PDA

View Full Version : Fat Gripz

RICER88
08-07-09, 3:04 pm
Hey fellas question here for the masses, have any of you tried fat gripz? did you like them? are they worth the money? Have you used the thick BBs or DBs how did they go? my gym doesnt have em and I think it might be something good to try, just want some input. Here is the web site if you havent heard of em. http://www.fatgripz.com

RICER88

Muscleguy93
08-07-09, 3:38 pm
bro save your money,I wouldnt buy them...you know somthing dosent work when you read "WOW I got bigger arms in 3 weeks!!" or "bigger arms dosent take years". it just wraps the purple rubber on the bar making your 4 forarms work harder, just add some wrist curls.

RICER88
08-07-09, 3:40 pm
thats what i figured, but you know wanted to get some opinions

RICER88

BryanSmash!
08-08-09, 2:46 am
Aside from the terrible ad campaign, I'd say give em a try. They cost forty bucks and have a 30 day money back guarantee, and may add some variety to your workouts. I wouldnt train exclusively with them as the ad suggests, but it might be fun to throw them on now and again. I don't beleive they are a permanent alternative to thick handled barbells and dumbells though.

Jonisocool
08-08-09, 4:07 am
those websites get commission for every credit card number they recieve.

But you can almost get the same effect with wrapping a towel around the DBs when you curl/press, or be crafty and use PVC piping.

Personally I'd rather just save my money and do forearm work afterwards. Fat grips just gunna burn out your forearms before you get to your other lifts. why not just wait til afterwards to work your forearms?

GJN5002
08-08-09, 10:05 am
I thought about getting them too haha. I really wish my gym had fat bars but they are expensive. For 40$ why not give them a try and if you dont like them you can give htem to me haha.

Max-Angle
02-07-10, 11:45 am
Since i read the thread about intodeep getting them for valentines day i wanted to see who all thinks people should get them and who thinks they shouldn't?

Muscleguy93
02-07-10, 1:20 pm
I mean you can try them... but they wont do much. I dont see how a bigger handel with get you bigger arms?

Max-Angle
02-07-10, 1:38 pm
I mean you can try them... but they wont do much. I dont see how a bigger handel with get you bigger arms?

thats what i wanted to hear, prowrestler said they were good but i don't see how they can make a difference they have videos on the site that have nothing about the product it just has people lifting in bad form

ronald1919
02-07-10, 1:40 pm
fat grips are great...read about the benefits of a thick bar.

intoodeep25
02-07-10, 2:30 pm
its not about their website or anything else, its about the fact that their product will convert a pair of my dumbells and anything else i want into fat bars. once your no longer a beginner it helps to have variations like this to spark new growth

mritter3
02-07-10, 3:15 pm
think about it...a larger surface is going to work your forearms more, which works the arms more...its like using a thicker bar for curls and such, i saw a vid of wrath doing a wrist curls with a thicker bar to target his massive forearms...so im going to say they probally work to a point.

ironshaolin
02-07-10, 5:52 pm
They build REAL strength. While they may not necessarily have the utmost usefulness in bodybuilding, they do provide a good alternative to certain things. In pressing movements, thick bars can take the strain off of shoulders. There are a number of people who can't bench anymore due to shoulder injuries, and thickbars allow them to return to that excersise. For pulling, they give you a crazy grip workout, and they will definately activate the forearms to a far greater degree on those excersises. I recommend doing all curl variations with a thick handle.

for sheer strength, they are a necessity. All strongmen train with thickbars at some point or another. Many powerlifters do as well. Ed Coan, the world record deadlift holder has stated that at one point his grip was a limiting factor in his deadlift, so he started encorporating thick bar deadlifts after his regular deads to improve grip.

Max-Angle
02-07-10, 10:19 pm
ill think about it for my birthday

sodapop
02-07-10, 10:41 pm
I don't see how their benefits are arguable. Thicker bar = thicker forearms.

intoodeep25
02-07-10, 11:16 pm
the thing is, you arent the one that needs these. your 16 and weigh very little, you should just be doing the basics

not meaning to pick on you or whatever, but see this is what people do not comprehend. you are a beginner. you need to do the absolute bare basics. eventually when you hit a wall with the absolute bare minimum, you graduate to different tactics. this is an advanced tactic or tool that can add some spice to an advanced lifters routine. the site is cheesy, this aint no miracle arm booster or any of that bull crap, but it is logical, and does make whatever you are using into a thick bar. for me, i feel it will help, for someone like yourself it probably isnt something you need

Little Z
02-08-10, 1:15 am
the thing is, you arent the one that needs these. your 16 and weigh very little, you should just be doing the basics

not meaning to pick on you or whatever, but see this is what people do not comprehend. you are a beginner. you need to do the absolute bare basics. eventually when you hit a wall with the absolute bare minimum, you graduate to different tactics. this is an advanced tactic or tool that can add some spice to an advanced lifters routine. the site is cheesy, this aint no miracle arm booster or any of that bull crap, but it is logical, and does make whatever you are using into a thick bar. for me, i feel it will help, for someone like yourself it probably isnt something you need

x2.. not meant in any form of negative way but in your situation Max basics are the best until you become more experienced..

not to bash on you in any way, but everytime someone offers advice or mentions anything to you, you seem to always go and question it, be it another thread
or you simply ignore the advice given as if we are trying to just amuse ourselves by taking our time to reply to your questions and/or comments..

Little Z
02-08-10, 1:18 am
so im going to say they probally work to a point.

they work.. not to a point.. simply put.. they work..

Max-Angle
02-08-10, 3:14 pm
x2.. not meant in any form of negative way but in your situation Max basics are the best until you become more experienced..

not to bash on you in any way, but everytime someone offers advice or mentions anything to you, you seem to always go and question it, be it another thread
or you simply ignore the advice given as if we are trying to just amuse ourselves by taking our time to reply to your questions and/or comments..

Im sorry man your right

Muscleguy93
02-08-10, 4:46 pm
I don't see how their benefits are arguable. Thicker bar = thicker forearms.

yes, this is what i was trying to say. For forearms YES for bigger biceps/triceps not soo much.

TheTinyHulk
02-12-10, 7:28 am
yes, this is what i was trying to say. For forearms YES for bigger biceps/triceps not soo much.

They have other benefits as well. On presses they can help get rid of shoulder pain and help remove them from the movement.

I've never tried them on any tri movements but I do know they have allowed me to get a bigger bi pump on curls and on pulls/chins.

They do beat the hell out of your forearms, it's easy to see that, but there are also more benefits then one would initially think.

charlievanriper
02-12-10, 9:43 am
Own a pair like them ( not that particular one ) Use them, love them, forearms have jumped 1 inch so far, grip has doubled so far. As far as the functionality guestion as stated earlier a bigger surfice means more strength. Thats all folks love em or hate em they work.

Now for you using them, its been said before your 16 and starting out just lift, eat, and stick to the basics until you have built a foundation. And quit guestioning Advice from guys that have been lifting since before you were born.

That said go get under some weight.

fenix237
02-15-10, 12:05 pm
i've been contemplating purchasing these for awhile- after reading up on them, i'm gonna give them a shot. if i don't like them, i can get a refund, so why not?

intoodeep25
02-15-10, 12:48 pm
funny that this just got bumped up. i JUST finished my first session with these. it was shoulder/traps day, the only thing i used them for was barbell shrugs, then db shrugs. my forearms were fried, things are ridiculous *dang you tiny hands!!!* but i can tell, my forearms are gonna be even bigger that the 14's im already sportin, which is well worth it. cons: you wont be able to move as much weight since its much harder to grip the bar with these bad boys. also, they dont fit onto the bar as tight as i would like, theres a little wiggle room once you put them on, which i didnt expect/dont care for. but its manageable, no biggie. definitely worth picking up a pair, your forearms size/grip strength will be well worth it

ironshaolin
02-15-10, 2:39 pm
I have a pair of "tyler gripz", not much different than fat gripz. Today, I used them for rack deadlifts after my deadlift session. With a regular bar from the floor, I worked up to a new PR of 380x1. My grip was slipping. So, support excersise was rack pulls from just above the knee, and with a staggered grip, I was able to work up to 245x3. I'm certain this is improving my grip, and when I go back to a normal bar, its easy as cake to grip it.

strivin for more
02-15-10, 2:50 pm
i like what jim wendler had to say for high rep DB row for grip strength. along with those, strapless deadlifts help too. just an alternative to these.

prafull
02-15-10, 3:07 pm
The point here is that when a grip is thicker it strains your forearms and forces them to grow. As someone already mentioned before that we can use innovative methods like wrapping a towel etc. And most of us are not able to grow bigger arms is cuz of the fact that the forearms are not strong enough and thus effects our curling.
Take it from someone who is training with thick barbells, i've really seen my forearm strength and size go up which has resulted in an increase of an inch in my arms in the last two months. For some it may not be much but it has been a huge accomplishment for me. In the end i'm happy and continuing to grow.
I can't say about FAT GRIPZ but if you do not have access to fat bars and dumbbells, give it a try. It may surely work in addition to wrist curls etc.

So the bottom line is strong forearms lead to stronger bi's.

fenix237
02-15-10, 3:14 pm
i know this is a bit off topic, but since somebody mention jim wendler, i was wondering if using fatgrips (whatever brand) on his 5/3/1 program would be a good idea? since you start out 'too 'light' on this program, you have some time to build up your grip before you get into serious weight where you would normally throw on lifting straps