PDA

View Full Version : Help with good mornings

FarBeyondDriven
07-31-09, 11:12 pm
Im starting out with a westside routine and im just looking for a couple of basic pointers with GMs cos i aint done them much before. How much flex should i keep in my knees or should i keep them stiff? Also should i be trying to get completely parralel with the ground or stop short of that? My squat is 330lbs and im wondering what i should be shooting for with my GMs with this in mind
Thanks guys

mark
08-01-09, 7:37 am
1) Spend your time focusing more on squats and deads, and actually getting your form down on those first... You can get strong on squats and deads doing squats and deads...

2) Slight bend in the legs

3) Break from the hips, aka, think of making the front of your pelvis point to the floor

4) Squeeze your glutes hard on the way up

5) Don't do less than 5 reps per set till you actually know what your doing, and have great form

6) Lean over as much as you can without significant back rounding

7) Don't use them as a max effort exercise, use them as a supplemental

naturalguy
08-01-09, 7:49 am
Good pointers by mark ^^^^

The tough thing with good mornings is placement of the bar and keeping it from rolling forward but you will get the hang of it after practicing.

BigDubbDiesel
08-01-09, 9:59 am
you guys keep your head up at all times?

i need to start incorporating these into my back routine

naturalguy
08-01-09, 1:17 pm
you guys keep your head up at all times?

i need to start incorporating these into my back routine

I do

FarBeyondDriven
08-02-09, 7:22 am
thanks guys

wedge
08-10-09, 2:10 pm
1) Spend your time focusing more on squats and deads, and actually getting your form down on those first... You can get strong on squats and deads doing squats and deads...

2) Slight bend in the legs

3) Break from the hips, aka, think of making the front of your pelvis point to the floor

4) Squeeze your glutes hard on the way up

5) Don't do less than 5 reps per set till you actually know what your doing, and have great form

6) Lean over as much as you can without significant back rounding

7) Don't use them as a max effort exercise, use them as a supplemental

Excellent, excellent tips. The only thing I would add would be to start off with a light weight and not move up too much until your form is down.