with others here...do both, but alternate them if you can't handle the grip stress and throw in some pullups to make sure that you hit the lats.

Peace

dyskee
07-30-09, 4:17 pm
BOTH

Kingquads
07-30-09, 4:43 pm
I agree with others here...do both, but alternate them if you can't handle the grip stress and throw in some pullups to make sure that you hit the lats.

Peace

i cant really do any pullups or chin ups lol, i mean i can do like 5 deadhang but since i can only do so little i dont really feel it in my lats, so im gonna wait until i get stronger then ill add them back in

Kingquads
07-30-09, 4:45 pm
for the grip issue ... exercise with hand grippers, they really strengthen ur wrists hand and forearm muscles and connects them all together better, all of ur grip strength is in ur wrists, if u got weak wrists u got weak grip

actually its not really my grip, my hands just get too sweaty, i try wiping them off on my pants but the sweat comes right back when i start pulling, i think im gonna try some baby powder

Young&Hungry
07-30-09, 9:05 pm
actually its not really my grip, my hands just get too sweaty, i try wiping them off on my pants but the sweat comes right back when i start pulling, i think im gonna try some baby powder

Baby powder causes the bar to slide and will only exaggerate a slippery grip. Chalk or another substance that will remove moisture from the hand effectively are the only things that'll help you grip the bar solid.

Kingquads
07-30-09, 9:35 pm
Baby powder causes the bar to slide and will only exaggerate a slippery grip. Chalk or another substance that will remove moisture from the hand effectively are the only things that'll help you grip the bar solid.

but what if i just use it to dry out my hands

Young&Hungry
07-30-09, 9:54 pm
but what if i just use it to dry out my hands

Baby powder does not dry out the hands. Powerlifters will often chalk their hands and add baby powder to their thighs. The reason? The chalk dries out the hands, and the baby powder makes a surface like skin smooth and slippery. When the bar slides up the thighs, the addition of baby powder will reduce friction and make the lockout a bit easier.

Smooth and slippery = not a good deadlift grip.

MrMonday
07-30-09, 10:05 pm
I'm not one of those people who thinks the deadlift is absolutely "necessary" to developing your back, but it is worth noting that all of the best backs in history have been made with regular deadlifting.

live2lift
07-31-09, 11:34 am
i cant really do any pullups or chin ups lol, i mean i can do like 5 deadhang but since i can only do so little i dont really feel it in my lats, so im gonna wait until i get stronger then ill add them back in

The only way to get stronger is to do em bro...even if that means only doing 5 at a time. If you have access to an assistance pullup machine you could throw in some sets there after you sets of 5 to really kill the lats.

I agree with others and say no on the baby powder. One thing you can try that helped me before is to go get a rosin bag like the bowlers use. You should be able to get them at any sporting goods store. It worked for me...give it a try, you might like it.

I'm not one of those people who thinks the deadlift is absolutely "necessary" to developing your back, but it is worth noting that all of the best backs in history have been made with regular deadlifting.

I agree, it is not "necessary" to develop your back but you can't discount what it can do for you in general pulling some heavy ass weight off the floor.

Kingquads
07-31-09, 2:49 pm
The only way to get stronger is to do em bro...even if that means only doing 5 at a time. If you have access to an assistance pullup machine you could throw in some sets there after you sets of 5 to really kill the lats.

I agree with others and say no on the baby powder. One thing you can try that helped me before is to go get a rosin bag like the bowlers use. You should be able to get them at any sporting goods store. It worked for me...give it a try, you might like it.

I agree, it is not "necessary" to develop your back but you can't discount what it can do for you in general pulling some heavy ass weight off the floor.

but baby powder does dowkr, ive done it before with heavy deadlifts, my grip didnt slip or nothing, my hands were perfectly dry so i pulled up some pr's

and to get stronger at pullups keep doing them? nah overtime as your whole body gets stronger you can do more overtime, you dont have to do them every week, plus ive been doing them for a good 6 months now and havent seen any difference in my lats

live2lift
07-31-09, 3:01 pm
but baby powder does dowkr, ive done it before with heavy deadlifts, my grip didnt slip or nothing, my hands were perfectly dry so i pulled up some pr's

and to get stronger at pullups keep doing them? nah overtime as your whole body gets stronger you can do more overtime, you dont have to do them every week, plus ive been doing them for a good 6 months now and havent seen any difference in my lats

to each his own bro, but I honestly dont see the point of posting a question and then taking peoples suggestions and throwing them by the wayside to do what you were already going to do anyways. Not to say that I know everything about lifting but dont post something if you dont even take peoples responses into consideration...we are here to help, not to post responses that dont matter.

Peace

Kingquads
07-31-09, 3:23 pm
to each his own bro, but I honestly dont see the point of posting a question and then taking peoples suggestions and throwing them by the wayside to do what you were already going to do anyways. Not to say that I know everything about lifting but dont post something if you dont even take peoples responses into consideration...we are here to help, not to post responses that dont matter.

Peace

have you even tried baby powder? that stuff works and you guys are saying it dont

Young&Hungry
08-03-09, 9:37 pm
have you even tried baby powder? that stuff works and you guys are saying it dont

Don't ask questions that you already have the answer to. We were just trying to help you out and share our opinions and personal experience.

barbell
08-04-09, 1:34 am
I think both Deads and BBrows are great for mass..I think you should just do both!!
I prefer BBrows early in training and deadlifts last.
At the end of back training, the muscles are exhausted/pre-exhausted so doing deadlifts last gets a real good pump going and you can definintely feel the muscles contractring alot better.

Peace.

GregK
08-04-09, 2:38 am
heavy deads one day... barbell rows and t-bars on another

Kingquads
08-07-09, 3:30 am
i noticed guys like flex wheeler or kevin levrone or lee haney have great backs and they never did deadlifts

MrMonday
08-07-09, 4:21 am
i noticed guys like flex wheeler or kevin levrone or lee haney have great backs and they never did deadlifts

Flex didn't do barbell rows either lol. Although all three of those guys did stiff-leg deadlifts in their prime, conventional deadlifts usually represent a greater risk than benefit to most guys at an advanced level of development. There are simply less dangerous exercises that can be used to further develop the back (eg: T-bar rows, HS rows).

Like I said earlier, the deadlift isn't "necessary" if you want to develop your back... BUT you will notice that the BEST backs in bodybuilding (Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbu, Jean-Pierre Fux) all use deadlifts in their back training.

McFly
08-07-09, 10:56 am

thanks Animals

Back to the original post...seems this got off track and a tad silly IMO...

from my personal experience, once I added heavy bb rows and deadlifts when I started training with Big Al my back developement LITERALLY took off....probably my best body part now. I would incorpate them in every back workout...maybe alternating heavy deads every other week depending how you recover. deadlifting week after week tends to beat me up pretty good but if you young and feel good go for it. BIG BASIC MOVEMENT....put simply....THEY WORK....

Kingquads
08-08-09, 3:45 pm
hey when you do barbell rows your suppose to squeez your shoulder blades right? how come im never sore from this exercise the next day? i tried going slow and i tried lifting like a crazy animal

Muscleguy93
08-08-09, 3:59 pm
hey when you do barbell rows your suppose to squeez your shoulder blades right? how come im never sore from this exercise the next day? i tried going slow and i tried lifting like a crazy animal

soreness dosent mean its not working... just keep rowing.

N. Motta
08-08-09, 4:07 pm

Try and make the movement 'start' with the elbows. Row the bar into your belly button, not your chest. Do like Dorian did, and get a solid one or two count squeeze at the top. Do that, and you have no choice but to feel it.

futurefreak101
08-08-09, 4:13 pm
i do barbell rows..deadlifts...1 arm dumbell row..then i end my workout with like 6 different machines.
so yea do both

MVP
08-10-09, 1:15 am
Barbell rows are better for the back.

A deadlift is performed with force generated from the hips and legs, primary function of the glutes is pulling from the ground.

Dominant stimulus to the back comes from pulling overhead or infront without compromise of distributed stimulus to larger and more demanding muscle groups - like a deadlift and power clean.

Deadlifts are more towards the glutes and lower back, not much overall back muscle is recruited in relation to the row where the back is the agonist.

Kingquads
08-10-09, 1:22 am
Barbell rows are better for the back.

A deadlift is performed with force generated from the hips and legs, primary function of the glutes is pulling from the ground.

Dominant stimulus to the back comes from pulling overhead or infront without compromise of distributed stimulus to larger and more demanding muscle groups - like a deadlift and power clean.

Deadlifts are more towards the glutes and lower back, not much overall back muscle is recruited in relation to the row where the back is the agonist.

deadlifts will make your traps,upper back, lower back thick, and if your doing them right you shouldnt feel it in your glutes that much

MVP
08-10-09, 1:41 am
deadlifts will make your traps,upper back, lower back thick, and if your doing them right you shouldnt feel it in your glutes that much

I've yet to see someone's pullup reps increase from doing deadlifts alone. Muscular hypertrophy is not depended upon muscular involvement in certain movements. The agonist muscle in a deadlift is the glutes, they are the prime movers. You should definitely feel it in the glutes, the lower back doesn't even take stimulus until the bar reaches the point of the knees.

Muscles

Target

* Gluteus Maximus

Synergists

* Quadriceps
* Adductor Magnus
* Soleus

Dynamic Stabilizers

* Hamstrings
* Gastrocnemius

Stabilizers

* Erector Spinae
* Trapezius, Middle
* Trapezius, Upper
* Levator Scapulae
* Rhomboids

Antagonist Stabilizers

* Rectus Abdominis
* Obliques

Source:- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

Glutes are worked more in the deadlift than any other muscle group. That's proof ^.

Kingquads
08-10-09, 2:05 am
I've yet to see someone's pullup reps increase from doing deadlifts alone. Muscular hypertrophy is not depended upon muscular involvement in certain movements. The agonist muscle in a deadlift is the glutes, they are the prime movers. You should definitely feel it in the glutes, the lower back doesn't even take stimulus until the bar reaches the point of the knees.

Muscles

Target

* Gluteus Maximus

Synergists

* Quadriceps
* Adductor Magnus
* Soleus

Dynamic Stabilizers

* Hamstrings
* Gastrocnemius

Stabilizers

* Erector Spinae
* Trapezius, Middle
* Trapezius, Upper
* Levator Scapulae
* Rhomboids

Antagonist Stabilizers

* Rectus Abdominis
* Obliques

Source:- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

Glutes are worked more in the deadlift than any other muscle group. That's proof ^.

idk your prolly right, but most people on these forums would kill me if i said barbell rows are better than deadlifts haha

MVP
08-10-09, 2:09 am
idk your prolly right, but most people on these forums would kill me if i said barbell rows are better than deadlifts haha

Overall deadlifts are better, recruit more hormones like testosterone and GH and will produce more mass. But they aren't a focused back movement, the stimulus alternates to other muscle groups and the back mainly acts as a synergist but with rows back are the agonists.

Both movements should be incorporated in any routine to say the least.

McFly
08-10-09, 8:42 am
ok this is still being debated?

look at the guys with big thick backs...bet they deadlift and row....don't go searching for the few freaks who walk in the gym do some pulldowns and have a freakish back...that isn't the norm...

I don't really look at science or biomechanics....just move some weight, lift heavy and it will come...save the pretty exercises for the pretty boys...there are no short cuts you gotta earn your size

J-Dawg
08-10-09, 8:50 am

look at the guys with big thick backs...bet they deadlift and row....don't go searching for the few freaks who walk in the gym do some pulldowns and have a freakish back...that isn't the norm...

I don't really look at science or biomechanics....just move some weight, lift heavy and it will come...save the pretty exercises for the pretty boys...there are no short cuts you gotta earn your size

Well said McFly. Gotta do both to earn your size. I like to alternate them this way--heavy bb rows one week, then the next week heavy deads. There is no way that I could hit heavy deads or bb rows week after week after week without letting another bodypart suffer or without taxing my nervous system badly (bad for overall growth and development). Stimulate, not annihilate as Lee Haney always said. But if you're a hard gainer, don't spend your time using cables and machines if you want real mass and thickness. Save the machines/cables for when you've got some serious size already (or for the end of your workouts after your muscle group has been taxed).

Muscleguy93
08-10-09, 10:41 am

"there are no short cuts you gotta earn your size"

Im loving this qoute.

Big C
08-10-09, 10:44 am
Well said bro....yeah, you should try and do one or the other. Too many guys I see pumping out their chest and flexing their arms, but when you look at em from behind all I see is a completely flat back and no width at all. That's b/c they are ignoring it or doing what you said.....pulldowns all day. Pulldowns (any grip) serve their purpose but if you expect do get a huge back by doing these and other row machines all day long you are in for a surprise. Too many people don't know the benefits of BB Rows and Deads.......sometimes when I do BB Rows, guys are like "What do those do?"....are u serious?

Ady
08-10-09, 10:45 am
Dedlifts to add the thickness then T-bar rows to add some width. You will always find exceptions to the standard but thats lifting for you. Everyones body reacts different but i would still hit them both hard and heavy on the same day.

TigerAce01
08-10-09, 10:46 am
Well said bro....yeah, you should try and do one or the other. Too many guys I see pumping out their chest and flexing their arms, but when you look at em from behind all I see is a completely flat back and no width at all. That's b/c they are ignoring it or doing what you said.....pulldowns all day. Pulldowns (any grip) serve their purpose but if you expect do get a huge back by doing these and other row machines all day long you are in for a surprise. Too many people don't know the benefits of BB Rows and Deads.......sometimes when I do BB Rows, guys are like "What do those do?"....are u serious?

Wow, really? haha

-Ace

In Flames
08-10-09, 2:33 pm
Do Deadlifts make your waist bigger? I've heard from a couple of top BB'ers who said Deads make your waist bigger which is why they don't perform them.

I always perform Deads and Rows in all of my back routines, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

Kingquads
08-10-09, 2:37 pm
Do Deadlifts make your waist bigger? I've heard from a couple of top BB'ers who said Deads make your waist bigger which is why they don't perform them.

I always perform Deads and Rows in all of my back routines, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

i dont see how that is possible, ive heard that too but looking at the top bodybuilders who live and die by deadlifts, i think that is a myth

MVP
08-10-09, 3:01 pm
You should always do both.

Yes, deadlifts will add thickness to your waste. This is because them and squats require your core to grow.

Kingquads
08-10-09, 3:02 pm
You should always do both.

Yes, deadlifts will add thickness to your waste. This is because them and squats require your core to grow.

so thats how i get those bulky abs?

Muscleguy93
08-10-09, 3:36 pm

J. jackson deadlifts, ronnie deadlifts, Cutler deadlifts, dexter jackson deadlifts, wrath and house deadlift, arnnie and franco deadlifted... the list goes on and on... now look @ their waists how does it look? awesome.... those top BB'ers are screwing them selves off.

and ya king thats how you get brick abs.

MVP
08-10-09, 4:37 pm
so thats how i get those bulky abs?

It would definitely help. A lot of people don't know this but part of the reason Ronnie Coleman is so huge is that he was a powerlifter before he was a bodybuilder. He still used more powerlifting principles into his bodybuilding routine and look at how much better his physique was than most other competitive bodybuilders.

If you've noticed during my advice, I use similar bodybuilding methods, although I use higher reps 10-12 per exercise. I use 80% compound movements in my routine, train each movement 2-3 X's per week. HST is my favorite bodybuilding style routine. DC is good too. But I believe powerlifting methods can help you physique phenomenally.

In Flames
08-10-09, 4:40 pm
J. jackson deadlifts, ronnie deadlifts, Cutler deadlifts, dexter jackson deadlifts, wrath and house deadlift, arnnie and franco deadlifted... the list goes on and on... now look @ their waists how does it look? awesome.... those top BB'ers are screwing them selves off.

and ya king thats how you get brick abs.

Yes they look good don't get me wrong, but their waists are big and blocky.

type-A
08-10-09, 6:17 pm
I cant believe this is still being debated, the answer is BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes deadlifts may not be just be back, but since when is having multiple body parts growing at the same time a bad thing. Do your deadlifts to get that thick, solidly built look, not to mention its usefullness outside of the gym (lifting things, preventing injury etc...) Now is the BB row any more important than the deadlifts? No!, they are both important for developing a complete back. Do your deads, and your rows (not just BB) and then finish your back off with pullups,pulldowns, etc to accentuate, and complete your back.

Bullfrog JJR
08-11-09, 11:13 am

Agreed. Bring your grip strength up by just using chalk (or the dirt off the bottom of your shoes) on those execises, and also try grabbing the heaviest pair of dumbbells you can and just stand there holding them at your sides for as long as you can. You'll be surprised at how quickly your grip strength will jump. That'll help lead to bigger deads and rows, which in turn will lead to a bigger back.