PDA

View Full Version : Outer bicep work

Razor
08-05-09, 9:37 am
Hey guys i've been filling in quite nicely with Stak lately but i've noticed now more than ever that my bicep area closest to my chest has great shape but the outer part facing out just has mass no real shape. What exercises can hit that area. My bicep workout is already killer but obviously i'm missing something. Thanks bros.

CuttDeez
08-05-09, 9:43 am
Hey guys i've been filling in quite nicely with Stak lately but i've noticed now more than ever that my bicep area closest to my chest has great shape but the outer part facing out just has mass no real shape. What exercises can hit that area. My bicep workout is already killer but obviously i'm missing something. Thanks bros.

The way I get that second muscle of the bicep is through hammer work. I do hammer curls and I do cable curls with the tricep extension rope) When my palms are facing inward I hit that other head really well.

Razor
08-05-09, 9:46 am
The way I get that second muscle of the bicep is through hammer work. I do hammer curls and I do cable curls with the tricep extension rope) When my palms are facing inward I hit that other head really well.

Interesting. Cutt is that the dual rope you use or the single one?

CuttDeez
08-05-09, 9:49 am
Interesting. Cutt is that the dual rope you use or the single one?

The dual one. I also like holding my hands in the middle of the rope instead of at the ends where the knobs are. That way I put an emphasis on grip stength as well.

Razor
08-05-09, 9:53 am
The dual one. I also like holding my hands in the middle of the rope instead of at the ends where the knobs are. That way I put an emphasis on grip stength as well.

Wow very cool. I'll definitely throw that in my routine see how it works out.

theharjmann
08-05-09, 9:55 am
Wow very cool. I'll definitely throw that in my routine see how it works out.

i do that for all exercises that require a rope...pressdowns, crunches etc.

as for the outer biceps

just do heavy compound movements and they will grow

barbell bicep curls all the way...heavy weights, light weights, medium weights

soemtimes i just do barbell curls for biceps for the whole of the workout with varying reps and weights.....nothing hits them better!

Razor
08-05-09, 10:47 am
i do that for all exercises that require a rope...pressdowns, crunches etc.

as for the outer biceps

just do heavy compound movements and they will grow

barbell bicep curls all the way...heavy weights, light weights, medium weights

soemtimes i just do barbell curls for biceps for the whole of the workout with varying reps and weights.....nothing hits them better!

You go up and down on your sets?

Fury317
08-05-09, 10:56 am
Cuttdeez has the right idea, go with hammer, OR you can narrow your grip on your BB curls. The closer your hands, the more work you will get on the outer portion.

Also, when you train biceps you probably want to think about prioritizing your exercises. Since the long head is lacking, START with hammer curls or incline DB curls or narrow BB curls when youre fresh. There was an article in Flex a couple months back about it, kinda cool, Ill try to find it.

Razor
08-05-09, 11:00 am
Cuttdeez has the right idea, go with hammer, OR you can narrow your grip on your BB curls. The closer your hands, the more work you will get on the outer portion.

Thanks Fury!

theharjmann
08-05-09, 11:13 am
You go up and down on your sets?

yeah

like to begin with ill warm up on the empty bar.....2 sets of 20 reps maybe

then pyramid up to a plate on each side for my all out set

ill do 2 all out sets

then ill take off a quarter plate each time till i end on the bar

some days i will just stick to a half plate on each side and go for high reps

some days i will stick to 3/4 plate per side and go for a few less reps

it just depends on how my wrists and elbows feel.

sometimes i will do dumbells only

sometimes i will go crazy and train biceps for an hour, using loads of exercises.....some may say thats overtraining...probably is...but i dont care......i do what i need to do to shock my muscles into new growth.

i use this same principle with all muscle groups.....some days i will only do incline bar bench for chest...soemtimes ill do giant sets of 6 exercises....just mess around....keep training fun LOL!

just train ur arms hard bro and they will grow.

peace

whosnexttt
08-05-09, 2:59 pm

outer bicep work? no such thing, by doing basic movements like barbell curls will make your whole bicep grow OVER TIME, its also genetics too, everyone has a different shape with every muscle

Fury317
08-05-09, 3:25 pm
outer bicep work? no such thing,

huh? the bicep is split into two head ya know. His long head is not responding, thats what he said he needed help with. Youre right, though, heavy BB curls will fill the arm over time.

Elite
08-05-09, 4:28 pm
Drag curls are excellent.

Dedicated
08-05-09, 5:20 pm
I've always been told you can't change the "shape" of your biceps. Growing up I had skinny little arms with no peak. Now I have bulky 18 inch arms with still not much of a peak (they're extremely long so it's tough on me.) While I agree that doing something like hammer curls puts a little more emphasis on the outer head, I don't think that it makes much difference in the long run. You just gotta play the hand you're dealt the best you can. If you know what I mean.

sideburnz
08-06-09, 7:16 am
this is basic.. U wanna hit the inner head.. you use a wide grip for bb curls.. n for outer head.. you go for the extremely close grip.. trust me... u will feel it! guarantee...