PDA

View Full Version : Protein upon waking up.

1skinnyassedrunt
07-31-09, 8:02 pm
Brothers im confused.

For a while now ive been having eggs in the morning on wheat toast, and everything was fine, then I went for a check up with a nutritionist at the gym i go to, he said that if I were to have cereal or oats and milk in the morning, I wouldnt need to have any added source of protein (ie eggs or whey shake) as there is protein in the semi skimmed milk I pour over it, and that as long as I have a shake/meal 3 hours later it wouldnt matter that much.

My question is this

Truth or myth?

N. Motta
07-31-09, 8:12 pm
My opinion, you need way more protein upon waking, than you will find in that milk.

Your body has been fasting for the last 7-10 hours when you wake up. A good breakfast is one of the pillar's of training, no matter what your goal.

Not to further your confusion, but in addition to what you have been doing, I might recommend some fast digesting carbs upon waking. A banana or something. Keep eating your eggs man.

DanTheMan
07-31-09, 8:38 pm
hm. I guess it'd be good to ask if the nutritionist you're talking to knows you're a strength athlete/bodybuilder, assuming that you are. I'd say it's good for someone who's just the regular gym go-er, but for high performance athletes that count their macros and gram of protein, I agree with iwontquit. But again-- it's on you and what your goals are.

type-A
07-31-09, 9:14 pm
In my opinion,no, maybe it would be ok for the average person who puts around the gym on the elyptical machine but not for somebody who actually lifts. I think that you should always have some eggs or something with additional fat and protein along with some complex carbs (oatmeal,cereal, etc,etc....), I mean you just woke up and have not had anything in your system for about 8 hours. Also I have heard that there is a certain horomone that is released in your body by consuming a moderate amount of fat with breakfast (I want to say its called leptin but I am not sure).

shizz702
07-31-09, 9:16 pm
You need protein and carbs upon waking. The end.

A good combination is some whey and bananas blended in milk, makes for a good easy source of fast digesting carbs and protein.

GJN5002
08-01-09, 10:53 am
that nutrionist should do some research

N. Motta
08-01-09, 12:22 pm
that nutrionist should do some research

This! Haha, I wanted to say this, but I usually seem to offend someone.

Furthermore, if you are actually paying this "nutritionist," STOP! You have a great knowledge base right here, with answers coming from people who are actually chasing the same goal/lifestyle.