PDA

View Full Version : Straight bar or Trap bar Deadlift

CommoDick
08-07-09, 1:18 pm
I like the trap bar for dead lifting vs the straight bar. I find that I can lift more, and it's easier to get the form right, but as I've been told by my buddy rexor it's not a competition lift and it's cheating....what do you guys think

BLOWNBY
08-07-09, 1:21 pm
It's definitly not a comeptition lift, and definitly easier cuz it pulls a lot of your back out of it. If you don't have back problems than really no reason to use it unless for some special excersise youwant to mimic or hit a special spot. It's not really cheating anyone other than yourself.

Stick with traditional deadlift w/o straps.

Ironjaw
08-07-09, 1:27 pm
It's definitly not a comeptition lift, and definitly easier cuz it pulls a lot of your back out of it. If you don't have back problems than really no reason to use it unless for some special excersise youwant to mimic or hit a special spot. It's not really cheating anyone other than yourself.

Stick with traditional deadlift w/o straps.

k ive always wanted to ask this cuz i dont get it how do straps help??? i use um for when my grip fails but i dont see how they help pull it off the ground....

BLOWNBY
08-07-09, 1:32 pm
the straps per say don't help you pull it off the ground, but again cheats yourself(forearms). There are times to use straps & times not to.....u make that call.

But when/if you start to pull BIG weight the straps do make a difference in the amount one could pull.

CuttDeez
08-07-09, 1:32 pm
k ive always wanted to ask this cuz i dont get it how do straps help??? i use um for when my grip fails but i dont see how they help pull it off the ground....

You just answered your own question. "i use um for when my grip fails." People use they because they can't pick up the weight otherwise. Which is also why you shouldn't use them. Train that grip strength.

Ironjaw
08-07-09, 1:56 pm
You just answered your own question. "i use um for when my grip fails." People use they because they can't pick up the weight otherwise. Which is also why you shouldn't use them. Train that grip strength.

im a "special" case lol .... and imo that isnt a big enough reason not to use um .... but i have nerve damage in my right hand that pops up at times from gettin hit in the hand with a baseball bat lol but at the end of your w/o your grip usually is shot so i dont see why every thinks straps are cheating ...

JUGGERNAUT
08-07-09, 1:57 pm
My 2 cents.

If you are lifting anything you are not cheating...nuff said.

The trap bar vs. deadlift and straps.

1. You can lift more weight using a trap bar...that was tough

2. Your ultimate goal is to be able to deadlift a ton of weight on the deadlift without straps.

3. Will the trap bar training using way more weight than you could use on your max deadlift help your deadlift? YES...wow that one was even tougher

4. Do you want a sissy grip? Use straps.

CuttDeez
08-07-09, 2:02 pm
im a "special" case lol .... and imo that isnt a big enough reason not to use um .... but i have nerve damage in my right hand that pops up at times from gettin hit in the hand with a baseball bat lol but at the end of your w/o your grip usually is shot so i dont see why every thinks straps are cheating ...

My 2 cents.

4. Do you want a sissy grip? Use straps.

1. Jug said it.

2. I understand the you have nerve damage and thats something oyu have to deal with.

3. I don't think its cheating its just not the ultimate goal like Jugg said. If your ultimate goal was to just get your back bigger then you probably don't have to worry about it. But if your ultimate goal is to deadlift a shit ton you need to train your forearms and get your kung-fu grip!!

Aggression
08-07-09, 2:18 pm
I like the trap bar for dead lifting vs the straight bar. I find that I can lift more, and it's easier to get the form right, but as I've been told by my buddy rexor it's not a competition lift and it's cheating....what do you guys think

Are you trying to enter deadlifting competitions? If so, I'd stick with the straight bar for most of the time. If you're just lifting for the sake of building mass, then I think its good to incorporate the trap bar every once in a while to keep things interesting. I use the trap bar for deadlifting every now and then, just as a means to switch things up.

whosnexttt
08-07-09, 3:32 pm
barbell or trap bar? dont take the easy way out, do regular deadlifts, dont use the trap bar dont use that cheating sumo shit style either! sheesh!! so many cheaters in this world!! hahahah jk

Muscleguy93
08-07-09, 3:46 pm
nothing beats the BB deadlift.

BryanSmash!
08-08-09, 1:13 am
When Al Gerard designed the trap bar about 20 years ago, it was because his back was so beat the fuck up that he couldnt train on straight bar deadlifts and wanted to still be a competetive powerlifter. He trained his deadlifts and squats using his new bar and found that soon he could total more w/ the bar than a regular straight bar. Both Paul Kelso and Brooks Kubik love the fucking thing, and John Wood has even put it back into production with Al's permission.
Me, I really like using it for shrugs. It hits my traps like no other. In addition to deads, squats and shrugs, you can also use it for upright rows for a totally different feel.

If you like using it, then use it.

Jonisocool
08-08-09, 4:13 am
you're in there liftin for you bro.

Dont lift for anyone else. If you want to use a trap bar go for it.

If you want to do a powerlifting competition, then maybe start using the BB. If not, then just doyourthing and most importantly have fun.

But personally. I like the hex bar for shrugs. shits fucking unreal lol.

ghost
08-08-09, 9:57 am
if you are training for a PL comp, use the straight bar. you arent allowed to use a trap bar for deads in competitions. and ditch the straps... i did and im hitting over 450 on deadss with only 8.5 fingers. and on my right hand i can only fully grip with my index finger and thumb. If I can do it, you can as well. hard work will prevail over quick fixes.

Dedicated
08-08-09, 11:40 am
Well. Chalk me up in the pro-strap column. All by myself.

As a body builder, I could care less whether I pull my heaviest lifts with straps on or not, but if my grip strength prevents me from lifting the highest weights possible then there's no reason not to use straps.

Some would say, "You should train your grip so you're strong enough to go without straps.."

Who cares? I want people to compliment my freakin' massive, wide back. Not my grip strength.

BryanSmash!
08-08-09, 12:20 pm
Well. Chalk me up in the pro-strap column. All by myself.

As a body builder, I could care less whether I pull my heaviest lifts with straps on or not, but if my grip strength prevents me from lifting the highest weights possible then there's no reason not to use straps.

Some would say, "You should train your grip so you're strong enough to go without straps.."

Who cares? I want people to compliment my freakin' massive, wide back. Not my grip strength.

Fair enough. Me, I'd rather be able to tear phonebooks, bend nails and close CoC grippers.
To each his own.

Muscleguy93
08-08-09, 1:07 pm
just DL with straps to get a huge back... then do grip work so you can tear phone books...

Big C
08-08-09, 2:57 pm
I prefer the straight bar for deadlifts..........and yes I use straps and a double-overhand grip. I use straps for just about everything and I don't think that makes me a pussy. I agree with the dude above....I could give 2 shits about grip strength. I'm not training for powerlifting competitions here.

I think a trap-bar deadlift would be something interesting just to try out if you went to a gym and they had one........I rarely see em but I saw one once at an ABC. I wasn't training back that particular day though.

shizz702
08-09-09, 1:21 pm
The trap bar is a good substitute from time to time and is one hell of a mass builder in its own right.

Kevlar
08-11-09, 3:46 pm
I deadlift for a huge back. It's a back mass builder. If my grip can't hold what my back can pull from the floor- then I am not going to cheat my back out of the hard busting work because I am tripping on grip strength or forearm strength. It's all about the back. Hard work. When I am pulling until I throw up in my own mouth, I could care less if some loudmouth on the other side of the gym is judging me.

bassmonkey16
08-12-09, 10:53 pm
trap bar vs. barbell? I'll say incorporate both. with the trap bar, you're gonna be pulling some bigger weights, therefore, greater stress on you're CNS, more test and GH production. with the barbell, you're gonna be creating a strong, thick lower back. why not take advantage of both??

as far as the straps vs. no straps.. to each his own of course, but my friends don't call me popeye because i like spinach. I don't use straps, and I've carved out some pretty meaty forearms as a result. I don't incorporate any specific forearm training, just heavy deads and shrugs hit them hard enough

MVP
08-13-09, 12:35 am
I unfortunately have to use straps. This is due to a surgery I had in my hand that never has
fully recuperated. Due to this, I cannot maximize my gripping strength from barbell exercises.

Hand grips don't bother me that much, but having a barbell and near 500lbs resistance squeezing against my hand irritates it to the point of avoiding the deadlift in general without access to straps.

I prefer deadlifting with a strap bar though.